Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2015, 15:52   #481
BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore / Coc
Posts: 752
Thanked: 1,341 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Tablet is for a different need than the kindle. For reading, there is none better than a ereader. Also, you wouldn't need much support for a kindle.
Thanks, let me elaborate. As I stated I am looking for a reading device and hence the Kindle is at the top of my list. However reading http://www.amazon.in/review/R2TZ6UDO...R2TZ6UDOPIYR9G doesnt really provide me with much comfort. God forbid, if something goes wrong, I wouldnt want to be left with a bricked device with no support in India. I was asking for feedback from fellow forum members on challenges with support.

If that is the case then my second option would be a tablet that would give them the digital reading experience (not as much as the kindle) but it gives me peace of mind as a buyer. Yes they wont use most of the features of the tablet but at least I can take it to the SVC if something goes wrong.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 16:07   #482
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 61
Thanked: 75 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Thanks, let me elaborate. As I stated I am looking for a reading device and hence the Kindle is at the top of my list. However reading http://www.amazon.in/review/R2TZ6UDO...R2TZ6UDOPIYR9G doesnt really provide me with much comfort. God forbid, if something goes wrong, I wouldnt want to be left with a bricked device with no support in India. I was asking for feedback from fellow forum members on challenges with support.



If that is the case then my second option would be a tablet that would give them the digital reading experience (not as much as the kindle) but it gives me peace of mind as a buyer. Yes they wont use most of the features of the tablet but at least I can take it to the SVC if something goes wrong.

Hi, we had bought two kindle devices at various points of time few years back but both of them developed issues. While Amazon replaced the device first time, they refused the second time as the device warranty period was over. Since then my wife and I are using the kindle app on our tablets and phones (of Apple) without any problem. The Kindle App for iPad has seen lots of improvements too. It's also inconvenient to carry too many devices esp when you are travelling. Hope this helps.
Krishnan V G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2015, 21:44   #483
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,532
Thanked: 980 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I am looking for a reading device for my folks and if there is no support then I'de rather buy a tablet that they can use instead that will give peace of mind.
If reading device is what you are looking for then Kindle (or any other e-reader like Kobo Glo) trumps the tablet. There is no eye strain as these readers are front lit and not back lit like tablets & phones. This is the major point in favor of the e-Readers. I have a Paperwhite for the last year or so & I can go on reading for hours on end just like you read a paperback book. If you are not happy with the Kindle feedback, you might want to search for reviews of other readers like Kobo Glo. There is a thread here in the same section for e-Ink readers. You might want to check those and make your choice.
abhinav.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 13:25   #484
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
I was looking at buying the all new Amazon Kindle at Rs 5999 but I was put off by user feedback that Amazon doesnt provide any support once the warranty is over. Has anyone faced problems with this?

I am looking for a reading device for my folks and if there is no support then I'de rather buy a tablet that they can use instead that will give peace of mind.
You are talking about free support or parts support?
No seller gives free support once warranty is over.
But some sellers may continue giving parts support (which means you can buy spare parts and repair the existing one).
The case you have highlighted shows that parts support is not available for Kindle in India. Which is true for all other e-ink readers too.

But do keep in mind - the user experience between e-ink and LCD/TFT/LED/IPS/PLS/AMOLED is day and night if you read for hours. It is THAT different.

Last edited by alpha1 : 21st April 2015 at 13:29.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 14:41   #485
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 443
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Thanks, let me elaborate. As I stated I am looking for a reading device and hence the Kindle is at the top of my list. However reading http://www.amazon.in/review/R2TZ6UDO...R2TZ6UDOPIYR9G doesnt really provide me with much comfort. God forbid, if something goes wrong, I wouldnt want to be left with a bricked device with no support in India. I was asking for feedback from fellow forum members on challenges with support.

If that is the case then my second option would be a tablet that would give them the digital reading experience (not as much as the kindle) but it gives me peace of mind as a buyer. Yes they wont use most of the features of the tablet but at least I can take it to the SVC if something goes wrong.
As far as I know, Kindles do not have any service centers in India. I am not sure whether it has any service centers in the US. But I am not convinced of the argument that tablets can be taken to a service center and get repaired. The cost of repairs would also be high and it's not meant to be a reading device. I've had fantastic support from Amazon, so my opinion would be biased, but they not only changed my Kindle after the warranty period but also upgraded it and got it shipped it to India without any additional charge to me. It was a fantastic experience for me and I became an Amazon convert after that. I then bought my second Kindle too from them (Paperwhite) and the experience has been quite good. They are not devices which break down easily. I've dropped them (although with cover) and they've survived at least 2 falls each. I use it daily and carry it with me in the dreaded Mumbai local trains.

If I were you, I would not have thought about anything other than Kindle if I was looking for a reading device. Even if it damages after a year (which is highly unlikely), you're still only spending 500 rs per month for reading comfort which is not exorbitant.
kalpeshc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th April 2015, 23:07   #486
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,347
Thanked: 14,177 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

I finally retired my 2010 keyboard Kindle and moved to Kindle Voyage. It is much smaller than the old Kindle, and can go into my jeans pocket.

Amazon Kindle-p4200800.jpg

Amazon Kindle-p4200801.jpg

Amazon Kindle-p4200802.jpg
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th April 2015, 18:26   #487
BHPian
 
neil.jericho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore / Coc
Posts: 752
Thanked: 1,341 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Thanks for your feedback everyone, after doing a bit more research I decided to take the plunge and ordered the 6" wifi reader. I'm keeping my fingers crossed on any post warranty headaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishnan V G View Post
Hi, we had bought two kindle devices at various points of time few years back but both of them developed issues.
Thanks Krishnan V, I was looking for such real world feedback from fellow forum members.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
If reading device is what you are looking for then Kindle (or any other e-reader like Kobo Glo) trumps the tablet. There is no eye strain as these readers are front lit and not back lit like tablets & phones.
You are right Abhinav.S, the reading experience on dedicated ebook readers is better than a tablet. I have read a fair bit on my tablet over the last couple of years especially while travelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
You are talking about free support or parts support?
No seller gives free support once warranty is over.
But some sellers may continue giving parts support (which means you can buy spare parts and repair the existing one).
The case you have highlighted shows that parts support is not available for Kindle in India. Which is true for all other e-ink readers too.
I'm not sure how free post warranty support came into the picture, alpha1. I was asking about post warranty paid walk in support like what we get for other devices like mobiles phones, tablets etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalpeshc View Post
As far as I know, Kindles do not have any service centers in India. I am not sure whether it has any service centers in the US. But I am not convinced of the argument that tablets can be taken to a service center and get repaired. The cost of repairs would also be high and it's not meant to be a reading device. I've had fantastic support from Amazon, so my opinion would be biased, but they not only changed my Kindle after the warranty period but also upgraded it and got it shipped it to India without any additional charge to me.

Even if it damages after a year (which is highly unlikely), you're still only spending 500 rs per month for reading comfort which is not exorbitant.
Thanks kalpeshc, good to hear that Amazon upgraded your Kindle after you had issues with it post warranty. Tablets like a mobile phone, can definitely be taken to a service centre and repaired for a cost. 500 rupees a month is not a huge amount but it is hard earned money after all.
neil.jericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2015, 14:36   #488
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,881
Thanked: 3,193 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

The better half just got me a Paperwhite as a surprise gift. Haven't had time to do much, just registered it on my Amazon account and downloaded a couple of classics from the free collection.

Samurai's link to Project Gutenberg is worth exploring too. The Amazon leather cover is nice but a bit expensive for what it is.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have a positive experience since we're fast running out of storage and rack space for our paper books.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th May 2015, 16:28   #489
BHPian
 
TheTeacher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Space-Time
Posts: 480
Thanked: 318 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I finally retired my 2010 keyboard Kindle and moved to Kindle Voyage.
How's the Voyage in use, Samurai? Feedback / review please? TIA!
TheTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 09:47   #490
BHPian
 
poised2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 260
Thanked: 261 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Folks !
I am thinking to get a Kindle-paperwhite [ from the US through a cousin]

There are couple of doubts lingering in my mind !
1. Should I ask my cousin to order the cover along with the device or is it economical to buy the cover in India ?
2. I have numerous e-books with me . Can I transfer them to kindle and read ?
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 10:41   #491
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 35
Thanked: 9 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Folks !
I am thinking to get a Kindle-paperwhite [ from the US through a cousin]

There are couple of doubts lingering in my mind !
1. Should I ask my cousin to order the cover along with the device or is it economical to buy the cover in India ?
2. I have numerous e-books with me . Can I transfer them to kindle and read ?
You will get cheap covers on ebay. I bought one for 600 Rs. The original Amazon one costs 2600 Rs.

You can transfer books via a USB cable or by mailing it to a special address generated when you register the device. This works for PDF/mobi/azw files. Epub files you will need a converter. I use calibre for that purpose.

Also, do checkout Bookdrop. This is very good if you are too lazy to connect a cable to your Kindle.
adentist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 13:59   #492
BHPian
 
poised2drive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 260
Thanked: 261 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adentist View Post
You will get cheap covers on ebay. I bought one for 600 Rs. The original Amazon one costs 2600 Rs.

You can transfer books via a USB cable or by mailing it to a special address generated when you register the device. This works for PDF/mobi/azw files. Epub files you will need a converter. I use calibre for that purpose.

Also, do checkout Bookdrop. This is very good if you are too lazy to connect a cable to your Kindle.
Thank you.
I shall buy the cover here then.
And will the usb be provided along with the device ? If that's the case, It is easy to transfer the books from my laptop.
poised2drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th May 2015, 15:57   #493
Senior - BHPian
 
alpha1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: P00NA
Posts: 1,622
Thanked: 957 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
Thank you.
I shall buy the cover here then.
And will the usb be provided along with the device ? If that's the case, It is easy to transfer the books from my laptop.
Yes, USB cable will be provided.
In any case even if you damage or lose cable, you won't have to fret like iPhone users. The cable used in Kindle is microUSB to USB.
Very easily available anywhere. Kindle shows up as a USB storage device. Simply drag and drop!
And do not underestimate the send via email way to send (and convert) ebooks to Kindle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adentist View Post
You can transfer books via a USB cable or by mailing it to a special address generated when you register the device. This works for PDF/mobi/azw files. Epub files you will need a converter. I use calibre for that purpose.
I would add - the send via email process is given here:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/sendtokindle/email
Where you can email any document of the format:
Microsoft Word (.DOC, .DOCX)
HTML (.HTML, .HTM)
RTF (.RTF)
JPEG (.JPEG, .JPG)
Kindle Format (.MOBI, .AZW)
GIF (.GIF)
PNG (.PNG)
BMP (.BMP)
PDF (.PDF)

The kindle convert services convert the email attachment to appropriate kindle usable format (I think it is mobi format).
Send the email, and lo! the ebook is present on your Kindle device!

Quote:
Originally Posted by poised2drive View Post
2. I have numerous e-books with me . Can I transfer them to kindle and read ?
Kindle supports displaying the following formats:
AZW (ebook), AZW3 (ebook), TXT (plain text), PDF, MOBI (ebook), and PRC (ebook) files natively.

EPUB format can be easily converted to mobi or azw3 (also known as kf8) - which can be read on Kindle.
(There are several online websites, and there are several downloadable tools, I recently batch converted some 200 epub books to mobi in 5 minutes using calibre program)

Last edited by alpha1 : 19th May 2015 at 16:02.
alpha1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:01   #494
Oxy
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 184
Thanked: 175 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

The All New Paperwhite is set to be released on June 30. Features a new font called Bookerly and a 300 ppi resolution (same as the voyage).

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00QJDOEAO/ref=ods_mfs_kms

And now, as expected, the old Paperwhite is going for Rs.8999 at Amazon.
Oxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd June 2015, 10:51   #495
BHPian
 
Hunter3077's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Vishakhapatnam
Posts: 53
Thanked: 69 Times
Default Re: Amazon Kindle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
The All New Paperwhite is set to be released on June 30. Features a new font called Bookerly and a 300 ppi resolution (same as the voyage).

http://www.amazon.in/gp/aw/d/B00QJDOEAO/ref=ods_mfs_kms

And now, as expected, the old Paperwhite is going for Rs.8999 at Amazon.
Hi Oxy.

In what aspects is the new kindle paperwhite different from the older version barring for the 300 ppi resolution and new font that you have mentioned?

It's been a couple of years that I got my kindle paperwhite from the US and it still works like charm. The long battery backup and the ease of purchasing directly from the Amazon store, loading from laptop and easy readability are just unparalleled. Probably one of my best buys ever.
Hunter3077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amazon.com - Anyone ordered anything? Rtech Shifting gears 191 31st July 2017 22:00
Amazon India is now live @ www.amazon.in Nicky Shifting gears 38 26th June 2013 14:52
Amazon backsourcing to Ireland bigman Shifting gears 4 17th June 2006 18:36
Amazon customer service gone downhill ? bigman Shifting gears 3 25th February 2006 02:57


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks