Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 6th April 2010, 15:47   #1
kkg
BHPian
 
kkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: India,New Delhi
Posts: 287
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Any technology or device which can transmit smell?

Few months back i was watching Dirty Jobs on Discovery. The host Mark was in cow slaughter house that day and was showing various processes and procedures. He was consisitently mentioning the stench there was inbearable. The visuals were quite graphic and they did blur out some of those. So we were able to see what was happening there but what about the smell?

That made me wonder is there any technology or medium by which smell can be transmitted over a distance? Like we have phones, now camera phones that can trnamit audio and sound but they do not transmit smell or stench on the other side.

I know in the above case of mine it was good that there isn't such technology but there can be many other beneficial aspects of this also. I urge fellow BHPians to give their inputs on this.


MODS: i am not sure that i have put this curosity of mine in the right section but i could not find any better place. Feel free to move it.
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 16:02   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
srishiva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 3,465
Thanked: 692 Times
Default

There isn't one. Unless you can box it and send it in mail !
srishiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 16:24   #3
Senior - BHPian
 
Shan2nu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hubli - Karnata
Posts: 5,525
Thanked: 81 Times
Default

Quote:
That made me wonder is there any technology or medium by which smell can be transmitted over a distance? Like we have phones, now camera phones that can trnamit audio and sound but they do not transmit smell or stench on the other side.
Well, you cannot transfer the smell directly but its possible to have a camera which has a sensor that converts smell into codes which is then recieved by your tv that has a unit that will read these codes and recreate that smell, by mixing various chemicals.

It might also be possibe for movies to have these codes in the disc which the player can decode and create specific odours for various scenes.

It can be done coz i rem my chemistry teacher in school mixed some chemicals to create the smell of rotten eggs. LOL

PS : Dirty Jobs is the last programme i'd wanna watch with smell-tech.

Shan2nu

Last edited by Shan2nu : 6th April 2010 at 16:27.
Shan2nu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 16:28   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
Spitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Panaji - Goa/Bangalore - Karnataka
Posts: 3,240
Thanked: 600 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
It can be done coz i rem my chemistry teacher in school once mixing some chemicals to create the smell of rotten eggs.
That must have been H2S.
Spitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 16:43   #5
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

The question is good, but the situation when this thought occurred to you is little strange - you wanted to get the smell of a slaughter house?
I wish that this thought had occurred to you when they were showing some nice flowers or perfumes in the TVSN or something

Last edited by clevermax : 6th April 2010 at 16:46.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 16:48   #6
BHPian
 
bj96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 771
Thanked: 121 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkg View Post
any technology or medium by which smell can be transmitted over a distance?
Assuming most smell (in air) is presence of some chemical in gaseous state, I think, a simple pipe with some force draft/pressure can carry this? E.g. CNG can be transported in pipelines and along goes the smell too

However, there are devices to detect the smell (chemicals) in air e.g. smoke detector, LPG leakage detector etc.

-BJ

PS: what I present above, does not transmit the smell per se but it can transmit the medium (air/gas) which carries smell. Thoughts welcome.

Last edited by bj96 : 6th April 2010 at 16:55. Reason: PS note
bj96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 17:12   #7
kkg
BHPian
 
kkg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: India,New Delhi
Posts: 287
Thanked: 60 Times
Default

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan2nu View Post
Well, you cannot transfer the smell directly but its possible to have a camera which has a sensor that converts smell into codes which is then recieved by your tv that has a unit that will read these codes and recreate that smell, by mixing various chemicals.

PS : Dirty Jobs is the last programme i'd wanna watch with smell-tech.
Shan2nu
Good to know that something like this exists. But the question is that can it be simplifed to incoporate into daily usage as with the case of phones, TVs, cameras tec.

[
Quote:
quote=clevermax;1823537]The question is good, but the situation when this thought occurred to you is little strange - you wanted to get the smell of a slaughter house?
i agree. But i guess my mind works best in adversities.
kkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 17:42   #8
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,365
Thanked: 518 Times
Default

One problem with recreating smell based on transitted signals unlike sound and visual is, you can't have fine control over it once it is emitted. You can switch it on, but you continue to get the smell even after the signal is switched off. So, you may have a situation where you are looking at a rose on the screen but the smell of the rose is contaminated by the dead rate you saw in the previous scene (sorry for bad example)
Guna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 19:45   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 5
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

There was a company claiming a product called "DigiScents" back in 1999.

I remember there being a huge hype regarding stimulating smells back in 2003 regarding Artificial Nose. Idea being to reverse the process, so basically every person will be STIMULATED using electric signals. There has been some recent work, last time i read a publication on Artificial Nose was in 2008 and sensors were being produced in mass numbers but not sure what progress has happened in almost 2yrs.

Not sure when it will be cheap enough to be used in mass media.
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:09   #10
BHPian
 
DueLLeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Vashi / Navi Mumbai
Posts: 190
Thanked: 61 Times
Default

I used to wonder about this when I was a kid! And, eventually I made up an explanation. Out of our five senses - sight, hearing, speech, touch and smell, only the first three involve energy.

Law of Conservation of Energy states that "Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. It can only be converted from one form to another. Total amount of energy in the universe always remains constant." Also, mass and energy are interconvertible.

Smell is not a form of energy and hence it cannot be converted from one form to another or be transmitted. It can be transported though, like all other states of matter - gas, liquid, and solid.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
DueLLeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:31   #11
CPH
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 577
Thanked: 33 Times
Default

I am glad that this is not possible at least in my time. Being a person with a vivid immagination I am thinking of the possible wider effects:

Newspaper head lines:

30 million Britons died in terrorist smell attack while watching theri favourite soap opera.

Prime minister murdered over the phone by a radical cell.

Bank robbers first phoned the bank to knock out staff before entering bank to serve themselves.

The only positive thing would be that the industries would have to design a smell firewall.

And sometimes I prefer not to know what the drunk caller just had before the call.

I prefer life without smell transponders.
CPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:32   #12
Senior - BHPian
 
Gilead's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 2,140
Thanked: 20 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
One problem with recreating smell based on transitted signals unlike sound and visual is, you can't have fine control over it once it is emitted. You can switch it on, but you continue to get the smell even after the signal is switched off. So, you may have a situation where you are looking at a rose on the screen but the smell of the rose is contaminated by the dead rate you saw in the previous scene (sorry for bad example)
You first need to send a smell to 'neutralize' the dead rat smell. Sort of like sending an out of phase signal. And then send the rosy smell.
Gilead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 20:39   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
vivekiny2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: cincinnati, jabalpur,chennai
Posts: 1,241
Thanked: 163 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
I used to wonder about this when I was a kid! And, eventually I made up an explanation. Out of our five senses - sight, hearing, speech, touch and smell, only the first three involve energy.
only first two, speech is not a sense, taste is.

If there was a way to program our brain to accept electrical stimuli to recognize a smell, it would be possible. But imagine what happens in case of a faulty transmission

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 6th April 2010 at 20:40.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th April 2010, 23:10   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
only first two, speech is not a sense, taste is.

If there was a way to program our brain to accept electrical stimuli to recognize a smell, it would be possible. But imagine what happens in case of a faulty transmission
Then it will be a called a farty transmission
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2010, 08:49   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sydney
Posts: 5
Thanked: 5 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DueLLeR View Post
Smell is not a form of energy and hence it cannot be converted from one form to another or be transmitted. It can be transported though, like all other states of matter - gas, liquid, and solid.

Cheers!
DueLLeR
Well the smell we get comes from small particles floating in the air, albit very small these still have some mass. You said yourself mass and energy are interchangeable. So one can say Smell is a form of
rajb3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kubotan: The $5 safety device that can break a car window & help you escape a fire Tassem Modifications & Accessories 52 18th March 2017 13:48
Laptop Stolen! Any Software/Device to track stolen laptops? majorpayne Gadgets, Computers & Software 19 9th September 2014 14:50
A Device that can control all my gadgets / Universal Remote Control a4_attitude Gadgets, Computers & Software 28 24th August 2011 11:10
AC on Internal Circulation yet can smell smoke pathfinder Technical Stuff 2 25th June 2007 22:24
Study finds dogs can smell cancer _Crazi4Speed_ Shifting gears 2 24th September 2004 18:55


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:03.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks