Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2014, 18:02   #20176
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Any help with this query please?
If suppose you have a Samsung phone , Try this Kiosk mode app.
http://www.42gears.com/surelock/sure...d_samsung.html

There is a version for Motorola as well , Before Android L Kiosk mode API was an OEM provided extensions so this won't work on all Androids.

However some of these extensions including Kiosk ( renamed as PIN by G) are included in L so in future once the app writers upgrade to L API you can expect it to work on all androids with L release.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 21:57   #20177
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,840
Thanked: 3,103 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
If suppose you have a Samsung phone , Try this Kiosk mode app.
http://www.42gears.com/surelock/sure...d_samsung.html

There is a version for Motorola as well , Before Android L Kiosk mode API was an OEM provided extensions so this won't work on all Androids.

However some of these extensions including Kiosk ( renamed as PIN by G) are included in L so in future once the app writers upgrade to L API you can expect it to work on all androids with L release.
I'm surprised there's no 'easy' way for a navigation app to stay in the foreground (which is pretty much a basic function). Is this how HERE works on all platforms or is this just an Android version quirk?
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 22:06   #20178
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,616
Thanked: 1,215 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
My biggest concern with Lollipop is the battery life. The screen on time is hardly 2.5 hours which is way too low even considering the fact that Nexus 5 has a relatively small battery. Just goes to show that creating an efficient system is no child's play and even Google with all its programming might isnt up to the job. Makes me appreciate my iPhone even more. My supposedly ancient 3 year old iPhone 4s is running fine on iOS 8 and has better battery life than Nexus 5 even with its tiny 14xx mah battery.
Even i am sick of the drop in battery life after upgrade to Lollipop on my Nexus 4. Today morning it went from 100- 30% in 4.5 hours that too with ascreen time of just half hour
sagarpadaki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 22:28   #20179
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Kochi
Posts: 227
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Hi,
Is there any way to go back to kitkat ? I have nexus 4.
Thanks
Rameshdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:23   #20180
Senior - BHPian
 
extreme_torque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Melbourne
Posts: 3,502
Thanked: 1,196 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameshdude View Post
Hi,
Is there any way to go back to kitkat ? I have nexus 4.
Thanks
You can download the factory image and flash it. It should work.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2014, 23:34   #20181
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,026
Thanked: 373 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm surprised there's no 'easy' way for a navigation app to stay in the foreground (which is pretty much a basic function). Is this how HERE works on all platforms or is this just an Android version quirk?
I think this may be just because the people who programmed Here App in Android forgot something and thus it is an app limitation.
The roundabout way I suggested was to overcome this by using what Samsung developed for entirely different use-cases for business users.
amitk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2014, 15:22   #20182
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,840
Thanked: 3,103 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
I think this may be just because the people who programmed Here App in Android forgot something and thus it is an app limitation.
The roundabout way I suggested was to overcome this by using what Samsung developed for entirely different use-cases for business users.
That's a bummer. The roundabout way works, but is grossly overkill for what I need it for.

Thanks for the suggestion anyway. Appreciate it.
Chetan_Rao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 07:15   #20183
BHPian
 
Astonite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Chennai
Posts: 144
Thanked: 73 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anyone using Moto 360 or Galaxy Gear S? If so, it would be helpful if someone can pen down on what to expect, its pros and cons.
Astonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 10:05   #20184
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,355
Thanked: 18,938 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Got the Moto X new 32GB variant from Flipkart!!

It's a beauty. almost the same size as my S3 and the metallic finish is superb. Exactly what I needed.

Having some difficulty with getting a nano sim in Bangalore as they say it's run out. Tried chopping the micro sim but the shop guy trimmed a little too much resulting in flaky contact.

Will wait for the real nano sim to be in stock till I start using it full time
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 10:11   #20185
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 183
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Got the Moto X new 32GB variant from Flipkart!!

It's a beauty. almost the same size as my S3 and the metallic finish is superb. Exactly what I needed.

time
Hope its the black one , any idea about 4g compatibility in India ?
I have mailed flipkart regarding 4g , the product description says 3g .
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 10:31   #20186
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,089
Thanked: 3,648 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Hope its the black one , any idea about 4g compatibility in India ?
I have mailed flipkart regarding 4g , the product description says 3g .
4G The only Pan India license is with reliance Jio. Expect a roll out in the nest few months, till then status quo continues.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 10:37   #20187
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,355
Thanked: 18,938 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Hope its the black one , any idea about 4g compatibility in India ?
I have mailed flipkart regarding 4g , the product description says 3g .
Yes. black one. They have Royal blue also now but I wasn't sure how blue would look in real.

4G LTE band 40 is doubtful on the Moto X I think.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 10:50   #20188
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 183
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I'm using the Moto G 1st gen and kindof happy with it , an upgrade to the X seems to be justified only with the roll out of 4g .
Nevertheless a beautiful phone !
Flipkart is coming out with a Pure edition ,which I guess is compatible with the Indian LTE bands , any thoughts will be of help .
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 11:24   #20189
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 583
Thanked: 461 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by slalom View Post
Flipkart is coming out with a Pure edition ,which I guess is compatible with the Indian LTE bands , any thoughts will be of help .
You mean pure edition of Moto X2 ? Where did you get the info? What I know so far is that they launched 32 GB version of the X2.

About the 4G, the Moto X2 supports band 1800 and Indina 4G runs on 2300 AFAIK. this is what I got to know when I contacted the Moto and Flipkart customer care guys. But they said that the 4G will work with Airtel, though I am not sure. Indian MotoX2 thread on XDA also indicates that the current 4G won't run on the MotoX. But the 4G will be available on the band 1800 also in the future.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 25th December 2014 at 11:29.
tbppjpr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th December 2014, 12:24   #20190
BHPian
 
slalom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: " Deep " in God's Own Country !!
Posts: 183
Thanked: 88 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I came across the "pure edition " of the Moto X2 somewhere while researching , I gathered that this will be the one which will be 4G compatible in India.

Unless band 1800 rolls out no point in getting a Moto X2 especially in Kerala .
slalom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:04.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks