Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2011, 09:29   #2566
Senior - BHPian
 
typeOnegative's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Vikhroli, Mumbai, India
Posts: 1,502
Thanked: 20 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvancy View Post
Is the battery problem a serious issue? if its a serious one, has there been a solution for it? if I buy the 20k phone and it runs out of juice all the time then I will have to rethink buying the phone.
Battery running out all the time is a serious issue by the very nature of it, is it not? That being said, this is a problem with all smart phones / phones with a large display and there are ways to overcome this deficiency.

If your budget is sub 20k, then why do you not include the Optimus as well?
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 09:52   #2567
BHPian
 
abhayshanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 694
Thanked: 168 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dar3dev|l View Post
Incredible S is a brilliant phone, its places between desire S and Desire HD. The phone on papers looks really tempting, we would however need to see its end user reviews. I too am tempted to buy that phone but highly confused with the new SE Neo. waiting for both to be released and stabilizing in the market
I would not agree completely here. Both are basicly the same, one has a 4.3" screen and one has 4". One has a front camera and the other doesnt. But when you see the Quadrant Standard Benchmark Tests, the Desire HD scores higher than the Incredible and the Incredible costs a little more than the HD.

Here are two videos stating the same -


Looking at the video the screen looks amazing, but I still dont regret buying the HTC Desire HD

Last edited by abhayshanu : 4th April 2011 at 10:02.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 09:58   #2568
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 37
Thanked: 55 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Battery running out all the time is a serious issue by the very nature of it, is it not? That being said, this is a problem with all smart phones / phones with a large display and there are ways to overcome this deficiency.

If your budget is sub 20k, then why do you not include the Optimus as well?
I somehow liked the samsung more.

For my sis I am considering the Optimus one.

Anvancy
anvancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 10:11   #2569
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 94
Thanked: 10 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hi, I am looking for a new phone & need some help
After my initial exposure to Sony & its unreliability, I shifted to Nokia and no looking back since! Functional, rugged & reliable. However in the world of smartphone, I am hooked to Android and hence Nokia is out of question. Will not wait for windows phone either.

Here are the phones I downselected & unfortunately none of them were available for trying out at the dealers!
1) Samsung Galaxy 19003 - avle at 19.8K
2) HTC Incredible S - 27K
3) HTC Desire HD - 26.5K

Is it also worth waiting till 4G gets introduced here (when?), so the prices drop further?

With all the juicy features, I am looking at something good to hold, reliable & fast. My primary use of this would be ofcourse phone +skype, navigation while driving to new places & track/geo tagging while on trekking etc
Thx for help
Gany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 10:54   #2570
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: goa
Posts: 981
Thanked: 43 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by anvancy View Post
have been thinking of the Samsung Galaxy S I9003. any tips before i finalize the deal?

Anvancy
Have had one for the last fortnight. Great phone, works like a charm, battery life is about 36 hours with about 1 hr of wi-fi use, some 20 calls and equal no of sms, and another hour of playing with the phone! Gorgeous display. Blue tooth use causes battery to discharge rather more quickly, so get a car charger.
filcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 11:40   #2571
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 234
Thanked: 40 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gany View Post
Hi, I am looking for a new phone & need some help
After my initial exposure to Sony & its unreliability, I shifted to Nokia and no looking back since! Functional, rugged & reliable. However in the world of smartphone, I am hooked to Android and hence Nokia is out of question. Will not wait for windows phone either.

Here are the phones I downselected & unfortunately none of them were available for trying out at the dealers!
1) Samsung Galaxy 19003 - avle at 19.8K
2) HTC Incredible S - 27K
3) HTC Desire HD - 26.5K

Is it also worth waiting till 4G gets introduced here (when?), so the prices drop further?

With all the juicy features, I am looking at something good to hold, reliable & fast. My primary use of this would be ofcourse phone +skype, navigation while driving to new places & track/geo tagging while on trekking etc
Thx for help
did you check out Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc ? Its the new Android Phone from Sony and comes with 2.3 gingerbread.
CRV2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 12:45   #2572
BHPian
 
Sowmya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Defy comes with 2.1. They still has not updated the OS.

Tried connectify to setup a wireless connection with DOCOMO 3G USB as a input connection. It did not work.

As we dont have 3G(Vodafone) service in bangalore I have activated the GPRS setting. Now I am able to browse through browser but not able to login GMAIL/FB/Map through the pre-installed app. Any idea ?
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 12:54   #2573
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,640 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Defy comes with 2.1. They still has not updated the OS.

Tried connectify to setup a wireless connection with DOCOMO 3G USB as a input connection. It did not work.

As we dont have 3G(Vodafone) service in bangalore I have activated the GPRS setting. Now I am able to browse through browser but not able to login GMAIL/FB/Map through the pre-installed app. Any idea ?
you have to allow "Background data" in your settings. Only then gmail/fb etc., apps will be able to connect.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 13:40   #2574
BHPian
 
Sowmya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 494
Thanked: 16 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
you have to allow "Background data" in your settings. Only then gmail/fb etc., apps will be able to connect.
Thanks for the quick response. It was already turned on. I have again turned off/on after rebooting the mobile. But still not working :( Any Idea ?
Sowmya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 13:53   #2575
BHPian
 
SilentEngine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mangalore-Bangalore
Posts: 917
Thanked: 119 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am considering HTC Incredible S and Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc.

Arc doesn't have a front facing camera, which is the only thing stopping me from picking this up.
SilentEngine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 14:00   #2576
BHPian
 
Shashank.A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 479
Thanked: Once
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I have put up Galaxy SL i9003 for sale. Its in the classified section.

Btw... Its has an incredible camera, I was surprised to see so many Manual settings available. Attached is one of the pics I took from it and the response to it is phenomenal to say the least...
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-naan.jpg  

Shashank.A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 14:15   #2577
BHPian
 
fuel_addict's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 688
Thanked: 111 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I would not agree completely here. Both are basicly the same, one has a 4.3" screen and one has 4". One has a front camera and the other doesnt. But when you see the Quadrant Standard Benchmark Tests, the Desire HD scores higher than the Incredible and the Incredible costs a little more than the HD.

Here are two videos stating the same -


Looking at the video the screen looks amazing, but I still dont regret buying the HTC Desire HD
What about the battery life? The Incredible has a better battery rating than the Desire HD. The HD always seemed to have an underpowered battery considering the 4.3" screen. The Incredible not only has a smaller screen but also a S-LCD display which should give it a battery advantage.
fuel_addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 14:24   #2578
Team-BHP Support
 
tsk1979's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 22,953
Thanked: 15,640 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sowmya View Post
Thanks for the quick response. It was already turned on. I have again turned off/on after rebooting the mobile. But still not working :( Any Idea ?
did you enable it in "Accounts and Sync"? This is the place you need to enable background data.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 14:24   #2579
BHPian
 
abhayshanu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 694
Thanked: 168 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
What about the battery life? The Incredible has a better battery rating than the Desire HD. The HD always seemed to have an underpowered battery considering the 4.3" screen. The Incredible not only has a smaller screen but also a S-LCD display which should give it a battery advantage.
I am more than satisfied with the battery. Works for around 12 hrs comfortably with either 3G or WiFi always on. Also the Incredible not only has a S-LCD 4" screen but also a 1450 mh battery.
abhayshanu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th April 2011, 14:24   #2580
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Hey guys,
a friend just told me that the Galaxy s 2 has been launched...
any news on that?
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:51.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks