Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2012, 10:52   #436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by animdas

DrRom,
I do not have any direct help for you.
All I can say that check in macforums.com or the forum in apple website. Or, provide some close/dependable friend/relative's card details if you are sure NEVER to buy anything from app store.
Dr Rom,

Each account when created provides you an option to use it on 5 PC/Device, check it out with any of your friends if they can share it for you.

Not a big issue, but what ever you/others download would be visible to everyone using the account.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:20   #437
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Default Re: iPad-ed !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRom View Post
I am an old geezer and don't have any credit card.
Please help me to solve this problem as I would love to download e-books and a few apps for free. Thanks.
smiles to all.
Hi Doc,
You can add DEBIT CARD details also, as long as they are MASTERCARD or VISA endorsed.
If you download only free apps then Itunes will NOT charge you anything, & there are aplenty of free apps to keep you busy.
First thing that you may need to do is UPDATE your firmware, which itunes will tell you by itself. Do so as some latest apps only work with latest updates. But this can take anything between 1-2 hours, depending on your internet speed.

Raab rakha.
Old 2nd May 2012, 16:41   #438

Default Re: iPad-ed !!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariesonu View Post
Hi Doc,
You can add DEBIT CARD details also, as long as they are MASTERCARD or VISA endorsed.
Sorry, I did try both the Visa and the Mastercard Debit Cards but no joy. Can you please explain "MASTERCARD or VISA endorsed".

Thanks and smiles to all
Old 2nd May 2012, 17:01   #439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRom
Sorry, I did try both the Visa and the Mastercard Debit Cards but no joy. Can you please explain "MASTERCARD or VISA endorsed".
Thanks and smiles to all
Try my method, it works without the CC. Cheers!
Old 3rd May 2012, 22:48   #440
BHPian

Default India - "What is customer Service ?"

I recently ordered an iPad 3 in Croma store in anna salai,chennai. I was assured that they have it at their warehouse and would have it ready next day in store. I called up next day and they said they would deliver day after that. I called a day after and they said they would deliver it by 9 PM. I got a bit suspicious and called up by 6 PM and they said, they have run out of stock and will get stock in another 2 days. I was so irritated, as I had planned to gift it to my brother for his birthday and its past 2 days. i decided I have to pull out of this and asked him for cancellation and a refund of order.
He persuaded me that he will deliver. I made up my mind to cancel. He said he can issue a cheque after 3 days only. I had paid through credit card and now he says I can collect my cheque after 3 days as that's his company's policy :( . Still with patience I obliged and told him that he has to issue cheque on my name(Since I had billing name of my brother's, as I had planned to gift him).
He calls up 2 days later and says that cheque can be issued only on my brothers name since the bill has his name only. I was losing my patience What sort of logic is this ? They take money from me and won't refund me and refund the person whom I gift ?
Alternatively he said, I can give a letter in writing and provide a id proof after which I can get the cheque in my name. The shop is 13 kms from my home.

There are only 2 options
1) Chicken out and be smart to get the cheque(Rs.30500) on my name by providing the documents.
2) Fight back tooth and nail holding on my stand, that I am not the one who made any mistake and cannot be penalized for their process lapses.

Alternatively, I plan to file a dispute too in the credit card. I am not sure how it works though in this case.
I am confused at this point. Any suggestions would be helpful

Last edited by Eddy : 4th May 2012 at 09:38. Reason: Extra smiley
Old 4th May 2012, 05:41   #441
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: India - "What is customer Service ?"

Call your card issuer and ask them if the settlement can be declined, as the product that was promised to be delivered has not been delivered. This would work out easier than going 13 Kms two/three times for a cheque.

They might ask you for some documentation, and filling some forms, i did this long time back with SCB and they obliged. Usually after the card is authorized it takes up-to 1-2 weeks for the companies to settle the payment (Only in Credit Cards). Within this period the actual payment can be stopped with some restrictions and if there is a dispute or non delivery of the bought product.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 4th May 2012 at 06:02.
Old 4th May 2012, 06:50   #442
Distinguished - BHPian

Just take the cheque. Unles you have zero value of your time, why open loops just like that? These morons will never learn.
Old 4th May 2012, 09:50   #443
Distinguished - BHPian

I am afraid our corporates are still to learn. What you got is typical bureaucratese. Tatas are known for this. Quite often the fellow will make life difficult hoping to dissuade you. I will say getting the credit card payment may be the best way. This is one reason many vendors in the west do not charge your plastic till they ship. They will take an authorisation, but not process the payment.

I had a problem with one other chain, again owned by an Indian Major (Home Appliance Thread). Now I will not use them for purchase unless I have to, but WILL use then for product selection - will cost them money! Earlier, they also claimed that a cheque payment will take a week to process, but when I read the riot act they were willing to deliver the next day.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:08   #444
Team-BHP Support

Why are you even bothering with all this cheque thingy. Just put a dispute claim on your credit card. Say you bought products which were never delivered, so you are cancelling the order.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:10   #445
BHPian

I would say the best option would be to produce ID proof and collect the cheque in your name.

Lets be fair to the store, I feel they are correct in demanding ID proof since the refund cheque has to be in a different name than the name mentioned on the bill.

But I strongly condemn the bad service provided and repeated false promises made to the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now I will not use them for purchase unless I have to, but WILL use then for product selection - will cost them money!
I also do the same. I visit the big three stores only for the purpose of product comparison / demo. I would never purchase anything from these idiots.

I always try to purchase from the company store as far as possible, even if it means spending a few hundreds extra.

Rohan
Old 4th May 2012, 10:22   #446
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Lets be fair to the store, I feel they are correct in demanding ID proof since the refund cheque has to be in a different name than the name mentioned on the bill.
What fairness are you talking of. If there was a credit card payment there has to be a CC reversal not a cheque paide to you.

snorting bull - Please ask for a written return policy from them and go to Croma website online and register a complaint.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:25   #447
BHPian

Thanks for all your comments. I am still exploring options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

Rohan
I think it doesnt matter who you gift it to and what the bill name is. Its actually who you charge. I think there is possibly a process gap on their side. I am the person who paid and they should repay back to me. Isn't it a fair expectation ? I think its the same way in other countries too.
Old 4th May 2012, 10:50   #448
BHPian

I would suggest that you take Option 1. You won't be chickening out or anything like that. Some companies have very specific refund policies, there's no point in fighting it.

Have they treated you right? Definitely no! But don't waste your time trying to teach them a lesson. They'll forget it as soon as you walk out the door.

It's your brother's birthday. Sort this out quickly and get your brother the gift that he deserves from some other store. By the way, do pass on our best wishes to the birthday boy!
Old 4th May 2012, 11:23   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
What fairness are you talking of. If there was a credit card payment there has to be a CC reversal not a cheque paide to you.
If the store is making CC reversal, then everything is OK. No need for any ID proof. But the OP has not mentioned this as an option.

If the OP is demanding refund cheque in his name, which is different from the name on the store bill, then IMHO they are not wrong in demanding ID proof.

The store manager needs to have some proof to show to the account auditors if a refund has been made in a different name as compared to that mentioed on the store bill.

Just like any big organisation, these big stores also have certain rules and procedures. They do not operate like a family business in which rules can be ignored for individual customer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorting bull View Post
I think it doesnt matter who you gift it to and what the bill name is. Its actually who you charge. I think there is possibly a process gap on their side. I am the person who paid and they should repay back to me. Isn't it a fair expectation ? I think its the same way in other countries too.
IIUC, they are not refusing a refund. Ideally the refund should be made in the same mode as the mode of payment. Since you have made the payment through CC, they should make the repayment through CC. Have you explored this option ?

Secondly, have you explored the option of asking the CC company to deny payment to the merchant since they have not been able to deliver the product ?

Finally, if they are agreeing for refund through cheque even in the case when the refund cheque is in a different name as compared to the name mentioned on the bill, IMHO the wise thing would be to accept it by showing your ID proof.

I am not trying to defend the store, but please try to put yourself in their shoes for a minute. They are bound by certain policies, which they cannot overlook.

Lets assume for a moment that they give you a refund cheque without any verification. At a later time when the accounts are being audited, the store manager would not be in a position to justify this transaction unless he collects your ID proof. The guy could even loose his job if the auditor smells something fishy in this transaction.

I understand your pain. All I am saying is that such things happen in life. It is best to get out of such situations with as little struggle as possible. It is not worth fighting for such issues.

Bottomline - Our country does not have strongs laws for consumer protection, hence these stores take us for a ride.

Rohan
Old 5th May 2012, 11:25   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Why are you even bothering with all this cheque thingy. Just put a dispute claim on your credit card. Say you bought products which were never delivered, so you are cancelling the order.
Don't think that will work for him. He would have signed the CC chargeslip which the CC company will use as reference to come out clean in case of a dispute claim. He would have to sort it out with the merchant.
Closed Thread