Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 09:37   #2731
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,278
Thanked: 18,770 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
NR 1506 is great, I have its younger brother 1504. Avoid 520BT(lacks some long term features and connectivity. Almost an HTiB receiver in my opinion). NR series come with 50w discrete amplification, which seems little, but is more than enough for most applications and speakers. See that your speakers are fairly efficient, i.e 88db and above at 8Ohms you are good. Lower sensitivity and the amp will struggle.

If you are thinking of a stereo amp, look for one with separate Pre and Main sections. That ways in future the Pre Out of a receiver can be fed directly into the Mains In of the stereo amp making it a power amp, avoiding two Pre Out stages and volume matching issues.
Have finalized on the NR1506. Should be getting it in a couple of weeks.

ProFX tried to convince me for a Denon 1200W but I really didn't need the 7 channels for the additional money, I felt it was a waste.

Quote:
Rule out B6. Its an excellent speaker, however, its best with a beefy stereo amp, not a receiver. I had a pair for 2 months bought from Modern World, Domlur. 1504 just didn't do justice to it. The new buyer uses them with a Peachtree amp and boy do they sing.

With the 1506 consider Zensor 1/3, Kef Q300, Q Acoustics 3020/Concept 20, Polk Audio RTi A1/A3. Polk TSx series are good, but the upgrade bug will hit sooner. Rti Series are much better. All these will need a Sub.
Based on your earlier suggestion, I ruled out the B6.

I did a long audition of the Polk TSX220b and the Rti A3. Between these 2, I could make out that the RtiA3 had better clarity and separation. The bass was lesser but tighter controlled. The TSX had a boomy bass and not as sharp. The RTiA3 was also very bright and harsh at higher volumes. The TSX would start distorting earlier but the boomy bass made it sound less harsh.

I'll be surely going for a sub but I felt that the TSX will sound tighter if you add a sub and cut off the lower frequencies to it. The RtiA3 just lacked punched completely and was too bright on treble.

Other than these 2, the speaker I really liked was the Zensor 3, however it's a good stretch in the budget to go for the Dali.

What I'm wondering is how the Zensor 3 compares with the Zensor 1 on bass/low end response? Reviews seem to indicate the Zensor 1 has good bass as well but I haven't been able to hear one.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 11:49   #2732
BHPian
 
Fillmore's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 271
Thanked: 127 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Have finalized on the NR1506. Should be getting it in a couple of weeks.
Just asking ...
Are you sure you do not want to get an amp with dual HDMI out ports ?

couple of months down the road in case you want to add a Projector might come in handy
Fillmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 12:36   #2733
BHPian
 
cooljai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-30/KA-53
Posts: 91
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Need some advice on purchasing electronics from the US.
Will be travelling to US during the last week of October.
Would you advice if its a good idea to buy an AV receiver or a pair of bookshelf or centre channel speakers, considering that the prices are really attractive?
Have enough of baggage allowance to fit in a receiver or a pair of speakers.
cooljai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 12:54   #2734
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,278
Thanked: 18,770 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
Just asking ...
Are you sure you do not want to get an amp with dual HDMI out ports ?

couple of months down the road in case you want to add a Projector might come in handy
Hahaha. Another attempt to sabotage the already shot up budget.

Luckily my current house I cannot add a projector as there is simply not enough room. I need to change house for projector.

Am starting with MArantz AV-R NR 1506 + Dali Zensor 3 / Polk TSX220b combo.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 12:57   #2735
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
I need to change house for projector.
That would be something. Yes I can see it happen too.

First you assemble your Home Theater system and then build your house around it. Perfect.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 13:07   #2736
Team-BHP Support
 
Gannu_1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Madras
Posts: 4,701
Thanked: 9,109 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Need some advice on purchasing electronics from the US.
Will be travelling to US during the last week of October.
Would you advice if its a good idea to buy an AV receiver or a pair of bookshelf or centre channel speakers, considering that the prices are really attractive?
Have enough of baggage allowance to fit in a receiver or a pair of speakers.
For devices with AC input voltage, do check if it has a universal input or with a voltage selector. Or get a compatible step down transformer.
Gannu_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 13:22   #2737
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
For devices with AC input voltage, do check if it has a universal input or with a voltage selector. Or get a compatible step down transformer.
Some products have a transformer that is capable of 110V and 220VAC inputs.

The Primary side of the transformer has 2 110V windings. These windings are connected in parallel for 110V countries and in series for 220V countries.

You can check with your manufacturer or qualified audio repair person if your audio component's primary transformer is so equipped.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 13:31   #2738
BHPian
 
cooljai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: KL-30/KA-53
Posts: 91
Thanked: 17 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
For devices with AC input voltage, do check if it has a universal input or with a voltage selector. Or get a compatible step down transformer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by navin View Post
Some products have a transformer that is capable of 110V and 220VAC inputs.

The Primary side of the transformer has 2 110V windings. These windings are connected in parallel for 110V countries and in series for 220V countries.

You can check with your manufacturer or qualified audio repair person if your audio component's primary transformer is so equipped.
Thanks, how about using a step down transformer, will that induce any harmonics into the audio?
Also, does the frequency difference of 10hz matter for audio circuits?
What would you all suggest, getting the speakers or the electronics?
What is the default warranty period if we buy these electronics from India?

Last edited by cooljai : 16th September 2016 at 13:34.
cooljai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 15:25   #2739
Team-BHP Support
 
navin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 22,230
Thanked: 3,642 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooljai View Post
Thanks, how about using a step down transformer, will that induce any harmonics into the audio?
Also, does the frequency difference of 10hz matter for audio circuits?
What would you all suggest, getting the speakers or the electronics?
What is the default warranty period if we buy these electronics from India?
Speakers are fragile. The gap between the voice coil and the magnet is usually less than 1mm. (see pic taken from speaker world or speaker lab or some place like that)

If the speaker is knocked around in transit the voice coil can jam itself against the magnet and you would have some repair to do and the speaker may never perform as originally designed to do.

Hence try and ship speakers as little as possible unless you are ordering bulk and the entire shipment is "palletized".

Now when it comes to step down transformers. In theory there is nothing wrong with them. In practice I see 2 small issues.
  1. Heat - converting voltages from 220 to 110 would generate some amount of heat more so due to the fact that you are driving a reactive load.
  2. Transformer rating - since the primary coil of your component is an inductive load your step down transformer must be over rated to be able to handle such a reactive load.

If it cant be helped and if power requirement are small (100W or so) it not a problem. When I landed in Mumbai some decades ago with a lot of audio equipment I needed 2 3KVA step down transformers to power the 3 big power amps (totaling 1000W rms/8ohms/20-20kHz across 6 channels of power) and all the source equipment and processors (companders, equalizers, etc).

The only area where AC cycles are significant are with turntables driven by AC Synchronous motors.

Last edited by navin : 18th April 2017 at 11:01.
navin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 20:00   #2740
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Have finalized on the NR1506. Should be getting it in a couple of weeks.


Based on your earlier suggestion, I ruled out the B6.

I did a long audition of the Polk TSX220b and the Rti A3. Between these 2, I could make out that the RtiA3 had better clarity and separation. The bass was lesser but tighter controlled. The TSX had a boomy bass and not as sharp. The RTiA3 was also very bright and harsh at higher volumes. The TSX would start distorting earlier but the boomy bass made it sound less harsh.

I'll be surely going for a sub but I felt that the TSX will sound tighter if you add a sub and cut off the lower frequencies to it. The RtiA3 just lacked punched completely and was too bright on treble.

Other than these 2, the speaker I really liked was the Zensor 3, however it's a good stretch in the budget to go for the Dali.

What I'm wondering is how the Zensor 3 compares with the Zensor 1 on bass/low end response? Reviews seem to indicate the Zensor 1 has good bass as well but I haven't been able to hear one.
Thats great. Pick what suits your tastes best. Z3 is really good, with a Sub even Z1 is a good option. HT Store are the dealers for Dali, they dont have it for Demo? You can also try KEF Q100/300.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Hahaha. Another attempt to sabotage the already shot up budget.

Luckily my current house I cannot add a projector as there is simply not enough room. I need to change house for projector.

Am starting with MArantz AV-R NR 1506 + Dali Zensor 3 / Polk TSX220b combo.
A simple HDMI splitter does the job quite well. That is what I use in my setup.

MaSh

Last edited by mashmash : 16th September 2016 at 20:04.
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 20:02   #2741
BHPian
 
akbaree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 579
Thanked: 43 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
I am trying to configure a home system for me and would like to audition some systems. Is there a good place in Thane where I can go? There was a nice store in Viviana mall but that is now no longer in service.

If not Thane, then will go to Mumbai on the weekend. Any other store in addition to ProFx?
For my home system, I will be mostly listening to music. Most of my music collection is in Flac format with some MP3. However I do want to connect my DVR, and the Blue Ray player for occasional movie watching.

Keeping this requirement in mind, I did some research and have shortlisted following

1. Marantz NR 1506 AV Receiver
2. Marantz MM 7025 Stereo Amplifier

The Home Theater thread-ht.png

I will be taking a phased approach and will first set up only the stereo (green tick in the pic above). As and when opportunity presents (have finance), will buy center and surround channels and may be powered sub at last.

I had liked Jamo but am unable to find them online and don't know where to find them in Mumbai. I will be going to ProFx and HiFiMart tomorrow to audition Kef and Wharfedale. There's a really good deal on Wharfedale diamond 240.

I should have first selected the speakers, nevertheless, I need your inputs on following...

1. Which pair of speakers are suggested for the above setup? My budget is 50-70K for the speakers.
2. The A/V receiver and amplifier will set me back by more than a lac. Please let me know if there are better options at this price point?
akbaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 20:44   #2742
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akbaree View Post
For my home system, I will be mostly listening to music. Most of my music collection is in Flac format with some MP3. However I do want to connect my DVR, and the Blue Ray player for occasional movie watching.

Keeping this requirement in mind, I did some research and have shortlisted following

1. Marantz NR 1506 AV Receiver
2. Marantz MM 7025 Stereo Amplifier


I will be taking a phased approach and will first set up only the stereo (green tick in the pic above). As and when opportunity presents (have finance), will buy center and surround channels and may be powered sub at last.


1. Which pair of speakers are suggested for the above setup? My budget is 50-70K for the speakers.
2. The A/V receiver and amplifier will set me back by more than a lac. Please let me know if there are better options at this price point?
Very good direction. However, you will land into unwanted distortion and volume matching issues if you plan to use this stereo amp as a power amp with a receiver. Its not a Cannot Do solution, however, if planned well, then can do differently. I would suggestion you look for a stereo amp with separate Pre Amp and Mains In sections. Receiver's Pre Out/Pre Amp can then be connected to the Mains In of the stereo amp, bypassing the Stereo Amp's Pre Amp section. This would be a cleaner way of using a receiver and a power amp. Will turn out to be a boon while running Audyssey or similar auto setups. Most NAD amps have this. I use Marantz 1504 + Vintage NAD 304 in this way.

This URL should give you detailed info on this http://www.hifihunter.com/articles/i...-setup-part-1/

MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th September 2016, 21:47   #2743
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,278
Thanked: 18,770 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Thats great. Pick what suits your tastes best. Z3 is really good, with a Sub even Z1 is a good option. HT Store are the dealers for Dali, they dont have it for Demo? You can also try KEF Q100/300.
When I went there 2 weeks back he had the Zensor 3 and not the Zensor 1. Need to check if he has the Zensor 1 in stock.

I heard the KEFQ300 as well and they are way more than the Dali's but the sound wasn't impressive. While vocals were really good and the soundstage was good the low end punch was completely lacking. The RtiA3 was actually sounding better.

I need to check how the Zensor 1 fares and pickup either the Zensor 1 or 3.

Sub will have to come in after 2-3 months and based on what I read and little I heard, the Polk DSW 550i is a strong contender. HT Store had the Velodyne Impact 10 but I am really not sure about Velodyne service and support in India. In comparison ProFX seems to be very good in customer service.

Visiting ProFX at both their branches has been a very good experience.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 03:30   #2744
BHPian
 
mashmash's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 348
Thanked: 110 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
When I went there 2 weeks back he had the Zensor 3 and not the Zensor 1. Need to check if he has the Zensor 1 in stock.

I heard the KEFQ300 as well and they are way more than the Dali's but the sound wasn't impressive. While vocals were really good and the soundstage was good the low end punch was completely lacking. The RtiA3 was actually sounding better.

I need to check how the Zensor 1 fares and pickup either the Zensor 1 or 3.

Sub will have to come in after 2-3 months and based on what I read and little I heard, the Polk DSW 550i is a strong contender. HT Store had the Velodyne Impact 10 but I am really not sure about Velodyne service and support in India. In comparison ProFX seems to be very good in customer service.

Visiting ProFX at both their branches has been a very good experience.
Yes thats because: (+-3db)
Polk Rti A3: 40Hz-27kHz
Kef q300: 42Hz - 40kHz
Z1: 53 - 26,500
Z3: 50 - 26,500

RTi A3 goes the lowest. hence sounds punchier. Question is at what freq will you be crossing it over once the Sub comes? So pick the speaker keeping that in mind. In most probability you will be crossing them at around 80Hz, giving everything below to the Sub.

Pro Fx is really good and their service center near lal bagh is well stocked. I remember going there gingerly holding my Polk Monitor 30s in each hand with blown tweeters hoping they had them in stock. They had. What a moment that was. So yes, support matters, I have already lost 2 Subs, due to lack of parts. A friend recently bought the 550i and its sounds fantastic. However, these subs are also have a known issue with one of their caps going bad very soon. Symptom being a thump every time you switch it on.


MaSh
mashmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th September 2016, 09:31   #2745
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,278
Thanked: 18,770 Times
Default Re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Yes thats because: (+-3db)
Polk Rti A3: 40Hz-27kHz
Kef q300: 42Hz - 40kHz
Z1: 53 - 26,500
Z3: 50 - 26,500

RTi A3 goes the lowest. hence sounds punchier. Question is at what freq will you be crossing it over once the Sub comes? So pick the speaker keeping that in mind. In most probability you will be crossing them at around 80Hz, giving everything below to the Sub.
That's interesting. The Rti A3 goes lower than the Dali's but in real world listening you can never feel that. The Zensor 3 had much more bass and was far more punchier at low frequencies than the RtiA3.



Quote:
Pro Fx is really good and their service center near lal bagh is well stocked. I remember going there gingerly holding my Polk Monitor 30s in each hand with blown tweeters hoping they had them in stock. They had. What a moment that was. So yes, support matters, I have already lost 2 Subs, due to lack of parts. A friend recently bought the 550i and its sounds fantastic. However, these subs are also have a known issue with one of their caps going bad very soon. Symptom being a thump every time you switch it on.
Yeah I read about that sub thump issue on the 550 but I think it's still safer than Velodyne with minimal support in India. ProFX seems to be handling the 550 issues well as well.

Last edited by Vid6639 : 17th September 2016 at 09:32.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me build a Simple Home Theater PC sandeepmdas Gadgets, Computers & Software 66 16th May 2013 23:30
USB Hard Disk to Home Theater autoenthusiast Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th August 2008 21:36
Home theater under $220 cooldude1988765 Gadgets, Computers & Software 4 9th November 2006 14:31
For SALE- Home Theater components nitinbhag Shifting gears 1 2nd August 2006 18:24
Home Theater - Amp/woofer for Car vivek.singh.73 In-Car Entertainment 6 25th September 2005 12:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:41.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks