Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 17:46   #6766
BHPian
 
Zenster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sydney
Posts: 334
Thanked: 93 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Samsung has announced that they would be upgrading the S2 to ICS. God knows when that will happen. Anyways, what is the latest version available for S2? I am still on 2.3.3 XWKF3 as of now.
I think (not sure though) 2.3.5 is now officially out in India (over KIES). I am personally running 2.3.5 CheckROM Revolution HD 3.1.1 based on XWKJ3 downloaded XDA. There are many other 2.3.5 versions available (both stock and modded) on XDA, if u wanna try them..

Hope the xda guys work some ICS Magic for the S2 soon
Zenster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 18:11   #6767
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^^ For WAJKIUI or any MIUI, is it necessary to flash Nordic/ CEE Froyo rom? or can we directly try from our Indian Froyo SEA15?
How about CG codes downgrade ability? This thread is worrying me.

One extract from XDA:

Quote:
With that explained let’s get to business with versions:

CG Version 2: SBF 2.21 / 2.34 / Chinese (Éclair)
CG Version 3: SBF 2.51 (Éclair)
CG Version 4: SBF 3.4.2 (Froyo)
CG Version 5: SBF 4.5.0 / 4.5.1 (Gingerbread)

If you try to flash a lower ID version than the one already on your phone, you will just get a Black screen after booting or a screen telling you to flash an official rom.
So, with this in mind, you can now hop between Android versions without screwing up your phone.
If you have an Éclair Defy and would like to keep the ability to downgrade to it, you should ONLY install FIXED SBFs of the Android Version you want to install, and then use the corresponding Nandroid Backup for that Fixed SBF.
Source: XDA: DEFY ALL IN ONE GUIDE
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 19:50   #6768
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
^^^ For WAJKIUI or any MIUI, is it necessary to flash Nordic/ CEE Froyo rom? or can we directly try from our Indian Froyo SEA15?
How about CG codes downgrade ability? This thread is worrying me.
You can install it directly on Indian froyo. between froyos there is little problem. if u run into any issues, we'll talk - i dont want to post more complicated stuff on this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Thanks for that & Yeah, I am also getting such issues with proximity sensor with current Indian Froyo. So I need to press the lock/power key to bring back the screen . So i guess its better to try WajkIUI rom before experiencing any real ICS stuff.
No not like that - in Indian ROM - the protocol is screen off by default and you just press the power button to switch it on/off.

The problem i was getting with WAJKIUI is that the proximity sensor switches off the screen (so u see this dull red light next to LED indicator) and you need to wave a few times in front of the screen for the screen to be unlocked. It can get rather painful in conference calls (my daily routine)

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Motorola Defy

WAJKIUI rocks..4 days and average 12 hours battery life with 1 hr wifi, 6 hrs BT connected to car and a superb theme choice.

No complaints as of now..prox sensor seems to work fine!!
Enjoy but isnt 12 hours on the lesser side? manage the data a bit! Its a beautiful n fast ROM though, no? Very well done it is!!

EDIT: I even tried installing bits n pieces of WajkIUI (launcher, dialer etc etc) into my CM7 but failed. So infact, my advise is to try out WajkIUI - if anyone has any issues - they can always flash CM7 or MIUI. (takes 3 mins, and then whatever time you take to restore your apps)

Last edited by phamilyman : 30th November 2011 at 19:53.
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 20:20   #6769
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Enjoy but isnt 12 hours on the lesser side? manage the data a bit! Its a beautiful n fast ROM though, no? Very well done it is!!
Actually I seem to get more than that - its just my paranoia about calls and the data manageability.

Typically from Morning 7 till night 10 is a good 15 hours managed on a single charge..

Can someone explain the following:

Model : MB 525 - I know this
Android version: 2.3.7 [is this for Wajkiui ROM?]
CPU: 1.1 Ghz [How? Stock is 800 Mhz right?]
Internal memory: 1.05 avail out of 1.24 GB [total] - I understand this one
SD Card...
etc etc

Now does this WajKIUI rom automatically overclock the CPU?
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th November 2011, 23:19   #6770
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Actually I seem to get more than that - its just my paranoia about calls and the data manageability.

Typically from Morning 7 till night 10 is a good 15 hours managed on a single charge..

Can someone explain the following:

Model : MB 525 - I know this
Android version: 2.3.7 [is this for Wajkiui ROM?]
This is the android version as has been compiled in the version of the ROM you downloaded
CPU: 1.1 Ghz [How? Stock is 800 Mhz right?]
overclocking. should be 1 ghz. where did u read this?
Internal memory: 1.05 avail out of 1.24 GB [total] - I understand this one
SD Card...
etc etc

Now does this WajKIUI rom automatically overclock the CPU?
Yes of course, all custom ROMs automatically OC the CPU to 1 ghz.
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 00:00   #6771
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Model : MB 525 - I know this
Android version: 2.3.7 [is this for Wajkiui ROM?]
CPU: 1.1 Ghz [How? Stock is 800 Mhz right?]
Now does this WajKIUI rom automatically overclock the CPU?
Me too flashed it tonight & here also I can see that the CPU is Overclocked to 1.1 GHZ rather than standard & stable 1Ghz clock.
Is there any way to underclock it to 1GHz?
Any standard settings available under Wajkiui? Or do I have to install some separate apk like setvsel something?

Thanks
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 08:44   #6772
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes of course, all custom ROMs automatically OC the CPU to 1 ghz.

1.1 ghz WAS in "about phone" settings

I face no lags or any issue so am happy with it.

My other phone Samsung Galaxy 3 running Froyo is OC to 900 Mhz without issues..if i push it more than there is a sudden spurt in speed and battery comes down drastically..hence have set it at 900..as a compromise..

This OC / custom rom thingy has really made me learn a lot!!

Thank you Phamilyman - I was scared to initially even root my phone!

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
Me too flashed it tonight & here also I can see that the CPU is Overclocked to 1.1 GHZ rather than standard & stable 1Ghz clock.
Is there any way to underclock it to 1GHz?
Any standard settings available under Wajkiui? Or do I have to install some separate apk like setvsel something?

Thanks
My 2 cents - If all is well, why tinker with the OC thing? Do you have any specific issue?

Cheers

Last edited by Rehaan : 1st December 2011 at 13:11. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the MULTIQUOTE button instead of making multiple consecutive posts in the same thread. Thanks.
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 10:08   #6773
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Agree with headers - chill man. I wasnt even aware that wajkiUI is OCed to 1.1 ghz. Relax - these ROMs have evolved with tens of thousands of users and over many many months.

If you have any worries - just install the latest version in a month/fortnight's time - that will be even more stable

@headers: You're welcome. Fear is often of the unknown, than being based in any reality.

I wouldnt OC the G3 to 900 mhz on a routine basis. that is a 50% OC. IMHO - +25-30% OC is max one should do by oneself. If a custom ROM has set it a bit higher (wajkiui in this case) then let it be.

PS: can u repost a screenshot or tell me where u saw the 1.1 ghz? Normally i check it via the "CPU Spy" application.

Last edited by phamilyman : 1st December 2011 at 10:12.
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 10:22   #6774
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@headers:
With CM 7.1 (Android 2.3.7) I get roughly two days plus battery life, which means I normally charge every third day.
This includes 100 minutes + of voice calls (out of which 30 minutes will be on speaker phone), around 30-60 minutes of data, plus alarm playing some music and vibrating for few minutes.
12 - 15 hours of battery life is not good, but your usage is also high. I wonder if someone with my type of usage has any report on battery performance of Wajkiui. I expect similar battery life with the same level of eye-candy. More fancy stuff will probably hit the battery as well.

Edit: I checked what is taking up so much of my 2 GB SD card. It turns out that Sygic is taking up close to 1.1 GB of space. I removed some other language files and the utilization is down by 150 MB or so. I will remove some more things (different voices that are available) and maybe keep just a couple of them. That will free up another 200 MB or so.

Last edited by S_U_N : 1st December 2011 at 10:25.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 10:32   #6775
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,589
Thanked: 454 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
PS: can u repost a screenshot or tell me where u saw the 1.1 ghz? Normally i check it via the "CPU Spy" application.
errr..how do i post the screenshot of that screen??

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@headers:
With CM 7.1 (Android 2.3.7) I get roughly two days plus battery life, which means I normally charge every third day.
This includes 100 minutes + of voice calls (out of which 30 minutes will be on speaker phone), around 30-60 minutes of data, plus alarm playing some music and vibrating for few minutes.
12 - 15 hours of battery life is not good, but your usage is also high. I wonder if someone with my type of usage has any report on battery performance of Wajkiui. I expect similar battery life with the same level of eye-candy. More fancy stuff will probably hit the battery as well.

Edit: I checked what is taking up so much of my 2 GB SD card. It turns out that Sygic is taking up close to 1.1 GB of space. I removed some other language files and the utilization is down by 150 MB or so. I will remove some more things (different voices that are available) and maybe keep just a couple of them. That will free up another 200 MB or so.
Personally, I prefer Google Tracks and Google Maps to Sygic..

Maverick is also good. Somehow I found Sygic way too slow for outdoor trails!!!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 10:50   #6776
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

SUN: Not as much battery life hit as the phone will be simply beautiful

headers: use androSS.
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 11:13   #6777
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,781
Thanked: 380 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by headers View Post
Personally, I prefer Google Tracks and Google Maps to Sygic..

Maverick is also good. Somehow I found Sygic way too slow for outdoor trails!!!!
Do these need GPRS? If yes, then I don't think they make sense for me since I am on a limited plan.
Also the newer version of Sygic 11.2 is running quite fine on my CM 7.1. On stock Froyo, the older version of Sygic was indeed bad.


Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
SUN: Not as much battery life hit as the phone will be simply beautiful
Will try this if I get some time. Somehow I could not find any good videos on what I should be expecting with this ROM.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 11:15   #6778
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,601
Thanked: 3,451 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

good videos? Just download and install it - you can take our word for it!!

If you don't like it, go into recovery and reinstall CM7.

Of course, it needs titanium backup to restore the apps and all nicely
phamilyman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 12:51   #6779
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I had flashed this Wajkiui ROM last night. All was working fine. Thats when I replied here.

Then after some playing with settings & menus, I restarted the phone to set CPU frequency to 1GHZ, then again wiped Data/Cache again. Also tried to clear Dalvik cache but after restart the phone was stuck on Moto logo.
I tried reinstalling the ROM again but was not helping.

So I had to flash the Stock Indian FROYO SBF using RSD Lite.

BTW, whats the best VSEL value for this ROM for 1GHz frequency?
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 14:01   #6780
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore/Gulbarga
Posts: 161
Thanked: 30 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Yesterday night I connected my Defy to the laptop and executed software updater from Motorola (I know there is nothing beyond Froyo) just to see what happens. Surprisingly I got a message informing availability of some software update and I thought wow! Motorola might have come up with a GB upgrade and I may be the first one to upgrade stock Froyo !! he he he he. . . .After software update and a restart, the only noticeable change was "an even more slower" Defy!
whitesquall is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 07:56.

Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks