Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2013, 12:26   #15271
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 735
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
^ Akshay from where did you get the update done?? I am also having the same model.
Use this if you are rooted or take the phone to MMX service center next week. They will flash it free of charge.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 12:37   #15272
BHPian
 
inder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: nagpur
Posts: 284
Thanked: 33 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^How long does it take? I mean do I have to keep the phone ??
inder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 12:43   #15273
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_pulsar View Post
Thanks guys!!


I need dual sim.

Only thing against Xperia is it has 512mb ram. I like the Xperia's design over Samsung. But, isn't 512mb too low for android? Of course, my mom will not be a power user like me. Gmail, whatsapp, facebook would be her reasons to switch to a smartphone.

And there are no plans to root etc .
Depends on your needs, but if its for your mom, and for the apps above, 512 MB should be just ok. However, try not to use the FB app... rather uproot it from your phone asap. Its a benchmark of how bad an app can be. Of late, even Whatsapp has become sluggish, esp. on lower end phones.

I'v seen Samsungs with more RAM being more sluggish. Like someone said, it may be due to the Touchwiz.

Last edited by Raccoon : 4th June 2013 at 12:48.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 14:02   #15274
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 735
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by inder View Post
^How long does it take? I mean do I have to keep the phone ??
No idea. I did it myself. PM me for any further details
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 14:32   #15275
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quick question, recently Samsung released their Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S Advance and I gleefully updated my phone. But the problem is the phone has become super lagging. Just imagine from the home screen it takes around 5-6 secs for the contacts app to come up. My question was if I give it to the service center to completely format the phone and then install Jelly Bean will that solve the lagging problem? The specs of the phone look ok, with 1 GHz dual core processor, 786 MB RAM. Just wanted to confirm before giving it to them as they might charge.

Last edited by motomaverick : 4th June 2013 at 14:33.
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 14:46   #15276
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 1,349 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

This is probably the first time SAMSUNG is the slowest to release the 4.2.2 update to its devices, than other companies.

Micromax released it for the Canvas HD and HTC update will come next week. Wake up Samsung, the world leader.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 15:00   #15277
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 40 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Sygic & MapmyIndia GPS Navigation For only Rs. 199 at Google Play Store.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...sygic.aura_mmi
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 19:36   #15278
BHPian
 
HappyRoadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 449
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Quick question, recently Samsung released their Jelly Bean update for Galaxy S Advance and I gleefully updated my phone. But the problem is the phone has become super lagging. Just imagine from the home screen it takes around 5-6 secs for the contacts app to come up. My question was if I give it to the service center to completely format the phone and then install Jelly Bean will that solve the lagging problem? The specs of the phone look ok, with 1 GHz dual core processor, 786 MB RAM. Just wanted to confirm before giving it to them as they might charge.

Even I updated my S advance to jellybean. I formated the phone via recovery and the lag is present. I think it is a software issue. Lets see if Samsung rectifies it Search xda it is full of such complaints.
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 21:52   #15279
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 735
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
This is probably the first time SAMSUNG is the slowest to release the 4.2.2 update to its devices, than other companies.

Micromax released it for the Canvas HD and HTC update will come next week. Wake up Samsung, the world leader.
Micromax released 4.2.1 and not 4.2.2

Last edited by akshay380 : 4th June 2013 at 22:02.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 21:56   #15280
Senior - BHPian
 
motomaverick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,838
Thanked: 864 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Even I updated my S advance to jellybean. I formated the phone via recovery and the lag is present. I think it is a software issue. Lets see if Samsung rectifies it Search xda it is full of such complaints.
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Micromax released 4.2.1 and 4.2.2
Jelly Bean is good but since you say the lag is still there even after formatting the drive, I am not sure how Samsung can rectify it.

If I go for Canvas HD will that be a good upgrade?
motomaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th June 2013, 22:03   #15281
BHPian
 
akshay380's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Goa
Posts: 735
Thanked: 560 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomaverick View Post
Jelly Bean is good but since you say the lag is still there even after formatting the drive, I am not sure how Samsung can rectify it.

If I go for Canvas HD will that be a good upgrade?
Sorry I had meant NOT 4.2.2

To answer your question, I think yes. The 4.2.1 update made available yday comes with OTA so future updates very much possible.
akshay380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 09:15   #15282
Senior - BHPian
 
ajay_satpute's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,805
Thanked: 1,349 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay380 View Post
Micromax released 4.2.1 and not 4.2.2
I never said Micromax got 4.2.1. I was saying that even Micromax released the next major version (4.2.x) and Samsung is sleeping tight.
ajay_satpute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 11:35   #15283
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,163
Thanked: 3,759 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I just read somewhere that the Nexus 4 is 'pure' Android, no additional apps / bloatware. What does it mean to he average Joe, what are the common apps/popular things missing?
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 11:47   #15284
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,229
Thanked: 416 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I just read somewhere that the Nexus 4 is 'pure' Android, no additional apps / bloatware. What does it mean to he average Joe, what are the common apps/popular things missing?
That's what the play store is for. The idea is to pay for whatever apps you want and for that only. Why pay the OEM a humongous amount just for those popular things ( eg nexus 4 is just $349! Compare it to 500+ for GS 3 or HOX )

Side advantage is you are first in the queue to get os updates from el goog.
joslicx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th June 2013, 11:52   #15285
BHPian
 
Top-Gear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 203
Thanked: 112 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I just read somewhere that the Nexus 4 is 'pure' Android, no additional apps / bloatware. What does it mean to he average Joe, what are the common apps/popular things missing?
Sir, it means there are no gimmicky skins or features added on by the phone manufacturers to lure customers and distinguish their devices. Believe me, it's not something most people would "miss". I don't quite like Samsung touchwiz on my wife's phone. HTC Sense seems a little better. For me, pure Android is best.
Top-Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:18.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks