Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2015, 15:30   #21481
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anyone using a Nexus7 2012 and fed up with lags and slowness should give Dirty Unicorns ROM a try. It is still Lollipop but it runs very very fast and lag-free. There was an occasional crash the first few hours of setting up but it is quite stable now. I'm so glad I can have Lollipop on such an "old" device without having to suffer the lags.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 21:53   #21482
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 673
Thanked: 682 Times
Default

My nexus 7 2012 was extremely slow and laggy. I searched around amd found a rom which makes use of f2fs. I rooted, installed recovery, installed the rom, gapps, and to my it didnt boot. I rebooted to recovey, but it refused to move beyond the bootloader. Tried flashing recovery again, but ended with error. Tried flashing a stock rom, but it failed while writing to boot. Finally the power drained and it stopped charging too. So I have my own brick now. My first brick in more than a 100 rom flashings. Sigh!

Last edited by civic-sense : 27th June 2015 at 21:55.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 22:08   #21483
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My nexus 7 2012 was extremely slow and laggy. I searched around amd found a rom which makes use of f2fs. I rooted, installed recovery, installed the rom, gapps, and to my it didnt boot. I rebooted to recovey, but it refused to move beyond the bootloader. Tried flashing recovery again, but ended with error. Tried flashing a stock rom, but it failed while writing to boot. Finally the power drained and it stopped charging too. So I have my own brick now. My first brick in more than a 100 rom flashings. Sigh!
Did you try spflash tools for flashing the stock ROM? It should do the task. You can charge battery after removing it from phone in a DOG charger.
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 08:38   #21484
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 673
Thanked: 682 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
Did you try spflash tools for flashing the stock ROM? It should do the task. You can charge battery after removing it from phone in a DOG charger.
Well, the nexus has a non-removable battery. But maybe I'd try to pry it open. BTW, what is DOG charger?
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 10:09   #21485
Senior - BHPian
 
mercedised's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Indore
Posts: 1,061
Thanked: 155 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
Well, the nexus has a non-removable battery. But maybe I'd try to pry it open. BTW, what is DOG charger?
That external charger in which we remove the battery from mobile and charge through this charger. It is known by many names, Universal mobile battery charger/Dog charger/Jadoo charger.

BTW, you did'nt answered if you tried flashing via spflash tools?
mercedised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 13:34   #21486
BHPian
 
hellmet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: GTA
Posts: 810
Thanked: 637 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My nexus 7 2012 was extremely slow and laggy. I searched around amd found a rom which makes use of f2fs. I rooted, installed recovery, installed the rom, gapps, and to my it didnt boot. I rebooted to recovey, but it refused to move beyond the bootloader. Tried flashing recovery again, but ended with error. Tried flashing a stock rom, but it failed while writing to boot. Finally the power drained and it stopped charging too. So I have my own brick now. My first brick in more than a 100 rom flashings. Sigh!
Strange. To me, Nexus devices are almost unbrickable. Would you mind if I gave it a try? If you know someone who's heading to Hyderabad, I'd be happy to pick it up and try bringing it back to life, as a challenge.

I tried F2FS and went back to EXT4 for Dirty Unicorns ROM. Did you also format /system as F2FS ?

(I've had my fair share of bricked devices in my history, ranging from a Moto G to a Kindle Fire)

Last edited by hellmet : 28th June 2015 at 13:36.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 13:42   #21487
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 673
Thanked: 682 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercedised View Post
That external charger in which we remove the battery from mobile and charge through this charger. It is known by many names, Universal mobile battery charger/Dog charger/Jadoo charger.

BTW, you did'nt answered if you tried flashing via spflash tools?
No. I used the flash_all script that came with the stock rom. Since the nexus came without a removable battery, I doubt whether there would be any external battery chargers available for it.


Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Strange. To me, Nexus devices are almost unbrickable. Would you mind if I gave it a try? If you know someone who's heading to Hyderabad, I'd be happy to pick it up and try bringing it back to life, as a challenge.

I tried F2FS and went back to EXT4 for Dirty Unicorns ROM. Did you also format /system as F2FS ?

(I've had my fair share of bricked devices in my history, ranging from a Moto G to a Kindle Fire)
Yes, I used TWRP to convert the data and cache partitions to f2fs. After flasing the custom rom (optipop), on booting, it sat at the boot animation for quite long. I connected to comp to see the logcat but it showed "waiting for device". So I reset it. After that it wudnt move beyond the bootloader.

Let me see if I can find somebody traveling to hyd.

Last edited by civic-sense : 28th June 2015 at 14:03.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 15:37   #21488
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,903
Thanked: 2,057 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Every now and then I am suffering from insufficient storage problem on by HTC Desire 816. Though I have 16GB SD card, the 4GB internal memory fills up so fast that even updating normal apps triggers the insufficient storage error. I havent installed any games. most of the apps are moved to sd card. All data, music, photos, movies are on sd card. I don't understand how 4gb space is being used up so quickly that I have to factory reset the phone deleting all apps to make space again.

Any pointers?
bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 16:40   #21489
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,191
Thanked: 7,644 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Every now and then I am suffering from insufficient storage problem on by HTC Desire 816. Though I have 16GB SD card, the 4GB internal memory fills up so fast that even updating normal apps triggers the insufficient storage error. I havent installed any games. most of the apps are moved to sd card. All data, music, photos, movies are on sd card. I don't understand how 4gb space is being used up so quickly that I have to factory reset the phone deleting all apps to make space again.

Any pointers?
I had a similar problem on my nexus 4. Although I cleaned and deleted a lot of stuff, I was always short on memory. Tried cleaning apps like clean master. Did not really help. Then I tried an app File Manager by cheetah mobile. This had a storage analyzer and threw up a lot of Google folders taking gb's of space. Could not figure how important they were, but went ahead and deleted. Did not face any issues and was able to recover 4gb of space.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 17:59   #21490
Senior - BHPian
 
bluevolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 2,903
Thanked: 2,057 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
I had a similar problem on my nexus 4. Although I cleaned and deleted a lot of stuff, I was always short on memory. Tried cleaning apps like clean master. Did not really help. Then I tried an app File Manager by cheetah mobile. This had a storage analyzer and threw up a lot of Google folders taking gb's of space. Could not figure how important they were, but went ahead and deleted. Did not face any issues and was able to recover 4gb of space.
Installed that app and analysed the space. have a look at the screenshot. The maximum sized folder is around 170+ mb. Still unable to make out how 4 gb is almost occupied.
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-1435494562916.jpg  

bluevolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 18:28   #21491
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 583
Thanked: 460 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Installed that app and analysed the space. have a look at the screenshot. The maximum sized folder is around 170+ mb. Still unable to make out how 4 gb is almost occupied.
Follow these steps:

Go in Settings>Storage (steps in plain android, may differ in HTC interface)
It will take few seconds to show up which part of the phone has occupied how much space. Scroll down and note how much space 'cache' has occupied. If you tap on 'cache', it will warn to clear it, click yes/ok. It should free up significant space for you if you haven't done it in the recent past.

You can also give a try to formatting the cache. Try to google steps for accessing boot menu and cache formatting options for your device.

Also look out if you have imported data via Bluetooth, that usually comes and stores in the internal memory.
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 18:39   #21492
BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: MSP, MN
Posts: 826
Thanked: 1,066 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Does anyone know an app that can play my music (which on the SD card) through FM Radio so that I can share with others and car's Radio? ( This is similar to what my old Nokias used to have)

Yes, dad's 2007 Innova has no BT/AUX in the stock system and my FM transmitter is dead.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 19:36   #21493
BHPian
 
rajivr1612's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chennai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 246 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
.
Hi, quoting to get your attention.

I had asked this query earlier but didn't get any reply.

Whenever I download books from Google playbooks on my galaxy tab s, I am able to read it offline.

But on my new Lenovo A6000+ I am not able to read offline.

Could you throw some light please?
rajivr1612 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 19:41   #21494
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Rajeevraj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,191
Thanked: 7,644 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Installed that app and analysed the space. have a look at the screenshot. The maximum sized folder is around 170+ mb. Still unable to make out how 4 gb is almost occupied.
Sorry that was not helpful for you. In my case that Android folder showed several gb's and I was able to clear up from it. Another culprit was the forumrunnerteambhp folder which showed cached images worth 1.5 gb.

Not sure if the fact that the nexus 4 runs stock Android makes a difference as to how the storage analysis is done.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 19:52   #21495
BHPian
 
tbppjpr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: India
Posts: 583
Thanked: 460 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivr1612 View Post
Whenever I download books from Google playbooks on my galaxy tab s, I am able to read it offline.

But on my new Lenovo A6000+ I am not able to read offline.
I don't use google books so NIL experience on that topic but as per my understanding, you will have to finish up downloading on the device you want to to read on.

Make sure full downloading of the book has finished up on your Lenovo, if its partially downloaded then might be you face issues in accessing offline.

Another reason I can guess maybe the troubling content is the one which is DRM locked or licensed one. In that case maybe it supports downloading only on one device?

Maybe someone else having experience with books can help on this topic more precisely.

Anyone?
tbppjpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« The iPhone Thread | - »

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:46.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks