Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th February 2014, 22:07   #17746
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,457
Thanked: 3,566 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

In my Nexus 5 the notifications don't go off by on there own. For instance if I have got a missed call, it shows at the top of the screen. Now if I go and view my log and see that missed call, even call him/her, then also the notification still stays. I have to physically go and clear the notifications. Is there any setting that I am missing?
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:30   #17747
Senior - BHPian
 
h@r$h@l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GJ1
Posts: 1,433
Thanked: 685 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
In my Nexus 5 the notifications don't go off by on there own. For instance if I have got a missed call, it shows at the top of the screen. Now if I go and view my log and see that missed call, even call him/her, then also the notification still stays. I have to physically go and clear the notifications. Is there any setting that I am missing?
No setting. Its the same with my Moto G running on Kitkat 4.4.2

You have 'see' the notification for it to go away.

Guess that's how it is in stock kitkat
h@r$h@l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:38   #17748
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 642 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by h@r$h@l View Post
No setting. Its the same with my Moto G running on Kitkat 4.4.2

You have 'see' the notification for it to go away.

Guess that's how it is in stock kitkat
You can swipe the notification aside, if you no longer need it
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:46   #17749
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,580
Thanked: 3,324 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
You can swipe the notification aside, if you no longer need it
Surprisingly, that doesnt work in my S3 (4.1.2) as well. What's the point of the clear button if i MUST see all notifications.

This is vexing!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th February 2014, 22:50   #17750
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 642 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Surprisingly, that doesnt work in my S3 (4.1.2) as well. What's the point of the clear button if i MUST see all notifications.

This is vexing!
Clear all should work. Right now I dont have any notifications, I will check and revert.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 03:47   #17751
BHPian
 
smrtdvl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Coimbatore
Posts: 227
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simhi View Post

Moto G rocks - display is awesome (Gorilla Glass with 300+ ppi). Thanks to Motorola and Flipkart for launching 16GB at this price. Value for money.
+1 to that. Camera is very much at acceptable levels. Not tried any 3rd party camera apps yet. They have given names of 2 service centres in Coimbatore along with the invoice. Now I have to just look for a bumper case preferably colored ones.

Last edited by smrtdvl : 25th February 2014 at 04:03.
smrtdvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 06:39   #17752
BHPian
 
rajcs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mumbai, MH
Posts: 226
Thanked: 185 Times
Default

Samsung has released Galaxy S5.
5.1 display, 2.5GHz quad core, 2GB RAM, 32GB internal memory, 16MP camera, SD card, LTE, KitKat 4.4.2.
It's not metal case as rumoured, but swappable rear panels.
While a 16GB version is also available, it is reported that almost 8GB is already used up by the OS.
Phone features finger print scanner. And also a heart rate monitor through finger on LED flash - I don't know how different it is than some of the apps already available for other phones. Perhaps it provides heart rate feed to Gear Fit, a wearable device also revealed today.
Phone has rubber lined back cover and a cover for the usb connector to keep moisture out. Something we have seen to be quite effective on Moto Defy.
Phone would be available in US by April. We can expect it to be around 50k in India.

Last edited by rajcs : 25th February 2014 at 06:46.
rajcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 12:20   #17753
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Chennai
Posts: 324
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Upgraded my Xperia SP to 4.3 official update version. The difference is really amazing, what a great transformation from the earlier version (4.1.2). UI is butter smooth, Camera is better now and surprising fast. Feeling better now since I bought this an year back.
Jebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 12:52   #17754
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,851
Thanked: 3,149 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Surprisingly, that doesnt work in my S3 (4.1.2) as well. What's the point of the clear button if i MUST see all notifications.

This is vexing!
On my stock S3, the 'Clear' button clears the notification panel completely (or individual notifications can be swiped off), the missed call/message/app alert still shows in their resp. apps (a number in a red bubble, top right).

Also, persistent notifications (like meeting alerts) keep coming back unless you 'dismiss' them or their start time elapses.

Same behavior on the factory 4.1.2 firmware, and recently updated 4.3.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 25th February 2014 at 12:53.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 14:22   #17755
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,108
Thanked: 3,687 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Now even Nokia joins the Android bandwagon!

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/24/n...android-phone/

Last edited by sgiitk : 25th February 2014 at 14:44.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 15:07   #17756
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Now even Nokia joins the Android bandwagon!

http://www.engadget.com/2014/02/24/n...android-phone/
it's not real Android though; its a forked version like the Amazon Kindle Fire. It just connects to Microsoft and Nokia services. They are avoiding google completely.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 15:13   #17757
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: LAX-SNA-BFL-BLR
Posts: 319
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajcs View Post
Samsung has released Galaxy S5.
5.1 display, 2.5GHz quad core, 2GB RAM, 32GB internal memory, 16MP camera, SD card, LTE, KitKat 4.4.2.
It's not metal case as rumoured, but swappable rear panels.
While a 16GB version is also available, it is reported that almost 8GB is already used up by the OS.
Phone features finger print scanner. And also a heart rate monitor through finger on LED flash - I don't know how different it is than some of the apps already available for other phones. Perhaps it provides heart rate feed to Gear Fit, a wearable device also revealed today.
Phone has rubber lined back cover and a cover for the usb connector to keep moisture out. Something we have seen to be quite effective on Moto Defy.
Phone would be available in US by April. We can expect it to be around 50k in India.
i'm probably going to upgrade to this. My upgrade on Verizon hits at the end of April. I have an S3 right now. I think a lot of people in India who still have S3s will step up to the S5.
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 15:15   #17758
Senior - BHPian
 
naveenroy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 1,317
Thanked: 689 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
it's not real Android though; its a forked version like the Amazon Kindle Fire. It just connects to Microsoft and Nokia services. They are avoiding google completely.
Yup and that makes it very interesting. I can't wait to see xda start off hacking these devices. Will be nice to play on a different version of Android. Interesting times ahead!
naveenroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 21:47   #17759
Distinguished - BHPian
 
drmohitg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Delhi
Posts: 4,457
Thanked: 3,566 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Has anyone faced an issue with the stock charger provided for Nexus 5? The charger doesn't connect that smoothly and I sort have to force it into the phone. Whereas my old Galaxy S2's charger connects with butter-smooth ease in the Nexus.
drmohitg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th February 2014, 22:20   #17760
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 642 Times
Default

Same here, I have shifted to Qi charger.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:30.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks