Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:04   #15661
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Just curious, why is your Android System usage so high? Or is that the usual case with all Xperias? Also, I believe the screen time is on the lower side. Are you running stock JB?
In fact mine is even higher... runs into 30s. Any specific reasons out here?
But in my case Tasker keeps running all the time.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 15:12   #15662
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,043
Thanked: 438 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact mine is even higher... runs into 30s. Any specific reasons out here?
But in my case Tasker keeps running all the time.
A quick Google search will tell you that if it runs any higher than 10%, it is eating away your battery more than it should!

There are few pointers on Google (surprisingly nothing much on XDA-Dev) on how to go about fixing it, but you can generally start with clearing the cache and dalvik.

If you go the Root way, I've read AOSP roms are super efficient in managing the Android system usage and keep it as low as 2% in some cases.

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 3rd July 2013 at 15:15.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:06   #15663
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Sorry for quoting all three posts below but before you start these kind of comparisons lets be clear on what these graphs show.

It just shows the proportion of approximate battery consumption so if there is nothing much running on a phone you will always notice Screen to be largest consumer followed by Android system followed by other things like cell standby and device idle. However if you are using some application it will consume some power and proportion will change.

Probably guys at XDA dev understands this and thats why they do not claim to provide any tweaks for the same.

In absolute terms it is fully possible that system consumes more on Sony / Samsung device then AOSP because manufacturers bundle many more processes as system service then AOSP but here we are seeing proportions.

Example :

I have not used my Note 2 for anything since yesterday so right now Screen 66% Android System 21% , Cell standby 6% and device idle is 6%
But whenever I watch video , use email sync or do anything else the system usage falls to less then 10% because the proportion of usage by system falls
as the absolute value is nearly same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Just curious, why is your Android System usage so high?
When I compare this with my SIII, the Android system runs between 5 and 6% and with pretty much the same usage as yours and I still get anywhere between 3.5 to 4 hours of on screen time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact mine is even higher... runs into 30s. Any specific reasons out here?
But in my case Tasker keeps running all the time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
A quick Google search will tell you that if it runs any higher than 10%, it is eating away your battery more than it should!

.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 16:40   #15664
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,092
Thanked: 551 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
In fact mine is even higher... runs into 30s. Any specific reasons out here?
But in my case Tasker keeps running all the time.
Hey Ampere. I just checked my A2 and with the battery currently at 48% after ~9hrs, my android system usage is 2%. If your's is very high it could be reason you were getting bad battery life. The screen @ 72% is the biggest battery hog, with phone idle next @ 6%. This is with 3G on all the time and all background sync enabled.

Are you still running ICS or have you moved to JB ?
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:12   #15665
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Sorry for quoting all three posts below but before you start these kind of comparisons lets be clear on what these graphs show.
+1. It is highly dependent on work load profile. With regular office/google mail on periodic autosync, voice and BT I expected voice and display to be the highest. But was surprised to Android up there sharing the level battery pie. May be I am missing something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Hey Ampere. I just checked my A2 and with the battery currently at 48% after ~9hrs, my android system usage is 2%. If your's is very high it could be reason you were getting bad battery life. The screen @ 72% is the biggest battery hog, with phone idle next @ 6%. This is with 3G on all the time and all background sync enabled.

Are you still running ICS or have you moved to JB ?
I am still on ICS. Did not move to JB leak. With Tasker my battery is easily 30+ hours. So I actually now dont worry much about profile distribution. Since it was brought up, I was just curious. My work load includes periodic 3g sync on office mail, google mail, voice, BT. No FB.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 17:47   #15666
BHPian
 
bhp_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kochi, Kerala
Posts: 398
Thanked: 80 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
+1. It is highly dependent on work load profile. With regular office/google mail on periodic autosync, voice and BT I expected voice and display to be the highest. But was surprised to Android up there sharing the level battery pie. May be I am missing something.



I am still on ICS. Did not move to JB leak. With Tasker my battery is easily 30+ hours. So I actually now dont worry much about profile distribution. Since it was brought up, I was just curious. My work load includes periodic 3g sync on office mail, google mail, voice, BT. No FB.
High usage of Android System/ Android OS just gives a vague information. I use an app called wakelock detector to find out the actual culprit.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2RldGVjdG9yIl0.

For me, the highest user on my note 2 is always "Android OS" followed by screen and Android System.
bhp_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 18:50   #15667
Senior - BHPian
 
9thsphinx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 1,043
Thanked: 438 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Sorry for quoting all three posts below but before you start these kind of comparisons lets be clear on what these graphs show.

It just shows the proportion of approximate battery consumption so if there is nothing much running on a phone you will always notice Screen to be largest consumer followed by Android system followed by other things like cell standby and device idle. However if you are using some application it will consume some power and proportion will change.
Thank you for that explanation. However my point was much simpler. Has your Android usage ever gone so high. Mine hasn't - no matter how much load I on the cpu or memory intensive applications I run simultaneously.

Also from the screen shots that were posted, it somehow made me feel that none of those running apps qualified for a such a high system usage. Which is what my question was - are Experias prone to higher Android system usage?

In normal circumstances it should be below 10percent. Higher system usage = more battery drainage.
9thsphinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 20:51   #15668
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,513
Thanked: 717 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Need your help,

I currently use a Nexus S which has been rooted and runs on CyanogenMod 10.1.0 RC4 and bedalus kernel. Ever since I rooted it, I have a lot of forced restarts, the screens freezes and in a few secs the phone restarts. What could be the possible issue here ?

Should I:

a) Use a ROM wiper and re-install ROM and kernel
or
b) Unroot phone and re-root it ?

Incase I have to unroot it,will a nandroid backup suffice or should i take someother back-up ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 3rd July 2013 at 20:54.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:35   #15669
HKS
BHPian
 
HKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Can someone suggest a good smartphone in the range of 10 - 15k. Need to buy for my BIL. Usage would be basic phone, FB and whatsapp. Need a robust one.

Please suggest.
I bought myself the WickedLeak Passion Z. A friend suggested it, and as a secondary device its awesome.
Full HD screen, 12MP camera, quad-core processor

Review:
http://www.***************/reviews/wi...ew/2013/06/01/

This feature impressed me, the Dragontail glass for a budget phone: http://www.***************/facts/wick...fe/2013/06/13/

Using it for last 1 week. And I'm impressed so far. 1st Android ever, primary phone is iPhone 5
HKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:40   #15670
Senior - BHPian
 
Desmosedici's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,381
Thanked: 405 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post
I bought myself the WickedLeak Passion Z. A friend suggested it, and as a secondary device its awesome.
Full HD screen, 12MP camera, quad-core processor

Review:
http://www.***************/reviews/wi...ew/2013/06/01/

This feature impressed me, the Dragontail glass for a budget phone: http://www.***************/facts/wick...fe/2013/06/13/

Using it for last 1 week. And I'm impressed so far. 1st Android ever, primary phone is iPhone 5
Thanks Buddy. But i have never heard about this brand ever before. Has it come in recently.
Desmosedici is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 21:52   #15671
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,349
Thanked: 8,166 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Looks like X-phone advt to roll out on the 4th of July

http://gadgets.ndtv.com/mobiles/news...ome-editorpick
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd July 2013, 22:05   #15672
HKS
BHPian
 
HKS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 104
Thanked: 6 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
Thanks Buddy. But i have never heard about this brand ever before. Has it come in recently.
I did my research. Its a one year old brand, and it has built a good reputation, because of its value for money and service. The person who showed me this link, has bought the Passion Y. And is pretty hapy with it.
HKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 00:01   #15673
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
Just curious, why is your Android System usage so high? Or is that the usual case with all Xperias? Also, I believe the screen time is on the lower side. Are you running stock JB?

When I compare this with my SIII, the Android system runs between 5 and 6% and with pretty much the same usage as yours and I still get anywhere between 3.5 to 4 hours of on screen time.
No idea about the android usage. Would help if other Xperia owners can fill us in.
Does updating / installing apps add to android system usage? There were at least 15 apps which were downloaded and installed on that day.

2.5 hours of screen time is pretty normal for me. I am running stock JB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9thsphinx View Post
are Experias prone to higher Android system usage?
I was using a rooted S2 with SlimRom before upgrading to the Xperia ZR.

I dont think the Xperias should be too heavy on the system. Sony version of android is very near stock. It is very similar to the Nexus ROM. Sony hasnt given much bloatware as compared to the Samsung and their Touchwiz. The free RAM on the ZR is usually 1.2 GB.

Last edited by AbhiJ : 4th July 2013 at 00:13.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 00:22   #15674
BHPian
 
smrtdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 228
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKS View Post

I did my research. Its a one year old brand, and it has built a good reputation, because of its value for money and service. The person who showed me this link, has bought the Passion Y. And is pretty hapy with it.
Am very much inclined towards the wammy passion z for myself but worried about the A.S.S. Any pointers on that?
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2013, 01:52   #15675
BHPian
 
omar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 40
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
No idea about the android usage. Would help if other Xperia owners can fill us in.
Does updating / installing apps add to android system usage? There were at least 15 apps which were downloaded and installed on that day.

2.5 hours of screen time is pretty normal for me. I am running stock JB.

Hey AbhiJ.. I got my ZR finally. Have a doubt about a possible issue with my phone. I can't explain it over here (will require a lengthy explanation). Can't PM you either :| Is there any way I can contact you?
omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:25.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks