Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software

Old 23rd July 2017, 13:08   #26041
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I have an observation. This thread no longer has the kind of activity it once saw. Why is that so?

Is everyone happy with their phones that they no longer need to purchase a new one?

Curious if others agree with the observation and what their theory is.
Prior to 2012, I used Blackberry. (9000 Bold and 8520). My first smartphone was HTC One V way back in September 2012. Next smartphone in September 2014 - HTC Desire 816. My third and current smartphone Samsung S8 plus that I bought in June 2017.

I always prefer to max out the period of holding a smartphone to make best possible use of the money I spent on buying a phone.

Buying a phone every year or with every other release is not a good idea in my opinion.

May be lately many people also started extending their smartphone buying decisions. And thus less activity on the thread. Also, a saturation level is already in the current smartphone era. Something new is to happen just like the Android boomed in 2011-2012 and it became mainstream OS for a phone.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 19:15   #26042
BHPian

Users of S8 plus, could you please comment on the long term performance of the phone. There are views that traditional Samsung lag still takes over after few weeks and few apps later.
abhjain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2017, 22:36   #26043
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Users of S8 plus, could you please comment on the long term performance of the phone. There are views that traditional Samsung lag still takes over after few weeks and few apps later.
No changes in that tradition. Comparing one plus 3, the performance is bit less. The best thing about s8+ is screen, camera and SPay.
smnrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 12:53   #26044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aryayush View Post
Why not buy the Samsung Galaxy A5 instead? Do you like that gimmicky edge display?

(That said, if the camera is a priority, go for the S7.)
Thank you.

The best engineers get to work on a Flagship, and then the materials used, research involved, testing involved, etc will be of highest possible grade. Almost all reviews do not talk about these factors, because there is no data to support these assertions. All they can do is put the phones side by side, talk about how gorgeous they look(to my eyes every phone looks the same), how great they feel to hold on, etc.

Between a one year old flagship and a brand new mid-ranger - it is a no brainer for me especially considering the free-fall of prices associated with many flagships.

Anyways, for my needs it's a no brainer. All I look for is great camera, long battery power, good sound and some serious engineering. And as I already mentioned I do not like babying any object, so the phone should be comfortable getting dropped every now and then, getting exposed to dirt, water, etc. OP5 made me laugh on this aspect, it says a lot about the manufacturer too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoc View Post
I have the S7 (non-edge) and it has been rock solid over the past year. There's hardly anything to complain about, except maybe the selfie camera, and the glass back, which is the route many manufacturers are taking with their flagships.

What's good: Outstanding rear camera (crazy fast autofocus and brilliant in low light), efficient and really bright display, battery life, water resistance (survived many immersions), audio quality via headphone jack, general performance (the latest phones would be better though) and build quality.

Samsung's mobile payments solution, Samsung Pay, can be very convenient too, because of its compatibility with conventional magnetic stripe readers, unlike other solutions.

You can currently buy the S7 Edge on Samsung's official site and get 10k cashback on the Coral Blue coloured one and 5k on the other colours. You also get 5k back on the regular S7.

Hope this helps.
Thank you.

I've almost decided on G6. It is a very new product and I know the kind of engineering that comes from LG. The offer details on Samsung website was very useful. Thank you very much.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 24th July 2017 at 13:22.
CliffHanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 19:26   #26045
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
QuadDAC
Quick question as I am also in the market for a new phone and going by the prices of the 1+ range and other Chinese manufacturers, the LG G6 is a good bargain. But there is no mention of Quad DAC on the LG site as well as Amazon etc. On GSMarena, it mentions that it is region specific and available only in South Korea model alone. So are we getting the QuadDAC on the India version of the phone?
abhinav.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 19:39   #26046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Quick question as I am also in the market for a new phone and going by the prices of the 1+ range and other Chinese manufacturers, the LG G6 is a good bargain. But there is no mention of Quad DAC on the LG site as well as Amazon etc. On GSMarena, it mentions that it is region specific and available only in South Korea model alone. So are we getting the QuadDAC on the India version of the phone?
Yeah that was strange on LGs part seeing as how the quadDAC was hyped up in their v20 page.

But rest assured the Indian version does have the quadDAC. Have seen the demo product in stores.
deathwalkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 19:59   #26047
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathwalkr View Post
But rest assured the Indian version does have the quadDAC. Have seen the demo product in stores.
Awesome! Thanks a lot for the confirmation. I would definitely love to check the demo product before going ahead with the purchase mainly to check the handling ease of the 5.7" device. Will do so soon!
Old 24th July 2017, 21:20   #26048
BHPian

Redmi Note 4, a very popular phone among the aspiring masses, is said to have caught fire while a shopkeeper was trying to insert a sim. The news was reported in a Kannada news channel this evening. NDTV reports that Xiaomi has acknowledged the issue and has also issued a replacement to the customer whose phone was involved in the mishap.
dailydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 22:12   #26049
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
But there is no mention of Quad DAC on the LG site as well as Amazon etc. On GSMarena, it mentions that it is region specific and available only in South Korea model alone. So are we getting the QuadDAC on the India version of the phone?
LG India's site does mention the Quad DAC in the G6.

Quad DAC
Let Every Detail Move You
Get an incredible listening experience with Hi-Fi Quad DAC playback, allowing you to hear crisp, clear sound that is closer to the source.

Check here: http://www.lg.com/in/mobile-phones/lg-G6-black
spindoc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2017, 22:30   #26050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhjain View Post
Not at all. No change in performance. Almost 2 months since I have the phone.
bluevolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 18:21   #26051
Senior - BHPian

I am looking at replacing the first gen Moto G and looking for suggestions on a budget phone which has the following
1. 5"screen size
2. 32GB storage
3. Dual sim
4. 2-3GB ram
5. Decent camera

My budget is around 10k and I do not want to spend more than that for a phone.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 18:24   #26052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I am looking at replacing the first gen Moto G and looking for suggestions on a budget phone which has the following
1. 5"screen size
2. 32GB storage
3. Dual sim
4. 2-3GB ram
5. Decent camera

Look at Lenovo Z2 plus
mrohit17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 18:49   #26053
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1. 5"screen size
2. 32GB storage
3. Dual sim
4. 2-3GB ram
5. Decent camera

Moto E4 Plus should be a good fit.
swiftnfurious is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th July 2017, 19:26   #26054
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. 5"screen size
2. 32GB storage
3. Dual sim
4. 2-3GB ram
5. Decent camera

Lenovo Z2 Plus (32 GB variant), Lenovo K6 Power, Redmi 4 (3GB RAM variant), Redmi Note 4 (2GB RAM variant), Moto E4 Plus all fall in range of the budget you have quoted. The Z2 plus has the best qualcomm chip of the lot with the SnapDragon 820 but may cost a thousand or 1500 more. Others all come with budget range - SD430 or SD435 except the Redmi Note 4 with the SD625. Take your pick. The Z2 plus has heating issues as per tech reviews on the internet. So please be aware of this. Camera on most these are average and do well in good lighting conditions but very average in low light. Hope this helps!
Old 25th July 2017, 19:52   #26055
BHPian

Quote:
1. 5"screen size
2. 32GB storage
3. Dual sim
4. 2-3GB ram
5. Decent camera

Moto E4 Plus has a massive 5,000mah battery. I don't know about the others though. Planning to get one myself soon (Moto E4 Plus).
manim is offline   Reply With Quote