Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2013, 17:13   #316
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Was planning to write a short review on Nook Simple Touch since a long time, but always postponed it for some reason or the other. Anyway, here's a brief review of the same.
Great review and I must say great price! There is a good offer on the B&N site where you can purchase it for $79 with a FREE Screen Film + Lyra Light. But it would be costlier in the end I guess to ship to India. How did you manage the logistics with iShopInternational? Ship it to their address and they manage the logistics?

I'm really tempted to buy it. Have been thinking of getting a dedicated e-book reader for some time!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 18:02   #317
BHPian
 
SankalpDesai's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Frankfurt
Posts: 232
Thanked: 56 Times
Default Re: Amazon launches Kindle e-readers in India, offers free e-books

Amazon has finally brought its famous line of e-readers to India.

Amazon has announced the availability of Kindle and Kindle Paperwhite e-readers in India. The 5th generation Kindle, the smallest and lightest Kindle ever, is available on Amazon.in starting today for Rs 5,999. Both the WiFi only and WiFi + 3G models of Kindle Paperwhite will be available for purchase starting June 27 on Amazon.in at a suggested retail price of Rs 10,999 and Rs 13,999 respectively.

Check out the official site - http://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B007...d_i=1320006031

Last edited by SankalpDesai : 13th June 2013 at 18:03. Reason: spelling
SankalpDesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 18:12   #318
BHPian
 
prateekm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai & BLR
Posts: 756
Thanked: 311 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Great review and I must say great price! There is a good offer on the B&N site where you can purchase it for $79 with a FREE Screen Film + Lyra Light. But it would be costlier in the end I guess to ship to India. How did you manage the logistics with iShopInternational? Ship it to their address and they manage the logistics?

I'm really tempted to buy it. Have been thinking of getting a dedicated e-book reader for some time!
Thanks! How it works is that you go to the iShopInternational website and request a quote. Enter the product URL, the weight (1 lbs) and the promo code (1st purchase) and they will mail you an all-inclusive quote within 24 hours with a payment gateway link at the end. Once you make the payment, they purchase it on your behalf, get it shipped to their US warehouse which is later shipped to India at the end of the day. They pass the customs and then deliver it to you via Blue Dart within 10-12 working days.

PS: I'd already replied this an hour back, no idea where the post disappeared!
prateekm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th June 2013, 18:36   #319
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,319
Thanked: 694 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Thanks! How it works is that you go to the iShopInternational website and request a quote. Enter the product URL, the weight (1 lbs) and the promo code (1st purchase) and they will mail you an all-inclusive quote within 24 hours with a payment gateway link at the end. Once you make the payment, they purchase it on your behalf, get it shipped to their US warehouse which is later shipped to India at the end of the day. They pass the customs and then deliver it to you via Blue Dart within 10-12 working days.

PS: I'd already replied this an hour back, no idea where the post disappeared!
Thanks for the lead to that site. I guess it works much more simpler than some other similar sites. Will check.
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2013, 10:14   #320
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,342
Thanked: 14,174 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Amazon is giving out one free book for its Kindle users everyday for 15 days. Today is day 3, and today's book is Sachin Tendulkar. For once I am going to say NO to a free book.

PS: If you are interested, go to the FB page of Kindle.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2013, 08:43   #321
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,342
Thanked: 14,174 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

My son just broke my wife's Kindle leather cover. It costs 2399 bucks at Amazon.in site. Looking for cheaper options, it is a keyboard Kindle (2nd gen). No luck at flipkart or ebay.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th June 2013, 13:16   #322
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 776
Thanked: 686 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
My son just broke my wife's Kindle leather cover. It costs 2399 bucks at Amazon.in site. Looking for cheaper options, it is a keyboard Kindle (2nd gen). No luck at flipkart or ebay.
Dont think u can get an original cover that is made for Kindle cheaper; u can look around in Mumbai leather stores for something that fits... with luck maybe. I had one like that before I got an original one with reading light costing 4K from Amazon.
gsurya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2013, 06:59   #323
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 527
Thanked: 101 Times
Question Re: Sony PRS-T2?

Does any one have first hand experience with Sony PRS-T2 E-Reader? I am looking for an E-Reader which can render PDF better, and this seems to be a better choice among all available options. Please share your experience.

http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...52921666474334
JMaruru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 13:02   #324
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,153
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

I am planning to go the kindle way as book storage and access have become difficult. I have not used a Kindle, so I hope it would not disappoint me.

Kindle Paperwhite looks interesting, any feedback?

The leather cover retails for around Rs.2300. Any cheaper options available outside?

It seems it is supplied without a charger. The only option is to charge from a computer. Charger is sold as a separate accessory. Do you recommend getting the charger?

The reviews on Amazon India site looks promising. Thanks

Last edited by PatienceWins : 15th August 2013 at 13:04.
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 13:56   #325
BHPian
 
arvind71181's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: TN-14
Posts: 769
Thanked: 764 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am planning to go the kindle way as book storage and access have become difficult. I have not used a Kindle, so I hope it would not disappoint me.

Kindle Paperwhite looks interesting, any feedback?

The leather cover retails for around Rs.2300. Any cheaper options available outside?

It seems it is supplied without a charger. The only option is to charge from a computer. Charger is sold as a separate accessory. Do you recommend getting the charger?

The reviews on Amazon India site looks promising. Thanks
Try the Kindle app on your phone and see if you are happy with it before buying the device. I did that and am so happy with my Kindle app that I did not bother to buy the device itself :-) have around 20 books as of now
arvind71181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 14:12   #326
Senior - BHPian
 
PatienceWins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,153
Thanked: 258 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by arvind71181 View Post
Try the Kindle app on your phone and see if you are happy with it before buying the device. I did that and am so happy with my Kindle app that I did not bother to buy the device itself :-) have around 20 books as of now
I tried some sample pages on my computer/ smart phone and it is fine. You have a valid point, let me try reading a book and then decide. Thanks
PatienceWins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th August 2013, 14:14   #327
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,241
Thanked: 7,889 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
I am planning to go the kindle way as book storage and access have become difficult. I have not used a Kindle, so I hope it would not disappoint me.

Kindle Paperwhite looks interesting, any feedback?

The leather cover retails for around Rs.2300. Any cheaper options available outside?

It seems it is supplied without a charger. The only option is to charge from a computer. Charger is sold as a separate accessory. Do you recommend getting the charger?

The reviews on Amazon India site looks promising. Thanks
I have a kindle paperwhite and am totally happy with it. Most books are cheaper than the print version price and there are plenty of offers and promotions. Also the library of free books is huge and if you spend time digging around you can get some good reads. Although you can use the kindle app on the phone or tablet where the kindle scores is the battery life. The battery lasts 2-3 weeks with an hour or 2 of reading a day. Really helps during the long waits/journeys.

You don't need to buy a charger. It uses the standard micro USB and hence most of today's smartphone chargers will work fine.
I purchases my kindle from amazon US and at that time was able to get a very good flip cover for $10. I think if you look around you can get good ones at cheap rates.

Just to add, you can spend hours reading on a kindle just like you can do on a regular book. In my experience you cannot do that with a reading app on computer or phone as it would cause too much of eye strain.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 15th August 2013 at 14:18.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2013, 10:01   #328
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,342
Thanked: 14,174 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Whole lot of free classic books on Kindle today. Go buy...

http://www.amazon.in/gp/search/ref=p...304031&ie=UTF8

Last edited by Samurai : 17th August 2013 at 10:05.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 01:11   #329
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Andromeda
Posts: 311
Thanked: 59 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

I just bought a kindle today after advice from my doctor on not to use my computer for long hours. I read a lot of technical books and I'm finding my eye sight to have problems. I just started using the kindle paper white and my eyes feel so relaxed. Wondering what it would take to bring this e-ink technology also to the tablets!

@Samurai: Did you find any free books on photography from the link that you have posted above?

Last edited by joe1980 : 5th September 2013 at 01:22.
joe1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2013, 07:12   #330
Senior - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,027
Thanked: 5,322 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe1980 View Post
I just bought a kindle today after advice from my doctor on not to use my computer for long hours. I read a lot of technical books and I'm finding my eye sight to have problems. I just started using the kindle paper white and my eyes feel so relaxed. Wondering what it would take to bring this e-ink technology also to the tablets!

@Samurai: Did you find any free books on photography from the link that you have posted above?
Interesting! I agree reading from kindle is far more easy on the eyes than reading off the tablet or laptop.
Having said that I do wonder what it is that stops the computer and tablet manufacturers from offering this as a 'reader' option on their products...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything? Rtech Shifting gears 191 31st July 2017 22:00
Amazon India is now live @ www.amazon.in Nicky Shifting gears 38 26th June 2013 14:52
Amazon backsourcing to Ireland bigman Shifting gears 4 17th June 2006 18:36
Amazon customer service gone downhill ? bigman Shifting gears 3 25th February 2006 02:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 13:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks