Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 1st December 2011, 14:22   #6781
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,581
Thanked: 633 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall
Yesterday night I connected my Defy to the laptop and executed software updater from Motorola (I know there is nothing beyond Froyo) just to see what happens. Surprisingly I got a message informing availability of some software update and I thought wow! Motorola might have come up with a GB upgrade and I may be the first one to upgrade stock Froyo !! he he he he. . . .After software update and a restart, the only noticeable change was "an even more slower" Defy!
Defy has so many custom roms on XDA. You just need to google and experiment.
F150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:33   #6782
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
I had flashed this Wajkiui ROM last night. All was working fine. Thats when I replied here.

Then after some playing with settings & menus, I restarted the phone to set CPU frequency to 1GHZ, then again wiped Data/Cache again. Also tried to clear Dalvik cache but after restart the phone was stuck on Moto logo.
I tried reinstalling the ROM again but was not helping.

So I had to flash the Stock Indian FROYO SBF using RSD Lite.

BTW, whats the best VSEL value for this ROM for 1GHz frequency?
Congratulations - you are quickly moving up the learning curve

Jokes aside - why did you wipe data? That was not required.

The vsel values one takes is normally set in bootmenu by the ROM itself - the safe frequencies as per Defy CM7 are:
[COLOR=RoyalBlue]300-30 600-46 1000-58[/COLOR]
In general, UNLESS you are spending significant time outdoors in Chennai heat (or suchlike) you should stick with what the ROM writers have come up with!

That said, am curious how you managed to end up in this logjam - ideally the phone should've booted like normal.

The adventurous values can be gotten here: [updated.15.02][App]Overclocking/Undervolting Helper - xda-developers

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Yesterday night I connected my Defy to the laptop and executed software updater from Motorola (I know there is nothing beyond Froyo) just to see what happens. Surprisingly I got a message informing availability of some software update and I thought wow! Motorola might have come up with a GB upgrade and I may be the first one to upgrade stock Froyo !! he he he he. . . .After software update and a restart, the only noticeable change was "an even more slower" Defy!
LOL. Word of the day: Custom ROM.

btw, i've already given you the setvsel solution for this - did you not try that?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 15:57   #6783
BHPian
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Bangalore/Gulbarga
Posts: 161
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
LOL. Word of the day: Custom ROM.

btw, i've already given you the setvsel solution for this - did you not try that?
@phamilyman: I do not want to try setvsel on my stock ROM. Yes, custom rom is the word of the day! I have sent you a PM in this regard
whitesquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 16:05   #6784
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
@phamilyman: I do not want to try setvsel on my stock ROM. Yes, custom rom is the word of the day! I have sent you a PM in this regard

You SHOULD try setvsel on the stock ROM to make it non STOCK..

Custom ROM is the next step..

BTW before Setvsel is ROOTING your Defy..Have you done that?

if not use superoneclick and root the phone!!

Am I correct Guruji? [read Phamilyman]
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 17:03   #6785
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

yaar, setvsel removes the lag in the stock ROM! I used it for a couple of days this weekend

of course the steps are:
a. ROOT
If custom ROM then:
b. 2nd init
c. reboot into recovery and flash custom ROM.
if no custom ROM then:
b. Setvsel

but ROOT is the root of all happiness
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 22:10   #6786
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

on a side note, I checked out the Galaxy Note in detail yesterday. While its selling in the market, I managed to get my doctor to return it either for a tablet or the SGS2.

Note is simply a pain to use for normal calling and messaging. You can hardly use it while driving or walking around (and here i mean something as simple as picking out a phone to call).
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2011, 22:31   #6787
BHPian
 
offroad_maniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Thane-Mumbai
Posts: 453
Thanked: 35 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

A quick update.
Reinstalled the Wajkiui ROM, set the CPU to 1GHZ/58Vsel. The battery temperature was constant 38C minimum. (During day, out in the sun, it will cross 40-41C)

Also there seems to be some issue with graphics as I was trying Quadrant benchmark, the 3D test was showing all white objects.
BTW, the score was 2368

SO I changed my ROM to CM7.1 Update 11.11.11.
Seems faster than Wajikiui, also I did not face any graphic related issues till now. Quadrant score is 2015.
Been hardly 20 Mins using it.

Currently searching for a method to update the Indian Baseband into Cm7's existing list.

Last edited by offroad_maniac : 1st December 2011 at 22:33.
offroad_maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 07:39   #6788
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,414
Thanked: 1,679 Times
Infractions: 0/1 (4)
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Note is simply a pain to use for normal calling and messaging.
I have to concur there but only for those with not really large hands. For people with large hands like me the note makes it up with ease of texting and as many said here the device is not a brick to use as a phone and form factor works wonder.

It makes no sense to buy a note if you already feel S2 is big in your Hands. I still repeat for bigger hands the Note is not a problem.

I am thinking of getting a Note as a Tablet and yet use it as a phone as my S2 just never ceases to amaze me..
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:56   #6789
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Talking Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
A quick update.
Reinstalled the Wajkiui ROM, set the CPU to 1GHZ/58Vsel. The battery temperature was constant 38C minimum. (During day, out in the sun, it will cross 40-41C)

Also there seems to be some issue with graphics as I was trying Quadrant benchmark, the 3D test was showing all white objects.
BTW, the score was 2368

SO I changed my ROM to CM7.1 Update 11.11.11.
Seems faster than Wajikiui, also I did not face any graphic related issues till now. Quadrant score is 2015.
Been hardly 20 Mins using it.

Currently searching for a method to update the Indian Baseband into Cm7's existing list.
[Tool] basebandswitcher V4 multilanguage V0.7 (22.07.2011) - xda-developers - download and flash it via recovery, then run it.

Good to see now you're setting voltages just fine as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
I have to concur there but only for those with not really large hands. For people with large hands like me the note makes it up with ease of texting and as many said here the device is not a brick to use as a phone and form factor works wonder.

It makes no sense to buy a note if you already feel S2 is big in your Hands. I still repeat for bigger hands the Note is not a problem.

I am thinking of getting a Note as a Tablet and yet use it as a phone as my S2 just never ceases to amaze me..
The other thing which practically happens is that one can use the S2 with a screen guard but the Note is almost always in its case - which makes it further unwieldy esp to take calls and handle it while on the move.

And yes, its still personal preference all the way - I have fat fingers and the note brought me no joy (besides a bigger hassle of handling it). Its seriously overkill vs the S2 atleast for me.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:20   #6790
Senior - BHPian
 
headers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Greater Chennai
Posts: 4,548
Thanked: 424 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

^^ I actually wonder how people can handle such HUGE phones..

For me, personally even the SGS2 is rather BIG!!!
headers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 10:35   #6791
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 561 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys need your help !! I am planning to sell off my Nokia 5800 and upgrade to Android phone in the range of 8-10K. I have zeroed down on:

1. LG Optimus Net 690
2. Samsung Fit
3. HTC Explorer
4. Dell XCD35

Please let me know which would be good for:

1. Good Wi-Fi and internet support for my home WiFi
2. Navigation - Good GPS support for Offline maps
3. As a descent music player
4. Touch responsive
5. Development friendly - I am planning to try my hand at Android App dev
6. Good after sales service and the OS should be upgradable on the phone

I am not into gaming and can do away with camera capabilities.

Last edited by neoonwheels : 2nd December 2011 at 10:37.
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:29   #6792
BHPian
 
Bluengel180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 119
Thanked: 58 Times
Lightbulb Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys need your help !! I am planning to sell off my Nokia 5800 and upgrade to Android phone in the range of 8-10K. I have zeroed down on:

1. LG Optimus Net 690
2. Samsung Fit
3. HTC Explorer
4. Dell XCD35

Please let me know which would be good for:

1. Good Wi-Fi and internet support for my home WiFi
2. Navigation - Good GPS support for Offline maps
3. As a descent music player
4. Touch responsive
5. Development friendly - I am planning to try my hand at Android App dev
6. Good after sales service and the OS should be upgradable on the phone

I am not into gaming and can do away with camera capabilities.
If you're willing to sacrifice on the camera the DELL XCD35 ticks all boxes. it has a MASSIVE dev community and recently got an ICS port

But check out the new "IDEA BLADE" too, if you can live with the branding it is the exact same phone for a much cheaper cost
Bluengel180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:54   #6793
Senior - BHPian
 
neoonwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,621
Thanked: 561 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluengel180 View Post
If you're willing to sacrifice on the camera the DELL XCD35 ticks all boxes. it has a MASSIVE dev community and recently got an ICS port

But check out the new "IDEA BLADE" too, if you can live with the branding it is the exact same phone for a much cheaper cost
By ICS, do you mean the Android 4 version (Ice Cream Sandwich)?? That is a news to me then since the last I knew, it was running in Froyo 2.2
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 11:58   #6794
Senior - BHPian
 
vikram_d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 2,380
Thanked: 936 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Soemthing to look out for. Can Non-HTC Android users check to see if they have this present on their phones.

Your Android Phone Is Secretly Recording Everything You Do (Updated)
vikram_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd December 2011, 12:02   #6795
BHPian
 
Bluengel180's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 119
Thanked: 58 Times
Lightbulb Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
By ICS, do you mean the Android 4 version (Ice Cream Sandwich)?? That is a news to me then since the last I knew, it was running in Froyo 2.2
Yes,ICS = Android 4.0

The great thing about having a phone with a huge developer support is that you dont have to wait for official updates.the motorola defy ships with 2.2 yet most of the people on this forum are on gingerbread due to the developer support the phone enjoys.
Bluengel180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 23:12.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks