Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2016, 13:40   #24781
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
The Moto Z is an insane 40k. That's too much for me. ...
The camera is 20K, so total is a raving-lunatic 60k!

The Play somewhat less, and the camera still fits.

Thanks for the link: I'lll go and read the review. (Can someone remind me the name of the site that does camera-centric phone reviews: would be a good place to check out this babe)
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 13:51   #24782
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Thank you for this tip. What are the flagship phones you suggest I create an alert for a watch out? If you could give us a list, it will help peeps like me put some Swag out there
Haha swag hugh

Depends on what you like e.g. Z droid you mentioned earlier would definitely go down. To give you an e.g. Moto X Force 64 GB launched earlier this year for 53K is now at Amazon for 28K and if you take in cashback deals then 26K.

Blackberry Priv launched for 60K and is now at almost 35K. All the reviews blasted it for price, I wonder what will they say now.

LG G5 launched for 45K is now at 33K online.

Decide on a phone you really want and then wait it out, curse or boon of Android is prices will drop.
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 13:51   #24783
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Hosur
Posts: 380
Thanked: 287 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
The camera is 20K, so total is a raving-lunatic 60k!

The Play somewhat less, and the camera still fits.

Thanks for the link: I'lll go and read the review. (Can someone remind me the name of the site that does camera-centric phone reviews: would be a good place to check out this babe)
Camera specific would be - https://www.dxomark.com/
sairamboko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 14:22   #24784
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,817
Thanked: 3,024 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I'm a recent accidental (and reluctant) beneficiary of the 'wait for yesteryear flagships to cheap out' phenomenon and boy am I glad!
Snagged a Moto Turbo on the Flipkart sale for INR 13999, thought of selling off my 10-month old Moto G3 but the better half called dibs on it.

Yesteryear (okay, TWO year old) flagship for the price of a current-gen low-mid ranger. I'm set for a few years until the 2016-17 flagships hit the discount bins.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 20th October 2016 at 14:26.
Chetan_Rao is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 14:48   #24785
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 151
Thanked: 144 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I don't see users being wowed by their performance. There is always some glitch some bug that I get to read about one plus phones. May be I'm nitpicking but flagships should run flawless. I'm sure actual users can verify this.
It had some flaws at launch, but performance was always top notch. All the reviews I have seen have noted how smooth and fluid it is and that it handled heavy loads quite comfortably. It had some issues like fingerprint sensor being active when in the pocket, aggressive memory management and some issue with auto-brightness, but those were all fixed and right now i have no complaints on any aspect.
JonSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 15:03   #24786
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,344
Thanked: 1,047 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

If we take Xiaomi and Lenovo out of the equation, what is the best dual sim phone for day to day use (call, Whatsapp, FB, Skype, Browsing and clicking photos - no gaming), in sub 15K mark? The budget can be stretched up to 18K, if there is a really compelling reason.

I have recommended Moto G4 plus, but last few posts in this thread is making me rethink on the recommendation.

This phone will be used by a 60 year young chap, if that is of any importance.

PS: No Samsung or Sony please

--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 20th October 2016 at 15:05.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 15:25   #24787
BHPian
 
lordvader's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Noida
Posts: 76
Thanked: 65 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
I have recommended Moto G4 plus, but last few posts in this thread is making me rethink on the recommendation.
This phone will be used by a 60 year young chap, if that is of any importance.
--Anoop
I say this merely from a personal preference perspective. One plus one and maybe one plus 2, if you can get the latter within your price range. Other than that, I'd look at Asus and HTC.

Other than ease of use, battery back up or fast charging will also be of importance. From my experience, seniors are not very disciplined when it comes to charging phones.
lordvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 15:50   #24788
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi / Chandigarh
Posts: 44
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Need help with phone for my mother. She is currently using a 3 year old Micromax phone (android KitKat) and we are planning to get an upgrade for her around Diwali.

Started out with Moto G4 Plus but based on some of the posts across previous pages and in other forums, it seems to be not that good a choice. A friend's brother recently bought the Redmi Note 3 and hence that was considered. Browing through the site I came across Mi5 as well and that left me confused. How different are Redmi versus Mi phones (are these like Swift & Baleno from the same stable kind or something else)? Comparing Redmi Note 3 to Mi5 might not be a fair comparison but if we were to compare which one would be recommended?

The initial review from geekyranjit you tube channel suggested that Mi5 suffers from out of memory error if multiple aplications are opened and call drop along with average sound output. However a re-review mentioned that most of these are sorted post the updates. Any feedback on these issues?

Primary ask from the phone would be:
1) Good camera since we generally use the mobiles to take pictures at family get togethers / ocassions
2) Good display
3) Lag free performance
4) Expandable storage if possible

Any other phones which could be considered? Did look at OP3 but mixed reviews made me stay away.

Would want to avoid Samsung as far as possible.

Thanks!
sukhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 15:53   #24789
BHPian
 
kavensri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 131
Thanked: 90 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I say this merely from a personal preference perspective. One plus one and maybe one plus 2, if you can get the latter within your price range. Other than that, I'd look at Asus and HTC.

Other than ease of use, battery back up or fast charging will also be of importance. From my experience, seniors are not very disciplined when it comes to charging phones.
Though OPO was a great success story, OP2 never lived upto its expectation. And partly due to it's Oxygen OS compared to CM in OPO? I have only used OPO, but from what i have read so far, OP2 was a failure, OPX was mixed and OP3 is successful product again. So, if you can stretch your budget you have OP3 or new Moto Z Play.
And the only thing that i am liking with G4 Plus is 'Turbo Charge', this feature is really nice and useful.
kavensri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 15:57   #24790
BHPian
 
arindambasu13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 395
Thanked: 89 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
And maybe with one plus, the hasty switchover to oxygen could be the reason for below par optimisation. The next iteration of one plus could very well be a market leader.
Having used the OP3 for the last 4 months as my daily driver, I am yet to find a glitch in terms of UI or software experience. I was a Samsung user for four years before that, so I am well accustomed to heavily skinned Android UI. However, the software experience of OP3 was a breath of fresh air after the Samsung experience. As for the performance, it has been flawless. Admittedly I am not a heavy user, however, I do have 2 emails syncing at all times, WhatsApp, fairly heavy Youtube usage and net-browsing usage through the day. No lags or anything other than buttery smooth end user experience. Highly recommended especially at the price at which it retails at this time.
arindambasu13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:03   #24791
BHPian
 
heydj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Rotterdam/Delhi
Posts: 304
Thanked: 272 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
If we take Xiaomi and Lenovo out of the equation, what is the best dual sim phone for day to day use (call, Whatsapp, FB, Skype, Browsing and clicking photos - no gaming), in sub 15K mark? The budget can be stretched up to 18K, if there is a really compelling reason.

I have recommended Moto G4 plus, but last few posts in this thread is making me rethink on the recommendation.

PS: No Samsung or Sony please

--Anoop
Moto X Style (wait to see if price drops on Flipkart again)

HTC desire series (though not a big fan as most come without Gorilla Glass)

If dual sim is not a must then HTC One M8 or phones such as Lg G3, Flex2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Need help with phone for my mother. She is currently using a 3 year old Micromax phone (android KitKat) and we are planning to get an upgrade for her around Diwali.

Any other phones which could be considered? Did look at OP3 but mixed reviews made me stay away.

Thanks!
Without a budget hard to recommend but since you considered OnePlus 3 I am assuming 28K is within reach.

At this price point Moto X Force (it even has shattershield with warranty for 4 years)

HTC One M9 (Few weeks back Amazon had it for 20K)

Moto X Style (wait to see if Flipkart again drops price to 17K).
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:11   #24792
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,344
Thanked: 1,047 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordvader View Post
I say this merely from a personal preference perspective. One plus one and maybe one plus 2, if you can get the latter within your price range. Other than that, I'd look at Asus and HTC.
Thank you. OP2 is under consideration, but not really sure the additional firepower at extra cost is really worth for the considered use. Also, OP2 was not really a success like OPO and OP3, so a little hesitant to spend 20K on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavensri View Post
Though OPO was a great success story, OP2 never lived upto its expectation.
So, if you can stretch your budget you have OP3 or new Moto Z Play.
And the only thing that i am liking with G4 Plus is 'Turbo Charge', this feature is really nice and useful.
OP3 and Z play is out of budget, OP2 can be brought at a stretch, but I am frankly not sure if it is really worth that stretch. The fast charging is really useful.


Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
How different are Redmi versus Mi phones (are these like Swift & Baleno from the same stable kind or something else)? Comparing Redmi Note 3 to Mi5 might not be a fair comparison but if we were to compare which one would be recommended?


Primary ask from the phone would be:
1) Good camera since we generally use the mobiles to take pictures at family get togethers / ocassions
2) Good display
3) Lag free performance
4) Expandable storage if possible
Mi is the premium line and Redmi is the budget line. I am using Redmi Note3 16 GB version for past few month and I am very happy with the mobile.

The camera is very good in well lit conditions. Considering the price point, I would say I am 100% happy with the camera performance.

Display is bright and can see even in harsh sunlight. The reading mode is a plus point if you like to read documents on phone.

No lag or slowness till now - I brought the phone on the very first day it launched and is using till date without any lag. I do not play games on it though.

The second sim slot is hybrid, so you can expand the memory if you are using a single sim.

If you are looking at Redmi Note3, my suggestion will be to get the 3GB ram/32 GB ROM version - additional ram and storage are always welcome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Moto X Style (wait to see if price drops on Flipkart again)

HTC desire series (though not a big fan as most come without Gorilla Glass)

If dual sim is not a must then HTC One M8 or phones such as Lg G3, Flex2.
Thank you - Price drop is not an option since he have to buy the phone in next couple of days. The HTC desire 10 Lifestyle looks good, the downsides I can readily see being the 2700 mAH battery and no fast charging option.

Dual sim is a must since he frequently shuttles between two states and uses two sim cards - one for each state. So, he actually prefers a phone with a very good battery backup so that the battery wont give up even if he forget to charge the phone a day and is traveling overnight.


--Anoop

Last edited by theexperthand : 20th October 2016 at 16:18.
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:17   #24793
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Delhi / Chandigarh
Posts: 44
Thanked: 11 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
Without a budget hard to recommend but since you considered OnePlus 3 I am assuming 28K is within reach.

At this price point Moto X Force (it even has shattershield with warranty for 4 years)

HTC One M9 (Few weeks back Amazon had it for 20K)

Moto X Style (wait to see if Flipkart again drops price to 17K).
Thanks for the quick revert heydj. My bad, I should have mentioned the budget. We were initially thinking of going upto 25~27K but then based on how newer models are getting launched and reasonably good features/hardware being available in lower price range as well we decided to restrict ourselves to 20K range (hence G4 plus, Mi5 n Redmi Note 3 being top contenders with G4 plus being on fence now given some not-so-good reviews).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Mi is the premium line and Redmi is the budget line. I am using Redmi Note3 16 GB version for past few month and I am very happy with the mobile.

The camera is very good in well lit conditions. Considering the price point, I would say I am 100% happy with the camera performance.

Display is bright and can see even in harsh sunlight. The reading mode is a plus point if you like to read documents on phone.

If you are looking at Redmi Note3, my suggestion will be to get the 3GB ram/32 GB ROM version - additional ram and storage are always welcome.

--Anoop
thanks for the quick revert Anoop, much appreciated. Good to know of such positive feedback from actual end users. Mi5 has also gotten good feedback on the forum so I guess these two are top contenders for now.

Next step would be to show both of these to mom (online of course) and finalize on one.

Any other suggestions on models would be appreciated.

Thanks!
sukhoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 16:40   #24794
Senior - BHPian
 
theexperthand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,344
Thanked: 1,047 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhoi View Post
Any other suggestions on models would be appreciated.

Thanks!
If your mom likes big screens, take a look at Mi Max also. Almost same underpinnings, so performance should not suffer.

Redmi\Mi is present in almost all the spectrum, starting from Redmi 3S at 7K for the budget conscious users to the Mi 5 for the performance seekers and all their phones are VFM and offer competition par or beating performance and specs at the given price points.

--Anoop
theexperthand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2016, 22:31   #24795
Distinguished - BHPian
 
Thad E Ginathom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 7,613
Thanked: 6,700 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sairamboko View Post
Camera specific would be - https://www.dxomark.com/
Thanks.. That's the one I wanted. Have bookmarked.

They say nice things about the Moto Z generally, but have not caught up with the Hasselblad attachment yet.
Thad E Ginathom is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:39.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks