Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 15th September 2005, 13:50   #16
Senior - BHPian

There was an ingenius theft protection software developed for Microsoft Pocket PC or Smartphone based devices called IIWPO theft protection.

Essentially you put in an alternate number when you set up the software, preferably your 2nd phone or that of your wife/girlfriend/partner/ etc. If your phone is stolen and someone replaces the SIM on it, the device sends out a 'silent SMS' (not seen on the device in any form) to the alternate number with the phone number on the new SIM. Since these are Pocket PCs, the software also sends out the name of the owner and his contact details by another silent SMS if the new 'owner' sets up the Pocket PC for his/her use.

I am sure similar software is available for Symbian or UIQ based smartphones too. Search and thou shalt find...
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote