Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2014, 17:41   #18001
Senior - BHPian
 
harry10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Faridabad/Delhi
Posts: 2,223
Thanked: 570 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdp1975 View Post
Lava Iris 406Q available for pre-order on Flipkart @ Rs 6999/-

http://www.flipkart.com/lava-iris-40...mdvfykhkdbeudm

1GB memory , 1.2 GHz quad core Qualcomm CPU , 1700 mAh battery. This is an excellent deal at this price point.
Specs look good.
Never used Lava phones. How are they in terms of reliability?

Also, talk time isn't mentioned. Any way to find that?
harry10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 18:50   #18002
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 1,544 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post

The only thing that worries me is how their new phones will be. Google innovated with the Moto X and brought us something new instead of just the usual specs war and after using the X for little over a week now, I think it's a brilliant phone. Google will still hold a 6% stake in Moto after Lenovo takes over, so let's hope this innovation continues.
From what I have heard Lenovo have little intention of retaining the Motorola name as a brand in phones and have acquired it only for its key technology and patents. Once the full integration takes place they will move only to Lenovo brand leaving all existing Moto phone owners in the lurch. Unfortunately India does not have any laws to protect users on minimum life cycle support and people will not be able to challenge them. The only fallback for users needing support after warranty expiry will be grey market and cannibalized parts at exorbitant prices.

Lenovo has very high ambitions and if there is one challenger even Samsung is scared of it is Lenovo. Product evolution and speed is one of the strong points of Lenovo.

Last edited by Behemoth : 11th April 2014 at 18:52.
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2014, 23:11   #18003
PPS
Senior - BHPian
 
PPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: mumbai
Posts: 1,930
Thanked: 1,883 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetfreakBombay View Post
Not sure if this belongs here or on Joke thread, but news is trickling in about initial pricing of Galaxy S5.
And that price is 51k.
Absurd prices!
Its giving tough competition to Honda Activa & Hero Splendor!
Atleast that is what it competes against it appears.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/samsung-g...464264-11.html
PPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 00:54   #18004
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: RJ-19 / UK-07
Posts: 236
Thanked: 246 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
S3 has a far better camera. Else I would say the moto. some warranty > none?!

btw u arent getting a decent deal at all. i got an opened box "unopened" phone for just under 18k. i took the battery out of the case etc. While you get none in 13k for an year old phone.

Not a great deal at all.
Thanks phamilyman. That was indeed helpful. I have been researching and the phones that have surfaced on my radar are Lenovo S660 (good features, monster -3000 mAh Battery) and Samsung Grand Quattro. Couldn't find any reviews for the Lenovo as yet though. Maybe I'll just wait & watch - in no particular hurry as of now ! Who knows I might come across a better phone, after all all good things come to those who wait ( although, as a corollary "The Early Bird Gets The Worm !)

Thanks all the same !


Cheers !
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 01:01   #18005
BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: RJ-19 / UK-07
Posts: 236
Thanked: 246 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
Hi Ironhide,

A year old S3 may not be a good idea at 13K, as they are quite delicate. A price around 10K would be more realistic, as a new one comes for around 23K now.
On the Moto G, I don't have first hand experience but Motorola has kind of been floating between brands, first Google and now Lenovo and the Moto G is the last phone from the Moto-Google time. They are actually clearing all the stocks of their phones. Future continuity of support and service may become a challenge. It is a great phone but the future is uncertain for them.

With the way that phone prices are dropping nowadays, you could actually get a much more recent phone at a 15k price. Do see the S660 phone from Lenovo I suggested - it has good specs and great battery.

Regards,
Behemoth
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
S3 has a far better camera. Else I would say the moto. some warranty > none?!

btw u arent getting a decent deal at all. i got an opened box "unopened" phone for just under 18k. i took the battery out of the case etc. While you get none in 13k for an year old phone.

Not a great deal at all.

Thanks phamilyman and Behemoth. I'm keeping a close eye on The Lenovo and Samsung series - just waitin' and watchin' (though not for long !)

Cheers!
Ironhide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 08:36   #18006
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,594
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post

Thanks phamilyman and Behemoth. I'm keeping a close eye on The Lenovo and Samsung series - just waitin' and watchin' (though not for long !)

Cheers!
I'll suggest to forget samsung at this price range. It's just got too much bloat and lag which overwhelms competent devices. Excellent specs mean crap if you don't get a smooth lag free experience. I've had two S3's, the second one got cm right away because I have no patience with Samsung bloatware!

Lastly unless you buy the lenovo k900 or so, you'll not get a lag free device like the Moto G. There's a reason it's the best selling device for Motorola. Ever. Heck, it's initial sales brought down the flipkart website.

Plus future updates need an active developer community. Check the lenovo models on that first. Often the Indian devices are not supported as well even for Samsung.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 13:55   #18007
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,368
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default

Got the S Duos 2, rooted it and threw some bloatwate out even before I started using it. The phone is reasonably ok for my wife's use.

Update about my xolo battery issue : we called up the service center on Wednesday evening and they promised that the battery will arrive on Thursday. But when we called up on Thursday to collect the battery, they coolly said it will take 1.5 months more to get the battery. However good the specs may be, we are not touching Xolo again even with a 10 foot pole.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th April 2014, 22:09   #18008
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,594
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Got the S Duos 2, rooted it and threw some bloatwate out even before I started using it. The phone is reasonably ok for my wife's use.

Update about my xolo battery issue : we called up the service center on Wednesday evening and they promised that the battery will arrive on Thursday. But when we called up on Thursday to collect the battery, they coolly said it will take 1.5 months more to get the battery. However good the specs may be, we are not touching Xolo again even with a 10 foot pole.

--Anoop
Jesus, xolo needs to really get their act together. Seems like they diverted your shipment to someone else.

But why root the Duos right away? Why No interest in the warranty?!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 07:49   #18009
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,501
Thanked: 1,664 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhide View Post
Need some inputs here.. I need to choose between a used 1 year old well kept Samsung Galaxy S3 and a new Motorola Moto G.
Why not check out Grand or Grand Neo ?
I am a fan of large screens. Ever since my Grand was stolen in Feb, I am contemplating on buying the Grand Neo. Will make a purchase in a week or two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Sure bro, will give it a try.
I positively hate the middle range phones from samsung and I have absolutely no expectations from S Duos 2 other than being able to play some music, talking pocoyo and play some videos - and oh, FB and whatsapp too. Since this will be used by my wife, there will be no question of multitasking. But still, I have plans to root and remove at least some of the bloatware - hope this will help to an extent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
I had used S duos for a year and a couple of months before I literally threw it away! The stock ROM was very very laggy from day 1. Waited patiently for the warranty to expire and installed a custom ROM only to find that things did not improve even a bit.
But I did hear good reviews about S Duos 2. The specs are definitely a lot better than the original S Duos. Might not be a bad choice at all for some one who does not do much multi tasking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drsingh View Post
The original galaxy S was grossly underpowered. The new galaxy S duos 2 has a Broadcom SOC similar to the galaxy grand.
It may be called a galaxy grand in a "mini" package with slightly lesser ram and 5mp instead of 8mp camera.
If you see the specs, Broadcom SOC has very good battery efficiency and uses the same image processor as the original NOKIA 41 mp phone.
Ok, so much mixed reviews for the Galaxy S Duos 2 !!
I placed an order for the same with Amazon, yesterday evening. Costed me 8435 INR.

This will be for my mother, aged 62 yrs !! She has been using a Galaxy Y for the last 1 year and has become an Android addict, if I may say so !!
Her uses are Whatsapp, Net Browsing, Facebook (may be, she will get an account soon !!), Watching Movies, Listening to music on Player and Radio. Last, not the least, Games - Those simple puzzle games.
How will it be for her ? My brother was trying to get her a Micromax Canvas something. Mom wanted a 'branded phone'. Hence the Galaxy S Duos 2.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 07:55   #18010
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,555
Thanked: 646 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
From what I have heard Lenovo have little intention of retaining the Motorola name as a brand in phones and have acquired it only for its key technology and patents. Once the full integration takes place they will move only to Lenovo brand leaving all existing Moto phone owners in the lurch. Unfortunately India does not have any laws to protect users on minimum life cycle support and people will not be able to challenge them. The only fallback for users needing support after warranty expiry will be grey market and cannibalized parts at exorbitant prices.

Lenovo has very high ambitions and if there is one challenger even Samsung is scared of it is Lenovo. Product evolution and speed is one of the strong points of Lenovo.
The post is true except for the patents. Google still owns the patents.
If Lenovo is prudent, they should retain the MOTO brand. Moto has tremendous brand recall.
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 08:21   #18011
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,368
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Why not check out Grand or Grand Neo ?
Mom wanted a 'branded phone'. Hence the Galaxy S Duos 2.
It will suit your mom's use, bro. If you are not averse to root the phone, you can throw away some junk which comes bundle with the phone. For a non power user, the phone is not bad.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 09:21   #18012
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 1,544 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
The post is true except for the patents. Google still owns the patents.
If Lenovo is prudent, they should retain the MOTO brand. Moto has tremendous brand recall.
Thanks for the correction F150. Yes, Google still retains ownership on the majority of patents and Lenovo becomes a Licensee for the patents, most of them in the mobility space.

Regards,
Behemoth
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 11:07   #18013
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,110
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
From what I have heard Lenovo have little intention of retaining the Motorola name as a brand in phones and have acquired it only for its key technology and patents. Once the full integration takes place they will move only to Lenovo brand leaving all existing Moto phone owners in the lurch. Unfortunately India does not have any laws to protect users on minimum life cycle support and people will not be able to challenge them. The only fallback for users needing support after warranty expiry will be grey market and cannibalized parts at exorbitant prices.

Lenovo has very high ambitions and if there is one challenger even Samsung is scared of it is Lenovo. Product evolution and speed is one of the strong points of Lenovo.
Actually I have read the contrary. Lenovo is not a strong name in the mobile space and that is where Motorola comes into their strategy. They are actually planning on re-introducing the Motorola brand into China, Lenovo's biggest market. This strategy is similar to what they did with IBM and the 'ThinkPad'.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/12/54...a-few-quarters

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 14th April 2014 at 11:10.
fiat_tarun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 11:56   #18014
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,079
Thanked: 1,544 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Actually I have read the contrary. Lenovo is not a strong name in the mobile space and that is where Motorola comes into their strategy. They are actually planning on re-introducing the Motorola brand into China, Lenovo's biggest market. This strategy is similar to what they did with IBM and the 'ThinkPad'.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/12/54...a-few-quarters
It is already #5 worldwide and growing very fast. Please see the attached report from Gartner.
http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2665715

(Anyway, I am not affiliated with Lenovo in any way and have no interests with them. My views are purely of an independent observer of the industry and as a user!)
Behemoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th April 2014, 12:15   #18015
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,110
Thanked: 578 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
It is already #5 worldwide and growing very fast. Please see the attached report from Gartner.
http://www.gartner.com/newsroom/id/2665715.
.
.
Agreed, but most of this volume is from low cost smartphones in China which have hardly any profit margins. My comment on the brand value was for the higher end phones. They need a share of the American market and the Lenovo brand won't help them there.

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 14th April 2014 at 12:23.
fiat_tarun is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:20.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks