Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2011, 13:53   #4471
BHPian
 
f1fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 693
Thanked: 41 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
Thanks for all the replies

One more newbie question
Since froyo, doesnt android support installation of apps on SD card?

If so, isnt lesser ROM issue negated?
Do note that not all applications can be moved to SD Card. Some applications like "Advanced Task Killer", "Android Market" reside on the Phone memory. Hence a good ROM size is advisable.

Last edited by f1fan : 4th July 2011 at 13:54.
f1fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 14:00   #4472
BHPian
 
karty_83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Till a while back - XCD35 was 13-14k in shops vs 9.8-10k for the optimus one. and once something starts selling - junta blindly recommend it.

The screen of the XCD35 is better. The rest is same. I am advising people based on what I have experienced with the Defy. A good screen is a major part of the touch-android experience.
Most of the online reviews seems to suggest that LG p500 is a better phone overall while XCD35 is being credited with having a better screen.
I am looking for a larger display to make web browsing a pleasant experience. I am not too much into gaming although would play occasionally. It ll primarily be used for making phone calls, music and web browsing via wifi. Only concern is the battery life. Am not sure if i have other better options in this price range.
Confused !!

Last edited by karty_83 : 4th July 2011 at 14:05.
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 14:07   #4473
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 71 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Ah, now you are only illustrating my point - there is no price difference.


yaar,

now you are talking like the neighborhood wala mobile shop. We are on TeamBHP so let's talk specifics:
LG Optimus
ZTE San Francisco, Blade

Till a while back - XCD35 was 13-14k in shops vs 9.8-10k for the optimus one. and once something starts selling - junta blindly recommend it. Like people recommending against fiat cars without even using them.

The screen of the XCD35 is better. The rest is same. I am advising people based on what I have experienced with the Defy. So many people advise the ace over the defy blindly. The vast majority of them havent even bothered to scratch the surface of what's possible. A good screen is a major part of the touch-android experience.

I think he's far smarter to go in for the XCD35. Else, his loss!

As for the OEM dell rom - you definitely may have a point. But the question here is - am I asking him to stay OEM? Hell no! CM7 is the way to go!
Based on your analysis, a chinese phone (the multisim wala) with good display shud suffice, as all else is secondary!!
Rightly said- The vast majority has not scratched the surface (and will not either), as they are part of the majority who just want to use the phone the way it is without cooking and installing ROM's. And since this is essentially an auto forum, let me make the comparision easier for you, it is like buying a Premier Rio instead of a Mahindra Thar, knowing very well which one is the better product overall...!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Most of the online reviews seems to suggest that LG p500 is a better phone overall while XCD35 is being credited with having a better screen.
I am looking for a larger display to make web browsing a pleasant experience. I am not too much into gaming although would play occasionally. It ll primarily be used for making phone calls, music and web browsing via wifi. Only concern is the battery life. Am not sure if i have other better options in this price range.
Confused !!
Have you checked out the (HTC)Google Nexus One? Some retailers are offering this around 13-14k. Good 3.7 inch screen, 1Ghz procesor etc. Is a proven product, and still holds its own.

Last edited by mobike008 : 4th July 2011 at 14:30. Reason: Back to back posts. Please wait for 30 Mins before next post or use EDIT button to make changes to existing post.
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 14:36   #4474
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post
Based on your analysis, a chinese phone (the multisim wala) with good display shud suffice, as all else is secondary!!
Rightly said- The vast majority has not scratched the surface (and will not either), as they are part of the majority who just want to use the phone the way it is without cooking and installing ROM's. And since this is essentially an auto forum, let me make the comparision easier for you, it is like buying a Premier Rio instead of a Mahindra Thar, knowing very well which one is the better product overall...!!!
From illogical arguments, now that's a simply ridiculous comparison. Anyways.

Please read up the specs of both phones on the links I provided. It is almost same.The major difference is the screen.

So let me put it this way - between two phones with absolutely same specs, except the screen - which one will you choose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Most of the online reviews seems to suggest that LG p500 is a better phone overall while XCD35 is being credited with having a better screen.
I am looking for a larger display to make web browsing a pleasant experience. I am not too much into gaming although would play occasionally. It ll primarily be used for making phone calls, music and web browsing via wifi. Only concern is the battery life. Am not sure if i have other better options in this price range.
Confused !!
Question is about you - ask yourself whether you desire a better screen and can make the effort of moving to CM7 (takes 0.5-2 hours max)? If you want a phone that has better battery life out of the box and you don't care about a good screen (2.5x as many pixels) then the Optimus is the one for you.

With CM7 - the idiocy or the battery drain of the OEM ROM becomes irrelevant. Forget all of this - what does your wife say? Do that - Because if there's any problem, she will take your trip everyday - we won't!


Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
I would advice that HTC would be better than Motorola anyday due to better update support as well as seamless functionality and better developer support.
However, as we've done this point to death a hajaar times, for Defy - the developer support bit is not entirely true. Yes, Desire is a well loved/well supported handset. But the defy has many many converts as well - its almost #3 anytime now: CMStats
PS: Didnt get the seamless functionality bit. Motoblur is crappy but seamless in its own way actually.

@radiokidb: Good points you made there.

Last edited by phamilyman : 4th July 2011 at 14:39.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 14:47   #4475
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by athul_S View Post
Thanks for all the replies

One more newbie question
Since froyo, doesnt android support installation of apps on SD card?

If so, isnt lesser ROM issue negated?
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1fan View Post
Do note that not all applications can be moved to SD Card. Some applications like "Advanced Task Killer", "Android Market" reside on the Phone memory. Hence a good ROM size is advisable.
The app developer can decide whether the app should stay on the phone or can be moved to SD card.

When we say moving Apps to SD card, it means moving the app to the normal FAT32 partition in the SD card where all your media files and other data resides.

Now, there are hacks to move any app to the SD card. NOT to the FAT32 partition in your SD card that is.

For this, you need to re-partition your SD card from scratch. Create the FAT32 partition first, and then create an ext3 partition with a size of at least 256 MB. ROM Manager can help you do this easily. I have an ext3 partition of 512 MB, which I feel, is more than enough.

Once you have the ext3 partition in your SD card, you can trick your phone into believing that it is also phone's 'internal' memory. There are scripts and apps available which does this. For CM7 users, there is a beautiful app available in the market which does this, it is called S2E.

After you install S2E, you can say what all to be moved to ext3 partition - only the app binaries or the data associated with it as well. Once configured, you just need to tap Import and it does it's script thingy. Note that you need to reflash CM7 over this without wiping.

When CM7 is reflashed and booted up, you can actually install tons of apps which keeps filling the ext3 partition in your SD card, but in the phone they just show up as residing in the phone! Do not move these apps to SD card from Application manager in the phone again, as it is a useless step now.

I have this set up and it is working flawlessly.

Last edited by clevermax : 4th July 2011 at 14:56.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 15:44   #4476
BHPian
 
karty_83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by xotiq View Post

Have you checked out the (HTC)Google Nexus One? Some retailers are offering this around 13-14k. Good 3.7 inch screen, 1Ghz procesor etc. Is a proven product, and still holds its own.
Is it available for 13k ? Can you share the link please. If so i will have a look at it as well. But in most sites its priced at around 23k . If not then it'll start off a Defy vs Nexus dilemma

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

Question is about you - ask yourself whether you desire a better screen and can make the effort of moving to CM7 (takes 0.5-2 hours max)? If you want a phone that has better battery life out of the box and you don't care about a good screen (2.5x as many pixels) then the Optimus is the one for you.

With CM7 - the idiocy or the battery drain of the OEM ROM becomes irrelevant. Forget all of this - what does your wife say? Do that - Because if there's any problem, she will take your trip everyday - we won't!


.
Certainly i need a phone with a good screen and a better battery life out of the box. I am new to androids, not sure what exactly CM7 means. Could you please share a link for more info. Will this solve the battery problem ? What about warranty ?

In btw i ain't married yet .
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 16:25   #4477
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Certainly i need a phone with a good screen and a better battery life out of the box. I am new to androids, not sure what exactly CM7 means. Could you please share a link for more info. Will this solve the battery problem ? What about warranty ?
In btw i ain't married yet .
CM7 is Cyanogen Mod 7 which is a custom Operating system based on Android. These are usually termed as custom 'ROM's because of the fact that these custom OS's gets installed into Phone's ROM, replacing the existing factory OS. CM7 is an AOSP ROM - that means it is an Android Open Source Project. There are lots of custom ROMs available, you can check out xda developer forum for more insight.

CM7 should offer you a better battery life. Warranty will be void if you install CM7 or any other custom ROM because that requires you to get super user access to the phone by a process called rooting. Yes that means you are getting root permissions.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 17:17   #4478
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Talking re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Warranty will be void if you take a phone with a custom ROM installed to the service center - that means that you have removed/tampered with the underlying ROM as setup by the OEM manufacturer.

However, all custom ROMs can be overwritten in a matter of 15 mins if you know what you are doing, and you follow instructions - atleast for most phones you can flash an official ROM and the service center will be unable to determine if you had tampered with the underlying OEM ROM or not. So in most cases, your warranty is safe even after installing custom ROMs unless you really go experimental and screw it up
There, I corrected it!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 17:39   #4479
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
There, I corrected it!
That's right and wrong. I have a fallback strategy in place if I have to take mine to the service center. It's not only the rom that you have to revert back to factory one, but the recovery image (in case you installed a custom recovery like CWM, overwriting the stock recovery program) and everything! A smart service technician can boot into recovery and point out - "Hey, you have a custom recovery program installed, no warranty for you!!"

So you have to go the RUU way to reset everything back to original. This is not like flashing the factory ROM back, but you actually run the program in your PC keeping the phone connected over USB. (RUU - ROM Update Utility)

By the way, what you quoted doesn't appear to be my words. (though it shows that it is written by me) Is that written by you in some old posts?

Last edited by clevermax : 4th July 2011 at 17:51.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 18:15   #4480
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
That's right and wrong. I have a fallback strategy in place if I have to take mine to the service center. It's not only the rom that you have to revert back to factory one, but the recovery image (in case you installed a custom recovery like CWM, overwriting the stock recovery program) and everything! A smart service technician can boot into recovery and point out - "Hey, you have a custom recovery program installed, no warranty for you!!"
Absolutely. Here, I am talking of flashing what is called a FULL SBF ROM for motorola. So it automatically overwrites everything - you only get stock recovery with that. If someone doesn't do a full flash, then yes, what you said is valid.

Though the key is to know what works for your handset mfr - Motorola uses SBFs via RSD lite, Samsung uses its format via ODIN. You mention a RUU.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
By the way, what you quoted doesn't appear to be my words. (though it shows that it is written by me) Is that written by you in some old posts?
No no. I just wrote it there and then. I quoted your post and changed the line to clearly mention that installing custom ROM is not a one way street. Somehow your previous post seemed to indicate that custom ROM = no warranty. Hence, I rewrote it within the quotes, in my own words!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 19:21   #4481
BHPian
 
karty_83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 165 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just came across this post for HTC Desire : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/gadget...ml#post2403746

Is this offer still on ? Is it worth stretching the budget over Blade or P500 ?

Last edited by karty_83 : 4th July 2011 at 19:23.
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 22:10   #4482
Senior - BHPian
 
gowda79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 1,469
Thanked: 141 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys how do we download mp3 songs directly on to the phone through net.
gowda79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 22:40   #4483
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 359 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79
Guys how do we download mp3 songs directly on to the phone through net.
just like you download it in your pc... I just tried after getting curious
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th July 2011, 23:42   #4484
Senior - BHPian
 
Klub Class's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: KA17|KL65|KL41
Posts: 3,426
Thanked: 669 Times
Default

Is there any way around there to send business card in android 2.2?

Thanks in advance!
Klub Class is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th July 2011, 03:40   #4485
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,581
Thanked: 3,241 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klub Class View Post
Is there any way around there to send business card in android 2.2?

Thanks in advance!
I think ... Handcent SMS. You cannot recieve them in any way.

Issue 2412 - android - Add contact when receiving a sms with vcard - Android - An Open Handset Alliance Project - Google Project Hosting

one of those "you've got to be kidding" gaffes with Android.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:36.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks