Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2016, 00:07   #24676
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Jio Devices?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMaruru View Post
Any reviews on Jio loaded LYF devices?

I am looking for a device with pre-inserted Jio SIM, for my sister who keeps traveling between Mumbai and K'taka. She spends quite a lot on roaming charges and Airtel as we all know is expensive.

Looking for good call quality, whatsapp, camera in that order.

Please suggest!
As said above, avoid depending on Jio for calling. It is extremely difficult to get through while calling out.

You can use it for data in which case, a WiFi dongle should do the trick.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 13:45   #24677
BHPian
 
pratyush6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: RNC - BLR
Posts: 483
Thanked: 516 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Rumor is that OnePlus is running out of AMOLED screens and they want to introduce a phone with a LCD panel - calling it OP3s or something. I seriously hope they dont - once you get used to AMOLED, you just wont like LCD.
pratyush6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 15:00   #24678
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 153
Thanked: 146 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pratyush6 View Post
Rumor is that OnePlus is running out of AMOLED screens and they want to introduce a phone with a LCD panel - calling it OP3s or something. I seriously hope they dont - once you get used to AMOLED, you just wont like LCD.
Carl Pei has confirmed on Twitter that they will be sticking to AMOLED (for the foreseeable future).
JonSnow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 16:20   #24679
Senior - BHPian
 
sdp1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,592
Thanked: 919 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

How's the Galaxy On 8 camera ? As good as the G4 plus ?
sdp1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2016, 16:26   #24680
BHPian
 
vikrantj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 574
Thanked: 308 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aston Singh View Post
Anyone here using a Nexus 6P and facing network issues post android 7.0 installation?

My phone intermittently shows no service/network. The same SIM on my other phone is connecting to the respective network without an issue. I am facing this with both Idea and Vodafone. And somehow I have a strong feeling that this is related to Android 7.0

Definitely frustrating and I am hoping I am correct about it being an OS related problem and not a hardware one. Fingers crossed!
Ok I thought I was the only one with this issue. After the update the signal strength flucuates. This is the case not only for mobile signal and data connection but also for WiFi too.
vikrantj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 17:07   #24681
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

My impressions on MI5 after a week of usage.

Things I am happy about -
  • looks extremely sleek and premium
  • excellent and super bright screen, no problems in harsh sunlight, auto brightness works really well
  • very easy for one handed operation
  • very good camera...more than enough for FB and whatsapp. Wife happy
  • snappy performance
  • I loved the added features and customization offered by MIUI. Some things are a bit weird but additional functionality over stock Android is welcome.
  • Believe it or not, I am using the IR blaster a lot for TV/amplifier/AC etc

Things I do not like
  • Very low volume from speakers for ringing as well as music playback. High chance of missing calls at home or noisy environments.
  • Even sound output from earphones is very low. The sound quality is very good though. My guess is Xiaomi has done cost cutting by providing low power amplifier.
  • The phone is very slippery but you can overcome it by using a cover.

Things which are okay -
Battery life - I keep 3G/WIFI/bluetooth on throughout the day. I also do streaming through bluetooth when I drive to office and back.With that, I am left with 25-30% juice when I go to bed. SOT is 3.5 hours approx. If I switch off 3G , I get 4-4.5 hrs SOT. Have to test with 4G.

Overall, at the sale price of 18K, I think it's the best Android phone you can buy. ZUK Z2 can't match MI5 in terms of camera, screen quality, looks etc ( no Gorilla glass on ZUK Z2 as well). Only advantage is the battery life.

I was a bit worried about MIUI as I have heard lot of people complaining about it but I am liking it. It is really feature rich and offers lots of customization options over Stock Android.
Question - Is there a shortcut to access battery usage in MIUI?

Last edited by adimicra : 14th October 2016 at 17:09.
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 18:45   #24682
BHPian
 
lordvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Noida
Posts: 82
Thanked: 68 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
My impressions on MI5 after a week of usage.

Battery life - I keep 3G/WIFI/bluetooth on throughout the day. I also do streaming through bluetooth when I drive to office and back.With that, I am left with 25-30% juice when I go to bed.
Try with bluetooth switched off. And more than that, switch off auto sync (both gmail and miui account), if you have not already. Keep location at battery-saving instead of high accuracy.

Besides that, switch off wifi scanning under wifi (wifi settings>advanced>scanning).

Last edited by lordvader : 14th October 2016 at 18:47.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 18:58   #24683
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 313
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
[*]Very low volume from speakers for ringing as well as music playback. High chance of missing calls at home or noisy environments.[*]Even sound output from earphones is very low. The sound quality is very good though. My guess is Xiaomi has done cost cutting by providing low power amplifier.
Its a great looking phone with top end features. For headphone volume output related reviews I have generally found phonearena accurate. Here they compare output loudness both via headphones and speaker for mobiles. Mi5 is rated at 0.18 which means very very low output.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Xi..._id4196/page/3

Now Gsmarena in audio review goes on to say audio output via headphone is high but that does not seem so.

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_5-review-1411p6.php

Thanks for sharing your feedback as it confirms my suspicion that Gsmarena audio reviews are not totally on point.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 19:39   #24684
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
Try with bluetooth switched off. And more than that, switch off auto sync (both gmail and miui account), if you have not already. Keep location at battery-saving instead of high accuracy.

Besides that, switch off wifi scanning under wifi (wifi settings>advanced>scanning).
Thanks for the advice.
I am fine with the battery life as it lasts me comfortably throughout a normal day of usage.So, there is really no cause for concern. And I don't want to switch on/off particular services throughout the day. That was one reason for buying a new phone anyway.
I don't think bluetooth actually consumes lot of power.
WIFI scanning I can turn off as I don't think I will need to turn it ON apart from special situations.


Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Its a great looking phone with top end features. For headphone volume output related reviews I have generally found phonearena accurate. Here they compare output loudness both via headphones and speaker for mobiles. Mi5 is rated at 0.18 which means very very low output.

http://www.phonearena.com/reviews/Xi..._id4196/page/3

Now Gsmarena in audio review goes on to say audio output via headphone is high but that does not seem so.

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_5-review-1411p6.php

Thanks for sharing your feedback as it confirms my suspicion that Gsmarena audio reviews are not totally on point.
Yes, audio output from both speakers and earphones is low. I am comparing with my old Moto X. Moto X speakers were not that great but output via earphones was definitely louder. Quality of the sound is very good though, no complaints. Problem is this issue can't be fixed. :(

Another point - though I am overall loving MIUI, there are a few gripes.
1> I absolutely hate the stock phone/dialer app. It's so difficult to dial frequent/favorite contacts from it. Also, I do not like the overall look n feel. Which dialer app is preferred?
2> Is there an easy way to access battery usage? I love the way I can easily access the battery usage in stock android.
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 20:11   #24685
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,368
Thanked: 1,134 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
2> Is there an easy way to access battery usage? I love the way I can easily access the battery usage in stock android.
You can click on the battery icon when you swipe down to see the notifications - that will directly take you to battery use page.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 20:21   #24686
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
You can click on the battery icon when you swipe down to see the notifications - that will directly take you to battery use page.

--Anoop
Are you talking about stock Android or MIUI?
I know of this feature in Android since a long time. But I don't see that feature in MIUI. Am I missing something?
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2016, 20:23   #24687
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 313
Thanked: 279 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post



Yes, audio output from both speakers and earphones is low. I am comparing with my old Moto X. Moto X speakers were not that great but output via earphones was definitely louder. Quality of the sound is very good though, no complaints. Problem is this issue can't be fixed. :(
An inexpensive solution would be to use headphone amp such as:

http://www.amazon.in/FiiO-A1-Portabl...hone+amplifier

Not really sure about dialler and battery thing as moved on to Windows phones last year.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 11:06   #24688
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Calcutta
Posts: 43
Thanked: 32 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Are you talking about stock Android or MIUI?
I know of this feature in Android since a long time. But I don't see that feature in MIUI. Am I missing something?
Please pull down the notifications drawer and you will see the battery icon, if you click it goes to the battery usage screen.

You can also go to settings - system and device - battery - power - battery usage for the same screen.
digitalnirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 21:06   #24689
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,558
Thanked: 1,058 Times
Default

That's what I thought but I can't find it on Miui. I don't know what I am missing here
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th October 2016, 21:39   #24690
BHPian
 
Sherlocked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Jaipur
Posts: 375
Thanked: 669 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
That's what I thought but I can't find it on Miui. I don't know what I am missing here
You will find the various battery options under the Security app. Give that a try.

If you are looking for the graphical battery history, then tap the clock type symbol on the upper right at the "Battery Use" page.

Last edited by Sherlocked : 15th October 2016 at 21:46.
Sherlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:19.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks