Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 14th December 2011, 21:18   #76
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: The DSLR Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellwratH View Post
Rudra sir, you posted on the wrong thread
And now I'm feeling really old. What did I do wrong?
Rudra Sen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th December 2011, 21:31   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
And now I'm feeling really old. What did I do wrong?
Umm, the beercan discussion was on The non-auto image thread. You're not-too-old, but wise . And, we come to You for advice, so it's okay .
HellwratH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 00:38   #78
BHPian

Default Re: DSLR Video Discussion

What I meant was encoding.not the mb/sec. If you have a properly encoded file you can view it and make edits better. thats the job of the processor on the camera and thats why many pros still prefer the Canon for video after RED EPIC or so. Like I said before, many use a Canon 5DMKII with nikon Optics.

Yes the GH2 is also an upcoming camera for videos but given the lens range, people stick to canon.

Regarding connecting external mics to the mic jack, I read on a few forums that the signal noise ratio has some problem which results in a buzz during recording.May be may not be. Its best to separately place the recorder and sync it in post.

Anvancy
anvancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2011, 01:17   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvancy View Post
What I meant was encoding.not the mb/sec. If you have a properly encoded file you can view it and make edits better. thats the job of the processor on the camera and thats why many pros still prefer the Canon for video after RED EPIC or so. Like I said before, many use a Canon 5DMKII with nikon Optics.

Yes the GH2 is also an upcoming camera for videos but given the lens range, people stick to canon.

Regarding connecting external mics to the mic jack, I read on a few forums that the signal noise ratio has some problem which results in a buzz during recording.May be may not be. Its best to separately place the recorder and sync it in post.

Anvancy
Please bear with me on this one as I am just starting to learn about videography. As far as I know, the encoding/formats provided are AVCHD and MJPG. Now, does canon offer something different or is it the above two? The way the data is captured might be different, but the format remains this, right? Also, the lens choice is virtually limitless for GH2 as you can mount just about any legacy lens.

Last edited by HellwratH : 15th December 2011 at 01:20. Reason: Didn't want anvancy to bare ;)
Old 15th December 2011, 01:23   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Please bare with me on this one as I am just starting to learn about videography. As far as I know, the encoding/formats provided are AVCHD and MJPG. Now, does canon offer something different or is it the above two? The way the data is captured might be different, but the format remains this, right? Also, the lens choice is virtually limitless for GH2 as you can mount just about any legacy lens.
What canon and Nikon encode is H.264 quicktime file and not AVCHD. MJPG is mainly found in Pentax. AVCHD is used by Sony and Panasonic. it was jointly developed by them.

Anvancy
Old 15th December 2011, 14:20   #81
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

The Panasonics mirrorless cams have videos designed in the functionality itself, not an afterthought. Thats why its so seamless. When you add video just because competition has it, the solution will always appear as a Kludge.
That is why, I use FZ-35 for videos inspite of having a Nikon D7000.

Panasonic got Video a long time ago, and most of their cams right from P&S to top of the line EVIL, all have very good video features.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2011, 21:36   #82
BHPian

Quote:
What canon and Nikon encode is H.264 quicktime file and not AVCHD. MJPG is mainly found in Pentax. AVCHD is used by Sony and Panasonic. it was jointly developed by them.

Anvancy
AFAIK, AVCHD is just a different encoding variation of the H.264. Not sure, if Canon/Nikon's encoding is better, haven't been able to find any conclusive evidence yet on that part.
Old 16th December 2011, 23:43   #83
BHPian

Quote:
AFAIK, AVCHD is just a different encoding variation of the H.264. Not sure, if Canon/Nikon's encoding is better, haven't been able to find any conclusive evidence yet on that part.
Yes.its on the same lines.patented by Sony and Panasonic. Canon and Nikon run on quicktime.

In the end video from any looks nice.

Anvancy
Old 2nd January 2012, 16:00   #84
BHPian

A Sample of the Zoom H1. It does some nice audio recording.

The clip is on soundcloud.

Guess Which Car is THIS? by Anvay Nakade on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Anvancy
Old 26th January 2012, 01:26   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
@Shaju
I sold it for $4400. Yes, keeping it any longer, especially since I am working on a lot of cinematography work now, didnt make sense as the price is only gonna fall further. Should be in by mid February.
Should wait before nikon releases v1.01 firmware. Too much pixel gap right now and video is frankly comparable to 5dmk2, and nothing ground breaking except uncompressed hdmi.

Still side completely diff story.
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 04:39   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajb3125 View Post
Should wait before nikon releases v1.01 firmware. Too much pixel gap right now and video is frankly comparable to 5dmk2, and nothing ground breaking except uncompressed hdmi.

Still side completely diff story.
Nothing ground breaking except uncompressed HDMI? The only reason that is not ground breaking, is probably because it's ground shattering

This feature alone makes the footage so much better for keying and pulling mattes for rotoscoping. The 5D M2 rolling shutter and low light blue channel noise is incomparable to the video output you get on the D4. Also, the color data for making background plates while inserting set extensions and matte paintings for Vfx will greatly benefit from these clean channels. 5DM2 gets horrible at areas of shallow depth of field due to compression, and u get artifacts, not something you can get clean without spending on a higher prized camera body and when I say higher, I mean in the 10k range. But yes, for what it did the %D M2 was surely great, consider the price performance ratio purely for video.

Also, greater pixel gap reduces channel noise and its been the hallmark of Nikon flagship bodies. It's something that I would love to keep, being a Vfx cinematographer.

Add to this complete wireless control over the body using an ipad or any tablet, gives a creative freedom thats quite useful to the thinking cinematographer. Enough reasons to get the body asap and then think of the firmware V1.01. Plus, like you rightly said, its a whole another department of still photography waiting to be tapped.... i take a few photographs for professional applications as well, so it will be worth it irrespective of the firmware update!

Cheers,
TG.

Last edited by Torqueguru : 28th January 2012 at 04:45.
Torqueguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 11:50   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torqueguru View Post
Nothing ground breaking except uncompressed HDMI? The only reason that is not ground breaking, is probably because it's ground shattering

This feature alone makes the footage so much better for keying and pulling mattes for rotoscoping. The 5D M2 rolling shutter and low light blue channel noise is incomparable to the video output you get on the D4. Also, the color data for making background plates while inserting set extensions and matte paintings for Vfx will greatly benefit from these clean channels. 5DM2 gets horrible at areas of shallow depth of field due to compression, and u get artifacts, not something you can get clean without spending on a higher prized camera body and when I say higher, I mean in the 10k range. But yes, for what it did the %D M2 was surely great, consider the price performance ratio purely for video.

Also, greater pixel gap reduces channel noise and its been the hallmark of Nikon flagship bodies. It's something that I would love to keep, being a Vfx cinematographer.

Add to this complete wireless control over the body using an ipad or any tablet, gives a creative freedom thats quite useful to the thinking cinematographer. Enough reasons to get the body asap and then think of the firmware V1.01. Plus, like you rightly said, its a whole another department of still photography waiting to be tapped.... i take a few photographs for professional applications as well, so it will be worth it irrespective of the firmware update!

Cheers,
TG.
I agree with the benefits of clean HDMI but that is not the issue, that is certainly a ground shattering feature but what i meant was pixel gap, not as in distance between pixels but rather the 3 pixel/line gap between active pixels for videos.

http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uplo...ideo-still.jpg
http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uplo...-d4-guitar.jpg

In short this is what this does. All the texture has been lost on Guitar strap and this is evident in almost all of UN-PROCESSED samples.

I think I am gonna hang onto XDCAM till there is a firmware update with down-scaling filter.

Yes stills are a completely different scenario. There is 18 of us so far going to HK only for this reason
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 17:24   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
What's different in this take was that the faces of the players in the foreground as well as the crowd behind at a distance was perfectly in focus!
This is thanks to lens technology developed by an Australian inventor named Jim Frazier :

(There are better videos out there, but they are really hard to find)

EDIT: Here's a better video!

Quote:
... in the video section Canon is miles ahead of Nikon.
Worth noting that Canon has years of experience in the video field (they have an extensive line of video equipment), whereas Nikon does not!

Quote:
Regarding connecting external mics to the mic jack, I read on a few forums that the signal noise ratio has some problem which results in a buzz during recording.May be may not be.
Haven't seen / heard anything like this. But i have noticed that 90% of users filming on DSLRs with an external hotshoe mounted mic use the RODE VideoMic. (~$299!)

Quote:
Guess Which Car is THIS?
Maruti Swift ?

How are you liking the H1?
Suppose i put it right behind a LOUD car's exhaust, would i damage the mics?
Do you use a wind filter?

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th January 2012 at 19:36.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 19:28   #89
Team-BHP Support

Magic Lantern Firmware for Canon DSLR Video

My favourite features (though i've not used it yet!) :

1) Focus Peaking

Anyone shooting video on a Canon DSLR knows that manual focus is the only way to go. However, in situations where the camera is being moved around a lot, getting perfect focus on the small LCD is hard. Focus peaking helps by highlighting edges that are in-focus in a bright red colour on the LCD :

2) On screen audio levels

These are shown on the LCD while recording. Easy to see if the audio is clipping (and then turn down the manual gain control in the menu.

Name:  62409mgl5d.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  38.0 KB
Image source

3) HDR Video

HDR Video ?!? What the hell? Well, its quite simple really. It shoots one frame overexposed, and then the next one underexposed - by changing the ISO for alternating frames. In post, you can split the clip into 2 (50% speed drops alternate frames), layer the two clips, and then blend between them to get a nice HDR of highlights and shadows. Probably doesn't work too great for fast moving scenes.

4) FPS control (go low, like 5 fps)

Unfortunately, ramping up the fps doesn't work so great. Probably get only 35fps in 1080p. However, you could go as low as 5 fps on some cameras. The advantage? A much longer shutter speed, resulting in much better low-light video, almost like a time-lapse in some cases.

Lots of other cool features too :
http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/M..._Firmware_Wiki

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 28th January 2012 at 19:31.
Rehaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th January 2012, 21:52   #90
BHPian

The Rode is a mic where as the Zoom is actually a recorder. each has its own benefits.

I like my Zoom H1.for the price it does a superb job.Though to note, you have to sit in post and refine the sound as in,compression Db setting and such.

I dont think the mics will be damaged.I recorded the car sounds keeping the recorder near.and yes I used the Rode DeadKitten.

Anvancy