Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2011, 12:03   #5311
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,598
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Was it a Temp Root or a permanent one. afaik permanent demands S-off. If you have rooted an htc without S-off, you are a genius. What model, what OS version, which rooting software and any tricks? I will be delighted and dkaile even more so.
The root access stays permanently after reboots. I simply used unrevoked3 to root. I have seen several HTC Desires rooted and still S-ON in forums. (as the signature of members) Mine is a PVT-4 S-LCD version but still having an erasesize of 20000.

Last edited by clevermax : 5th August 2011 at 12:07.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 12:17   #5312
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,160
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@clevermax: In other words Unrevoked gives you permanent root without an S-off. I had to use AlphaRevX since Unrevoked was not there for the Inc 2. Only AlphaRevX just does S-off and install anndroid. Then you have to install the rest to get su following a post on XDA. easy but takes a bit more of work. Now that Unrevoked and AlphaRevX have joined hands let us hope for more and faster goodies. Also, I did see somewhere that following criticism htc may do away with the S-on.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 12:30   #5313
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,598
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
@clevermax: In other words Unrevoked gives you permanent root without an S-off. I had to use AlphaRevX since Unrevoked was not there for the Inc 2. Only AlphaRevX just does S-off and install anndroid. Then you have to install the rest to get su following a post on XDA. easy but takes a bit more of work. Now that Unrevoked and AlphaRevX have joined hands let us hope for more and faster goodies. Also, I did see somewhere that following criticism htc may do away with the S-on.
Yes that's correct, unrevoked gave me permanent root without requiring S-Off. I want to go S-Off as well, will attempt only after researching further on how to achieve it safely.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 13:29   #5314
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,566
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The SGS2 2.3.4 upgrade is showing amazing improvement in Battery life.

My usual apps(three mails, office mail, Facebook, gtalk) are running and after 7 hours since i removed from charger my battery shows 84%. Usually it would be around 65%.

Definitely feel the battery life has gotten better with this firmware.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 13:54   #5315
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,160
Thanked: 3,755 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes that's correct, unrevoked gave me permanent root without requiring S-Off. I want to go S-Off as well, will attempt only after researching further on how to achieve it safely.
If you have root then you do not need S-off. I always thought that Unrevoked got you S-off. I know AlphaRevX did get S-off. Now you may have to check the new site (rovoltuionary.io) and package whether it supports your phone. The Btea was there in AlphaRevx just in case someone reported a 'brick' then the just had to disable the key generation and the system was safe. Went very smoothly. You may see my posts on XDA and AndroidForums.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 14:19   #5316
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,566
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods



That is the quadrant score i am getting after the 2.3.4 update. Its the maximum out of four runs while the other three were over 3500 but around 3680
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 14:26   #5317
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprucegoose View Post
Motorola has never been big in India.
Regardless of the quality of the hardware.
And i think Motorola has shutdown their India operations...
that's why no new phones have come out lately
That is bad news! Who would service these phones a year down the line? How would the situation be for spares/ repairs/ warranty related issues with Motorola?
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 16:02   #5318
BHPian
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bangalore
Posts: 161
Thanked: 71 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Thanks a lot for all the valuable advice, I kind of eliminated HTC, and now the race is between LG and Samsung, leaning towards LG.


Where in Bangalore sir? 8500 is tempting.



One interesting stuff to note, another friend of me, who was following this, called up a friend who works for Motorola(not software), and the reply came, "dont go for Motorola phone"
8500/- on letsbuy.com using voucher.
xotiq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 17:20   #5319
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
That is bad news! Who would service these phones a year down the line? How would the situation be for spares/ repairs/ warranty related issues with Motorola?
I'm not sure if this is the case.. I think i read it somewhere, but i have a dodgy memory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
That is the quadrant score i am getting after the 2.3.4 update. Its the maximum out of four runs while the other three were over 3500 but around 3680
i got 4100+
but then i'm running Cognition 1.31 and have OCed my phone to 1.6 GHz.
Additionally i changed the CPU governor to performance when i'm running the benchmarks.

Last edited by Sprucegoose : 5th August 2011 at 17:23.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 17:56   #5320
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,566
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@Sprucegoose.

The new lightning rom 5 based out of KG6. Do we need to root or just do the odin way of updating by using the PDA file alone?

I am having doubts if i can just flash the rom with the PDA file alone in ODIN and see how the Lightning rom is.

I dont want to root the phone yet.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 18:00   #5321
BHPian
 
Sprucegoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 311
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Sprucegoose.

The new lightning rom 5 based out of KG6. Do we need to root or just do the odin way of updating by using the PDA file alone?

I am having doubts if i can just flash the rom with the PDA file alone in ODIN and see how the Lightning rom is.

I dont want to root the phone yet.
I think doing it from the PDA file alone should be good enough.
It should be mentioned while installing the ROM if it is pre Rooted and /or comes with the required Kernel.

When installing Cognition 1.31, i went the PDA route and it did everything for me, but if you want to install Darky's ROM 2 then you gotta flash the Kernel first.
Sprucegoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 18:26   #5322
BHPian
 
sids911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Pune, India
Posts: 384
Thanked: 39 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The SGS2 2.3.4 upgrade is showing amazing improvement in Battery life.

My usual apps(three mails, office mail, Facebook, gtalk) are running and after 7 hours since i removed from charger my battery shows 84%. Usually it would be around 65%.

Definitely feel the battery life has gotten better with this firmware.
Is that with an official ROM or a custom one?
sids911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 19:44   #5323
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,566
Thanked: 2,040 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Is that with an official ROM or a custom one?
Its an official ROM but yet to be released through Kies. Difference is that you will update through ODIN and not through KIES.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 21:12   #5324
Senior - BHPian
 
wildon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,405
Thanked: 1,040 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

The Google navigation with voice really rocks in android
I will be using it in the forthcoming trip to Ooty this month. I already have a MMI device too, let see who wins the contest.

The only downside i see is its need an internet connection.

Name:  snap20110805_210215.png
Views: 248
Size:  57.2 KB Name:  snap20110805_210141.png
Views: 246
Size:  58.6 KB
wildon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2011, 21:18   #5325
Senior - BHPian
 
DCEite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: NCR
Posts: 3,044
Thanked: 474 Times
Default

Guys,

Good news ! I gog my sgs delivered by Letsbuy today. The order was made on Monday.

And the pleasent surprise is that this phone is july"11 model and is shipped with Gingerbread.

This phone rocks for 19k
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:54.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks