Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:20   #7621
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 441
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
14.8k in ebay(brand new),16.7k in Adexmart, 16.9k in yebhi.com. pls check.
Thanks for the information. I always don't understand the ebay pricing. For same product why there are so many pricing. In the case of neo V there are various price quotes from 14.8k to 20k. Why is it so.
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 3rd February 2012, 15:38   #7622
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,649
Thanked: 1,365 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Android, on the other hand, handles it in a much better way - suppose an app wants to send an e-mail but it is not its primary functionality. It raises that intent - the system then calls out, 'hey, who can send an e-mail for this app?' The apps that has a listener for this specific intent can raise their hands, and user is presented with an option to use whichever app they want to use to send the e-mail. The user can also set one as default. This is great, as it is versatile; tomorrow when you install a new e-mail app, the app who wants to send e-mail can make use of the new e-mail app's capabilities as well.
Absolutely agree on that. BUT you miss the perspective.

Pick up the lumia or the omnia W - see how the preloaded stuff integrates (with everything from FB to twitter to linkedin to gmail etc) very nicely and homogenously. Android may possibly be more powerful - i'm not disputing that.

But you had to install viber na? The average user's out of the box experience (or with all the clutter in the app store) means that he doesnt get as snazzy an integrated experience OUT of the box.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 15:52   #7623
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 352
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007

Thanks for the information. I always don't understand the ebay pricing. For same product why there are so many pricing. In the case of neo V there are various price quotes from 14.8k to 20k. Why is it so.
In case of ebay, there are many dealers who sells. We dont know how this dealer who sells neo v for 14.8k has sourced the product.
HighOctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:59   #7624
BHPian
 
rki2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 441
Thanked: 44 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
In case of ebay, there are many dealers who sells. We dont know how this dealer who sells neo v for 14.8k has sourced the product.
But is it safe to buy in such a way. If at all something goes wrong, then ebay will be responsible isn't it??. Is it normally recommended to buy this way. Why i am asking this question is that i normally buy from Flipkart.com only and till today all the products are fine.I have no ideas about ebay.

Thanks in advance
rki2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 19:39   #7625
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 352
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007

But is it safe to buy in such a way. If at all something goes wrong, then ebay will be responsible isn't it??. Is it normally recommended to buy this way. Why i am asking this question is that i normally buy from Flipkart.com only and till today all the products are fine.I have no ideas about ebay.

Thanks in advance
Please read terms & conditions of ebay. Ebay does not take any responsibilites. I have seen some duplicate chineese earphones are sold in the name of reputed companies. Whereas Flipcart is the best online retailer in India, almost all the feedback are positive
HighOctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 20:03   #7626
BHPian
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 801
Thanked: 100 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Absolutely agree on that. BUT you miss the perspective.

Pick up the lumia or the omnia W - see how the preloaded stuff integrates (with everything from FB to twitter to linkedin to gmail etc) very nicely and homogenously. Android may possibly be more powerful - i'm not disputing that.

But you had to install viber na? The average user's out of the box experience (or with all the clutter in the app store) means that he doesnt get as snazzy an integrated experience OUT of the box.

I believe Android ICS 4.0 will provide a better and more seamless Integration than the current versions - one of its main enhancements is supposedly better UI and apps integration.

--Ragul
Ragul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:14   #7627
BHPian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 37
Thanked: 55 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Yes motorola sells lesser than Sammy etc, esp in India, but they have a decent lineup, sell okay (and are now a google company!). That said, any mfr can have issues - there are many samsung users who've had hardware issues as well (a couple of pages back someone mentioned he'd given in his S2 for replacement of sthg, a good friend had his SGSL motherboard replaced). that said, atleast on this thread havent heard of any hardware issues on motorola phones at all.

and frankly, all A.S.S will have the same clueless monkeys - hardly 2-5% of the time one needs to go there. Its not a pentax vs canon thing - the phone is pretty good esp if you are outdoors a lot (given pune rains).

otherwise dualcore phones are starting 19-20k. Future proof investment I say - no point stopping at a 17k device in that case.
I am not buying the phone but its for my Sis. So she is not a crazy user of stuff. She wants an android or a windows mobile too.Any windows mobile options?

Anvancy
anvancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 21:47   #7628
Senior - BHPian
 
joshguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,327
Thanked: 47 Times
Default which model do i buy?

Hi all i am yet to decide on a android phone,please help me choose one from the list i am attaching.initially thought of s2 but i feel it is useless for my kind of usage.

I need a fast phone with good camera and do let me know why you are suggesting a particular model

I am predominantly looking for choice between Galaxy S,Galaxy R and Galaxy S plus

Thanks
Attached Images
 

Last edited by joshguy : 3rd February 2012 at 21:50.
joshguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 22:39   #7629
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chennai
Posts: 4,649
Thanked: 1,365 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Anvancy/joshguy - Galaxy R. Zimbly brilliant.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd February 2012, 23:28   #7630
BHPian
 
karty_83's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 398
Thanked: 165 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Anvancy/joshguy - Galaxy R. Zimbly brilliant.
As per the local store guy, Galaxy R will be discontinued soon (or already has). It ain't available online either.
karty_83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 00:00   #7631
BHPian
 
HighOctane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 352
Thanked: 157 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83

As per the local store guy, Galaxy R will be discontinued soon (or already has). It ain't available online either.
If Samsung discontined Galaxy R, then they would have not officially anounced Icecream sandwich update for Galaxy R during coming March. I dont think they would have stopped this model. Why should they?
Other models getting ICS update are Note and SG S2. No update for Galaxy S, S LCD or S plus. Nexus already has ICS.
HighOctane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 00:10   #7632
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,266
Thanked: 456 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

HTC says there is a WI-FI security flaw in their android based devices.

HTC acknowledges long-running WiFi security flaw, says it deliberately kept it quiet -- Engadget

I am not sure if it affects phones in India but please be careful and do use the OTA Fix as soon as available.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 06:46   #7633
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 4,965
Thanked: 1,684 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Just got my Wildfire S to replace the Samsung I5510 which proved to be too expensive to repair. Quite happy with it, seems a lot faster. Had a pain, as usual,finding BSNL settings for data.
sgiitk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 08:26   #7634
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,301
Thanked: 428 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane

If Samsung discontined Galaxy R, then they would have not officially anounced Icecream sandwich update for Galaxy R during coming March. I dont think they would have stopped this model. Why should they?
Other models getting ICS update are Note and SG S2. No update for Galaxy S, S LCD or S plus. Nexus already has ICS.
Yeah. Samsung is fooling people by flooding the market with many galaxy devices and most of them don't have am update to ICS. Alas
My next phone is definitely a nexus.
F150 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th February 2012, 08:36   #7635
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,542
Thanked: 327 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle
HTC says there is a WI-FI security flaw in their android based devices.

HTC acknowledges long-running WiFi security flaw, says it deliberately kept it quiet -- Engadget

I am not sure if it affects phones in India but please be careful and do use the OTA Fix as soon as available.
Hope custom firmware users do.not have this issue.. But need to check whether they provided any new radio for my device
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1534 17th July 2014 17:54


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 14:49.

Copyright 2000 - 2014, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks