Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2015, 21:51   #21151
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
May I know if you used 3G service during those couple of days? The screen might pull life off the battery but the 3G connection is the main culprit here.
Yeah, whenever I am away from home or office, it is 3G all the way.

Look at the endurance rating at the end: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5705
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 22:33   #21152
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 859
Thanked: 703 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Yeah, whenever I am away from home or office, it is 3G all the way.

Look at the endurance rating at the end: http://www.gsmarena.com/compare.php3...&idPhone2=5705
Almost triple! Sounds great. Think the 720P screen and the extra 300mAH in battery capacity is helping matters. Surprising to note though that the Moto Droid Turbo with the 3900mAH battery still falls short of the endurance number of Xperia Z3 Compact.

From my end, I see an increase in battery life post 5.0 upgrade although the reviews state otherwise.

Do keep us posted on the software upgrade for the phone as it happens.

Cheers!
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 22:42   #21153
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Almost triple! Sounds great. Think the 720P screen and the extra 300mAH in battery capacity is helping matters.
I upped my budget from 15K to 25K only because of battery life and the IP68 protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Do keep us posted on the software upgrade for the phone as it happens.
What upgrade? I updated to Andorid 5.0.2 the day I got it.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 23:22   #21154
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 859
Thanked: 703 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I upped my budget from 15K to 25K only because of battery life and the IP68 protection.

What upgrade? I updated to Andorid 5.0.2 the day I got it.
That is the upgrade I am mentioning. I saw it was mentioned as Kitkat 4.4.4 in the specs. Good that Lollipop is already out for this phone.

Just wanted to know how well the updates are supported by Sony and how it compared to Google marketed phones in that aspect. I am on 5.1 now.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 23:29   #21155
Senior - BHPian
 
khoj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Dilli
Posts: 2,722
Thanked: 1,253 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Got it, thank You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
But you should be willing to let go warranty. There are numerous sellers on eBay selling imported pieces without Sony warranty, but store warranty. That saves nearly 10K on the price. Just make sure it is D8533 which has the right LTE band for India.
Samurai, would you mind sharing the seller/shop details. I have been looking at the same phone but the lowest price I have managed thus far is 34K in physical stores and 33 odd online. Getting it at 25K would be fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I upped my budget from 15K to 25K only because of battery life and the IP68 protection.

What upgrade? I updated to Andorid 5.0.2 the day I got it.

Last edited by khoj : 21st April 2015 at 23:47.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2015, 23:42   #21156
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
Just wanted to know how well the updates are supported by Sony and how it compared to Google marketed phones in that aspect. I am on 5.1 now.
Sony had rolled out Lollipop before I bought the phone. I just had to download using the Sony PC application, they don't have OTA upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Samurai, would you mind sharing the seller/shop details. I have been looking at the same phone but the lowest price I have managed thus far is 34K in physical stores and 33 odd online. Getting it at 25K would be fantastic.
But you should be willing to let go warranty. There are numerous sellers on eBay selling imported pieces without Sony warranty, but store warranty. That saves nearly 10K on the price. Just make sure it is D8533 which has the right LTE band for India.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 00:26   #21157
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,115
Thanked: 3,489 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post


Just wanted to know how well the updates are supported by Sony and how it compared to Google marketed phones in that aspect. I am on 5.1 now.
Sony is one of ,if not the, laziest in rolling out upgrades. If you're on their current flagship, expect 1-2 updates, and then you have to go to xda. I speak from pure sony usage since x1.
If being on top of the most current flavor is your priority, this road is closed.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 09:27   #21158
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 859
Thanked: 703 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Sony had rolled out Lollipop before I bought the phone. I just had to download using the Sony PC application, they don't have OTA upgrade.
Glad to hear that. My friend had a Z1 (I think) and would regularly flaunt its waterproof capabilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankk View Post
Sony is one of ,if not the, laziest in rolling out upgrades. If you're on their current flagship, expect 1-2 updates, and then you have to go to xda. I speak from pure sony usage since x1.
If being on top of the most current flavor is your priority, this road is closed.
I agree! I knew about it when I bought the LG P500. Some of the Sony phones were stuck on 1.6 version whereas this one came with Froyo. But with Google aiming to get most of the phones to the latest software and reducing the size of the OS, I hope things are a little better now.

This is one area Apple owns Android. I have an iPad 3, the first one to come with retina screen. I got it with version 4 of the OS and now I am upto iOS 8.3. The thing works just like day1 (touch wood). Hoping Nexus 5 can match it as well.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 09:52   #21159
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,963
Thanked: 2,211 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anyone got Android 5.0 update on HTC Desire 816
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:05   #21160
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post
This is one area Apple owns Android. I have an iPad 3, the first one to come with retina screen. I got it with version 4 of the OS and now I am upto iOS 8.3. The thing works just like day1 (touch wood). Hoping Nexus 5 can match it as well.
Nexus devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, which is usually around 18 months after a device has been released.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en

whereas its ~3 years with Apple AFAIK.

on top of it, apple will happily supply you the oldest version of any software compatible with YOUR OS version as opposed to android where every software will necessarily be the latest one when you download it from the app store.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 10:35   #21161
BHPian
 
SchumiFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 859
Thanked: 703 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Nexus devices may not receive the latest version of Android if they fall outside of the update window, which is usually around 18 months after a device has been released.

https://support.google.com/nexus/answer/4457705?hl=en

whereas its ~3 years with Apple AFAIK.

on top of it, apple will happily supply you the oldest version of any software compatible with YOUR OS version as opposed to android where every software will necessarily be the latest one when you download it from the app store.
I got an update this April, will have to see if I get any further updates later this year. They still haven't fixed the memory leak issue with 5.0. I hope I am not forced to live with it if I don't upgrade to N6. I am not into rooting stuff and have stuck to manufactuer provided software for all this while.

The news about Apple giving the version of apps compatible with my OS version sounds good and incredibly useful. Will move to Apple devices if N5 doesn't get updates after this year.

But one thing that puzzles me is how N4 got Android 5.0 update. It was launched in Oct 2012 and by mid of 2014, the 18 month period would have set in. Ideally they shouldn't have got this update. Maybe they are not strict in their implementation?

Last edited by SchumiFan : 22nd April 2015 at 10:37.
SchumiFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:20   #21162
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,381
Thanked: 14,302 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

After 74 hours, I am at 13%. May be I should charge now. Love this Stamina mode.

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-battery-.png
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 12:26   #21163
Senior - BHPian
 
mayankk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 4,115
Thanked: 3,489 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
After 74 hours, I am at 13%. May be I should charge now. Love this Stamina mode.
That's Sony stamina mode for you.
For others who want the same functionality,you can use 2 battery on Google Play.
mayankk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 13:20   #21164
KRN
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 76
Thanked: 56 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchumiFan View Post

But one thing that puzzles me is how N4 got Android 5.0 update. It was launched in Oct 2012 and by mid of 2014, the 18 month period would have set in. Ideally they shouldn't have got this update. Maybe they are not strict in their implementation?

It is strictly not 18 months. But in general, Apple updates its devices faster and supports them for a longer period than nexus.
KRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2015, 14:08   #21165
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: -
Posts: 858
Thanked: 1,002 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
The latest update brings back the close all button. Attachment 1362574
Thanks! Is it a separate update? I'm trying to figure out how to get it because I didn't get in mine.
swiftdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 15:16.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks