Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2016, 15:19   #23281
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,801
Thanked: 7,133 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Overdue is one word not two. it is an adjective, so one might argue with adding an S.

OK OK... would that stop me using the app? No, not at all, but it is nice when programmers pay attention to detail. If they are good with the stuff we can see, then they are probably good with the stuff that we can't.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 15:42   #23282
BHPian
 
tibby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I was considering buying the 32GB variant of the Redmi note 3, as 16GB seems insufficient for internal storage (I'm aware it has expandable external memory).
Any first hand reviews of the device?

Also, I have tried my hand at getting the 32GB variant during two sales, and it seems incredibly difficult to land one.
Any tips on how to grab one in the flash sale?
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2016, 16:48   #23283
BHPian
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 503
Thanked: 491 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
...
some of the prerequisites for new buy:

network: 4G, single SIM is fine;
display: 5" or more, Gorilla glass, HD;
RAM: 2GB or more;
Camera: Most Imp aspect - this need to be very good, lots of snapping;
Memory: min 16GB onboard, preferably 32GB; microSD slot;
Speaker: good & reasonably loud
Battery: one day for medium use (fb, wa, music, mostly on home wifi)
Budget: 10-20K
Brands: liking for Samsung

I read about Samsung A8 (26K !), and seems to be very nice one.

valuable inputs welcome

regards,
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetorange View Post
A8 is huge to hold! About 6inches ! The 2016 A7 and A5 are pretty slick but all have the same 16 gigs of onboard storage.

Why not have a look at 1) the Lenovo Vibe X3 available on Amazon.
2) the Moto X Play on flipkart

Both are available for just under 20k and sport 32 gigs of onboard storage. The Moto is waterproof to boot! The Lenovo has awesome audio .

The A8 is the only Galaxy apart from the Note 4 and S7 which has 32 gigs onboard storage and a simslot, but is last year's model and looks aged besides the new A series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
...
I think Oneplus One fits the bill perfectly. It's old, but it'll continuosusly get CM support. It's not going to become obsolete for a few years as it's got terrific processing power.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
NO WAY! With all due respect, the only achilles heel of this otherwise awesome phone is the camera. My android loving wife uses one but will only take photos with the iPhone6 when out


Vibe X3 has nice reviews of late. http://gadgetstouse.com/camera-review/vibe-x3/43341
it seems above average only.

else my sister has the MI4. Otherwise at par with OPO but outstanding camera. My sister is very happy that for her limited budget, this is a pretty outstanding camera that simply works well in all light conditions!

Take the 64GB and she'll be a happy camper for years, esp since it doesnt have expandable storage. Else extend the budget and get the MI5 with an amazing camera for 25k. 5k is nothing for world peace and a couple of years of brownie points

IMHO I'd say mi4-64 at low budget, else mi5 if you can pony up 5k for a good two year investment - and see her smile everytime she clicks photos.

...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mukul32 View Post
Avoid any Samsung except for a flagship. And even those are only excellent in terms of hardware. Horrible in terms of software, optimisation and intuitiveness.
I think what you should be looking at is an older flagship rather than a current midranger. The LG G3 and G4 would be available for tasty deals very soon and either come with great screens, SD slots, and big batteries. The Moto X Play is also a great choice. In fact, with stock Android, a bigger screen and stereo speakers, a better overall deal than the G4. But it may be costlier, and 5.7 is way too big for convenience and is borderline unusable in a single hand.
thanks for your suggestions. I purchased Moto X Play (32 GB) @ Rs.18999 from Flipkart. Today afternoon its delivered. In a day, will start some updates, migration tasks and handover to wife.
pcpranav is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 15:00   #23284
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 153
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Moto X Force has got a big 30% price cut. 32 GB version is now 35k (down from 50k).
JonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 16:07   #23285
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,457
Thanked: 281 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Facebook question. My sister got a new tablet - Mi Tab. On facebook, the never ending page isn't really never ending - after many posts, it ends - it gives "Find friends on facebook" message at the bottom of the page. In her earlier tablet - this used to scroll forever. It's not as if there is nothing to show. She has tons of facebook friends and there is enough to show for hours. Is this some setting in facebook?
carboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 16:50   #23286
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Facebook question. My sister got a new tablet - Mi Tab. On facebook, the never ending page isn't really never ending - after many posts, it ends - it gives "Find friends on facebook" message at the bottom of the page. In her earlier tablet - this used to scroll forever. It's not as if there is nothing to show. She has tons of facebook friends and there is enough to show for hours. Is this some setting in facebook?
I am seeing this too in my facebook mobile app on Redmi Note 3 . Looks like FB has changed some settings. Not sure.
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 17:21   #23287
Senior - BHPian
 
Hatari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 1,593
Thanked: 392 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

AFter changing phones, been facing a few issues with multiple contacts on my phone. all linked together luckily.
So person A is reflecting as 2 google contacts, 2 phone contacts and 1 whatsapp contact.
Its all grouped under Person A's name.

Any ideas how to clean up the multiple ones?
Hatari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 17:28   #23288
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,594
Thanked: 3,407 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
I was considering buying the 32GB variant of the Redmi note 3, as 16GB seems insufficient for internal storage (I'm aware it has expandable external memory).
Any first hand reviews of the device?

Also, I have tried my hand at getting the 32GB variant during two sales, and it seems incredibly difficult to land one.
Any tips on how to grab one in the flash sale?
If you do, please tell me. My current plan is to pay a 1-3k premium on Quikr given my endless failures in this endeavor and my limited patience.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 19:23   #23289
Senior - BHPian
 
naveen.raju's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Cochin
Posts: 3,714
Thanked: 3,008 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
I was considering buying the 32GB variant of the Redmi note 3, as 16GB seems insufficient for internal storage (I'm aware it has expandable external memory).
Any first hand reviews of the device?

Also, I have tried my hand at getting the 32GB variant during two sales, and it seems incredibly difficult to land one.
Any tips on how to grab one in the flash sale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
If you do, please tell me. My current plan is to pay a 1-3k premium on Quikr given my endless failures in this endeavor and my limited patience.
Try Gearbest or aliexpress. India spec phones are available too (redmi Note 3 pro with Snapdragon) but at a premium - say around 13-15k. Do check the reviews before trying it out.

Else, check Le Eco 2, pro and Max 2 that they launched today. Good specs and pretty good pricing. I am waiting for the reviews (excess heat reported in 1s and poor software). If it clears this, MI will need to act fast.
naveen.raju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th April 2016, 20:45   #23290
Senior - BHPian
 
vinit.merchant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,127
Thanked: 933 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatari View Post
AFter changing phones, been facing a few issues with multiple contacts on my phone. all linked together luckily.
So person A is reflecting as 2 google contacts, 2 phone contacts and 1 whatsapp contact.
Its all grouped under Person A's name.

Any ideas how to clean up the multiple ones?
No need to clean up.
Just go to "Contacts -> settngs -> Contacts to Display" and select just one. You should be good then. I preferred the contacts saved on google.

I faced the same issue when I bought a new one. Took some time to figure it out.
vinit.merchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 11:33   #23291
BHPian
 
Mr.Beat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Navi Mumbai
Posts: 334
Thanked: 121 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
I was considering buying the 32GB variant of the Redmi note 3, as 16GB seems insufficient for internal storage (I'm aware it has expandable external memory).
Any first hand reviews of the device?

Also, I have tried my hand at getting the 32GB variant during two sales, and it seems incredibly difficult to land one.
Any tips on how to grab one in the flash sale?
Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
If you do, please tell me. My current plan is to pay a 1-3k premium on Quikr given my endless failures in this endeavor and my limited patience.


I've ordered the 16GB gold variant on 20th april. Do not pay a premium on quikr. You will need a running javascript in the background to add all the variants to your cart automatically when the flash sale begins. Thereafter, you will delete the one's that you do not want and proceed to checkout ( You have 15 mins buffer to complete the purchase, COD works too).
Mr.Beat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st April 2016, 12:20   #23292
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 411
Thanked: 312 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I ordered my Redmi Note 3 16gb in amazon. I did it from Mobile and using my home wifi. I was able to add it to cart in my first attempt itself. Log into Amazon website/app and keep refreshing the page every 10s and every 5s when the time is nearing! Dont spend a premium to buy this!
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 09:35   #23293
BHPian
 
tibby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 24 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
Try Gearbest or aliexpress. India spec phones are available too (redmi Note 3 pro with Snapdragon) but at a premium - say around 13-15k. Do check the reviews before trying it out.

Else, check Le Eco 2, pro and Max 2 that they launched today. Good specs and pretty good pricing. I am waiting for the reviews (excess heat reported in 1s and poor software). If it clears this, MI will need to act fast.
Thanks for the alternate purchase ideas.
I did look at the LeEco 2 specs, and it looks good. But it will likely be launched on 2-May, and I need a new phone on/before 5-May.
I'm now inclined to pick the Lenovo Vibe S1. Everything on it seems good, except the small 2500mAh battery. The Redmi Note 3 has a monster in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
I've ordered the 16GB gold variant on 20th april. Do not pay a premium on quikr. You will need a running javascript in the background to add all the variants to your cart automatically when the flash sale begins. Thereafter, you will delete the one's that you do not want and proceed to checkout ( You have 15 mins buffer to complete the purchase, COD works too).
I'm assuming you are talking about purchasing off amazon.in. It is actually quite easy to purchase there, unlike on mi.com/in (which is where the 32GB variant has been available for last 2 weeks).
On amazon.in, the flash sale is more reliable. I have always been able to lay my hands on phones available on flash sales there.
Even the 16GB Redmi Note 3 was easily added manually to my cart during last 2 weeks' sales. I did remove them from my cart immediately as I was looking for the 32GB one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
I ordered my Redmi Note 3 16gb in amazon. I did it from Mobile and using my home wifi. I was able to add it to cart in my first attempt itself. Log into Amazon website/app and keep refreshing the page every 10s and every 5s when the time is nearing! Dont spend a premium to buy this!
I too was able to add the phone to my cart during the last two falsh sales on amazon.in.
The sales on the Mi India website is the problem. It seems like a scam to me.

I have no intention of paying a premium for the handset. I might as well pay the premium and go for another phone.
I'm keenly looking at the Lenovo Vibe S1 now. Looks good, except the comparatively small capacity battery.



Any other phone recommendations from you guys?
Looking for an Android device in the sub-15k bracket, for the wife.
A good camera, atleast 32GB internal memory, expandable memory, and decent battery backup are the primary requirements.
tibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:31   #23294
Senior - BHPian
 
Soumyajit9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 10010
Posts: 1,501
Thanked: 1,665 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tibby View Post
I'm keenly looking at the Lenovo Vibe S1 now. Looks good, except the comparatively small capacity battery.
The Vibe S1 looks overpriced for the things it is offering !

Why not look at Lenovo K4 Note. For 12k, it offers a better processor (although all Mediatek processors are crap), bigger screen, bigger battery, fingerprint scanner. This one has a 3GB RAM and 32GB ROM too !

http://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Vibe-K4-...lenovo+k4+note


http://www.amazon.in/dp/B017U1OPXE?t...e-2c1f071dc594

Last edited by Soumyajit9 : 22nd April 2016 at 10:42.
Soumyajit9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:34   #23295
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,426
Thanked: 19,266 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
The Vibe S1 looks overpriced for the things it is offering !

Why not look at Lenovo K4 Note. For under 10k, it offers a better processor (although all Mediatek processors are crap), bigger screen, bigger battery, fingerprint scanner. This one has a 3GB RAM and 32GB ROM too !

http://www.amazon.in/Lenovo-Vibe-K4-...lenovo+k4+note
Isn't the K4 note 12K? Where do you see it for under 10K?

Rather than the K4 note why not the Xiaomi Redmi note 3? For 9,999 you get a better processor Snapdragon 652 and a host of better features.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

« The iPhone Thread | - »

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 01:34.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks