Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2014, 10:49   #18481
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Delhi
Posts: 186
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Android Bug Lets Apps Make Rogue Phone Calls - The article claims all devices running android versions prior to 4.4.4 are vulnerable to this bug.

http://www.computerworld.in/news/and...ue-phone-calls
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 11:36   #18482
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: @ Driver's Seat @
Posts: 679
Thanked: 57 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dry Ice View Post
The guys over at Samsung/Sony/HTC must be nervous - earlier it was the Moto G, then E and now this! Seems like all the action has suddenly shifted to the sub-20k segment!

Acche din aane wale hain, for sure
Moto X down my INR 2000 ! on Flippy. Net effect
lambuhere1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 12:21   #18483
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

The phone wasn't laggy, but it wasn't snappy either. Not like the almighty snapdragon 800 - think of latencies that are predictable but visibly slower than the flagships.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
I suppose it has got something to do with the software.

It simply may not be as fine tuned as what you get from the other mainstream manufacturers, I'm just guessing here.
Yes your guess is right It's mostly software.

Performance and power optimization takes a large chunk of time and Human resources and it is mostly the software.
Processor can have several low power modes and deep sleep states but when exactly to call these and when to come out is determined by software and it is not part of Android Open Source as it is very much board specific.

UX / UI polishing is relatively easy but building team of engineers with system understanding takes time and maturity so newer players may have some catchup to to ( just my guess I do not know how they work internally)
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 23:35   #18484
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

On a side note, the other MotoE/G challenger / killer is here: Asus Zenfone!
http://www.flipkart.com/search?q=asus+zenfone
ZF4 is head to head with MotoE with a supposedly much nicer camera.
ZF5 is cheaper than MotoG
ZF6 is interesting. large, good amount of ram and a very decent camera/price.

Micromax, Lava and Celkom will have to work that much harder now. Samsung is in trouble for sure - they weren't too strong in this ~20k segment anyway.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 07:13   #18485
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Hold your horses.

To quote Tanveer, if the specs are for an arabian horse, the performance (IMNSHO to my utter shock) is more like a weak overworked indian victoria horse.

The phone wasn't laggy, but it wasn't snappy either. Not like the almighty snapdragon 800 - think of latencies that are predictable but visibly slower than the flagships.
http://appglimpse.com/blog/touchmark...een-latencies/ - this would be at the lower end of the scale as per my 15-20 min playing with the device. (sample set of 1 btw).

The look/feel is simply awesome btw.

I would recommend letting other early adopters buy it, then see it in person before deciding!

EDIT: see links such as this - http://www.dazeinfo.com/2014/04/14/h...sales-q1-2014/
Are you saying that the phone seems slow due to touch screen latency or you saying the phone is slow because it is slow, software wise? Or we do not know and taking a best guess?
I saw some video's too I feel the latency is due to software than hardware because the hardware is top notch as in Snapdraggon 800, 2GB LPDDR3 RAM etc etc.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 07:23   #18486
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Are you saying that the phone seems slow due to touch screen latency or you saying the phone is slow because it is slow, software wise? Or we do not know and taking a best guess?
I saw some video's too I feel the latency is due to software than hardware because the hardware is top notch as in Snapdraggon 800, 2GB LPDDR3 RAM etc etc.
Latency is there - don't know what is the reason, the touchscreen digitizer or the software?! All I experienced is that unlike regular android/touchwiz - the latency is constant, not like the S3, where you press the unlock button and the screen can take 5 seconds to come on etc (while normally taking half a second).

It doesn't have the snappiness you'd expect with similar flagship spec devices. THAT was my impression.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 07:40   #18487
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Latency is there - don't know what is the reason, the touchscreen digitizer or the software?! All I experienced is that unlike regular android/touchwiz - the latency is constant, not like the S3, where you press the unlock button and the screen can take 5 seconds to come on etc (while normally taking half a second).

It doesn't have the snappiness you'd expect with similar flagship spec devices. THAT was my impression.
Given it is constant I feel it may be due to touch hardware. I was looking forward to buying this device but I will stick with my Nexus 5 for the time being.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 09:13   #18488
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Given it is constant I feel it may be due to touch hardware. I was looking forward to buying this device but I will stick with my Nexus 5 for the time being.
btw, Im not discounting that I may have statistically had a bad piece. I used only one extensively, and one in passing (5-10 mins).

Surely there would be early adopters in your friends' circle / company.

Let them buy it. And you observe. and then decide

btw, zenfone advertises a 60ms touch responsiveness. If so, that's REALLY awesome (better than iphone5!!).
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 09:19   #18489
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: DL9C
Posts: 2,385
Thanked: 1,983 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
On a side note, the other MotoE/G challenger / killer is here: Asus Zenfone!
http://www.flipkart.com/search?q=asus+zenfone
ZF4 is head to head with MotoE with a supposedly much nicer camera.
ZF5 is cheaper than MotoG
ZF6 is interesting. large, good amount of ram and a very decent camera/price.

Micromax, Lava and Celkom will have to work that much harder now. Samsung is in trouble for sure - they weren't too strong in this ~20k segment anyway.
O boy! This is becoming just like the Great Indian Hatch wars!!

Comparing the 2,

+ Asus 4
Bigger internal memory 8GB(vs 4GB)
Secondary camera
1000 bucks cheaper

+ Moto E
Higher resolution qHD (vs WVGA)
Bigger battery 1980mAh (vs 1600)
FM
Kitkat 4.4 (vs 4.3 - but seems it will be upgraded)

I need to buy 1 in the coming weeks.
Dry Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 09:27   #18490
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,487
Thanked: 1,172 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
btw, Im not discounting that I may have statistically had a bad piece. I used only one extensively, and one in passing (5-10 mins).

Surely there would be early adopters in your friends' circle / company.

Let them buy it. And you observe. and then decide

btw, zenfone advertises a 60ms touch responsiveness. If so, that's REALLY awesome (better than iphone5!!).
Zenfone 5 looks excellent value for money, especially the 8GB model. The CPU+GPU combination is pretty great as well. The delta between the 8GB model and the 16GB model is a bit too much I feel when you playing the VFM card.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 17:13   #18491
Distinguished - BHPian
 
n_aditya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Namma Bengaluru
Posts: 5,182
Thanked: 2,674 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
On a side note, the other MotoE/G challenger / killer is here: Asus Zenfone!
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
Zenfone 5 looks excellent value for money, especially the 8GB model. The CPU+GPU combination is pretty great as well. The delta between the 8GB model and the 16GB model is a bit too much I feel when you playing the VFM card.
So after a bit of reading up on the net, I am seriously considering the Asus Zenfone 5 A501CG 16GB model which is available for pre-order on flipkart for 13k (link).

The specs look great with a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor and 2GB RAM etc.

Experts, please share your views and opinions on the phone and the after sales support provided by Asus.

I also considered the Zenfone 6 but I guess its a tad too big to carry around.
n_aditya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 21:44   #18492
JLS
BHPian
 
JLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ahmedabad
Posts: 125
Thanked: 101 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The specs look great with a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor and 2GB RAM etc.

Experts, please share your views and opinions on the phone and the after sales support provided by Asus.

I also considered the Zenfone 6 but I guess its a tad too big to carry around.
Aditya,
yes 2 GB RAM is tempting, however I would suggest to wait and see how this phones with Intel Atom processors perform before placing order.

On the other side Moto E and G are already success stories.
I have bought Moto E for my wife and from build quality to responsiveness, everything is great - except a lack of secondary camera and a poor primary camera.
If camera is not important for you, I suggest go for Moto E/G as per your needs.

Regards,
JLS
JLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 23:10   #18493
BHPian
 
JMaruru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 518
Thanked: 97 Times
Thumbs up Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS View Post
yes 2 GB RAM is tempting, however I would suggest to wait and see how this phones with Intel Atom processors perform before placing order. On the other side Moto E and G are already success stories.
I have bought Moto E for my wife and from build quality to responsiveness, everything is great - except a lack of secondary camera and a poor primary camera.
+1. We need to find out from some one who has had first hand experience of this new device. Asus have done a good work on getting the most desired features on these devices. Moto E could have been a complete phone with a led flash for the primary camera + even 0.3M of secondary camera.
JMaruru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 23:37   #18494
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
The specs look great with a 1.6 GHz Intel Atom processor and 2GB RAM etc.
The Atom has not had a great run in the mobile circuit. It packs in performance and the totally leaves the power envelop open. Had it been good, we should have seen a barrage of mobile products from Intel. You should get initial buyer impressions before you commit to it.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 23:46   #18495
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,288
Thanked: 18,804 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
The Atom has not had a great run in the mobile circuit. It packs in performance and the totally leaves the power envelop open. Had it been good, we should have seen a barrage of mobile products from Intel. You should get initial buyer impressions before you commit to it.
Yeah and the Intel clover trail+ is basically the medfield with another X86 core and improved graphics. Intel are still on 32nM whereas others are 28nM and 22nM in the interest of power.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:53.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks