Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 29th November 2009, 19:40   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
As mentioned above, run a memtest and also clean the CPU fan. If your Cabinet has a fan, then clean its exhaust path as well. After doing all this also try to download the latest Video Drivers.

If stil lthe same issue after all this, you have to upgrade your Processor / MB / RAM.

Is it an Onborad Grapics adapter or a graphics card like Nvidia?
CPU fan is cleaned. RAM cleaned. Tested PC in safe mode too. But still the problem persists. How do i do the memtest? Do i go to command prompt and type 'memtest'?

And it's got onboard graphics.
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 21:02   #47
BHPian

Yes, run command prompt and type memtest. It is problem of notorious P4. I won't be surprised if you tried to remove the CPU cooler and find it fuzed to the processor surface. If you are facing the problem even in safe mode (when no heavy duty apps are loaded), it is time to say goodbye to your processor/mb/memory/PSU combo.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2009, 22:15   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
CPU fan is cleaned. RAM cleaned. Tested PC in safe mode too. But still the problem persists. How do i do the memtest? Do i go to command prompt and type 'memtest'?

And it's got onboard graphics.
Its time to invest in for new computer. Your set up is too old and the symptoms you are listing clearly indicate that your setup has aged ( aged gracefully I think ) and not performing optimally.

I suggest you dont spend more time in an attempt to repair it.
aaggoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 00:14   #49
BHPian

If the memtest and the Safemode scan are not fruitful better upgrade. I would suggects this config coz it can stand the tides of time (atleast for another 4 years)

MB : Intel D33 (seletc the MB according to form factor. If yours is ATX then go for D33FB or go for D33BU i its microATX)

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel Core 2 Quad

Ram : Any one but branded. 2 GB should do.

Also do not forget to buy a Antivirus. I prefer Kaspersky coz I am using it for the past 2 years. Low on your resources. Detects everything.
jasonbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 02:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

^^^^
add to that 24 pin SMPS
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 15:09   #51
Team-BHP Support

I tried to run 'memtest' on my PC from the command prompt and it gave an error. Is there something i may have missed out? Also, what exactly does this do?
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 16:52   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonbourne View Post
If the memtest and the Safemode scan are not fruitful better upgrade. I would suggects this config coz it can stand the tides of time (atleast for another 4 years)

MB : Intel D33 (seletc the MB according to form factor. If yours is ATX then go for D33FB or go for D33BU i its microATX)

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo or Intel Core 2 Quad

Ram : Any one but branded. 2 GB should do.

Also do not forget to buy a Antivirus. I prefer Kaspersky coz I am using it for the past 2 years. Low on your resources. Detects everything.

I think its better to go for 45 series than 33 as you have mentioned. Also P series will be good. A decent 8400 will not cost more. Kingston or Transcend Ram will do, but avoid Dynet.

But before jumping into Intel systems, have a look at AMD set up too. They have improved a lot and are offering very good performance.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:15   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I tried to run 'memtest' on my PC from the command prompt and it gave an error. Is there something i may have missed out? Also, what exactly does this do?
The issue could be with the RAM then. Is it a DDR?
jasonbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 19:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for all the help guys. I think its time to bade goodbye to my CPU and get a new one.

P.S: memtest is an invalid command
theragingbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2009, 20:48   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
Thanks for all the help guys. I think its time to bade goodbye to my CPU and get a new one.

P.S: memtest is an invalid command
Actually memtest needs to be run from a boot floppy or a bootable CD. Most installation CDs come with memtest and run a test on memory prior to installation (like the Ubuntu Live CD).

@ragingbull. I think your HDD also must've taken a lot of beating due to frequent hangups and hard resets. You might need to backup your data sooner than later.

Last edited by NutsNBolts : 30th November 2009 at 20:55.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 00:46   #56
BHPian

My problem might have something in common with benbsb29's and the ragingbull's problem. Since the past few weeks my PC have been driving me up the wall: 1. Very sloooowww startup, it takes a few minutes from login to full usability. 2. Random power off and restart, sometimes within one hour of fresh login.

System configurations is: Intel P4 Presscott 3.0 ghz, (for motherboard see screen shot), 512+512mb RAM, onboard graphics, Windows XP Sp2, etc.

After scouring through the net I had tried various things: cleaned the CPU heatsink, ran scans with two different antivirus softwares, used Regseeker to clean registry (regularly), used Spybot S&D and CCleaner as well; Ad-Aware service cannot be initiated (?), so can't use it. I also did a repair re-install of XP. Nothing have helped. BTW, firewall is always active so no worry on that front, hopefully!

Maybe it is a overheating problem but where is the temp3 zone as indicated by SpeedFan (refer image)? I am also attaching a HiJackThis log (Sorry, can't attach). I may even like to take up SirAlec on his offer of trouble shooting through TeamViewer, if the offer is still available. However I would hate to receive comments like "its time to retire your PC" or something like that because right now my spending priorities are elsewhere.
Attached Images

Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 02:43   #57
BHPian

Your CPU temp and CPU usage looks high, this could be blockage of AIR Flow or loose Heatsink on the CPU.
try checking if the fan+Heatsink is Tightly seated on the CPU.

Must do:-

Clean the FINS of CPU FAN heatsink.
check if FAN IS MOVING Smoothly when turned by hand.
Take out RAM, and use pencil eraser to rub the contact points till they shine a little.
check all power cords,
Install winxp SP3, its already been out for more than a year now i think

For start up troubleshooting
use "msconfig" from run
under start up disable not needed third party start up items.

disable un-needed services from services.msc console, use google to find our what services are not actually needed on a home PC.
RUN Defrag on HDD and pagefile.

Lastly run a virus scan which has been recently updated.

and let us know the good news.

Last edited by ghpk : 22nd December 2009 at 02:44.
ghpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2009, 08:26   #58
Senior - BHPian

@guite:

1) First check temperatures with CoreTemp. Earlier when my CPU was 65 deg C, then the heat sink would be hot. Now when speedfan ( and other such softwares ) reports similar temperature, I touch the heatsink and its only mildly hot. Certainly the CPU is lower than 64 deg.

Coretemp gave me correct temperature readings. Try that first.

Also these softwares are in line with BIOS. Their temperature and BIOS temperature match. This is not the case with Coretemp. And its possible that BIOS is reading the temperature wrong. This has happened with me, and also there was BIOS update for the same.

I suggest you first use coretemp and then report the temperature.

2) If overheating is reported by coretemp also, check heatsink, fan and thermal paste.

3) The softwares are getting heavier day by day. This also slows down PC if you are using all the latest softwares.
Uninstall what you dont need much.
Old 24th December 2009, 14:50   #59
BHPian

Thank you ghpk and aaggoswami for your responses. After inspecting the heat sink on Tuesday evening, my PC conked off for various reasons. Now I am looking at buying a new piece.
Guite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 15:13   #60
BHPian

Recently I noted a Humming sound coming from the SMPS fan, the sound is not continuous, but usually when I start the machine I can hear a load humming .

How do I fix this fan issue ? more over SMPS is still under warranty, will they honor the warranty as the SMPS is still functional.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote