Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2011, 19:44   #5866
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,145
Thanked: 13,726 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I still do not have the courage to root my android
Well, we software guys have little more faith with beta stuff.

I am thinking, did my brief venture with WajkIUI did something to my baseband files? I thought baseband files come as part of the ROM.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th September 2011, 22:12   #5867
Team-BHP Support
 
Samurai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: B'lore-Manipal
Posts: 22,145
Thanked: 13,726 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I called TBHP Android Doctor (phamilyman) and I think it is fixed now. Since my phone always worked after new ROM update, I never really bothered with the baseband setup. It was set to Central Europe settings. Now I installed the correct baseband files sent from phamilyman and set the baseband to Indian settings. Now I have to see whether I lose reception on road again.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 13:22   #5868
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just received the SGP Glass shield and Neo Hybrid case for GS2 that I had ordered couple of days back. Sharing some pics
Attached Thumbnails
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-20110916_122009.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-27022009677.jpg  

Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-27022009678.jpg  

Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 13:25   #5869
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,432
Thanked: 1,725 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@invisble

I am trying out the Batista rom. Just installed today morning. Some changes are pretty good including the theme based power settings which has shortcuts to capture screen shot in one click rather than pressing two buttons.

Overall the ROM looks smooth.

Only issue i am facing is that i lost call recording from Litening rom. Though the Batista thread claims call recording is available, i am unable to get the same in my phone.

The phone feels far more smooth and the fonts and themes are very good.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 13:59   #5870
Senior - BHPian
 
Invinsible's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,257
Thanked: 60 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@invisble

I am trying out the Batista rom. Just installed today morning. Some changes are pretty good including the theme based power settings which has shortcuts to capture screen shot in one click rather than pressing two buttons.

Overall the ROM looks smooth.

Only issue i am facing is that i lost call recording from Litening rom. Though the Batista thread claims call recording is available, i am unable to get the same in my phone.

The phone feels far more smooth and the fonts and themes are very good.
Batista Rom is good overall however there are few bugs reported with the Rom, like the phone gets hanged and battery life may not be as good as litening. Currently on Revolution 2.6 tried it with speedmod T27, T39, Ninphetamine 2.1.3, 2.1.2, Stock kernal, Ragemod T27. Overall best battery life I got was Ninp.2.1.2, stock kernal, Speedmod T27. Testing nin.2.1.3 again with the SGP glass on, there is no sensitivity issue same with Stock kernal. With Speedmod had issue with sensitivity plus it doesn't support boot animation, not that it really matters.
Invinsible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 17:29   #5871
BHPian
 
akshay_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys,

Is it a good idea to buy a used samsung galaxy s i9000 for 14.5k with 6 months warranty remaining?

I don't want to buy a new one spending 20k because a couple of thousands more and i can buy the SGS2. I dont want buy the SGS2 either because samsung's 3D phone and SGS3 is due on early 2012.

I plan to use this phone for atleast a year, and hoping that it will get Ice cream sandwich.

P.S- I feel that the entry level android phones like galaxy ace,pop,fit are a waste of money and that is why i am buying an used mature high end android device.

Last edited by akshay_b : 19th September 2011 at 17:50.
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 18:11   #5872
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,557
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Guys,

Is it a good idea to buy a used samsung galaxy s i9000 for 14.5k with 6 months warranty remaining?

Akshay_b: I can give you my Samsung Galaxy 3 for less than that!!

On a serious note, a galaxy s i9000 is not worth more than 9 or 10K!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 18:32   #5873
BHPian
 
akshay_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Akshay_b: I can give you my Samsung Galaxy 3 for less than that!!

On a serious note, a galaxy s i9000 is not worth more than 9 or 10K!!
Galaxy 3 is a lot cheaper than than galaxy S bro, Infact a new galaxy 3 costs less than 10k. A brand new galaxy S i9000 is 20k
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 18:35   #5874
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,557
Thanked: 431 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Galaxy 3 is a lot cheaper than than galaxy S bro, Infact a new galaxy 3 costs less than 10k. A brand new galaxy S i9000 is 20k
I know Akshay, but mobile phones drop in value within a week of release in the market. My phone for sale was not serious, unless you are serious about paying me

You could pay maybe 40% of bill value!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 18:41   #5875
BHPian
 
akshay_b's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 362
Thanked: 10 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
I know Akshay, but mobile phones drop in value within a week of release in the market. My phone for sale was not serious, unless you are serious about paying me

You could pay maybe 40% of bill value!
Yes i'm aware of that but i've been looking for an used galaxy S since a month and 14.5 was the lowest that i could find, I think the price is high because of the phone, If it is galaxy S, people buy it with their eyes shut.

And thank you, I was looking for a phone with a bigger screen Lost my Galaxy spica recently
akshay_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 22:29   #5876
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,311 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
I called TBHP Android Doctor (phamilyman) and I think it is fixed now. Since my phone always worked after new ROM update, I never really bothered with the baseband setup. It was set to Central Europe settings. Now I installed the correct baseband files sent from phamilyman and set the baseband to Indian settings. Now I have to see whether I lose reception on road again.
LOL. Thanks for the kind words but its quite simple. Baseband is normally set to US T-Mobile 3.4.2-107-4 or -9. You must use the baseband switcher to reset it to "Singapore/Indonesia/Malaysia/India" baseband though I suspect the US T-Mobile baseband *shows* more signals (but practically its the same signal!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Galaxy 3 is a lot cheaper than than galaxy S bro, Infact a new galaxy 3 costs less than 10k. A brand new galaxy S i9000 is 20k
No way boss. These phones' resale drops like a rock. 10-12k tops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Here is an announcement for a new app. Hope most of you guys will be interested.
Super kickass. Will install and use it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Infact my worries of rooting the phone is the above - Due to extensive travel, signal strength battery life and connectivity are very important and if i screw up the day is lost!

I still do not have the courage to root my android
Do it on your weekly off. Sammy phones can be flashed in 3 mins or lesser. Buy a pro license of titanium backup - thats all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post

I flashed the second rom then (XKPB) and a new problem has re-surfaced. The screen starts getting dimmer as time passes. So assume I began with a brightness of 100% when I start playing Angry Birds. In every few seconds, 10% brightness keeps reducing and lets say in about a minute, the screen becomes pitch dark!

This is damn weird and I have never encountered such an issue. Any Ace users on official India GB ROM? I need the ROM version please!
a. What did you do?
b. Bhai, how can a new problem, resurface?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 22:33   #5877
BHPian
 
Bluengel180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 119
Thanked: 58 Times
Lightbulb Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Need help asap

Where exactly do you put in the coupon codes on letsbuy.i'm up till the credit card details window and i dint see any box :/
Bluengel180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th September 2011, 23:45   #5878
Senior - BHPian
 
nishantgandhi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 1,219
Thanked: 150 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
a. What did you do?
b. Bhai, how can a new problem, resurface?
a. Nothing extra-ordinary. Just flashed a new ROM via ODIN. But the screen keeps flickering and becomes dimmer. I guess the display is gone. Will finally have to take it to the dreaded service center

b. Good catch!
nishantgandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 00:16   #5879
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,593
Thanked: 3,311 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
Need help asap

Where exactly do you put in the coupon codes on letsbuy.i'm up till the credit card details window and i dint see any box :/
When you add it in, it says "Enter i-mint/PAYBACK ID" - chnage the drop down to coupon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantgandhi View Post
a. Nothing extra-ordinary. Just flashed a new ROM via ODIN. But the screen keeps flickering and becomes dimmer. I guess the display is gone. Will finally have to take it to the dreaded service center
Sure the proximity sensor has no issue? Tried flashing a Froyo ROM, if it works!
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th September 2011, 00:18   #5880
BHPian
 
Bluengel180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 119
Thanked: 58 Times
Lightbulb Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@moto defy owners.

What are my options for 2.3?I want something easy-to use as my sister will be using the phone
Bluengel180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 09:28.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks