Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th March 2011, 22:33   #2146
BHPian
 
ajman28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 281
Thanked: 22 Times
Default Help required for Galaxy 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Galaxy 3 had this issue, and XDA guys released a patch. Now even samsung has released a patch and issues are sorted.
Ace has no such issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
If you are a galaxy 3 owner, you can get the latest update from Samsung website.
Please let me know how to update the firmware or get this patch? I got the latest update for kies (downloaded it today) and the software says there is no update for the version which I am using.

Presently I am facing two major issues with the phone:

1. The calls get dropped quite often. I dont think this is a network related issue since when I use the same sim on another phone there is no problem.
2. The GPS never gets a lock on the satellites.

I am hoping that a firmware update will sort out both issues. I am not a real expert when it comes to softwares, so I am keeping the Froyo update (as mentioned in an earlier post by someone) as a last resort.

Please suggest on how to proceed.

Regards,
Aj
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 22:37   #2147
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,019
Thanked: 447 Times
Default Re: Help required for Galaxy 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Please let me know how to update the firmware or get this patch? I got the latest update for kies (downloaded it today) and the software says there is no update for the version which I am using.

Presently I am facing two major issues with the phone:

1. The calls get dropped quite often. I dont think this is a network related issue since when I use the same sim on another phone there is no problem.
2. The GPS never gets a lock on the satellites.

I am hoping that a firmware update will sort out both issues. I am not a real expert when it comes to softwares, so I am keeping the Froyo update (as mentioned in an earlier post by someone) as a last resort.

Please suggest on how to proceed.

Regards,
Aj

1. According to Samfirmware, official Froyo update is expected in March, although its not confirmed.
2. GPS issue is a known issue in Galaxy 3 with Eclair platform. Please install GPSBooster lite and run it prior to running any GPS application like maps etc. Works well.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 22:38   #2148
BHPian
 
gupta_chd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Ludhiana/Chandigarh
Posts: 156
Thanked: 39 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Is this for real ? Which Nokia comes with Gorilla glass.
I believe many Nokias come with Gorilla glass display. c7, c6-01, n8 to name a few.

Dont know about other things you mentioned.
gupta_chd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 23:29   #2149
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 384 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guzzler View Post
Cool NC, which one did u finally go for?
The LG Optimus P 500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
i downloaded the renamed brut maps from the link clevermax gave but its not installing. What now guys?help
Add to that the LG PC Suite on the SD card simply refuses to recognize my phone !!

Now what ?
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th March 2011, 23:51   #2150
BHPian
 
jatinpatel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 610
Thanked: 191 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@DCEite

when i gave my Galaxy 3 to service center for the mishap that i had mentioned earlier, they installed new version of Eclair which says 2.1Update1 and all my issues of call drop and GPS are fixed. and cell is faster now too in opening and processing apps and maps are way better than before.

one question
Does Loop Support 3G?
jatinpatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 00:23   #2151
BHPian
 
ajman28's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 281
Thanked: 22 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jatinpatel View Post
@DCEite

when i gave my Galaxy 3 to service center for the mishap that i had mentioned earlier, they installed new version of Eclair which says 2.1Update1 and all my issues of call drop and GPS are fixed. and cell is faster now too in opening and processing apps and maps are way better than before.
Can this be done with Kies (without going to the service centre)?
ajman28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 06:39   #2152
BHPian
 
sanagg1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: HIMALYAS
Posts: 274
Thanked: 2 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
The LG Optimus P 500.


Add to that the LG PC Suite on the SD card simply refuses to recognize my phone !!

Now what ?
Try uncheck "Mass storage only USB" option under setting>sd card and phone storage>mass storage only

Cheers

P.S -this was compulsory setting for first time connecting to pc, did you follow that ?
sanagg1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 09:34   #2153
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

guys anyone using swype? I installed it yesterday. Great thing to type, love the way it eases your typing. But I feel it drains battery too much.. Had full charge yesterday night at 11.45 pm and now the phone is showing 77% :(

EDIT: typed using swype

Last edited by clevermax : 5th March 2011 at 09:36.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 10:07   #2154
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 41
Thanked: 8 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Having used Galaxy S 9300 for past couple of days, i am finding some interesting features and would like to share it.

For example the 'All Share' app which essentially is a DLNA client/server app.
If you have Wi-Fi enabled PC with a DLNA Server.
(A PC with Windows 7 provides this 'Media Server' feature)
It allows :
1) Playback of media on Phone(phone acts as the server) to another player on the network.(I play it on my Panasonic Plasma)
2) Play file from a server(for example a PC) on the phone(phone acts as a client)
3) Play file from server on another player via the phone. (Haven't tried this)
djkher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 10:17   #2155
Senior - BHPian
 
Fordmanchau's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,663
Thanked: 291 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
guys anyone using swype? I installed it yesterday. Great thing to type, love the way it eases your typing. But I feel it drains battery too much.. Had full charge yesterday night at 11.45 pm and now the phone is showing 77%
EDIT: typed using swype
Hey Clevermax, I have not used swype. But I used the trial version of SlideIT keyboard but didn't experience any extra battery drain for that time.
Is this the trial version you have ? or have you bought it ?
I am back to using the default keyboard and I am not very happy. My previous Motorokr E6, used to give me a choice of keyboard for input, with handwriting recognition, number pad,qwerty keyboard or the historic Nokia's keyboard option.Worked well with me.:(

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 5th March 2011 at 10:18.
Fordmanchau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 11:20   #2156
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bombay
Posts: 955
Thanked: 90 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

>>>

To all experts here :

When is the Milestone 2 to be launched in India?
Will it have Gingerbread (2.3) or a higher version of Android?
On road price?

Regards, drive safe
issigonis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 12:04   #2157
BHPian
 
ricky_1605's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 316
Thanked: 42 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys i have a serious query, can anyone tell me how do people get phones from US so cheap? I just asked a friend to get me a Galaxy Ace from US (although it is for only 15k here) wondering i'll get that around 10-11k and he said it is for 380$ which is expensive than the indian price.
ricky_1605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 14:26   #2158
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,019
Thanked: 447 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
guys anyone using swype? I installed it yesterday. Great thing to type, love the way it eases your typing. But I feel it drains battery too much.. Had full charge yesterday night at 11.45 pm and now the phone is showing 77% :(

EDIT: typed using swype
I have been using swype quite extensively in my Samsung Galaxy 3. It came in built and i did not need to install any app for it. I don't think its draining too much battery.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 15:46   #2159
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,368
Thanked: 384 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanagg1 View Post
Try uncheck "Mass storage only USB" option under setting>sd card and phone storage>mass storage only

Cheers

P.S -this was compulsory setting for first time connecting to pc, did you follow that ?
Thanks Sanagg - this worked like a charm - I had turned on the mass storage mode when connecting the 1st time - forgot to turn it off
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th March 2011, 16:12   #2160
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,566
Thanked: 360 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I have been using swype quite extensively in my Samsung Galaxy 3. It came in built and i did not need to install any app for it. I don't think its draining too much battery.
Oh ok.... Then may be it's something else.. My brothers desire went down from 100 to 97 overnight snd mine from 100 to 77! Definitely there's something.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« The iPhone Thread | - »

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks