| || ||Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|12th October 2010, 08:54||#31|
|12th October 2010, 10:11||#33|
"I am stranded in an unknown location, and suddenly have read all my books and now I desperately need a new book and in 60 seconds"
|12th October 2010, 11:06||#34|
Join Date: Sep 2004
Thanked: 598 Times
I am planning to bring Kindle WiFi from the US.
Will there be any problem at customs/immigration when i carry it to India ?
|12th October 2010, 11:12||#35|
|12th October 2010, 13:29||#36|
Senior - BHPian
Join Date: Aug 2008
Thanked: 148 Times
@Ampere - How is Kindle's support for PDF files? I'm told one needs to avail the services of Amazon whispernet!!! Didn't actually get that. CAn you plz elaborate? And how much was the shipping cost?
|12th October 2010, 13:34||#37|
I shipped to an address in US and a friend of mine carried it for me.
By the way you can drag your PDF to a certain location in Kindle directly and it will show in the available files list.
This I read on the user guide. But yet to try it.
Last edited by ampere : 12th October 2010 at 13:45.
|12th October 2010, 15:13||#38|
Distinguished - BHPian
Join Date: Jul 2007
Thanked: 3,517 Times
TheSimpleDollar book free:
Twitter / Trent Hamm: My book, The Simple Dollar ...
|12th October 2010, 15:35||#39|
Stop, don't order it, it is not free. I ordered it and I got charged.
phamilyman, I am not on twitter. If you can, let others know that it is not free. Looks like a scam to drum up sales, now we know how he wiped his debt.
Last edited by Samurai : 12th October 2010 at 15:43.
|13th October 2010, 08:13||#43|
So you too ordered the lighted cover. I ordered a green one.
My Kindle has shipped yesterday, it was last reported in Louisville KY. Expected to arrive on 18th. Let's hope there is no delay.
|13th October 2010, 08:42||#44|
Join Date: Jan 2008
Thanked: 64 Times
guys some doubts.
What all formats are supported? Can i read pdf/doc etc?
if not are there any converters to the formats supported?
Are books only available from Amazon.com?
|13th October 2010, 09:39||#45|
A primer on E-Book Readers:
1. Why do you think e-book readers are available only from Amazon, BNM and Apple.... And not from every other person?
Thats because these guys support the library as well.
2. You cannot buy e-books from Amazon and try to read it in an Apple/BNM reader (non-Amazon reader)
That would be ideal, but today not possible. Business models and sense does not allow that.
3. Thats one of the reason Kindle sells the maximum. They have one of biggest E-Book libraries (Apart from the other display arguments).
4. Apple Reader (Ipad) in my opinion is not a good e-book reader, though it can work as one very well. Reason? Its heavier. You cannot hold it for long. Its an LCD display which you cannot see in sunlight and add to it a horrible battery life. Kindle once charged can run for almost a month, while Apple would fall in 8-10 hours. (As I heard)
5. BNM reader Nook also has a LCD colour display and the same problem as IPAD.
(Also at least Kindle and Nook are available at cheaper options; IPAD starts at 500)
6. I am not sure how books cost at Apple at Barnes and Nobles. At Amazon the whole range is available! (No need to explain that)
7. So if one is just looking for E-Book reader alone and not a tablet, Kindle is the de-facto choice.
7. As regards to document support, it has a native PDF reader. But please note that since display is Black and White, colour PDFs may not show up correctly. Only PDF readers and no docs etc. (You need to convert everything to PDF for Kindle to open it).
@Samurai, It is always black leather cover for me!
Just that I cant say the same for cars (High on maintenance)!
Last edited by ampere : 13th October 2010 at 09:41.
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything?||Rtech||Shifting gears||201||28th December 2017 08:02|
|Amazon India is now live @ www.amazon.in||Nicky||Shifting gears||38||26th June 2013 14:52|
|Amazon backsourcing to Ireland||bigman||Shifting gears||4||17th June 2006 18:36|
|Amazon customer service gone downhill ?||bigman||Shifting gears||3||25th February 2006 02:57|