Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 28th February 2015, 17:08   #20806
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
I had my Mi4 16GB replaced within a week with a new one due to heating issues. After upgrading to 6.3.9 on the first Mi4, was experiencing battery drain. So for the replacement, i have not yet updated.
Thanks. Did not update. All is well
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th February 2015, 18:22   #20807
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 636 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
Try this
http://exxecsoft.com/motoflasher.php
Flash the boot loader again. I guess it will do your work.
XDA thread
http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...asher-t2959076
I had tried that too - it's a UI for the blank-flash bat scripts. Sadly, it doesn't have the files necessary to flash 5.0 bootloader. Only supports 4.3,4.4.2,4.4.4 versions of Moto bootloader. There are several people on the XDA forums with bricked MotoGs waiting for the day when someone would generate these files for us all.

Thanks a lot!
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 02:46   #20808
BHPian
 
omar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 40
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Mi4 owners, had a few questions:

-How bad is the heating problem?
-How is the call quality?
-Audio quality through earphones?

Can't decide between the Mi4 and One Plus One. My primary use will be calls and music.
omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 09:39   #20809
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 552
Thanked: 149 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post

Can someone please suggest a decent phone in a 10K-15K budget? It'd be great if I could actually be able to root and/or install custom ROMs easily.
You can try Yu Yureka. Sells on Amazon through flash sales. I am using it for last 3 weeks. Excellent phone. Best of all, you can flash all the custom ROMs without voiding warranty. Comes with CM11 out of the box.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 11:16   #20810
BHPian
 
Speed.Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kochi/Manama
Posts: 234
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
You can try Yu Yureka. Sells on Amazon through flash sales. I am using it for last 3 weeks. Excellent phone. Best of all, you can flash all the custom ROMs without voiding warranty. Comes with CM11 out of the box.
How good is the Yureka's build quality and the camera?

Micromax usually doesn't fare very well in those departments.
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st March 2015, 13:22   #20811
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Pune
Posts: 552
Thanked: 149 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed.Demon View Post
How good is the Yureka's build quality and the camera?

Micromax usually doesn't fare very well in those departments.
Build feels good, similar to budget phones in 10k budget. I have taken few pictures but I don't have much experience with mobile cameras to pass a judgement.

The positives of this phone to me are, big screen, 2 gig ram, CM rom, lightweight for its size in below 10k budget. Similar spec'ed phones from big manufacturers were upwards of 20k.
shipnil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 10:53   #20812
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/htc-one-m...531473-11.html

Awaiting more details of the htc One M9 20MP rear camera - WOW..
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:35   #20813
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 661
Thanked: 652 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/htc-one-m...531473-11.html

Awaiting more details of the htc One M9 20MP rear camera - WOW..
GSMArena says:

Quote:
The new 20MP camera produces nice-looking photos but they are hardly the best thing since sliced bread. The dynamic range is nothing spectacular. Low light, high ISO performance is appalling. Of course, we are dealing with a pre-release model here and camera performance is bound to be improved in the next software revisions.
I don't think I'd ever see a day when HTC outs a phone with a good camera.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 11:44   #20814
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Some are here http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/t...w/46422033.cms

Two things attract me - Sapphire rear lens, and a uSD slot. Octa-core, 64-bit is now becoming standard. Runs Sense 7!

@civic-sense; I always thought that at normal lighting the camera was superb. This is where it 'fixed' the iPhone.

Last edited by sgiitk : 2nd March 2015 at 11:46.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:25   #20815
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Mi4 owners, had a few questions:

-How bad is the heating problem?
-How is the call quality?
-Audio quality through earphones?

Can't decide between the Mi4 and One Plus One. My primary use will be calls and music.
Having used a Samsung S2 before. Upgraded now from a Sony Xperia ZR.

Phone does heat up but nothing too alarming. All phones heat up. My S2 also got warm. So did the ZR. This heats up less in fact.

Have used Wifi+3g and 3g+ GPS. No complaints.

Call quality is good.

No complaints in the earphone quality either. (Am not an audiophile).

Display is better than One Plus One (We have 2 in my family).

Why to buy this phone?
1) The Metal frame. - The premium feel is fantastic.
2) The display - Compared to an S5. I find this sharper/better. The colours are very amoled like (Which I like)
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:38   #20816
BHPian
 
Speed.Demon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kochi/Manama
Posts: 234
Thanked: 383 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

So, the Galaxy S6 is out.

Metal frame, glass body and a 2K AMOLED display. I have a feeling this is going to be a blockbuster hit for Samsung. Let's wait and watch.
Speed.Demon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:41   #20817
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar View Post
Mi4 owners, had a few questions:

-How bad is the heating problem?
-How is the call quality?
-Audio quality through earphones?

Can't decide between the Mi4 and One Plus One. My primary use will be calls and music.
I did not go with the OP One since i wanted a 5inch screen and IR function.

Heating -depends on the handset you get. My first Mi4 was getting hot beyond comfortable limits during charging and cpu intense tasks. The metal frame accentuates the heat felt. I also feel that not upgrading to 6.3.9 helps a lot.

Call quality is good., similar to S4 / S5.

Decent audio quality, but i felt the S4 slightly better here. Getting 2+ days on a single charge. Mi4 has better WiFi reception compared to my S4 (i9505). Mi4 build quality is better as well.
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:47   #20818
BHPian
 
omar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 40
Thanked: 15 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
Having used a Samsung S2 before. Upgraded now from a Sony Xperia ZR.

Phone does heat up but nothing too alarming. All phones heat up. My S2 also got warm. So did the ZR. This heats up less in fact.

Have used Wifi+3g and 3g+ GPS. No complaints.

Call quality is good.

No complaints in the earphone quality either. (Am not an audiophile).

Display is better than One Plus One (We have 2 in my family).

Why to buy this phone?
1) The Metal frame. - The premium feel is fantastic.
2) The display - Compared to an S5. I find this sharper/better. The colours are very amoled like (Which I like)
Thanks for the detailed comparison. I agree, the Mi4 screen looks absolutely gorgeous compared to the OPO and a massive upgrade from the TFT Sony screens

I too am upgrading from my Xperia Z. It also heated up, but the heating was very minimal and was limited to the area round the back camera, so I didn't really feel it as the holding position was below the camera.

What concerns me is that I've been seeing people complaining about the entire metal frame of the Mi4 getting heated. This could be a problem for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
I did not go with the OP One since i wanted a 5inch screen and IR function.

Heating -depends on the handset you get. My first Mi4 was getting hot beyond comfortable limits during charging and cpu intense tasks. The metal frame accentuates the heat felt. I also feel that not upgrading to 6.3.9 helps a lot.

Call quality is good., similar to S4 / S5.

Decent audio quality, but i felt the S4 slightly better here. Getting 2+ days on a single charge. Mi4 has better WiFi reception compared to my S4 (i9505). Mi4 build quality is better as well.
5.5 seems big for me too. Call quality was a big concern for me, since all Chinese budget phones I used had call quality which was inferior (in terms of volume) to my Xperia Z.

Battery life seems awesome on the Mi4 as youve described it, and I didn't know about the Wifi reception as well. I'm leaning towards the Mi4 now

Last edited by omar : 2nd March 2015 at 14:56. Reason: Would he to post two replies
omar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:50   #20819
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 661
Thanked: 652 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@civic-sense; I always thought that at normal lighting the camera was superb. This is where it 'fixed' the iPhone.
I don't think so. In fact it was slightly better at low light due to its larger pixels. At normal light, it was a disaster.

See the gsmarena comparisons:

Name:  htcapple.png
Views: 354
Size:  559.0 KB

Moreover HTC was notorious for bad camera quality right from the Desire days.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:57   #20820
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I must say my M7 has only one issue, impossible to focus in low light. Otherwise it is great, but beiing old fashioned i prefer my Canon Rangefinder.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 21:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks