Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 21st September 2017, 14:17   #3061
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The Home Theater thread

I had reset my APPLE TV.
Now, when I plug APPLE TV, the opening screen show buttons for GENERAL & SETTINGS. Now it is here that I need original remote to toggle to SETTINGS and do further setup.
With remote becoming useless, I am unable to do so.
I have tried few universal remotes but APPLE TV wont recognize them.
So am stuck at very basic setting only.

Regards-Sonu
ariesonu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2017, 10:29   #3062
BHPian

A quick question to all you enthusiast.Want a decent music system for myself this Diwali. My Criteria
We dont listen to very loud music but should be enough to fill up the room with good quality music.
Budget around 75 K.
Must have add on/multi room configuration facility for later.
Should have wifi and bluetooth seamless high quality streaming facility.
Preferably able to control Bass and Treble settings.
Now i visited Bose Centre yesterday and saw the Bose Sound Touch 30 and their Soundbar but without the woofer was not vey impressed.

Suggestions please. Thanks in advance
nkghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th October 2017, 15:48   #3063
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Want a decent music system for myself this Diwali. My Criteria
We dont listen to very loud music but should be enough to fill up the room with good quality music.
Budget around 75 K.
Must have add on/multi room configuration facility for later.
Should have wifi and bluetooth seamless high quality streaming facility.
Preferably able to control Bass and Treble settings.
Yamaha 483 AV receiver with a good 5.1 speaker system, like the Focal Sib Cub. Would work for music and movies both. AVR has all of your requisites.
Bass&Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2017, 17:13   #3064
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkghai View Post
Suggestions please. Thanks in advance
I am trying to reply to your PM but I get a message as attached.
Attached Thumbnails
The Home Theater thread-tbhp.png  

Old 28th October 2017, 17:50   #3065
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
I am trying to reply to your PM but I get a message as attached.
OOPs
Just changed my settings
Please try now
nkghai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 01:31   #3066
BHPian

Hi guys,
I want to have a basic Stereo Music System. I was thinking of a Receiver (Yamaha/Pioneer) plus a DVD Player (Pioneer/Panasonic) plus two speakers (Yamaha/Dali/Polk Audio/JBL)
Budget around 50-60 thousand.

I don't need a 5.1 channel system.... just a good system for music.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Siddhartha
siddarthab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 01:48   #3067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siddarthab View Post
Hi guys,
I want to have a basic Stereo Music System. I was thinking of a Receiver (Yamaha/Pioneer) plus a DVD Player (Pioneer/Panasonic) plus two speakers (Yamaha/Dali/Polk Audio/JBL)

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Siddhartha
I have paired norge-2060 amp with a pair of polk audio tsi300 floor standing speakers and am fairly happy with the result.
civic-dk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th November 2017, 10:38   #3068
BHPian

Question Re: Barebones FM stereo receiver?

Any recommendations for a good FM stereo receiver(No distortions/Signal Noise) to pair up with my Amp? I would like this to be in a budget of around 2K. Just a good FM stereo feed.

Please advise!
JMaruru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th November 2017, 14:23   #3069
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Barebones FM stereo receiver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any recommendations for a good FM stereo receiver(No distortions/Signal Noise) to pair up with my Amp?
I guess you mean stand alone radio? You won't find a FM Stereo Receiver for 2k even on Sp Road.

Pick up a Sony ICF-P36 or a SRF-18. Nobody makes better radios today than a Sony. Both are below Rs. 1400.

The other option is to use an old android phone with an FM radio on board. The sound decent.
sandeepmohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th November 2017, 19:05   #3070
Distinguished - BHPian

Audio query for an outdoor requirement.

Need advice to setup an audio system for a 300 ft. X 300 ft. open area (enclosed compound but open roof). Weather proof/resistant equipment is a must-have.

Is it possible to have a wireless setup, something akin to utilizing WiFi Direct? Requirement would be about 5-6 speakers spread out over the area connected to a central transmitter/receiver that can play audio from multiple sources (phones, MP3 players etc.), plus an option to have a microphone or two available for public speaking.

What kind of equipment should I be looking at? I specifically didn't mention a budget as I have no idea what something like this costs.

Happy to answer additional questions. Appreciate any responses/advice I can get.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 7th November 2017 at 19:07.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2017, 18:06   #3071
BHPian

Quote:

- There are 5 parts to a music "SYSTEM"
1. Source : MP3, FLAC, CD, Internet, FM
2. Player : CD, Laptop
3. Amp : Stereo Amp , AVR
4. Speakers: Bookshelf, Floor standing, sub-woofer
5. Listening environment : Room

1. What do you usually listen to? This needs some introspecting.

2. Answer to the above will decide the player. If you have a laptop already use it for mp3/FLAC/CD first without buying a player. Ask yourself if you really need a CD player. The good ones are expensive and the cheap ones will not bring out the capabilities of the amp and speakers.

3. Learn the difference between AVR and Stereo Amp. If you want and intend to have a music only application stick to stereo amp. If you think you will want to build a 5.1 HT sometime in the future go for AVR. Know that AVR will be inferior to stereo amp for music for a given price point.

4. Avoid subs at your budget, a good set of speakers can deliver sufficient bass without need for a sub. Bookshelf speakers will be better than floor standing at a given price point. Floor standing speakers tend to have deeper bass.

5. Listening room plays a big part. I would say 40% weight. Evaluate where you want to place your speakers - this will let you know if you have the space for FS speakers. Some speakers need adequate space between it and the walls to sound good. In my case the bass overpowers the details if placed close to the walls.

Other pointers to think about :
- What is your appetite for convenience? Do you need BT audio etc?
- What type of music do you like? Clear vocals and music? Thumping bass?
- Do you need protection from power spikes? A stabilizer perhaps?

My system:
I listen to MP3 and FLAC only. So my player is a laptop. My amp is a NAD C 320 BEE and I have a pair of pioneer FS-52 speakers. I adore and love my system to the core. At times I have stayed up till ungodly hours just because I couldn't stop listening. My system brings out superb detail even at low volumes.

PS : Take time and figure this out. The journey is worth it

The Home Theater thread-img_20170806_122128082.jpg
rajathv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th November 2017, 20:49   #3072
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys,
You could get a nice integrated amp from NAD or Marantz, pair it up with some good bookshelves like Monitor Audio MR series and you should be home comfortably at that budget. Add a small sub if its a large room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Audio query for an outdoor requirement.

Need advice to setup an audio system for a 300 ft. X 300 ft. open area (enclosed compound but open roof). Weather proof/resistant equipment is a must-have.

Is it possible to have a wireless setup, something akin to utilizing WiFi Direct? Requirement would be about 5-6 speakers spread out over the area connected to a central transmitter/receiver that can play audio from multiple sources (phones, MP3 players etc.), plus an option to have a microphone or two available for public speaking.
Wireless would be fairly expensive - http://www.proacousticsusa.com/power...edia-unit.html

Wired would be far more economical- you can run speaker cables to all speakers, and park the amplifier somewhere indoors.

Basically you need an amp with a mic input, bluetooth for playing from multiple inputs, and good weather resistant speakers would range from 10k a piece to 30k from JBL, Community etc.
Old 1st December 2017, 19:11   #3073
VKS
BHPian

Recently got Yamaha YAS 107 soundbar for 19.5k from Soundfactor Pune.
I am very happy with the sound quality, there was a firmware update required after which the sound quality improved exponentially . This comes with 4K support and has an option to connect powered subwoofer which will be nice addon in future.
VKS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th December 2017, 15:29   #3074
Senior - BHPian

I have a question not exactly about home-theatres but about projectors.

I want to buy a project for office use - for projecting the laptop screen on to a whiteboard during meetings. This will be in meetings for about 10 people in a rule. What specs should I look for in a projector. I see a wide range of projectors going from 10,000 Rs to lakhs. What is a good brand and model for office use?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th December 2017, 22:33   #3075
BHPian

I have a question of the different audio codecs.

My home theater receiver is Onkyo TX-NR609. I use two sources primarily
1. Play mkv files on the TVs USB input and TVs headphone out to Receiver's TV in via RCA cable (There is no other audio out option in TV other than the 3.5mm socket)
2. Google chrome cast directly connected to receiver and HDMI connection to TV

Speaker set up is 5.1.

Now when I play a mkv file from TV, how do I choose the right listening mode (page 36 in above manual)?

There are different Listening mode options like Dolby Pro Logic II,Dolby Pro Logic IIz Height, Dolby EX, DTS-HD Master Audio, Neo:6, THX Cinema etc etc available in the receiver. I am not aware on how to identify the right match between the audio encoding inside the mkv file and what is available inside the receiver.
arjithin is offline   Reply With Quote