Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2011, 18:12   #1756
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,420
Thanked: 2,063 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Guys,
Any advise on this phone?
This is the new entrant in the sub 15K market and has a 800MHz processor compared to the 600 one that Optimus 1 has. Planning on buying either this one or the LG Optimus 1

Buy Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles
Well, to be honest, seems a close call between the 2. None beats the other fair and square.

Ace wins in CPU(800mhz vs 600mhz), cam(5mp with flash vs 3mp no flash), screen(3.5in 16M colors vs 3.2in 256k)
Optimus wins in battery(1500mAh vs 1350 mAh), internal memory(170mb vs 150mb), price(12.5k vs 15k)

Flash support is absent in both the sets I think.

Personally, I like the Samsung more! Seems like a 'baby' Galaxy S.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 18:34   #1757
BHPian
 
chetans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 225
Thanked: 71 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The 800MHz processor supports flash. optimus has 600MHz and so doesnt support flash.

I was just planning to get optimus but now i need to think again
chetans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 18:53   #1758
BHPian
 
hiren.mistry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Bombay, London
Posts: 895
Thanked: 186 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Ok embarrassing question time.
My data plan is yet to active and it will be another couple of days, so I cannot install any apps from Appbrain or Android market.

Is it possible to download the .apk files on to the computer and from there install them using HTC Sync? I downloaded Brut maps apk from xda developers and tried installing it from HTC sync, but nothing seems to have happened?

How do I know if the app has been installed? Or do I need to copy the apk file to the sd card and then install it?

Many thanks
hiren.mistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 19:26   #1759
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,420
Thanked: 2,063 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetans View Post
The 800MHz processor supports flash. optimus has 600MHz and so doesnt support flash.

I was just planning to get optimus but now i need to think again
As per GSM Arena review, it does not! Quoting from their review:

Quote:
"You might have expected Flash support (we did, the Galaxy Ace runs Froyo after all) but itís not here. A little known fact is that not all hardware platforms support Flash, even though Froyo does. You canít do anything about it. The same issue plagues all entry-level Android smartphones such as the Optimus One and the Galaxy 551.
Sure, thereís the YouTube app but that doesnít help much for other video-sharing sites or sites that use Flash for navigation."
Source
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 20:51   #1760
BHPian
 
manojas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 70
Thanked: 17 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by johy View Post
Thanks Manoj!

Nexus S is on the list now. Let me check it out.

CaliAtenza, have you checked out the Motorola Defy?

Edit: Looked at the Nexus S video. I don't like the design too much; tacky looking :-(
Defy is a good choice. Rugged design and the 1540mAh battery are definite plus. Okay, I didn't pay much attention to the design. I want to have Gingerbread to test apps developed using the 2.3 SDK and the display looked really nice.
manojas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th February 2011, 21:43   #1761
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Ok embarrassing question time.
My data plan is yet to active and it will be another couple of days, so I cannot install any apps from Appbrain or Android market.

Is it possible to download the .apk files on to the computer and from there install them using HTC Sync? I downloaded Brut maps apk from xda developers and tried installing it from HTC sync, but nothing seems to have happened?

How do I know if the app has been installed? Or do I need to copy the apk file to the sd card and then install it?

Many thanks
Why do you need HTC sync? I have installed apps by directly copying apk files from PC to the phone and then running those in the phone. I installed NFS Shift like that.

Normal way is to goto market and select install (in phone itself) but there are better ways.

1) Some sites will have a QR code displayed, you can conveniently browse in your PC, select that app, it will display the QR code. Run your favorite QR code scanner app in phone, point the phone to the code on PC screen, scan and that will trigger an install!

2) Best way: Browse for apps in your PC by going to market.android.com. You need to be signed into your Google account. Select any app and click "Install in my Phone" option, just watch the phone - the app will automatically start downloading in your phone and will get installed, without even touching your phone! Cool.. isn't it?
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 08:59   #1762
BHPian
 
maverick555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Haryana
Posts: 78
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick555 View Post
Hi Friends

Just want to play around with Android OS so looking to buy secondary phone(currently using iphone 4).

Planning to get Google Nexus One(250 GBP) from Uk .Will it be a good buy ?? Please suggest.


Thanks
Can anybody using Nexus one help me with this ??
maverick555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 09:28   #1763
BHPian
 
black_rider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 269
Thanked: 177 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Ok embarrassing question time.
My data plan is yet to active and it will be another couple of days, so I cannot install any apps from Appbrain or Android market.

Is it possible to download the .apk files on to the computer and from there install them using HTC Sync? I downloaded Brut maps apk from xda developers and tried installing it from HTC sync, but nothing seems to have happened?

How do I know if the app has been installed? Or do I need to copy the apk file to the sd card and then install it?

Many thanks
Get "Astro file manager" or "Linda file manager" from Android market. Copy .apk from PC to SD card. Open Astro/Linda. Navgate to SD card, and tap on .apk to install. Could be a little different for Astro, I've used only Linda.

Now that currently you dont have an active data plan, you can use wi-fi to access Market and install these file managers.
black_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 10:34   #1764
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 640
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@Maverick. Nexus One is now quite old and Google has stopped supporting it now, which means that it might not receive further updates of the Android OS. 250 GBP comes to around 18K in our currency while the new Nexus S is being sold at 24K. So i would suggest you increase your budget a little bit and get the Nexus S .

Or if you just want to play with Android, why not get a cheaper Android like the Optimus or the Galaxy 3 ?
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 10:53   #1765
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: new mumbai
Posts: 99
Thanked: 4 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Guys,
Any advise on this phone?
This is the new entrant in the sub 15K market and has a 800MHz processor compared to the 600 one that Optimus 1 has. Planning on buying either this one or the LG Optimus 1

Buy Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830: Price, Reviews: Flipkart Mobiles
@f1fan had ordered this phone yesterday from Flipkart, must have the phone by 11th Feb .
scrooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 10:57   #1766
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
@f1fan had ordered this phone yesterday from Flipkart, must have the phone by 11th Feb .
Cool, let me know how it is and also how the buying experience was with Flipkart.
I am planning to buy it from Alpha (if it is cheaper there) or from flipkart.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 11:01   #1767
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Cool, let me know how it is and also how the buying experience was with Flipkart.
I am planning to buy it from Alpha (if it is cheaper there) or from flipkart.
I too bought from flipkart. The buying experience was good. The site has neat UI, and is easy to navigate, and all information regarding your order is shown in one place - unlike eBay.

The courier service however, was pathetic. There was no way I could track my shipment until it arrived two days later than promised. (First flight) I think they used the last flight

I hate eBay UI - it is so confusing and getting all the required information at one place is a pain. No I am not a new user of eBay, I have been using that site ever since they were bidorbuyindia.com and the later Bazee.com.

Last edited by clevermax : 8th February 2011 at 11:02.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 12:20   #1768
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 384 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Samsung Galaxy S available for 25000 w/o warranty ! Worth a shot over the HTC desire HD (26500) with b and w ?

Been hearing some depressing reports on the htc battery life !

@ Hiren can confirm this battery life thingy once his data plan is activated.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 12:35   #1769
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Samsung Galaxy S available for 25000 w/o warranty ! Worth a shot over the HTC desire HD (26500) with b and w ?
Been hearing some depressing reports on the htc battery life !
@ Hiren can confirm this battery life thingy once his data plan is activated.
I can give an idea about HTC Desire's battery life.

I have gprs edge data plan and not 3G. I keep GPS, BT and Wi-Fi off while not in use. I use task killer which automatically kills apps at every 30 minutes. I use all 7 desktops and several widgets on them including weather widget, mails etc. I keep the brightness at 'Auto Adjust' during day and at a lower setting at night. I have S-LCD screen and not AMOLED.

I get very low network coverage (Airtel's Magic!) at home so it might be using some good amount of battery for network hunting.

1) Full charge to empty in 8 hours with heavy GPS usage. (Navigation, map usage, tracking, Compass etc)

2) About 16 hours with normal usage - some 20-30 minutes on calls, fair amount of browsing using Wi-Fi and Edge, few camera shots, some CPU intensive apps like Games or Photoshop express for 20 minutes or so.

3) 24 hours with minimal amount of usage - some calls, some browsing and checking mails etc.

Last edited by clevermax : 8th February 2011 at 12:41.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th February 2011, 12:44   #1770
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
My data plan is yet to active and it will be another couple of days, so I cannot install any apps from Appbrain or Android market.
Mumbai folks: Any good data plans that you guys can suggest. I am currently with Vodafone and there is nothing great about their data plans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrooze View Post
@f1fan had ordered this phone yesterday from Flipkart, must have the phone by 11th Feb .
Forgot to ask another point: What about Octroi? Is it paid or do you need to pay the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I too bought from flipkart. The buying experience was good. The site has neat UI, and is easy to navigate, and all information regarding your order is shown in one place - unlike eBay.

The courier service however, was pathetic. There was no way I could track my shipment until it arrived two days later than promised. (First flight) I think they used the last flight

I hate eBay UI - it is so confusing and getting all the required information at one place is a pain. No I am not a new user of eBay, I have been using that site ever since they were bidorbuyindia.com and the later Bazee.com.
Thanks for the update clevermax. I am always scared about buying electronics online bcos I am skeptical about returns/exchanges from online sites if the package/cellphone is damaged in transit.

Last edited by f1fan : 8th February 2011 at 12:46.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:03.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks