Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2014, 22:20   #2221
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
I liked the SVS sub (SB1000). But the sub costs me Rs 70000 here in Chennai from the authorized dealer. But if you take its original price of $499 (converting it comes to Rs 31000)

Barath
Damn!!! I should have visited this thread earlier, just came from the US today..

Hi All,
Looking for a Home Theatre in Bangalore, visited Chroma/E-Zone etc and most sales representative are pushing me to go for a Blu-ray Home theatre system which has a lot of smart features which my TV already has.
Can anyone tell me if it really makes any difference having a Blu-Ray HT.

My only requirement is good sound quality connecting it with the TV/Xbox/USB and not gonna use Blu-ray discs. Can anyone suggest me a system within the budget of 40K. Little urgent as I am looking to buy one tomorrow itself.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th September 2014, 22:49   #2222
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
My only requirement is good sound quality connecting it with the TV/Xbox/USB and not gonna use Blu-ray discs. Can anyone suggest me a system within the budget of 40K. Little urgent as I am looking to buy one tomorrow itself.
Yamaha YHT-2910

http://in.yamaha.com/en/products/aud..._w/?mode=model

This will play XBox sound in Dolby digital and will handle other usual connectivity.

This is a pure Audio system and you would need a separate Media player if you need to play movies etc.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 00:14   #2223
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yamaha YHT-2910

http://in.yamaha.com/en/products/aud..._w/?mode=model

This will play XBox sound in Dolby digital and will handle other usual connectivity.

This is a pure Audio system and you would need a separate Media player if you need to play movies etc.
Thanks for the quick response, few more queries. How much should I pay for this? can you help me comparing with SONY as the Watt and DB info is not in the specs - http://www.sony.co.in/product/bdv-n7200w

Last edited by Googleman : 15th September 2014 at 00:16.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 08:29   #2224
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Back to Chndgrh
Posts: 2,013
Thanked: 2,474 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
can you help me comparing with SONY as the Watt and DB info is not in the specs
Forgot about the cooked up wattage on such systems as they mention some PMPO instead of true RMS using some factors which varies from brand to brand , its a good idea to check THD any amplifier which in such models can be as high 3-5 %

have a look at below in addition to the Yamaha suggested by Netfreak

CineMate™ GS Series II digital home theatre speaker system

These are one of best for the money with simple 2 speaker setup good for music as well movies , you could have picked the newer version with wifi from US :(



https://www.boseindia.com/category/2...atre-systems1/

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th September 2014 at 08:31.
Turbanator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 08:39   #2225
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
How much should I pay for this?
Around 41 to 44k depending on shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
comparing with SONY as the Watt and DB info is not in the specs - http://www.sony.co.in/product/bdv-n7200w
Sony system is good, but in a different area. This specific Sony system focuses on Media playback / Blu Ray / Internet and skimps on Audio.

Sony system is approximately 40 W per channel and Yamaha is 70 W per channel. Specs in Sony mention "1200W", that is misleading since it includes wattage of subwoofer.

In better systems, Subwoofer has its own amplifier ("Active" subwoofer). That is the case with Yamaha system.

Sony has a "Passive" subwoofer.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 12:26   #2226
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 84
Thanked: 27 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafalkon View Post
My set top box doesn't have an optical out. Hence currently taking all the analogue out and using my TV as a switcher and the analogue out from the TV is taken to the signal converter, and the optical out from the converter to my AV receiver.
But then, won't your AV receiver convert the digital back to analog again, which is similar to the original source?

You need to upgrade your set top box to an HD box, which has digital out. You can connect the HD set top box digital out to your home theater's digital in, so that you get 5.1 channel playback.

Last edited by murillo : 15th September 2014 at 12:28.
murillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 12:37   #2227
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Around 41 to 44k depending on shop.



Sony system is good, but in a different area. This specific Sony system focuses on Media playback / Blu Ray / Internet and skimps on Audio.

Sony system is approximately 40 W per channel and Yamaha is 70 W per channel. Specs in Sony mention "1200W", that is misleading since it includes wattage of subwoofer.

In better systems, Subwoofer has its own amplifier ("Active" subwoofer). That is the case with Yamaha system.

Sony has a "Passive" subwoofer.
Thanks guys for quick and precise input.

ok, great... will zero down on this. Will go to Chroma in another hour and I am expecting them not to have a demo available so will have to buy a boxed peice.

Now my only worry are the wires for all 5 speakers. Think I dont have any other option for the amount of money I am paying

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Forgot about the cooked up wattage on such systems as they mention some PMPO instead of true RMS using some factors which varies from brand to brand , its a good idea to check THD any amplifier which in such models can be as high 3-5 %

have a look at below in addition to the Yamaha suggested by Netfreak

CineMate™ GS Series II digital home theatre speaker system

These are one of best for the money with simple 2 speaker setup good for music as well movies , you could have picked the newer version with wifi from US :(



https://www.boseindia.com/category/2...atre-systems1/
I actually visited Frys,Costco and Bestbuy in the US and did not find this maybe I should have done a little more research and looked for something somewhere. Let me look at it in the internet, good thing is that I dont have to worry about the wires.

EDIT: Just checked and it is around 62K, beyond my budget so will carry on with the Yamaha.

Last edited by Googleman : 15th September 2014 at 12:42.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 20:20   #2228
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Guys,

I searched all over Bangalore YHT 299 and 2910, none of them available :(
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 20:39   #2229
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,375
Thanked: 315 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Guys,

I searched all over Bangalore YHT 299 and 2910, none of them available :(
Try calling these:

http://www.hifivision.com/authorised...bangalore.html
http://www.justdial.com/Bangalore/au...dealers-yamaha

Usually shops that focus on Audio will have these brands (Not larger stores like Chroma, E-Zone etc )
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th September 2014, 21:49   #2230
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Try calling these:

http://www.hifivision.com/authorised...bangalore.html
http://www.justdial.com/Bangalore/au...dealers-yamaha

Usually shops that focus on Audio will have these brands (Not larger stores like Chroma, E-Zone etc )
Yeah I checked all Croma, Reliance Digital and Yamaha showroom.

Yamaha has in HBR, Indira Nagar and Whitefield - None of them have it in stock. Indira Nagar has 2910 as display piece which they are willing to give in 42K but I am not looking forward to buy a display piece.

Reliance Digital Koromangala has 299 as display piece, willing to give for 34K but not good enough to lure me.

I found 2 online options:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Yamaha-YHT-29...208a7a&_uhb=.1
and
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/yama...kage/734358138

More tempted towards 299 as there is very less difference between 299 and 2910
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 16:44   #2231
BHPian
 
glenmz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 328
Thanked: 236 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Googleman View Post
Yeah I checked all Croma, Reliance Digital and Yamaha showroom.

Yamaha has in HBR, Indira Nagar and Whitefield - None of them have it in stock. Indira Nagar has 2910 as display piece which they are willing to give in 42K but I am not looking forward to buy a display piece.

Reliance Digital Koromangala has 299 as display piece, willing to give for 34K but not good enough to lure me.

I found 2 online options:
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Yamaha-YHT-29...208a7a&_uhb=.1
and
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/yama...kage/734358138

More tempted towards 299 as there is very less difference between 299 and 2910
There is very little differenct between the two. DId you take an audition of the system?
When I was in the market to buy a HT system, Yamaha was one of the top contenders. I liked the way Yamaha sounded compared to others and almost had finilized. Thats when I got an offer on a Harman Kardon and a friend offered to carry it for me. And since I moved to my new home at that time, he gave it as a gift
glenmz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd September 2014, 22:21   #2232
BHPian
 
Googleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Blore/Jmshedpur
Posts: 240
Thanked: 48 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenmz View Post
There is very little differenct between the two. DId you take an audition of the system?
When I was in the market to buy a HT system, Yamaha was one of the top contenders. I liked the way Yamaha sounded compared to others and almost had finilized. Thats when I got an offer on a Harman Kardon and a friend offered to carry it for me. And since I moved to my new home at that time, he gave it as a gift
Myyyy.... as a gift.

I did audition it and did not find any other HT sounding as good as this. However, none are available in the market so ended up ordering it through ebay. Made the payment on 19th and still hasn't shipped it

All this slowly takes off the excitement.
Googleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 17:00   #2233
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 122
Thanked: 136 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

folks,

I just setup my home theater with HKTS 65 speaker and Harman AVR 270 and enjoying every bit of it. I am yet to fine tune the same for best output by playing around with speaker position a little.

I am planning to add a multimedia player. Between WD TV live and ASUS Oplay mini plus which one would the experts suggest. My requirement is to play variety of downloaded media files and also connect my storage device to access all these media files through wifi.

Appreciate your expert opinion on this forum and it as always worked for me
Dust_Harl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 17:46   #2234
BHPian
 
HillMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 699
Thanked: 401 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dust_Harl View Post
I am planning to add a multimedia player. Between WD TV live and ASUS Oplay mini plus which one would the experts suggest.
Was researching these a while back. Asus seem to have playback issues with HD videos. WD was better.

Anyway I ended up connecting an old PC with XP and MediaPortal installed on it. My android phone works as a remote for it over WiFi.

Last edited by HillMan : 25th September 2014 at 17:51.
HillMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th September 2014, 18:04   #2235
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Goa
Posts: 19
Thanked: 14 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

I am looking out for a home theatre 5.1 dolby sound with DVD player.It should be able to connect to my tatasky HD. I dont have a very high budget. I have an LED Tv.
motorlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me build a Simple Home Theater PC sandeepmdas Gadgets, Computers & Software 66 16th May 2013 23:30
USB Hard Disk to Home Theater autoenthusiast Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th August 2008 21:36
Home theater under $220 cooldude1988765 Gadgets, Computers & Software 4 9th November 2006 14:31
For SALE- Home Theater components nitinbhag Shifting gears 1 2nd August 2006 18:24
Home Theater - Amp/woofer for Car vivek.singh.73 In-Car Entertainment 6 25th September 2005 12:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 10:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks