Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 25th March 2015, 21:30   #21001
BHPian
 
driverace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 407
Thanked: 142 Times
Post Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just ordered the Moto G2 @ 9899 INR
(10999 list price on Flipkart - 10% by using Axis card).

I watched lot of comparisons between Redmi Note 4G, Moto G2, Zenphone5, Samsung S3 Neo.

I know, after a while, I always resort back to a very minimalist interface - as much possible, hence did not bother with MIUI stock.
Zenphone5 lacks compass (need it for proper navigation)
S3 avoided based on reviews & my bias against Samsung.

In addition to stock android, the overall package seems fit for my requirement.

This phone should be my primary phone for a good 3 years, minimum.

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 25th March 2015 at 21:37.
driverace is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 06:34   #21002
BHPian
 
Gokrish's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Chennai and AR
Posts: 289
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Any idea whether Redmi 1s bought in India will work with carriers in USA? Need to decide between iOS and Android.
Gokrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 06:59   #21003
BHPian
 
djpeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 603
Thanked: 735 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokrish View Post
Any idea whether Redmi 1s bought in India will work with carriers in USA? Need to decide between iOS and Android.
The 3G should work on AT&T or T Mobile. You won't get 4g though.
djpeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 07:24   #21004
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,624
Thanked: 3,666 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

How to do file transfer (photos & videos) between LG G3 and Macbook? At now when I connect the photo via USB, itís not detected as a drive on the Mac.
Thank you!
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 07:38   #21005
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,475
Thanked: 8,366 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
How to do file transfer (photos & videos) between LG G3 and Macbook? At now when I connect the photo via USB, it’s not detected as a drive on the Mac.
Thank you!
Install Android File Transfer on the MAC. And then when ever you connect the phone via Phone cable, you can mount the filesystem of the phone on the MAC. Then drag and drop.

Another simpler method is to install Air-Droid on your phone. Then through your home wifi, the app can connect to your computer. And you can remote operate the phone from your browser on the computer. This way again you drag/drop your photos/other content on to your MAC.

I have used both. They both work. I use Android file transfer for higher capacity files. (Like lots of music). For snaps/videos I use Airdroid. Its quite convenient.

Last edited by ampere : 26th March 2015 at 07:39.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 07:58   #21006
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,624
Thanked: 3,666 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Install Android File Transfer on the MAC. And then when ever you connect the phone via Phone cable, you can mount the filesystem of the phone on the MAC. Then drag and drop.

Another simpler method is to install Air-Droid on your phone. Then through your home wifi, the app can connect to your computer. And you can remote operate the phone from your browser on the computer. This way again you drag/drop your photos/other content on to your MAC.

I have used both. They both work. I use Android file transfer for higher capacity files. (Like lots of music). For snaps/videos I use Airdroid. Its quite convenient.
Hey, thanks a lot. I will try both the options this evening
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th March 2015, 11:34   #21007
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Vijayawada
Posts: 221
Thanked: 66 Times
Default

Guys need suggestion. I'm using the Inbox app from Google and unable to download any attachments (JPG,pdf) from the emails. I can download them from the Gmail app without any issue. Same issue on my phone as well as on my tab. What could be the reason? Thanks in advance.
vvrchandra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 07:04   #21008
BHPian
 
Gandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 960
Thanked: 199 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys need suggestion. I'm using the Inbox app from Google and unable to download any attachments (JPG,pdf) from the emails. I can download them from the Gmail app without any issue. Same issue on my phone as well as on my tab. What could be the reason? Thanks in advance.
When I open the attachment on phone, I get an option to save it locally. On Web, there is a download button when you open the attachment.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1427506468273.jpg
Gandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th March 2015, 08:47   #21009
BHPian
 
abhjain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 203
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvrchandra View Post
Guys need suggestion. I'm using the Inbox app from Google and unable to download any attachments (JPG,pdf) from the emails. I can download them from the Gmail app without any issue. Same issue on my phone as well as on my tab. What could be the reason? Thanks in advance.

There seems to be an issue with the Inbox app, I am also facing the same problem in iOS as well as android.
abhjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 11:54   #21010
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Would you guys recommend the AndroidOne phones ? I am wondering if I should purchase the Karbonn Sparkle AndroidOne device - currently running at less than 5K online. I'm basically looking at this as a stop-gap measure while I get my MotoG unbricked (Moto must release firmware). I desperately need Wifi/Data/Whatsapp, touchscreen typing, etc.

Really having a hard time with a basic phone (typing on this is a nightmare!) after screwing up my MotoG.

Anyone here have a Redmi2.. ? Can you please share your feedback? We already own a Redmi1S and a Note in the house and happy with both devices.

Last edited by hellmet : 30th March 2015 at 11:56.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2015, 16:33   #21011
BHPian
 
adhiraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: BLR/CCU
Posts: 62
Thanked: 4 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hi Tech gurus,

I have a nexus7 without a sim slot. I am currrently using a MTS Mblaze dongle which does not have a sim either.

Is there any way to surf the net using the dongle?

I connected through the donlge to the tab using an OTG, but under settings, (to configure APN) I am unable to get the option of mobile n/w due to absence of Sim.

Any alternate ways to get it connected? Thanks
adhiraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 14:00   #21012
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Bloomington, IN
Posts: 198
Thanked: 145 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Would you guys recommend the AndroidOne phones ?
Yes. It's a very good phone. Decent build quality, comfortable to hold, responsive interface. A downside however is the poor quality camera.
amolbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 15:15   #21013
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Thank you. I bought one for someone in my family during today's sale.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 17:32   #21014
BHPian
 
Geo_Ipe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vellore
Posts: 389
Thanked: 330 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Need to gift my dad a new Android.

Requirements:
Small screen - max 4.5" (dad is not a fan of chunky mobiles)
Light enough
Need an above average camera
Needn't be ultra quick/responsive - usage will be moderate
Reliable - I don't want him to visit a service station for > 2 years at least
Android version doesn't matter too much!

Suggestions are welcome!
Geo_Ipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st March 2015, 17:38   #21015
BHPian
 
abhjain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 203
Thanked: 59 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Need to gift my dad a new Android.

Requirements:
Small screen - max 4.5" (dad is not a fan of chunky mobiles)
Light enough
Need an above average camera
Needn't be ultra quick/responsive - usage will be moderate
Reliable - I don't want him to visit a service station for > 2 years at least
Android version doesn't matter too much!

Suggestions are welcome!
Go for a moto E without doubt.
abhjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:49.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks