Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 16th February 2010, 10:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Default SDHC card question

Did anyone try a Class 10 SDHC card on 500D ? Will class 10 be a waste seeing the burst rate required for Video.

Sandisk Extreme III outperforms Class 10 specification but do not know if this kind of read/write speed is useful or not.

I am thinking of acquiring 16GB a Transcend Class 6 or A patriot Class 6 seeing cost benefit advantage.

There are Silicon Power Class 10 and Patriot Class 10 for about 45US $ but wanted to know the compatibility before I buy
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:24   #62
Team-BHP Support

amit, I answered your question on DSLR thread. Stick to Class 6. Thats what the camera requires!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th February 2010, 11:26   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
amit, I answered your question on DSLR thread. Stick to Class 6. Thats what the camera requires!
Thanks TSK for the reply , Ordering a 16 GB class 6 now
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd June 2010, 16:46   #64
Senior - BHPian

Default WC Telecast - new video techniques

I noticed this while watching the Spain-Swiss match.

It was the start of the game and all players lined up in the field and one camera was covering all their faces by panning from left to right slowly, while they all stood still.

It was a well zoomed take and the faces of players covered most of the frame, one by one. Since there was nothing immediately behind the players, the crowd on the other side of the stadium was visible in the background.

Normally in such super-zoom shots and videos, the background will be blurred - we can't get enough DOF at such zooms to capture the crowd at a distance in also in focus. What's different in this take was that the faces of the players in the foreground as well as the crowd behind at a distance was perfectly in focus! I am seeing such a video take for the first time.

I wonder how is it done. Can a zoom lens achieve that much DOF while zoomed into say 350-400mm even with narrowest aperture? The DOF here was too big, assuming the players stood almost at the middle of the football ground, the DOF was at least 45-50 meters approximately.

May be that shot was a real-time blending of videos from two cameras operating on same mount, one focused on players faces and one on the crowd behind.

I remember Rudra mentioning about a software called Photo-Acute to create perfectly in focus shots of subjects like cars by combining individual shots focused at different points - is there something similar for videos too which can give such an output?

Last edited by clevermax : 22nd June 2010 at 16:48.
clevermax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:04   #65
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvancy View Post
....The D7000 does AF continuous in video.its good....
I got my second body, a D7000, tried video with the 50mm prime, not yet able to figure out how this AF functions. I am envying Clever (Sunil) on the SLT system that produces amazing continuous focus on video. Still in a shock of the sample video he posted. I had sold my Panasonic video cam few months back and want to try some creative video on the D7000. Let me see if I can get an average video that could be posted for opinions.
shajufx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:09   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajufx View Post
I got my second body, a D7000, tried video with the 50mm prime, not yet able to figure out how this AF functions. I am envying Clever (Sunil) on the SLT system that produces amazing continuous focus on video. Still in a shock of the sample video he posted. I had sold my Panasonic video cam few months back and want to try some creative video on the D7000. Let me see if I can get an average video that could be posted for opinions.
The SLT works on a different tech than the D7K. It has always been said that in the video section Canon is miles ahead of Nikon.thats why we find canon video with Nikon Optics.

Do some DIY follow focus build, and you I think will be good to go.

Anvancy
anvancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 15:33   #67
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
D7000 video AF is slow(contrast detect focus). you won't get the same fast results as you get in Panasonic GF kind of cameras.
Quote:
The SLT works on a different tech than the D7K. It has always been said that in the video section Canon is miles ahead of Nikon.thats why we find canon video with Nikon Optics.

Do some DIY follow focus build, and you I think will be good to go.

Anvancy
Two different things here.
As far as video AF is concerned, I do not think 550D does it. There is no continuous AF during video.
Other than that, canon offers more formats and frame rates(24p eg) in many of its cams we compared to Nikon. Before D7000, video in Nikon was very very basic with limited settings.
Even in D7000, I don;t think you can change aperture while in video mode(live view mode). Some other caveats are also there.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:39   #68
BHPian

Quote:
D7000 video AF is slow(contrast detect focus). you won't get the same fast results as you get in Panasonic GF kind of cameras.

Two different things here.
As far as video AF is concerned, I do not think 550D does it. There is no continuous AF during video.
Other than that, canon offers more formats and frame rates(24p eg) in many of its cams we compared to Nikon. Before D7000, video in Nikon was very very basic with limited settings.
Even in D7000, I don;t think you can change aperture while in video mode(live view mode). Some other caveats are also there.
Yes.I know it.the 550D has zero autofocus.thats why we find huge amount of Follow focus rigs available on the market. I have a 550D.

more than the format its the way the video is encoded (processor) and played back on the canon which makes it the preferred company for DSLR videos in Films and others.

The Biggest crib right now everywhere is the 12min/4GB limit for video. Prolong sessions are not possible i.e. a continuous shoot. Though that is also on the verge of getting solved with the Magic Lantern for the 550D.

Nikon for stills.Canon for Video. NEX and SLT are now coming up for hobbyist videos. Sony will catch up fast.

Anvancy
Old 14th December 2011, 15:42   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
....Even in D7000, I don;t think you can change aperture while in video mode(live view mode). Some other caveats are also there.
Leaving it to the AF mode for video produces lens whirring noise as it will keep hunting throughout. If one is adding background music, its ok, otherwise its a spoil sport. Manual is the way to go according to me, again, getting used to takes time.

This is a video taken with D7000 by Chase Jarvis. Amazing work.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:46   #70
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Leaving it to the AF mode for video produces lens whirring noise as it will keep hunting throughout. If one is adding background music, its ok, otherwise its a spoil sport. Manual is the way to go according to me, again, getting used to takes time.

Lens noise is there for everybody. Its just a lot more for Canon and Nikon because their Contrast detect AF hunts quite a bit.
Panasonic operation is much quieter, but if you listen closely, esp in scenes where there is extreme focus switching between near and far, you will get the lens motor noise.
Old 14th December 2011, 15:54   #71
BHPian

Thats why separate audio recorders are used to record sound. they are synced up in Post.

the other crucial effect done in post is curing up the Jello effect due to the CMOS while taking a video.

Anvancy
Old 14th December 2011, 20:37   #72
BHPian

Quote:
I think you meant the GH series? I recently acquired a GF1, yet to hack it to enable 1080p and full manual control.

Quote:
more than the format its the way the video is encoded (processor) and played back on the canon which makes it the preferred company for DSLR videos in Films and others.

The Biggest crib right now everywhere is the 12min/4GB limit for video. Prolong sessions are not possible i.e. a continuous shoot. Though that is also on the verge of getting solved with the Magic Lantern for the 550D.

Nikon for stills.Canon for Video. NEX and SLT are now coming up for hobbyist videos. Sony will catch up fast.

Anvancy
Didn't get the first part. When you say the way it's encoded, are you talking about the megabits/sec?

Also, if you're interested in video, you might want to check this out as to why the GH2 is way better than 60D for video.
Canon 60D versus Panasonic GH2 – Full Review – Part 2 | EOSHD.com

(Note, it's a Canon review site doing a test of GH2)

Sony's Nex-7 is not out yet, curious to see how it fares when it comes to video.

Quote:

As others have mentioned, that cannot be avoided until you use an external mic to record video. A lot of people do that with GH2, not sure if D7000 has a port to connect an external mic.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 20:59   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
....A lot of people do that with GH2, not sure if D7000 has a port to connect an external mic.
Yes there is a port for external mic (the 3.5mm stereo mini jack type). I already tried my PC mic on it but the lens focus noise is present, may be less than the built-in mic, but its there.

Another fact I realized after getting D7000, the RAW files from this camera is version 6.4 something, which will not open on CS4 or CS5, I tried both, its a failure. Googled a bit and found 100s of users crying over it. Nikon's View NX2 which comes with the pack can do basic corrections and convert the file to JPEG. So if anyone plans to shoot in RAW, search for the solutions before buying it.
Old 14th December 2011, 21:07   #74
Team-BHP Support

Beercan lens means that Minolta's 70-210, f4 lens? It was pretty good if I remember correct? Or am I missing something!!

God!! I'm really old now. More I read this thread, more I feel.
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 21:14   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Yes there is a port for external mic (the 3.5mm stereo mini jack type). I already tried my PC mic on it but the lens focus noise is present, may be less than the built-in mic, but its there.

Another fact I realized after getting D7000, the RAW files from this camera is version 6.4 something, which will not open on CS4 or CS5, I tried both, its a failure. Googled a bit and found 100s of users crying over it. Nikon's View NX2 which comes with the pack can do basic corrections and convert the file to JPEG. So if anyone plans to shoot in RAW, search for the solutions before buying it.
Oh, you need to get a dead cat then . Google on what it means. Hmm, try Lightroom 3? And then open the images from there in Photoshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Beercan lens means that Minolta's 70-210, f4 lens? It was pretty good if I remember correct? Or am I missing something!!

God!! I'm really old now. More I read this thread, more I feel.
Rudra sir, you posted on the wrong thread . But yes, that's the old Minolta 70-210 f4 that I am looking at. I like the Nikon 75-240mm, but the copy I have has some problems with it at 240mm. I suspect that the elements are mis-aligned.
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote