Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 16th November 2011, 17:02   #1426
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 572
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Yes the above combination is correct. Be advised though that this HT is on a brighter side. The sub does a decent job. One of my relative bought this HT for almost the same price which you have mentioned 2 years back. If you can stretch your budget a bit then do have an audition of Onkyo HT-S5205

Pick your poision!
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 17:14   #1427
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,664
Thanked: 6,106 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Is this correct?

1. Tata sky

Hdmi from set top box to TV and coaxial from set top box to AVR

2. PS3

Hdmi from ps3 to tv and optical from ps3 to AVR.
Yes that is correct too.

Do check out the Onkyo 3400 before buying, its supposed to be great.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 17:17   #1428
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Is this correct?

1. Tata sky

Hdmi from set top box to TV and coaxial from set top box to AVR

2. PS3

Hdmi from ps3 to tv and optical from ps3 to AVR.
An AVR will always have a HDMI out to the TV and sound out put to the speakers.

So if you want to connect a DTH and a GC, all you need to do is connect the HDMI out of DTH and GC to the respective HDMI in of AVR. You will have an option on AVR to switch between the sources.

HDMIs are capable of carrying sound signals too so you do not need to have any co-axial or optical.

//extra and probably confusing information.


And if you are buying a latest version of AVR the HDMI would be capable of ARC (Audio return channel) so if you connect your TV to a hard disk and select the source as TV (if ARC is available) then the AVR receives sound from the same HDMI.

Last edited by anilisanil : 16th November 2011 at 17:18.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 17:22   #1429
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,664
Thanked: 6,106 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post

So if you want to connect a DTH and a GC, all you need to do is connect the HDMI out of DTH and GC to the respective HDMI in of AVR. You will have an option on AVR to switch between the sources.

.
I don't think Tatasky gives out 5.1 on the hdmi port thats why I was suggesting an optical/coaxial for the sound.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 17:25   #1430
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 572
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

The AVR in cinesystem 140 probably supports only HDMI pass through. The receiver will not be able to decode and send the discrete channels to the speakers for the multichannel content.

However HDMI ports on the receiver can be used to switch between HDMI inputs for the video.

@akshay: Tatasky does provide 5.1 on HDMI. I have my denon connected to taka sky via HDMI and i get full fledged DD 5.1. But for some strange reason in the user sound settings it always displays SPDIF instead of HDMI even if you try to save it as HDMI.

Last edited by ashish22 : 16th November 2011 at 17:32.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 17:27   #1431
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I don't think Tatasky gives out 5.1 on the hdmi port thats why I was suggesting an optical/coaxial for the sound.
Is it? I have a Tata Sky HD+ STB and I just use the HDMI and I do get dts for the HD channels. But even the most basic AVRs process the PCM signals to give out 5.1 obviating the necessity to have 5.1 output from the provider.

So essentially, it is possible to get 5.1 even with SD channels by choosing the respective audio modes on the AVR. So if your AVR is capable of sound processing, optical/co-axial are useless.

Last edited by anilisanil : 16th November 2011 at 17:28.
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 17:37   #1432
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,664
Thanked: 6,106 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Is it? I have a Tata Sky HD+ STB and I just use the HDMI and I do get dts for the HD channels. But even the most basic AVRs process the PCM signals to give out 5.1 obviating the necessity to have 5.1 output from the provider.

So essentially, it is possible to get 5.1 even with SD channels by choosing the respective audio modes on the AVR. So if your AVR is capable of sound processing, optical/co-axial are useless.
Ok I don't know about HD+ but when the HD boxes had just come out this is what I heard. Though I'm sure one of the firmwire updates may have fixed it.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 17:44   #1433
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 572
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Akshay the original problem was with the HD+ boxes where you couldn't get surround via HDMI. One had to connect the box via coaxial in order to get the surround output. Then down the line normal HD boxes also received the same problem after a firmware upgrade and it was believed that this bug was passed on from the HD+ platform. So at that time tata sky HD boxes were also not able to output surround via HDMI. But with the later firmware upgrade (somewhere around August this year) things have been taken care of and bug has been removed.
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2011, 19:51   #1434
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Thanks for all the inputs guys, i was bowled over by the quality of the sub and the speakers and bought it. Just installed it, its working superbly.

Saw the onkyo, the receiver was better but the speakers and sub was not upto the mark of jbl. Moreover the sub was passive where as i got an active sub.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 16:22   #1435
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 572
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Thanks for all the inputs guys, i was bowled over by the quality of the sub and the speakers and bought it. Just installed it, its working superbly.

Saw the onkyo, the receiver was better but the speakers and sub was not upto the mark of jbl. Moreover the sub was passive where as i got an active sub.
congrats on the purchase!

Now that you have the HT i would advice you to get a nice HD media player to compliment your entire setup. Its just so much more entertaining to have such kind of a hardware to keep you system rolling..
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 16:35   #1436
Team-BHP Support
 
mobike008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 10,521
Thanked: 7,202 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22 View Post
Now that you have the HT i would advice you to get a nice HD media player to compliment your entire setup. Its just so much more entertaining to have such kind of a hardware to keep you system rolling..
What's a HD media player? Do you mean something apart from a PS3?

Congrats on the purchase Mustang. I am using an Onkyo HT from the past 6 years and early this year exchanged my 5 year old Onkyo HT ( Base Model) for 7K and replaced with the current base model of Onkyo HT. Forgot the model no.

The sound is marvellous and for my living room set-up, its more than adequate.

I read somewhere that Onkyo's distortion ratio is the least compared to all the start-up range of other comparable HT products? Is that correct?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 16:52   #1437
BHPian
 
ashish22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 572
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Instead of explaining let me rather refer you some of the popular media players. This way you will get a better idea. PS3 as a media player has its set of limitations.

Popcorn Hour - Networked Media Jukebox
WD TV Live Hub
Xtreamer Ultra - Xtreamer.net Shop
Dune HD TV 301 Dune HD GmbH
ashish22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 16:52   #1438
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashish22
congrats on the purchase!

Now that you have the HT i would advice you to get a nice HD media player to compliment your entire setup. Its just so much more entertaining to have such kind of a hardware to keep you system rolling..
Thanks, I already have a ps3, does almost all jobs of on screen entertainment.

I saw a lil bit of spidey 3 yesterday, it was coming on star movies hd, by god it was better than watching it in an actual theater. Full digital 5.1 sarround.

Btw i will be getting apple tv soon as another form of entertainment.

Last edited by Mustang.101 : 17th November 2011 at 16:54.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 16:53   #1439
Senior - BHPian
 
anilisanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,435
Thanked: 287 Times
Default re: The Home Theater thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustang.101 View Post
Thanks, I already have a ps3, does almost all jobs of on screen entertainment.

I saw a lil bit of spidey 3 yesterday, it was coming on star movies hd, by god it was better than watching it in an actual theater. Full digital 5.1 sarround.
And another good thing about watching them on HD channels is that they are uninterrupted! For some benevolent reason there are no ads on HD channels, yet!
anilisanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th November 2011, 16:56   #1440
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 1,316
Thanked: 233 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil

And another good thing about watching them on HD channels is that they are uninterrupted! For some benevolent reason there are no ads on HD channels, yet!
Absolutely correct. This way a 30 min broadcast finishes in 20 mins and a 1 hr broadcast finishes in 40 mins. So bloody nice.
Mustang.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me build a Simple Home Theater PC sandeepmdas Gadgets, Computers & Software 66 16th May 2013 23:30
USB Hard Disk to Home Theater autoenthusiast Gadgets, Computers & Software 0 20th August 2008 21:36
Home theater under $220 cooldude1988765 Gadgets, Computers & Software 4 9th November 2006 14:31
For SALE- Home Theater components nitinbhag Shifting gears 1 2nd August 2006 18:24
Home Theater - Amp/woofer for Car vivek.singh.73 In-Car Entertainment 6 25th September 2005 12:18


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:31.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks