Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 5th February 2010, 23:33   #1
Team-BHP Support

Default Weird problem with wireless connection on my laptop (and some other issues)

I have a Dell laptop(Inspiron E1505).
Sometimes, the wireless connection gets disabled. Mostly it happens when laptop has been on for a few hours but sometimes it happens few minutes after laptop has been switched on.
If I go to Network connections, and right click and select enable, it tries to enable, but is unable to do so.
So if you want to surf the net, all you can do is just reboot the machine.
Other option is to attach network cable to ethernet port, but then DHCP cannot get an IP address assigned to the laptop.
In normal conditions when you switch on laptop and attach ethernet cable, it gets IP address, but when this wireless disablement has happened, even ethernet also cannot work(80% of the times).
Only solution is to reboot.

Now you may be wondering, why I keep laptop on and plugged in, well its because, when I put lid down to put it in sleep mode, half the times it does not come out of sleep mode, and I have to shut down and reboot.

About 1 in 5 times, when I switch on the laptop(after a proper shutdown and power off), it beeps twice and says no media found(cannot find HDD).
After that I just have to shut it down, and restart and it will start.

I am worried that is the main board gone or something? I can show it to dell, but its out of warranty, and cost of main board can hit as high as a small netbook.

Any ideas how to narrow down the problem?
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th February 2010, 23:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Give a try by updating your drivers
Drivers & Downloads
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 00:07   #3
BHPian

As Wildon said...Drivers update should do the trick for you.... Another reason for your suffering could be the fact that you are on MS Vista (are you ?). Vista complicates a lot driver related issues..infact I have a HP dv6000 series Laptop with Vista home premium and man I had a tough time getting a 800 USD laptop to go wireless.
better4worse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 00:08   #4
Team-BHP Support

While the problem sounds wierd I think the problem can indeed be with a module of the laptop's hardware. If not the main board it can also be due to a freaky WiFi module. It is a small pillow like thingie on the top right of your laptop, just below the top plate.

If you have someone with an external WiFi module (those plug-in type things) just borrow it for a day or two and see if the system still gives problems with this external piece. If not then the solution is simple and cheap (external WiFi modules are not so costly). However if you suspect that the entire motherboard needs a replacement there are 3 ways of dealing with it.

1. Junk your laptop and go for a new one.

2. Call up Dell and tell them that you wanted a quote for an extended warranty. If they ask tell them that you recently were told by a friend that dell attends to any problems only if you have a warranty and hence you do not want to take a chance. I think they will quote you two rates. The cheaper one will be around 6k. You can buy this warranty. After a month call them back and notify your problem to them. They will do the needful. Remember, Dell does not have external service centers and their engineers visit you only if you have a current warranty.

3. You can decide to play the engineer yourself. Ask Dell the quotation for a motherboard for your model. If they agree to sell (they will try to discourage you a lot) then they will quote you a price. When you say that you agree to the quote they will generate an invoice and ask you to send a DD or a local cheque of the required value to Vidhur and Co. in Nehru Place. They are the official importers of Dell parts and Dell redirects all your parts purchase orders to them.

Although I suspect if it is the motherboard that needs a replacement you will be better off buying the warranty first and then seeking the repair/replacement. Motherboard costs will most probably be higher than their warranty quote.

Last edited by Zappo : 6th February 2010 at 00:10.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 00:17   #5
BHPian

You didnt mention which OS you're using. Anyways. Log onto Welcome to Dell Support and click on tech support. Then enter your service tag. I think that would help you find some solutions relevant to your system.

I dont think your mobo's gone or something. Probably your facing this problem because you use your lappy too much off the battery. Try and plug it into the power line and then see if the problem persists or not. Else you might wanna download and install some critical BIOS update or critich driver upate for your WLAN card from the Dell website. You might check on the BIOS if your system is set to run on power saver mode in battery or not. If yes you might wanna change that to resolve the problem. Worst case scenario you might wanna do a OS reinstall. Anyways I'm not an expert so dont blindly follow what I was saying. These are just possibilities.

Anyway, check out the following linkies might be of use:

Dell - Wireless Center

Dell - Support

Dell - Technical Support

Dell - Support

Dell - Support
sabret00the is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 00:22   #6
Team-BHP Support

Going by his laptop model E1505 (here it sold as 6400, IIANM) unless he has Linux installed on it then he most probably has a Win XP system.
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 00:37   #7
BHPian

I have the same issue with the wifi in my Office laptop (Dell Latitude D630). Have not got time to get it checked by the office hardware guys. Will check with them next week and let you know what they say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabret00the View Post
I dont think your mobo's gone or something. Probably your facing this problem because you use your lappy too much off the battery. Try and plug it into the power line and then see if the problem persists or not.
The problem persists irrespective of whether the laptop is running on mains or batteries, at least for me.

Last edited by Jaguar : 6th February 2010 at 00:41.
Jaguar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 01:23   #8
Team-BHP Support

Do you have/made a recovery CD? If so use it to restore to company spec. I use it every 1 year or so on my Vaio. 4 years and still going strong. Updating drivers is one thing you can try before this, but for such wierd symptoms, hit rate is low.

Similar issue cropped up once upon a time and right now system wont standyby/hibernate. So next long jobless weekend, its time for a back up and recovery

Stupid windows!
Jaggu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 10:55   #9
Team-BHP Support

I have the latest drivers, of Intel Pro-set which I downloaded from Dell website.
Recently I had reinstalled XP as the laptop was hanging frequently. The problem started coming around a month after reinstall, so it does not seem to be driver related.
Anyways, I will uninstall all drivers and then reinstall.
As for recovery CD, I have the Windows XP CD which came from Dell, but somehow, the laptop is unable to read this particular CD.

Anways, if things do not work, I will try external wifi module!
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 11:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

have you installed all patches and service packs?

but if it keeps saying HDD not found, I suggest you check all connections and may be get it serviced. also check if there is a bios update for your laptop.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th February 2010, 16:20   #11
BHPian

For wireless disconnection problem :
In the properties, "Configure" it from "Advanced" tab the "Property:" Power Management "Value:", adjust the slider to "Hightest".

from D830 with Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG troubles - DELL COMMUNITY
alto99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 08:26   #12
Senior - BHPian

recently I accepted a wireless lan driver update from microsoft and it totally destroyed my bluetooth. rolled it back and it worked ok.

I suggest you go to device manager and check if any driver has been updated in last fw days. roll it back, restart and it may fix your problems.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2010, 10:54   #13
BHPian

As you are on XP, you may want to look at this The computer occasionally does not hibernate and you receive an "Insufficient System Resources Exist to Complete the API" error message in Windows XP with Service Pack 2, in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005, or in Windows XP Media Center Edi

Better explanation of this on http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000555.html

-Pramod

Last edited by pramods : 8th February 2010 at 10:55.
pramods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 16:57   #14
Senior - BHPian

Default re: Weird problem with wireless connection on my laptop (and some other issues)

Reviving an old thread. Need some help

I bought a DELL E6400 in as-is condition from my company's auction. I am facing a weird WIFI issue with the laptop. The laptop doesn't recognize my wifi network at all. It, however, recognizes other network in the vicinity. My tablet has no issues recognizing the home network. I took the laptop to my cousin's place and the wifi worked flawlessly. I am clueless

DELL E6400 with genuine Windows 7 product. I checked the device manager and all the drivers are up to date.

Thanks in advance!
sachinj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd January 2015, 17:24   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
Reviving an old thread. Need some help

I bought a DELL E6400 in as-is condition from my company's auction. I am facing a weird WIFI issue with the laptop. The laptop doesn't recognize my wifi network at all. It, however, recognizes other network in the vicinity. My tablet has no issues recognizing the home network. I took the laptop to my cousin's place and the wifi worked flawlessly. I am clueless

DELL E6400 with genuine Windows 7 product. I checked the device manager and all the drivers are up to date.

Thanks in advance!
Does the laptop support the same wireless standard protocol (g or n) as configured on your router?
If the laptop does not support n then you may want to change your router config.
milestogo is offline   Reply With Quote