Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2016, 18:33   #22681
BHPian
 
chinmaybaikar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 92
Thanked: 67 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Folks,

what are the latest preferred power banks? I'm happy with my year old MI power bank (999 bucks) which does have some sort of quick charging.
I see Aukey has a certified quick charge 12000 mah power bank in 2799. Which one is the most recommended right now? Thanks in advance.
I have been using a Mi 16000mah power bank for some time now and will definitely recommend. Charges my nexus 4 for 6 times when it's fully charged. Also it has 2 USB ports so 2 devices can be charged simultaneously. I think it costs 1400/-
chinmaybaikar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 19:25   #22682
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,917
Thanked: 3,341 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Switching to 6.0 doesn't seem to have any battery benefits on my Moto G3 at least. I'm still losing about 10-12% overnight standby with data turned off.

I've played around with available settings, and the big bummer is Google Play Services being exempt from battery optimization. It was the biggest battery hogger under 5.x, so nothing's changed for me really. If anything, I've lost a couple of good Moto features in the bargain.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 21:42   #22683
BHPian
 
pixantz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 562
Thanked: 649 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by djpeesh View Post
I've got fed up with running around looking for chargers and power banks at conferences and day long events, where I need to do a lot of calling and emailing. My company has decided to scrap it's old blackberries and adopt a byod policy.

I was hoping to get a cheap phone that can just do email and calls (that's all), but should last ALL day with heavy usage.

Because I need to write long emails sometimes and multi-task while on call, it should be reasonably fast.

Oh, and yes. It should be cheap. I'm considering the Gionee Marathon M4, Asus Zenfone Max, Lenovo Vibe P1 and Vibe p1m. Any recommendations amongst these?

Close your eyes and go for the Lenovo Vibe P1. You'll be sorted. All I can say. 15,999/- online. Go for Amazon.
pixantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 22:41   #22684
BHPian
 
landcruiser123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: MSP, MN
Posts: 834
Thanked: 1,086 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I'm still losing about 10-12% overnight standby with data turned off.
That's shocking.
Are you trying to use some software to kill running apps? Or is your Wifi on? Find out the apps consuming battery in the battery use section.
Try restarting your phone before sleeping and don't use data/wifi after the restart.

If you're the geeky type, use greenify (works best with root) and hibernate apps.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th January 2016, 23:20   #22685
Senior - BHPian
 
dark.knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: India
Posts: 1,115
Thanked: 2,960 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
I've played around with available settings, and the big bummer is Google Play Services being exempt from battery optimization. It was the biggest battery hogger under 5.x, so nothing's changed for me really. If anything, I've lost a couple of good Moto features in the bargain
Strange, that much loss is unheard of, even in my previous Sony Android phone which I held on for an almost unheard of 3.5 years the stock battery lost about 6-7% max at night (data off). This seems to be a humongous software glitch and/or hardware issue.

My current Sony phone gives close to 4 days on single charge losing about 1-2% at night. Everyone seems to support stock/plain Android O.S but to me that also sounds like marketing gimmick unless the phone's hardware like processor/RAM/battery are suitable for the new OS update. Even with Sony skin on, my phone never lags, never gave me shorter than 2 days battery life and never rebooted. I think Lenovo should just go ahead & tune their own customizations into Android.
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 10:23   #22686
BHPian
 
sandsun7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 772
Thanked: 585 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Close your eyes and go for the Lenovo Vibe P1. You'll be sorted. All I can say. 15,999/- online. Go for Amazon.
lenovo Vibe P1 and P1m are sold exclusively through Flipkart.
Bought one for my wife recently. Initial impressions are good. The huge battery is the biggest USP. There was a hint of a UI lag but vanished after I set all animations off through the developer options.

Last edited by sandsun7 : 14th January 2016 at 10:25.
sandsun7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 13:49   #22687
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,839
Thanked: 7,203 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I continue to be happy with my new Moto Play X and Nova Launcher combination. I realise that the most fun I get out of a phone, ever, is these first few days of almost-OCD customisation and tweaking: after that it becomes just another utilitarian device.

For those wanting battery life, this phone seems to be a winner. Neither my Defy+ nor my m4i could really go without charging every night, but this phone, even with tweak-aholic screen on (but not gaming, movies, etc) seems to make it right up to the second night. And, when it doesn't, with a turbo charger, it is no big deal to get a good-enough charge if I realise it, say, half an hour before going out.

I still miss the aesthetics of the m4i, but the X Play is certainly the superior device.
Thad E Ginathom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 14:59   #22688
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,917
Thanked: 3,341 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
That's shocking.
Are you trying to use some software to kill running apps? Or is your Wifi on? Find out the apps consuming battery in the battery use section.
Try restarting your phone before sleeping and don't use data/wifi after the restart.

If you're the geeky type, use greenify (works best with root) and hibernate apps.
I barely ever use WiFi actually, most of my data use is cellular. As for apps, suffices to say I'll run out of apps before I run out of fingers to count. No dodgy stuff as far as I can tell, I used the same bunch on my previous much-maligned Samsung S3 and it would drop only 2-3% overnight with data off.

Google Play Services or some such Android junk is ALWAYS at the top of battery usage list. Same case when I was on 5.x and nothing's changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
Strange, that much loss is unheard of.......
I'm sort of getting sick of Android now. The promised improvements never really materialize unless I'm willing to sell an arm, leg and my left kidney to buy one of those flagships.

For comparison, the better half uses a Lumia 730 and except my usage of corporate email on ActiveSync, our usage and app consumption is pretty similar. I just looked at her phone's battery section today and it showed 30-odd percent remaining. The kicker, time since last charge showed: 5 days, xx hours. All this on a 2000-odd mAh battery, I could only dream of such backup.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th January 2016 at 15:03.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 18:35   #22689
Senior - BHPian
 
fiat_tarun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Pune / Mysore
Posts: 1,113
Thanked: 582 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

It's been about a week with the Nexus 6P and I'm getting used to the size much faster than I expected.
It is a lovely phone and the battery lasts a day with pretty heavy usage (~3.5 - 4 hrs screen on time). The fast charging makes it even better.
The camera takes very impressive low light shots, but I really haven't used it much.

I got a pretty good buyback for my 1st gen Moto X from reglobe.in - Rs.5500 for an almost 2 year old phone.

If anyone is considering the Nexus', there is a good deal on the google play store - 6P at 35K and discounts on the 5X too.
fiat_tarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 19:48   #22690
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 705
Thanked: 752 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I thought that a 15-20% drop in battery overnight is customary in an Android. My S3 and my Oneplus do lose about 20% overnight. I am surpised seeing that people are shocked. Am I doing smoething wrong with my phone?
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 20:01   #22691
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,917
Thanked: 3,341 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
I thought that a 15-20% drop in battery overnight is customary in an Android. My S3 and my Oneplus do lose about 20% overnight. I am surpised seeing that people are shocked. Am I doing smoething wrong with my phone?
Understandable if your phone is actually doing something (data ON and sync services active), but with data turned off and Android M supposedly having the Doze deep-sleep feature when left idle for longer periods, that sort of usage is shocking!

My biggest problem is it seems Android services that are exempted from battery mgmt. features are the culprits (not any of my other apps), and I can't really do anything to stop them without crippling features on my phone. Duh!
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 20:12   #22692
BHPian
 
civic-sense's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 705
Thanked: 752 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Understandable if your phone is actually doing something (data ON and sync services active), but with data turned off and Android M supposedly having the Doze deep-sleep feature when left idle for longer periods, that sort of usage is shocking!

My biggest problem is it seems Android services that are exempted from battery mgmt. features are the culprits (not any of my other apps), and I can't really do anything to stop them without crippling features on my phone. Duh!
At home I am always on WIFI, which means data is off, and sync is ON but syncs via WIFI. Is this battery saving feature only available in Marshmallow? Cos my OPO is still on Lollipop.
civic-sense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 20:40   #22693
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,917
Thanked: 3,341 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
At home I am always on WIFI, which means data is off, and sync is ON but syncs via WIFI. Is this battery saving feature only available in Marshmallow? Cos my OPO is still on Lollipop.
Yes, doze and other battery optimization tricks are supposedly marquee features of Android M but if the number of complaints online are any indication, it's not worked for everyone.

I updated to M only because there was nothing I could do on 5.x to stop any apps hogging my battery except disabling them. Turns out it's no different on M because some system apps (read Android/Google services) are exempt and allowed to override Doze.

I should've stuck to 5.1.1, but then the damn thing used to pop 'System Update available' every half hour or so, and there's no option to make it stop looking for updates, at least in stock Android.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 14th January 2016 at 20:44.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 21:34   #22694
BHPian
 
mukul32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Nashik
Posts: 102
Thanked: 343 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Yes, doze and other battery optimization tricks are supposedly marquee features of Android M but if the number of complaints online are any indication, it's not worked for everyone.

I updated to M only because there was nothing I could do on 5.x to stop any apps hogging my battery except disabling them. Turns out it's no different on M because some system apps (read Android/Google services) are exempt and allowed to override Doze.

I should've stuck to 5.1.1, but then the damn thing used to pop 'System Update available' every half hour or so, and there's no option to make it stop looking for updates, at least in stock Android.
There was notification control in stock Lollipop. You could long press on a notification, any notification, and get into app info of the app sending the notification. From there, you could choose to stop receiving notifications from that app.
And a Marshmallow update is still nothing to regret. Now on tap is in itself an amazing feature you could not have gotten in Lollipop, and literally changes the way one uses search in mobile. And there are many small improvements under the hood as well.
mukul32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2016, 21:57   #22695
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,917
Thanked: 3,341 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
There was notification control in stock Lollipop. You could long press on a notification, any notification, and get into app info of the app sending the notification. From there, you could choose to stop receiving notifications from that app.
There was notification control even before that, but I don't believe one could stop notifications from the system updates section. I could be wrong but that's water under the bridge now. FWIW, I can't find where to turn system update notifications (the OS variety) off in 6.0 either.

Quote:
And a Marshmallow update is still nothing to regret. Now on tap is in itself an amazing feature you could not have gotten in Lollipop, and literally changes the way one uses search in mobile. And there are many small improvements under the hood as well.
I don't regret it, just that I don't see enough difference in my usage scenario, YMMV. Call me a simpleton, but I had no real use for Google Now (I turned it off on 5.x), and Now on Tap with 6.0 goes the same way.

I need my phone to do a few simple things (Email, notes, calendar, some basic apps) I ask of it well and not be a battery hog while doing it, but apparently it's too much to ask a budget/mid-range phone to do that without having to tweak stuff on it endlessly. Oh well!

If I need to constantly tweak and toggle stuff on a SMARTphone to keep it working efficiently, where's the smart in the phone exactly?
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks