Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 24th December 2009, 15:53   #61
Senior - BHPian

The sound is made by the fan bearings. It could be a sign of impending failure, which will toast the SMPS. How old is your PC? If you think the SMPS innards have accumulated dust, you could try to clean it with a vaccum cleaner - both blowing and vaccuming. It just might help. Else you have to try getting it replaced in warranty.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th December 2009, 16:00   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
The sound is made by the fan bearings. It could be a sign of impending failure, which will toast the SMPS. How old is your PC? If you think the SMPS innards have accumulated dust, you could try to clean it with a vaccum cleaner - both blowing and vaccuming. It just might help. Else you have to try getting it replaced in warranty.
Thanks Raccoon, My PC is around 10 months old , assembled unit. Will try to replace the SMPS during warranty period itself.
tj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 16:44   #63
BANNED

Default Not Able To Boot To Win XP

Hello Gurus,
Sorry for bumping an old thread. But, I'm desperately looking out for some serious and practical help on one of my Win XP Pro issue, which is bugging me a lot and not getting resolved despite numerous attempts. I researched on web, but it's not helping.
Hence, I sincerely hope that, my team will definitely help me out for this.
Ok so the story goes like this. I have Win XP installed on my assembled PC.
Intel Core 2 Duo, 1 GB RAM, Intel motherboard, SATA HDD.
About 5 days ago, I installed Ubuntu 9 on a seperate partition as dual boot system.
It worked fine ie Win XP and Ubunu, untill one night the power went off twice and since then everything is haywire.
Now, when I try to boot Win XP, it's not booting up. Not able to enter safe /safe mode with networking either. No access to 'Earlier good configuration' also.
When I try to boot via Win XP CD, I receive options for:
1. Win XP Setup, press enter.
2. Repair press R.
3. Escape setup.
Selecting option 1 or 2 give me error like this:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
A PROBLEM HAS BEEN DETECTED AND WINDOWS HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN TO PREVENT DAMAGE
TO YOUR COMPUTER
IF THIS THE FIRST TIME YOU' VE SEEN THIS STOP ERROR SCREE,
RESTART YOUR COMPUTER. IF THIS SCREEN APPEARS AGAIN, FOLLOW
THESE STEPS:
CHECK FOR ANY ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE / BACKUP UTILITY / DRIVERS INSTALLED ON OUR COMPUTER. REMOVE ANY NEWLY INSTALLED
RUN CHKDISK /F TO CHECK FOR HARD DRIVE CORRUPTION, AND THEN RESTART YOUR COMPUTER.
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
***** Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7A047C0, 0xF7A044BC, 0XF71C94E6)
ntfs.sys - Address F71C94E6 base at F7178000, Datestamp 41107eea

Stop: 0x00000024 (0x001902FE, 0xF7A047C0, 0xF7A044BC, 0XF71C94E6)
ntfs.sys - Address F71C94E6 base at F7178000, Datestamp 41107eea
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
So, I'm not able to reinstall Win XP. Tried to reconnect RAMs as well. But of no use.
I want to retain my data and I'm not able to repair or reinstall Win Setup.
What should I do?? PLEASE HELP TEAM
dev_kudle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 17:04   #64
Senior - BHPian

My Seagate 500GB has created bad-sectors 2 times within warranty. Looks like there is some inherent issue with Seagate 500GB's.
mercedised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 18:02   #65
BANNED

Hi Again,

I'm still waiting for any help regarding this.
Please anybody out here assisit me with this.
Old 17th June 2010, 18:15   #66
Senior - BHPian

@dev: Try connecting your HDD to a pre-XP installed system and then back-up the data. After that just reformat it normally.
mercedised is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2010, 22:00   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dev_kudle View Post
Hi Again,

I'm still waiting for any help regarding this.
Please anybody out here assisit me with this.
What about your Ubuntu installation. Is it working fine.?

If both XP and Ubuntu fail to boot properly, your next best option is the Ubuntu LiveCD. Boot from the LiveCD, connect an external HDD and back up all important data from your old HDD to the external one.Now try reformatting your old HDD. If it managed to live through the power failures, you should be able to reinstall XP and Ubuntu on it and copy back all data from the external HDD after it's done. Or else, buy a new HDD.

Note that the above method, though time-consuming (you will probably need to donate 5-6 hours), is the safest and easiest way to restore your PC to it's previous state.
iTwenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 10:26   #68
BHPian

@dev_kudle, it look HDD issue remove it and check after attaching to other computer. Also check BIOS battery on MB if applicable to your PC.
omishra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th June 2010, 11:52   #69
BANNED

Hi All,
Thanks for your prompt response.
A small update on this issue.
Yesterday night I was prepared for the task of transfering my daya to external HDD and formating.
But when I sat down for this task and booted my PC, it seriously booting to XP without any hesitation and working perfectly.
I was surprised to experience this, as I was breaking my head on this issue for the last 4 days.
I did several restarts to check whether it's a temporay giltch after taking backup of my data, but it's not a temopary glitch. It seriously started working correctly. I don't know how?
What you guys suggest, should I still format my C: drive as a precautionary measure?