Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Closed Thread

Old 6th June 2011, 12:00   #196
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: iPad-ed !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
How does one download movies.
Easiest way is to add via iTunes from PC/MAC. Note that files are associated with applications. There is no general file browser by default.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
Well, VLC is no longer available in app store
I have used yxplayer (they have free version with ads) to play divx & mkv HD movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I got my office iPad2 yesterday. I used it for 5 minutes and got bored.
iPad from factory comes without even base essentials (like calculator). There is browser, YouTube app & maps. It comes to life when you
1) Configure email
2) Show your credit card (by signing up for app store)

Last edited by msdivy : 6th June 2011 at 12:01.
Old 6th June 2011, 12:43   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruchirtnt
I have explored the price of Ipad 2 in bangkok and it is pretty less as compared to in india, i am planning for a ipad 2 16GB 3G model which is costing 36900 in india and the same is costing around 29000 there, i am travelling next month to BKK so will look to buy it from there, i think it will cover the international warranty and can i get any experience of a team bhpian buying a gadget from bangkok.
Well, not my experience directly but my BIL's.
He couldn't find the white 32GB+3G in any store.
This was a couple of weeks ago and am not sure if he current status.

Since you are traveling in 2 weeks, you might want to try the online store. This way you are guaranteed of the genuineness. Call them to check if thy will accept an Indian credit card and deliver to your hotel-assuming you are staying in one.

Not sure if Thailand has a tax refund for tourists and how that will work out.
Old 6th June 2011, 16:42   #198
BHPian

Has anyone got a pointed stylus for iPad in India? I got the one that has a bubble kind of a pointer which is pretty useless for drawings/paintings. Has anyone seen/bought something like this in India?
Old 6th June 2011, 17:19   #199
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Has anyone got a pointed stylus for iPad in India? I got the one that has a bubble kind of a pointer which is pretty useless for drawings/paintings. Has anyone seen/bought something like this in India?
Do you really need a stylus in the first place? Is it to avoid finger prints on the screen?
Old 6th June 2011, 17:31   #200
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yaa I use one that has a flat plastic tip with small metal contact. Pretty good for drawing and taking notes via Handwriting.
Old 7th June 2011, 10:09   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
Do you really need a stylus in the first place? Is it to avoid finger prints on the screen?
I was thinking the same, but I am no good in drawings/painting, my wife is and she complained that with figures, drawing fine lines is tedious (even if you zoom in and try it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Yaa I use one that has a flat plastic tip with small metal contact. Pretty good for drawing and taking notes via Handwriting.
Where did you get this from? Can you provide some specs/Id of that stylus so that I can enquire in Pune?
Old 7th June 2011, 11:20   #202
Senior - BHPian

I have a "Dagi" and Griffin stylus. Like Griffin better for sketching.

Dagi is a Chinese no-name brand, available on Ebay for 200 - 400 Rs. Picked up Griffin for $18 on BestBuy.

In local shops, Dagi is sold as fake HTC stylus:

Touch Capacitive stylus Pen for Apple iPad 2 2G all ver | eBay
Old 7th June 2011, 19:15   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
I have a "Dagi" and Griffin stylus. Like Griffin better for sketching.

Dagi is a Chinese no-name brand, available on Ebay for 200 - 400 Rs. Picked up Griffin for $18 on BestBuy.

In local shops, Dagi is sold as fake HTC stylus:

Touch Capacitive stylus Pen for Apple iPad 2 2G all ver | eBay
Thanks a lot! This helps!!
Old 9th June 2011, 03:12   #204
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot! This helps!!
I use a Rocketfish stylus on mine (Also from BB). I wish the rubber nub was a bit thinner. And with a Zagg screen guard, the 'pen' tends to drag a bit. Just a FYI.

Can we have a list of Apps people find useful? I've started with the usual suspects - Flipboard, Zinio, Soundhound, dropbox, VLC Streamer etc. I'll probably end up buying good reader in a short while too.

One killer app would have been Pandora, but unfortunately does not work in India due to licensing agreements. Is there an alternative to an internet radio which recommends music based on your listening preferences like Pandora does?
Old 10th June 2011, 09:43   #205
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Btw, I just downloaded VLC a couple of days ago. It's available as a free version as well as a paid one. Not sure what the feature difference between the two was.

Cheers.
Old 11th June 2011, 07:46   #206
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys,

Dumb question:
Was trying to source an iPad from USA - can anyone clarify whether it needs to be unlocked by AT&T USA before it can be used here?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
Old 13th June 2011, 16:16   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman
Guys,

Dumb question:
Was trying to source an iPad from USA - can anyone clarify whether it needs to be unlocked by AT&T USA before it can be used here?
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0
It is not locked. I got one about 3 weeks ago and simply slipped in a microsim and it works right out of the box. I am on Airtel 3G.
Old 13th June 2011, 17:14   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcash View Post
It is not locked. I got one about 3 weeks ago and simply slipped in a microsim and it works right out of the box. I am on Airtel 3G.
Well.. thats a great news!
I was thinking to use a microsim I have to jailbreak it here in India, so I opted for a router at home. Now I feel I should go for the microsim so that I can carry it everywhere.

Its also good that it works with other microsims than BSNL with whom Apple has a tieup in India.
Old 13th June 2011, 18:28   #209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian
Its also good that it works with other microsims than BSNL with whom Apple has a tieup in India.
pray tell ,ore about this tie-up. Plans, etc. I couldnt find the details on bsnl website. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
Old 13th June 2011, 21:57   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtandon View Post
pray tell ,ore about this tie-up. Plans, etc. I couldnt find the details on bsnl website. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.
Try this link, hopefully it opens properly:
BSNL - iPad
Closed Thread