Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2013, 11:50   #16546
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,719
Thanked: 827 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I'm surprised! I bought it from flipkart for 25 about 2 weeks back. Regarding battery life you can plan on another battery pack or maybe the sony dock. by the way its fun with this waterproof thing. the first thing I did when I got the phone was dip it in the bucket and operate it. Hahaha. Pagalpanti bhi zaroori hai. Though now im very happy with the phone. the standby battery depletion is particularly very low which is great as it is quite a lot with the s3. And this is with 3G continuously on with background syncing of all apps in ON mode. There is also a stamina mode which tremendously increases the battery life. So all in all moving from a blackberry would be good.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 12:39   #16547
BHPian
 
neerajpv87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dubai/Calicut
Posts: 115
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
I'm surprised! I bought it from flipkart for 25 about 2 weeks back. Regarding battery life you can plan on another battery pack or maybe the sony dock. by the way its fun with this waterproof thing. the first thing I did when I got the phone was dip it in the bucket and operate it. Hahaha. Pagalpanti bhi zaroori hai. Though now im very happy with the phone. the standby battery depletion is particularly very low which is great as it is quite a lot with the s3. And this is with 3G continuously on with background syncing of all apps in ON mode. There is also a stamina mode which tremendously increases the battery life. So all in all moving from a blackberry would be good.
Thanks a lot mate. It's price in Flipkart is 27,499 now! Cheapest is on ebay, around 26,700. Shall check the market price and then decide on where to buy.

And regarding the VGA front camera? Is it a major drawback?

Last edited by neerajpv87 : 13th October 2013 at 12:45.
neerajpv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 13:15   #16548
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,719
Thanked: 827 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Well I haven't even checked that as I dont use video calling etc. For me phone is strictly for calling, emails, texts, whatsapp, and internet. infact I've been replying on tbhp using the phone and that too using the full tbhp site and not the tbhp app.
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 13:28   #16549
BHPian
 
neerajpv87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dubai/Calicut
Posts: 115
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Well I haven't even checked that as I dont use video calling etc. For me phone is strictly for calling, emails, texts, whatsapp, and internet. infact I've been replying on tbhp using the phone and that too using the full tbhp site and not the tbhp app.
Thanks a lot man, You're a saviour. Actually, for past 2 years I've been using a phone without a front cam, and never felt a need for one . Shall be buying the phone this week itself.
neerajpv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 21:50   #16550
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87 View Post
Okay. Then ZR it is ! Since I'm moving from a BB, battery life is very important for me. Charging once a day is okay, but twice a day is big NO. But the best price I could fine online was around 26.5k, are you sure market price is below 25k?
I'd suggest you to wait for the Nexus 5 if and only if you can wait. I am also almost sold for the ZR but Sony's poor update policy means, you are left with the software provided at stock. (Although they have released the new update for the phone)

The advantage with nexus over ZR would be the tremendous amount of developer base and guaranteed future updates. Just look at xda and check for ZR developer options, you won't find many custom ROM's
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 22:14   #16551
Senior - BHPian
 
navpreet318's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Dehradun
Posts: 1,719
Thanked: 827 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

When I bought the ZR it had 4.1.2. As soon as I turned on the 3G it notified that an update is available. in 15 minutes. Voila 4.2.2!!
navpreet318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 23:05   #16552
BHPian
 
HappyRoadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 449
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys today I unrooted my friends Xperia M. Everything went smoothly. But when I restarted the phone it got stuck in bootloop. I could not understand what happened. Then after sometime I pressed the volume up button and power button together. And voila the Phone booted. What could have been the issue? Please tell.
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 23:20   #16553
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 314
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Guys today I unrooted my friends Xperia M. Everything went smoothly. But when I restarted the phone it got stuck in bootloop. I could not understand what happened. Then after sometime I pressed the volume up button and power button together. And voila the Phone booted. What could have been the issue? Please tell.
Cache corruption probably? 2nd time it came up as cache was corrected during the 1st hang up? You should've wiped the cache after the unrooting.

Last edited by null : 13th October 2013 at 23:21. Reason: desc
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2013, 23:22   #16554
BHPian
 
neerajpv87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Dubai/Calicut
Posts: 115
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I'd suggest you to wait for the Nexus 5 ..
Any idea about the India launch? I think it'll take some time for it to be available here, and I don't have any contacts in US to procure it for me. And to add to that, I'm not a fan of big phones ( as in screen size > 4.5 inch), so a 4.5 inch ZR would suffice. Patience is not one of my virtues, so waiting is out of the question !
neerajpv87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 00:04   #16555
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
The advantage with nexus over ZR would be the tremendous amount of developer base and guaranteed future updates.
This may not be the best thing really. I have a Nexus S and frankly the phone became very slow and laggy after the jellybean update. On one hand its great to get updates first but sometimes you feel you're better off without those updates.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 06:26   #16556
BHPian
 
HappyRoadie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Lucknow
Posts: 449
Thanked: 99 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Cache corruption probably? 2nd time it came up as cache was corrected during the 1st hang up? You should've wiped the cache after the unrooting.
Thanks a lot. So that means it was a minor problem and not a serious issue. But could you tell me how to clear cache after unrooting. I actually dont know how to enter stock recovery in xperia M. Could you please help?
HappyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 07:47   #16557
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,557
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
This may not be the best thing really. I have a Nexus S and frankly the phone became very slow and laggy after the jellybean update. On one hand its great to get updates first but sometimes you feel you're better off without those updates.
Nexus S specs are outdated. It has single core 1Ghz processor. It is bound to get slow. JB 4.2 was slow. 4.1 and 4.3 are fast.

I am using a Galaxy Nexus. Fantastic experience over all for the past 1 year. I have skipped the Nexus 4. I will upgrade to Nexus 5.

Nexus user experience and the quick updates are any day better ! The developer base is amazing.

The only downsides are not so great camera and no expandable memory.

I hope they fix the camera in the Nexus 5.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 09:25   #16558
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 314
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRoadie View Post
Thanks a lot. So that means it was a minor problem and not a serious issue. But could you tell me how to clear cache after unrooting. I actually dont know how to enter stock recovery in xperia M. Could you please help?
I was just suspecting it going by the symptoms you listed. I do not know how to reach the boot menu / recovery in xperia phones as I never had one. You can go to the file browser & delete the cache, but I am not sure how it would behave & hence not recommend it.

Since it has booted up fine, you need not worry. I can suggest you to reboot it once again and see if it comes up fine without any errors.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 12:23   #16559
Senior - BHPian
 
shashank.nk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,520
Thanked: 732 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Nexus S specs are outdated. It has single core 1Ghz processor. It is bound to get slow. JB 4.2 was slow. 4.1 and 4.3 are fast.

I am using a Galaxy Nexus. Fantastic experience over all for the past 1 year. I have skipped the Nexus 4. I will upgrade to Nexus 5.

Nexus user experience and the quick updates are any day better ! The developer base is amazing.

The only downsides are not so great camera and no expandable memory.

I hope they fix the camera in the Nexus 5.
My phone was brilliant till a year of ownership. I know it is bound to get slow with a single core processor and 512mb ram,but the phone became slow right after 4.1 update. Nexus S never got the 4.2 update.In my close friends' circle, we have a Nexus 4,Galaxy, my Nexus S and an S3. The S3 is the best overall phone. Will wait to see how the galaxy performs if it ever gets the kit kat update. I'm pretty sure it'll meet the same fate as the Nexus S with the 4.1 update
The camera in the Nexus 5 isn't expected to be like the one on the LG G2.
shashank.nk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2013, 14:14   #16560
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 336
Thanked: 122 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
My phone was brilliant till a year of ownership. I know it is bound to get slow with a single core processor and 512mb ram,but the phone became slow right after 4.1 update. Nexus S never got the 4.2 update.In my close friends' circle, we have a Nexus 4,Galaxy, my Nexus S and an S3. The S3 is the best overall phone. Will wait to see how the galaxy performs if it ever gets the kit kat update. I'm pretty sure it'll meet the same fate as the Nexus S with the 4.1 update
The camera in the Nexus 5 isn't expected to be like the one on the LG G2.
The camera of nexus 5 is going to be 13 MP.

The highlight of any nexus phone is the developer community because of which whenever you get the latest update, there are many custom ROM's based on it which work like charm.

In any case, it depends on your priorities. I was recommending the N5 over the ZR
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 04:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks