Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2013, 20:42   #16891
BHPian
 
gopinathann's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 766
Thanked: 20 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Recently facing one issue, my Galaxy Note 2 flash light is not working when using camera, used torch app to see if the flash is having issue, but after restarting it is working. Not sure what application is causing the flash driver issue. Anyone has faced this ?
gopinathann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2013, 20:52   #16892
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
In that case doesn't make much sense for me to go for a Note 3.
It would be criminal in this age to spend 30k and still not get a FHD (1080p) screen!

Believe me, its a reason enough to consider note 3 (other reasons jotted by amit notwithstanding). I have a 1080p phone now (the Xperia Z1) and its miles better than earlier gen 720p phones. The biggest factor in smartphones is the quality of the interface provided by the screen and the FHD screens really deliver there (more so for the larger 5 inch phones and phablets)

Anyway its your money but I wouldnt buy a previous gen phone now for that kind of money.
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 00:05   #16893
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swindon, UK
Posts: 696
Thanked: 84 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
It would be criminal in this age to spend 30k
Even I found it quite steep now that the new model is out.

Quote:
and still not get a FHD (1080p) screen!
I'm not sure what that means so I'll have to check out both the phones side by side to see the difference.

Quote:
Believe me, its a reason enough to consider note 3 (other reasons jotted by amit notwithstanding). I have a 1080p phone now (the Xperia Z1) and its miles better than earlier gen 720p phones. The biggest factor in smartphones is the quality of the interface provided by the screen and the FHD screens really deliver there (more so for the larger 5 inch phones and phablets)
Let me see how much I'm getting for my S3 and wife's iPhone 4 and see how much extra I need to put in for the Note 3 + my phone. Maybe a Note 3 and a Note 2 / Nexus 5 if I get a good deal since I'm buying 2 phones.

Quote:
Anyway its your money but
That's why I posted here so the experts can help me make an informed choice.

Quote:
I wouldnt buy a previous gen phone now for that kind of money.
Hope they drop the prices of the Note 2 in which case it may be worth it.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 04:50   #16894
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
I'm not sure what that means so I'll have to check out both the phones side by side to see the difference.
Can someone help me understand how their human eyes are able to consistently distinguish 300 PPI with 440 PPI. I can definitely imagine seeing a difference in viewing some HD videos, but not in most regular usage.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 06:19   #16895
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Can someone help me understand how their human eyes are able to consistently distinguish 300 PPI with 440 PPI. I can definitely imagine seeing a difference in viewing some HD videos, but not in most regular usage.
The 5.5+ inch phablets are not at 300ppi at 720p resolution. Note2 is around 217ppi if I remember correctly.

Note3 at FHD resolution is around 340ppi.

In regular usage also you can make out (while playing games or reading text as it is so much sharper). Also another usage is viewing pictures.

And who says 300ppi is the benchmark for human eyesight limits ? (answer - a particular fruit company). Companies are already working on 500+ ppi screens for next gen phones!
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 09:24   #16896
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,641
Thanked: 1,026 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Note2 is around 217ppi if I remember correctly.
It is 267 ppi for the Note 2.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 09:54   #16897
BHPian
 
BoneCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: MFP
Posts: 898
Thanked: 1,259 Times
Default

A quick question to all. I'm using Note 2 with my BSNL connection and Nokia Asha 311 with my AIRTEL connection. Due to pathetic service network of BSNL in my area, I plan to exchange the networks on phone. My question is, will I have to install everything again on my Note 2 after changing from BSNL to AIRTEL? I guess i'll have to reset Whats app but anything else that I need to do? I'm also using ICICI banking app, do I need to do something for it also? Please answer quickly as I intend to do it today itself. I'm pissed off with BSNL network. :-|
BoneCollector is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 10:01   #16898
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 327
Thanked: 117 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
A quick question to all. I'm using Note 2 with my BSNL connection and Nokia Asha 311 with my AIRTEL connection. Due to pathetic service network of BSNL in my area, I plan to exchange the networks on phone. My question is, will I have to install everything again on my Note 2 after changing from BSNL to AIRTEL? I guess i'll have to reset Whats app but anything else that I need to do? I'm also using ICICI banking app, do I need to do something for it also? Please answer quickly as I intend to do it today itself. I'm pissed off with BSNL network. :-|
I don't think you will need to install everything again including the ICICI banking app since the phone number is going to be the same. Only Whats app might need re-installation and re-activation.
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 10:46   #16899
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Whatsapp will work independent of SIM. Just that your texts will be sent using the old no.

ICICI App will work only on the registered mobile number.

Last edited by Warwithwheels : 12th November 2013 at 10:48.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 11:07   #16900
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 553
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneCollector View Post
I guess i'll have to reset Whats app but anything else that I need to do?
If you update to newest version of whatsapp, you don't have to go through whole reinstallation process. In the settings, they have added one option to change phone number.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 14:01   #16901
Senior - BHPian
 
DRIV3R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,641
Thanked: 1,026 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warwithwheels View Post
Whatsapp will work independent of SIM. Just that your texts will be sent using the old no.

ICICI App will work only on the registered mobile number.
No it would work for a while and later you would be asked to re verify your number.
DRIV3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 23:43   #16902
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,226
Thanked: 408 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Why do people say Nexus devices are first to get Android OS updates? I have the Nexus 7 (2012 ed.) and its still on JB4.3 only. Isint the Kitkat 4.4 out there already on Nexus devices? So disappointing.
joslicx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2013, 23:55   #16903
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,586
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Why do people say Nexus devices are first to get Android OS updates? I have the Nexus 7 (2012 ed.) and its still on JB4.3 only. Isint the Kitkat 4.4 out there already on Nexus devices? So disappointing.
Kitkat is an exception and will be available exclusively on Nexus 5 for a shot period of time.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 00:01   #16904
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,279
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
No it would work for a while and later you would be asked to re verify your number.
Are you sure? I guess that happens only when you try to install whatsapp with the same number on a different phone.
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2013, 00:18   #16905
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 980
Thanked: 199 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
Why do people say Nexus devices are first to get Android OS updates? I have the Nexus 7 (2012 ed.) and its still on JB4.3 only. Isint the Kitkat 4.4 out there already on Nexus devices? So disappointing.
Looks like they got all busy trying to release KitKat on the Halloween day in the US and hence couldn't get other devices on KitKat as soon. Even the KitKat build on Nexus 5 is not really polished. The camera software is slow and inconsistent so is battery life. My Nexus 5 came loaded with a pre-production build and it asked me to do system update even before I setup the phone (even before I provide my Google account details). That means their KitKat build wasn't ready when Nexus 5 went into production.

I think they'll release it in a couple weeks for Nexus 4, 7 and 10.
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« The iPhone Thread | - »

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:52.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks