Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2013, 22:47   #15601
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Mumbai/Pune
Posts: 16
Thanked: Once
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I own a Motorola Defy Plus and am thinking of upgrading to the Motorola Droid Razr M. Any idea if I could get this in any shop in Mumbai?
b_naresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 00:05   #15602
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
So there still are other Atrix 2 users..! I thought I was alone.

Like you and ampere have mentioned, I have found no reason to change. My phones running the official JB 4.1.2 leak and I have had no problems at all. My battery on full time 3G lasts about 13 hours.

If you've not yet put JB, do so right away. It makes the phone a lot faster.
Yes, plus the usable memory is close to 6gb. I added a 16gb class 10 card to it. I really like the screen too. Excellent viewing angles.
kaka46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 11:27   #15603
BHPian
 
skumare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 84
Thanked: 25 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
I am checking this (XOLO Q800) out and impressed, Karbonn S1 Titanium also is a contender, along with Gionee Dream D1. Let us see who will get my money, will check them out over the weekend.
Finally, I bought a Q800 a few days ago, felt it is too big. I am not a big fan of 4"+ screens. Luckily, I got a unit manufactured in Apr/2013 with the better chipset (MT6589) and I have put it up for sale.

Hopefully, I will be able to sell it off and may be get a Desire X(DS). The other model I am looking at is Moto RAZR D3 XT919, it is not available even in USA also. What's the story on this model?

Last edited by skumare : 29th June 2013 at 11:33. Reason: spelling
skumare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 14:51   #15604
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
I own a Motorola Defy Plus and am thinking of upgrading to the Motorola Droid Razr M. Any idea if I could get this in any shop in Mumbai?
I thought Motorola was dead in India now, at least as far as sales is concerned?

I have a Defy Plus too: I "upgraded" it to a Defy Plus with Cyanogenmod

I was very shy to do this, but with the encouragement and help of others in thread, I found that, as long as someone recommends a link with simple, straightforward instructions, the process is ...simple and straightforward!

Of course, if you want a bigger screen or other hardware improvements, that's a different thing. Otherwise, rom flashing gives us the opportunity to have a new phone in our hand, at zero cost
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 15:07   #15605
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_naresh View Post
I own a Motorola Defy Plus and am thinking of upgrading to the Motorola Droid Razr M. Any idea if I could get this in any shop in Mumbai?
I would say wait on Moto till we hear what they are coming up with. If the need is immediate look at some other brands.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 15:16   #15606
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,102
Thanked: 811 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

I would say wait on Moto till we hear what they are coming up with. If the need is immediate look at some other brands.
Yes, the X phone from Moto is touted to be very interesting. It will be the first product that comes out after Moto being branded a Google company.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 16:23   #15607
BHPian
 
deathwalkr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Trivandrum
Posts: 612
Thanked: 413 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

So my htc one started acting funny...booting up came up with an error message com.htc.bg not working or something

Load up hangout and pop comes the error message saying google play services have crashed...

aargh
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 17:58   #15608
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
Yes, the X phone from Moto is touted to be very interesting. It will be the first product that comes out after Moto being branded a Google company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
So there still are other Atrix 2 users..! I thought I was alone.
What I read is that along with Android 5 (Key Lime Pie), Google may also announce the next Moto Phone (Many also call it X-Phone) in the coming months. I really like the Moto Build quality. Did not find a good enough reason to change. May be another year! Razr Max X was actually very good with a HUGE battery (3300 mah)

Last edited by ampere : 29th June 2013 at 18:00.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 18:06   #15609
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,093
Thanked: 554 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post

What I read is that along with Android 5 (Key Lime Pie), Google may also announce the next Moto Phone (Many also call it X-Phone) in the coming months....
I've been waiting for the X Phone actually, but all news points to a mid range handset. I really hope Google retails Motorola phones in India. With Google setting up android nation stores they could retail them there.

Here is the new Motorola logo
Attached Images
 
fiat_tarun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 21:55   #15610
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
- No clue about the battery life as I have only used a demo piece.
Got a Black Sony Xperia ZR today, supposedly the worlds first waterproof phone, and here are my observations.

1) Out of the box Antutu Score of 20800.
2) This phone is amazingly fast. Sony hasn't bloated their ROM like Samsung does (No S Features ). Hence the device out of the box itself is very quick. Even the stock launcher, dialer etc are very usable. Menu / setting etc are stock android.
3) Design is sober and understated - almost boring
4) Built quality seems better than Samsung. Most solid/Sturdy.
5) Screen is not an amoled so I missing the true blacks of the S2.
6) Near perfect size. One gets a great grip on the device - Much better than S2,S3,S4.

If there are any other queries, please feel free to ask

(p.s. I am upgrading from an S2, and my Dad is using a S4)
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 22:19   #15611
BHPian
 
AbelAFC's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: KA-03
Posts: 262
Thanked: 135 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post

Got a Black Sony Xperia ZR today, supposedly the worlds first waterproof phone, and here are my observations.

1) Out of the box Antutu Score of 20800.
2) This phone is amazingly fast. Sony hasn't bloated their ROM like Samsung does (No S Features ). Hence the device out of the box itself is very quick. Even the stock launcher, dialer etc are very usable. Menu / setting etc are stock android.
3) Design is sober and understated - almost boring
4) Built quality seems better than Samsung. Most solid/Sturdy.
5) Screen is not an amoled so I missing the true blacks of the S2.
6) Near perfect size. One gets a great grip on the device - Much better than S2,S3,S4.

If there are any other queries, please feel free to ask

(p.s. I am upgrading from an S2, and my Dad is using a S4)
How much did you pay for it?
AbelAFC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 22:42   #15612
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
If there are any other queries, please feel free to ask
- How is the call quality
- Battery life with 3G
- Were you able to try NFC?
- Seems like a really good one from the Sony stable at the price point
- Congrats for the same.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 22:56   #15613
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 93
Thanked: 8 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hey guys, any one using Sony Xperia Z? How is the phone? I was looking for a new smartphone and had shortlisted Sony xperia Z and Samsung Galaxy S4. Comparing both these phone, although SG4 (with Octa Core processor, some new features) comes on top, I am leaning towards Sony Xperia Z.
Main reason for this although SG4 has host of new features, a very few of those would really be used in day to day life. Thus I am leaning towards Z which is 3-4K cheaper than SG4.

Thus wanted to check if any experience for Sony Xperia Z from group members.

Last edited by F1amit : 29th June 2013 at 22:58.
F1amit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 23:05   #15614
Senior - BHPian
 
agambhandari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Delhi,Ludhiana
Posts: 1,102
Thanked: 811 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1amit View Post
Hey guys, any one using Sony Xperia Z? How is the phone? I was looking for a new smartphone and had shortlisted Sony xperia Z and Samsung Galaxy S4. Comparing both these phone, although SG4 (with Octa Core processor, some new features) comes on top, I am leaning towards Sony Xperia Z.
Main reason for this although SG4 has host of new features, a very few of those would really be used in day to day life. Thus I am leaning towards Z which is 3-4K cheaper than SG4.

Thus wanted to check if any experience for Sony Xperia Z from group members.
I am not a user of either of these. But I would suggest S4 out of the two cuz of a much better screen and a better silicon underneath it.
agambhandari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th June 2013, 23:10   #15615
HKS
BHPian
 
HKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Yeh, I am using the D1 since couple of months now. I am pretty much happy with the phone. My main criterion was to have a good display which the D1 addresses with its awesome 720P HD Super AMOLED screen. The phone is quite fast and now has got good developer support as well.

The only issue that I am facing is that the GPS takes time in between 1 -3 mins for satellite lock. I guess all the MTK devices suffer this GPS issue. This is without having the 2G/3G data connection. With the connection I get lock in around a min and at times in 50 secs.

The Nokia 5800 that I had used to lock on GPS in around 20-30 secs. I am not sure if the chipset used in phone is of inferior quality.
I was confused between Gionee Dream D1 and WickedLeak Wammy Passion Z, finally made up my mind. This comparo has helped.

http://www.***************/reviews/ph...on/2013/06/29/
HKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:33.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks