Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2010, 23:07   #1216
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 137
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Need Suggestions

I have a home theatre set up at home, this was set up around 4+ years back. The details are as follows

TV - 29 Inch Sony Wega
Amp - Jamo AVR 693
Speakers - Jamo S 606 HCS3
DVD Player - Philips

I picked this up at a time when HD was still in its very early stages. 2 months back I upgraded my TV to a Full HD one and thinking of procuring a BlueRay Player

As my Amp does not support HD, changing the DVD player will not help me completly as my AMP will not be able to decode the sound.

Can you please suggest the options I have, also what to do with the Jamo Amp incase I decide on changing it?

Thanks a lot in advance.

Cheers,
RS
RSimonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 09:07   #1217
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 329 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

You can decode sound in Blue Ray player itself. In that case, existing Amp can be used. You can feed the Amp via Coaxial/Optical cables.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 18:38   #1218
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
As my Amp does not support HD, changing the DVD player will not help me completly as my AMP will not be able to decode the sound..
Waitaminit. AFAIK, amp has nothing to with HD video. I takes out only the audio, amplifies it, and passes on the video signal to the TV, unmodified (except for its own menu, for amps with OSD. Hope somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

Edit:- Is a 29 inch TV sufficient for Video?

.
Quote:
Can you please suggest the options I have, also what to do with the Jamo Amp incase I decide on changing it?
If the amp is DTS capable, you may not have to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
1. Composite Video cable (Yellow Color Port) will connect it to CRT to Video
2. Red and White colored Stereo ports will send audio to TV
Yes, this solved the problem. Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Where exactly is the issue?
Now, I am feeling sheepish. Seems that the stereo system I am using has some issue with one channel. Had not noticed it earlier. Now that the speakers are spread real wide, the problem is apparent.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 20th December 2010 at 18:40.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 19:14   #1219
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 329 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
If the amp is DTS capable, you may not have to change it.
DTS (Or Dolby) is used by DVD Quality Audio files. Blu Ray uses more advanced codec (DTS MA HD or Dolby True HD).

Either Amp has to understand this format or Bly Ray has to decode and stream decoded audio over HDMI (Optical/ Coaxial cables do not have enough bandwidth for these newer codecs)
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2010, 20:10   #1220
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kochi
Posts: 2,147
Thanked: 143 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
DTS (Or Dolby) is used by DVD Quality Audio files. Blu Ray uses more advanced codec (DTS MA HD or Dolby True HD).

Either Amp has to understand this format or .....
Assuming that the amp does not understand this format (DTS true / MA HD), how will the player communicate the audio signals to the amp?

Quote:
Bly Ray has to decode and stream decoded audio over HDMI (Optical/ Coaxial cables do not have enough bandwidth for these newer codecs)
So, no HDMI, no use of Blue Ray?
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 09:13   #1221
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Chennai
Posts: 13
Thanked: Once
Default re: The Home Theater thread

I have a 32" Sony Bravisa LCD. I am looking for a decent HT. I have shortlisted ONKYO HT S 3360. The room where I plan to install is 16 x 14. Main needs are good quality AV(not keen on loud volume). Devices to connect- Xbox, HD DTH reportedly with 5.1 optical output, ipod and at a later date a bluray dvd player. I am no expert in AV and most of the jargons in the spec are beyond my analytical ability. Any cooments/ experience?

Do you have any alternate suggestions in Chennai. Butget is aroud 40K
vivek_lo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 09:28   #1222
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 329 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Assuming that the amp does not understand this format (DTS true / MA HD), how will the player communicate the audio signals to the amp?
Player will decode the audio and send raw audio data to Amp (LPCM). Some older Amp might not be able to handle such large amount of Raw data (because of High Resolution and and High Sampling frequency E.g. 36 bits @ 192 KHz)

Or player can send the channels via analogue but some fidality would be lost due to DAC and ADC conversion in Player and Amp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
So, no HDMI, no use of Blue Ray?
Pretty much yes. Though analogue Video / Audio cables can help to certain extent.

Analogue Video (three video cables instead of single yellow) can carry video up to 720p, and you can use 6 cables for Audio.

But practically, handling 20 cables is a nightmare (power + audio to Amp + video + FM + Audio to Speakers)
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 17:50   #1223
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 137
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

I am sorry about the delayed response, was not having access. Thanks a lot for all the suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
You can decode sound in Blue Ray player itself. In that case, existing Amp can be used. You can feed the Amp via Coaxial/Optical cables.
This is the cheapest option. But with this, wont we be loosing the sound information as my amp will not be able to decode the HD encoding?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Waitaminit. AFAIK, amp has nothing to with HD video. I takes out only the audio, amplifies it, and passes on the video signal to the TV, unmodified (except for its own menu, for amps with OSD. Hope somebody will correct me if I am wrong.

Edit:- Is a 29 inch TV sufficient for Video?
TV is a 46 inch one. So it supports Full HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Player will decode the audio and send raw audio data to Amp (LPCM). Some older Amp might not be able to handle such large amount of Raw data (because of High Resolution and and High Sampling frequency E.g. 36 bits @ 192 KHz)

Or player can send the channels via analogue but some fidality would be lost due to DAC and ADC conversion in Player and Amp.

Pretty much yes. Though analogue Video / Audio cables can help to certain extent.

Analogue Video (three video cables instead of single yellow) can carry video up to 720p, and you can use 6 cables for Audio.

But practically, handling 20 cables is a nightmare (power + audio to Amp + video + FM + Audio to Speakers)
If the amp can handle both audio an video, i can direct all my cables to the amp and then from the amp to the TV and the surround speackers... Seems like a very costly dream though.
RSimonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:34   #1224
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 329 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
wont we be loosing the sound information as my amp will not be able to decode the HD encoding?
It would loose HD Audio. Blu Ray player will downsample audio to DTS Core. In my opinion, that should be sufficient since most music sources (E.g. Audio CD) are still SD.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
If the amp can handle both audio an video, i can direct all my cables to the amp and then from the amp to the TV and the surround speackers... Seems like a very costly dream though.
Such Amps are AVR (Audio Video Receiver). Cost starts from 20,000. Cost comes down to 12,000 if bought in US and carried as hand baggage.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 18:41   #1225
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 137
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

I am kind of getting an inclination for Yamaha 667 or Denon 1911... both seems to be good AVRs, yes we will get it for half the price in US. How do we trasnport it from US, as the secod checkin buggage? Any idea?
RSimonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 19:16   #1226
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,350
Thanked: 31 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
I am kind of getting an inclination for Yamaha 667 or Denon 1911... both seems to be good AVRs, yes we will get it for half the price in US. How do we trasnport it from US, as the secod checkin buggage? Any idea?
Depends on weight. You should be able to bring 23 kgs without any problem. Check on total packaged weight which should be available in the description of the product in Amazon.

Best is to check it in and bring it. If its overweight by a couple of kgs, you can still pay the excess luggage fare.

Keep the receipt with you for Customs purposes.

Other option is to remove the packaging and put it in your suitcase, provided it fits and stuff enough clothes on all sides to ensure it is not damaged. However the bigger receivers will not fit and you also need to have a soft top/bottom luggage for doing this.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st December 2010, 22:42   #1227
Senior - BHPian
 
NetfreakBombay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 329 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
I am kind of getting an inclination for Yamaha 667 or Denon 1911... both seems to be good AVRs, yes we will get it for half the price in US. How do we trasnport it from US, as the secod checkin buggage? Any idea?
You can buy a throwaway large bag at any chinatown for $30 or so. This can be used to carry AVR + clothes around it to shield it.
NetfreakBombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2010, 11:56   #1228
BHPian
 
s.prashanth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: bangalore
Posts: 361
Thanked: 59 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

I have a philips led 55 inch, denon hdmi with 3d support 7.1 amp, elac sub, onkyo speakers, philips hdmi dvd player and panasonic blu ray
s.prashanth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th December 2010, 21:24   #1229
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by kites View Post
I recently bought a Western Digital Live TV player, it plays almost all the video and audio formats .mkv even. it has two usb ports with HDMI output port as well supporting 1080p. It costed me 7000/- inclusive tax in bangalore s.p road. I highly recommend it.
Nice buy kites - looks like I made the mistake of buying the Sony Blu-ray player before checking out other options. This now seems to fit the bill perfectly.

I have a few questions though - does this read off an NTFS hard-drive? Cause when I am using the Sony Blu-ray player, it can only read FAT formatted HDD and this becomes a problem since I cannot view files that are larger than 4 GB in size.

Does it come with a HDMI cable?

Any issues you've had so far with the player? Quirks?
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th December 2010, 00:31   #1230
BHPian
 
jassi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 980
Thanked: 11 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

^^ maybe i am missing something here, but most HDTVs can now read fat/ntfs (and even ext4) formatted drives and can play everything from mkv, avi to mp3 and even flac!! WD live tv is useless in such cases. Anything more and you'd be better off connecting a laptop (with xbmc or media center) to your TV
Yes i do see value in a blu ray player over a WD tv player in that case, but yeah a bluray laptop beats em all!
jassi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me build a Simple Home Theater PC sandeepmdas Gadgets, Computers & Software 66 16th May 2013 23:30
USB Hard Disk to Home Theater autoenthusiast Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th August 2008 21:36
Home theater under $220 cooldude1988765 Gadgets, Computers & Software 4 9th November 2006 14:31
For SALE- Home Theater components nitinbhag Shifting gears 1 2nd August 2006 18:24
Home Theater - Amp/woofer for Car vivek.singh.73 In-Car Entertainment 6 25th September 2005 12:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:43.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks