Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 7th December 2009, 14:40   #1
BHPian

Default External USB HDD would not mount

I have a Lacie External HDD 500GB. It has been working seamlessly for the past 3 yrs without any issues. All of a sudden it started giving loud clicking noises for a couple of days. For a couple of days I tried to copy the data to another hdd -- however it was very slow.

And during the weekend, it stopped working. it does power up, however it does not mount anymore. Any way I can mount it manually over Windows Vista or XP and then copy the data to another hard drive.

thanks
KPB.
kpbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 16:52   #2
Senior - BHPian

If you are DIY. please disassemble it asap and connect it inside a cpu.

See it works there. if yes scan completely and backup your data. and yeah! in that case your USB converter is faulty.

if it gives trouble while connecting directly to mobo you've been had
SirAlec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 17:07   #3
Senior - BHPian

It happened with my external USB. But in my case the drive gets mounted but could not access any data. I used a free command line tool to recover 100% data from that.

PhotoRec - CGSecurity

Quote:
If you are DIY. please disassemble it asap and connect it inside a cpu.
Do not disassemble anything so soon! Try with recovery software and then if its not successful, take it to a data recovery center or DIY.

BTW, In your case, it seems to be a hardware fault.

Last edited by clevermax : 7th December 2009 at 17:09.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 18:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you know stuff, i would still recommend you to disassemble it. Because the controller fails only due to improper dual supply that the adapter gives it. 5volt and 12 volt.

If this is the case prolong use may also burn the hdd controller. after which there is no way back.

PS: It happened to me once, and i lost very precious data including some priceless images that i really like to share them these days in tbhp. only after being here in tbhp i felt about those images. there were lot of DIY images that i had done previously which were priceless. One of them that i really miss is about turbocharging 800.
Old 7th December 2009, 19:19   #5
BHPian

thanks for the suggestions -- i will try doing a data recovery before disassembling the hdd -- will let you know how it goes.
Old 7th December 2009, 21:17   #6
BHPian

I had a LaCie 160gb. One fine day, it just said good bye. LaCie uses a seagate inside. I tried mounting it as an internal HDD but other than spinning , it does nothing. Data recovery was not possible, I did try a plethora of tools. If you have some important data, you might need to get professional help for data recovery.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th December 2009, 21:33   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
If you know stuff, i would still recommend you to disassemble it. Because the controller fails only due to improper dual supply that the adapter gives it. 5volt and 12 volt.
If this is the case prolong use may also burn the hdd controller. after which there is no way back.
A USB port never gives you 12v, it's probably made inside the external HDD box dc-dc conversion if at all that particular external HDD needs 12v inside to operate. If this goes faulty, most probable thing would be that it won't supply the Hdd 12v, instead nothing. The controller gets burned is not that likely.

@NutsNBolts: Your Hdd required you to connect it to laptop/PC using two USB connectors (data,power & power) or one (data,power)?
Old 7th December 2009, 22:47   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
A USB port never gives you 12v, it's probably made inside the external HDD box dc-dc conversion if at all that particular external HDD needs 12v inside to operate. If this goes faulty, most probable thing would be that it won't supply the Hdd 12v, instead nothing. The controller gets burned is not that likely.

@NutsNBolts: Your Hdd required you to connect it to laptop/PC using two USB connectors (data,power & power) or one (data,power)?
please read the fine print.Dude!

since 500gb and 1tb slim 2.5 incher is most recently available, i am assuming he has a 3.5 incher. hence an external SMPS. hence my reply.

If you have opened a smps or the usb board of external casing you will know, that actually smps makes 12 volt, that 12 volt is further converted to 5 volt for dual supply that is essential. thats where the problem occurs.

Last edited by SirAlec : 7th December 2009 at 22:48.
Old 7th December 2009, 23:14   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpbhatt View Post
Any way I can mount it manually over Windows Vista or XP and then copy the data to another hard drive.
thanks
KPB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirAlec View Post
please read the fine print.Dude!
since 500gb and 1tb slim 2.5 incher is most recently available, i am assuming he has a 3.5 incher. hence an external SMPS. hence my reply.
If you have opened a smps or the usb board of external casing you will know, that actually smps makes 12 volt, that 12 volt is further converted to 5 volt for dual supply that is essential. thats where the problem occurs.
Please, I hate to be called Dude.

Not all SMPSs makes only 12 volts.
And if kpbhatt is able to mount it manually and read the data, the controller is dead?? Going to die? Will die soon?

Last edited by clevermax : 7th December 2009 at 23:22.
Old 8th December 2009, 00:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

If he is able to mount it and read the data with occasional clik sound, i am assuming his hdd is fine and its the usb converter or smps that is faulty which may not be supplying the power properly.

my guarantee is it will be 99.9 % detectable by bios and subsequently by windows.

and yeah in SMPS the higher stage voltage is made first and subsequent smaller voltages by converting it. it can't make 5volt first and convert that to 12v.

in a dual system smps like this example it always like that, even if you don't believe me.

PS: Sorry if the Dude! words offends you.

Last edited by SirAlec : 8th December 2009 at 00:19.
Old 8th December 2009, 08:38   #11
BHPian

SirAlec and Clevermax -- thanks for the suggestions and directions given -- i am unable to mount it manually and yes its a 3.5 inch version which has separate ports for power and usb connectivity. it refuses to get mounted on my home laptop ( vista) or my work laptop (xp) -- might need to take it to a data care center to get the data retrieved.
Old 8th December 2009, 12:27   #12
Senior - BHPian

IF you have opened a PC before, disassemble it and connect it directly, the data rec company will charge you a bomb.

Old 8th December 2009, 21:02   #13
BHPian

kpbhatt, as a last effort, you can download this Ultimate Boot CD - Download the UBCD and burn it on a CD. UBCD has some HDD recovery tools from Seagate, Hitachi and Samsung. Run those and see if you can recover the data. Apart from these, if possible, run Partition Magic for diagnosis of the HDD.

@clevermax, mine was with an external supply. It conked off few months back. I did everything possible, from changing the cables inside to checking the voltage on the HDD pcb. The disk was rotating (could be heard whirring) but probably the head was not seeking correctly or was damaged.
NutsNBolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 05:14   #14
BHPian

Can you feel the HDD is rotating while it is powered on, You mentioned that some clicking noise was coming from the disk, some time this could be a mechanical problem, so please check whether the disk is spinning. Keep you hand on the disk enclosure, and power on the disk you can feel a small vibration if the disk is spinning followed by a small "tik" sound. If it is coming then you may be able to recover the data, either by directly connecting or using some tool
rajtheindian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2009, 07:00   #15
BHPian

Possible 4 issues with the HDD:-

#1 - Seek arm is stuck and its trying to kick it back in place but not working
#2 - Electronics are stuffed, usually not enough cooling and not mounting hdd upside down means due to heat solder gives away (specially solder containing lead) and some of the electronics break contact point.
#3 - USB controller is dead
#4 - HDD seak head is bent/fried/broken/stuffed

In case 1 & 2, just take the HDD out of the usb caddy and freeze it overnight, it might just give you enough time to recover data if its case 2, in case 1 the seek rm shrinks and will come back into right place.

In case of #3, you can try running HDD directly installed in the computer. If it still gives clunking noise then its Case #1, #2 or #4.

In case of #4, you can try all you want. Only way to recover the data will be to source exactly same HDD with exact same firmware and then replace the platter from this one to the new one and taking out the data.

Thanks
it_inspector is offline   Reply With Quote