Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2011, 08:50   #5056
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,899
Thanked: 3,768 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Guys,
A basic query - trying to decide if I should go the Android way or Blackberry.

My requirements are basic - I want a phone with a good qwerty keypad (am ok with touch screen qwerty keypad but should be good), a good browser that supports most websites (my current Samsung Star 3G doesn't!) and good apps for blogging & social apps.
How would you be pleased if your requirements are fulfilled within 8K??

Blackberry is dying operating system. See their sales figures and you will realise it has dropped more than 10% market share. Android is the future.

A Android with a solid keyboard - Samsung Galaxy Pro at 7.5K after discount coupon (RCOMLB1) - Buy Samsung Galaxy Pro B7510 (Platinum Silver) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

Also checkout the ORIGINAL Google Phone here - SEALED GOOGLE HTC NEXUS ONE MOBILE WITH BILL | eBay
This will be on the latest gingerbread and always the first to get Updates direct from Google and in terms of hardware quality is class apart from the competition (though warranty may be a issue on these US handsets)

Otherwise Moto Defy as suggested by F150 is also a good handset

Last edited by dkaile : 24th July 2011 at 08:51.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 09:15   #5057
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Just wanted to let everyone know that there is now a FREE remote desktop application available in the market!

It is called 2x client rdp, I have tested it and it works perfect.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 09:23   #5058
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax
Just wanted to let everyone know that there is now a FREE remote desktop application available in the market!

It is called 2x client rdp, I have tested it and it works perfect.
What is the use of this application ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 09:41   #5059
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Swindon, UK
Posts: 696
Thanked: 84 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live To Jive View Post
Ordered a Nexus S from Letsbuy for 17999. Thanks to vijuvarghese for the coupon. Now just waiting to get my hands on it. Transaction was done by a friend. He's also planning on buying one once he see's mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmytravel View Post
Have you received it already. How is the phone? My friend is also looking for one in similar range. Can you please share your review.
The product has now been shipped. Expecting it any moment.
Live To Jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 09:56   #5060
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,022
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I just cannot hold myself ordering a Motorola Defy for 14.xx from Letsbuy.

The only problem is, where do i sell my 8 month old Samsung i5801 (galaxy 3) ? The mobile shops in shopping malls quote a pathetic 5 k for this phone which is flawless and is running on Froyo!

:(
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 10:10   #5061
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,899
Thanked: 3,768 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^
You wont feel a remarkable upgrade from G3 to Defy. Would be better to hold on a little longer and then wait for the like of Nexus-S et all to drop to 15k and go for that...
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 10:28   #5062
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,022
Thanked: 454 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
You wont feel a remarkable upgrade from G3 to Defy. Would be better to hold on a little longer and then wait for the like of Nexus-S et all to drop to 15k and go for that...
Actually Defy suites a lot of my requirements, like:

1. A screen bigger than an atleast IPhone 2G.
2. Higher resolution than iPhone 2G
3. Froyo out of the box.
3. No GPS locking issues as in G3.
4. No Swype issues as in G3 (with official froyo update)
5. Somewhat resistant to liquid.


Nexus S though good, is a bit bulky (i think it weights around 129 g as against 118 g of Defy). And have been hearing a lot about overheating issues in SGS and SGSII, so a bit reluctant.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 10:47   #5063
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150

What is the use of this application ?
You can connect to your home or office pc through phone, that means, logon to the pc interactively. Some screenshots are given several pages back in this thread.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 11:42   #5064
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Paradise (wish it was)
Posts: 313
Thanked: 91 Times
Default Any ways to improve htc desire speaker quality?

Any tips/tricks/patches/apps to improve the speaker output on htc desire? It is horribly bad if you want to use the speaker for any call if more than one has to listen to the conversation.

I repent buying this phone now.
null is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 12:26   #5065
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Any ways to improve htc desire speaker quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by null View Post
Any tips/tricks/patches/apps to improve the speaker output on htc desire? It is horribly bad if you want to use the speaker for any call if more than one has to listen to the conversation.

I repent buying this phone now.
Speaker sucks in the Desire. That's one hardware which is not doing justice to the price you pay. You have to live with that, can't do anything about it!

EDIT: If you are on a custom ROM like CM7, you can tune the speaker to give better output using DSP Manager. I am using that.

Last edited by clevermax : 24th July 2011 at 12:29.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 13:44   #5066
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,580
Thanked: 3,326 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
I just cannot hold myself ordering a Motorola Defy for 14.xx from Letsbuy.

The only problem is, where do i sell my 8 month old Samsung i5801 (galaxy 3) ? The mobile shops in shopping malls quote a pathetic 5 k for this phone which is flawless and is running on Froyo!

:(
of course man. resale of phones is zero. a friend was once quoted 1.5k for a month old E5 from the very showroom he bought it for, (about 12k).


go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
^
You wont feel a remarkable upgrade from G3 to Defy. Would be better to hold on a little longer and then wait for the like of Nexus-S et all to drop to 15k and go for that...
Very much disagree. Its WAY faster, esp with CM7. Miles ahead of even than the stock Galaxy SL in responsiveness.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 14:11   #5067
Senior - BHPian
 
sagarpadaki's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 2,619
Thanked: 1,238 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am facing these problems with my 2 month old Galaxy SL I9003

->Signal reception goes down suddenly and does not come back for a long time.EDGE signal goes off intermittently
->When the phone is restarted it takes 2 minutes to catch the signal.Sometimes it does not catch even after 5 mins and i have to restart again
->The phone vibrates like crazy when on call and sometimes even during idle
->The phone switches off suddenly and does not restart until the battery is removed and reinserted .
->When i download an application from market it does not install at all.It just vanishes after downloading 100%.No trace of the application what so ever.i Have to download it again!

My phone is running on the following specs

Firmware:GT I9003 froyo 2.2.1
Baseband: I9003DDKA5
Kernel version-2.6.32.9
root@SE-S605#1
Build number -Foryo.DDKB2

Is there a update available that can solve these or have i got a lemon?
sagarpadaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 14:33   #5068
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ghaziabad
Posts: 995
Thanked: 738 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki
I am facing these problems with my 2 month old Galaxy SL I9003

->Signal reception goes down suddenly and does not come back for a long time.EDGE signal goes off intermittently
->When the phone is restarted it takes 2 minutes to catch the signal.Sometimes it does not catch even after 5 mins and i have to restart again
->The phone vibrates like crazy when on call and sometimes even during idle
->The phone switches off suddenly and does not restart until the battery is removed and reinserted .
->When i download an application from market it does not install at all.It just vanishes after downloading 100%.No trace of the application what so ever.i Have to download it again!

My phone is running on the following specs

Firmware:GT I9003 froyo 2.2.1
Baseband: I9003DDKA5
Kernel version-2.6.32.9
root@SE-S605#1
Build number -Foryo.DDKB2

Is there a update available that can solve these or have i got a lemon?
Same problems with my galaxy ace as well, running froyo. Not very regular, but crazes me out when it chooses to strike.
Another problem I've encountered is when I keep the wifi on my phone running for some time. After 1-2 hours the phone apparently switches off, but usually does not start back on, unless I remove the battery and put it back in.
Anyone know hot to fix this???
roy_libran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 14:48   #5069
Senior - BHPian
 
dkaile's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Meerut, India
Posts: 2,899
Thanked: 3,768 Times
Default re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^ These software glitches are very common on Samsung phones. Apparently a Factory Reset does solve it for many people and resets the radio back to normal. Also after a factory reset, do not install any app for a day or two to rule out if any app is causing the issue for you. Many a times many apps have been known to cause such issues. Root and custom recovery are also know to do this on some models. Thirdly, try to remain stock/unrooted with original recovery image for some days to rule all these out. If nothing works, take it to service station to rule out actual hardware issues.
dkaile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th July 2011, 14:54   #5070
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki

My phone is running on the following specs

Firmware:GT I9003 froyo 2.2.1
Baseband: I9003DDKA5
Kernel version-2.6.32.9
root@SE-S605#1
Build number -Foryo.DDKB2


Is there a update available that can solve these or have i got a lemon?
Move to XXKB3 firmware. You can find more info on XDA forums.


http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1004647

Last edited by F150 : 24th July 2011 at 15:07. Reason: Added more info
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 06:09.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks