Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 18:34   #7801
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Are you saying using SGS2 in its stock condition is just not good enough?
SGS2 stock is good. But custom ROMS make it awesome!!

I used my SGS2 from August to Feb on Official ROM.

Been using a Custom ROM for the last 15 days... and let me tell you... I am never using official Samsung ROM again!!

So enjoy your phone until you are comfortable with the idea of rooting/custom roms...

P.s. Rooting / Custom ROM does not necessarily mean voiding Warranty. There are ways of get rid of the dreaded yellow triangle
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 18:45   #7802
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 358
Thanked: 166 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ

Been using a Custom ROM for the last 15 days... and let me tell you... I am never using official Samsung ROM again!!
Yeah. That is what I have heard everwhere...that rooting makes the phone even more awesome. I have not done it because I really do not feel the need to do so and second- I do not really understand the process fully. Ofcourse I can read the process on net but I am just lazy to do that. I am just hoping that the new ICS will ne able to match the custom ROMS.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 18:58   #7803
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I am just hoping that the new ICS will ne able to match the custom ROMS.
It would take a miracle.

I tried the unofficial Samsung ICS ROM... and its disappointing...

Using Pure ICS 5.0. Its fantastic.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 19:09   #7804
BHPian
 
Saanil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 358
Thanked: 166 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ

It would take a miracle.
Currently I think only one phone is offering ICS officially- Galaxy nexus. I dont think its launched yet in India. It is available at only one place - alfa. My friend is looking for a high end droid and he is confused between S2 and Nexus. He thinks Nexus's ICS will be much better than samsung's. Hardware wise both phones are the same (I am talking about I9100G). Should he consider buying nexus over S2? There is a price difference of about 3k between both.
Saanil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 19:30   #7805
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Currently I think only one phone is offering ICS officially- Galaxy nexus. I dont think its launched yet in India. It is available at only one place - alfa. My friend is looking for a high end droid and he is confused between S2 and Nexus. He thinks Nexus's ICS will be much better than samsung's. Hardware wise both phones are the same (I am talking about I9100G). Should he consider buying nexus over S2? There is a price difference of about 3k between both.
IMO. S2 has good hardware.. but the software could be much much better. Too much bloatware.

Nexus software is much smoother and more refined. Nexus will always get instant updates too.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 21:40   #7806
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
IMO. S2 has good hardware.. but the software could be much much better. Too much bloatware.

Nexus software is much smoother and more refined. Nexus will always get instant updates too.
Guys,

No way is ICS closer to gingerbread. GB is more stable and better than ICS. My friend has nexus bought recently, My sgs2 beats it in all comparisons by great margin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
SGS2 stock is good. But custom ROMS make it awesome!!

I used my SGS2 from August to Feb on Official ROM.

Been using a Custom ROM for the last 15 days... and let me tell you... I am never using official Samsung ROM again!!

So enjoy your phone until you are comfortable with the idea of rooting/custom roms...

P.s. Rooting / Custom ROM does not necessarily mean voiding Warranty. There are ways of get rid of the dreaded yellow triangle
Rooting custom ROM in all senses means voiding warranty. Yellow triangle means that kernel being used is not the stock, there are many ways of getting rid of Yellow triangle and simplest is using a JIG.

Installing a different ROM is a simple processes if done by following steps religiously. If you are inteerested then kindly check this site which according to me has the best ROM for sure. CheckROM

Mod's Note: Please do not make back to posts. Use the multiquote feature to respond to all the posts at one go.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th February 2012, 23:37   #7807
Senior - BHPian
 
AbhiJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kolkata
Posts: 1,282
Thanked: 415 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Guys,

No way is ICS closer to gingerbread. GB is more stable and better than ICS.
I actually prefer ICS to GB.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Rooting custom ROM in all senses means voiding warranty.
If I flash the original ROM back, and use the jig, wont it mean "unvoiding" the warranty, for all intents and purposes?

Please correct me if I am wrong... but If there is a hardware defect in my phone tomorrow, I could simply flash the official ROM, use the jig and give it to samsung for repair!! Unethical? Maybe. Possible? Yes!

Last edited by AbhiJ : 20th February 2012 at 23:46.
AbhiJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 08:15   #7808
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
I actually prefer ICS to GB.
=============
If there is a hardware defect in my phone tomorrow, I could simply flash the official ROM, use the jig and give it to samsung for repair!! Unethical? Maybe. Possible? Yes!
That's what i said Buddy. If I reflash the stock rom then we are back in business i.e SGS2 is back in warranty. But on any flashed ROM warranty is voided.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 09:25   #7809
BHPian
 
sen2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 536
Thanked: 609 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I am kind of a newbe to Androids. My sister has a Galaxy S2, which I can steal in the night to do some fiddling around - as long as I don't brick it.
Now, i am getting very interested in rooting the device and installing a custom ROM to it. But, my earlier attempts at doing similar stuff with DD-WRT and with PSP has resulted in ... lets say dead pieces. So, can someone please give me a good site from where I can get good detailed information and guide on what and how on this subject?
Please post links to sites where the info is presented in a non-geeky layman terms. I kind of get very confused when I browse around the xda. So a specific link to a specific thread will be hugely appreciated.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 09:31   #7810
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,042
Thanked: 3,586 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
No way is ICS closer to gingerbread. GB is more stable and better than ICS. My friend has nexus bought recently, My sgs2 beats it in all comparisons by great margin.
The stability is a given. I new OS is version x.0 which to me means work in progress. It is a (near total) rewrite, so some stability and performance compromises are only to be expected. Wait for 4.1 (or at least 4.0.1 or even 4.0.2).

One question: Any experiences with link2SD - speed, hassle, etc.

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st February 2012 at 09:32.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 09:58   #7811
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sen2009 View Post
I am kind of a newbe to Androids. My sister has a Galaxy S2, which I can steal in the night to do some fiddling around - as long as I don't brick it.
Now, i am getting very interested in rooting the device and installing a custom ROM to it. But, my earlier attempts at doing similar stuff with DD-WRT and with PSP has resulted in ... lets say dead pieces. So, can someone please give me a good site from where I can get good detailed information and guide on what and how on this subject?
Please post links to sites where the info is presented in a non-geeky layman terms. I kind of get very confused when I browse around the xda. So a specific link to a specific thread will be hugely appreciated.

Hi Sen,

SGS2 is one phone which cannot be bricked very easily. It's a great piece of technology marvel as on date. I have already shared a link of ROM that i am using and since I have used this ROM I have never looked back. The mods of this ROM are very professional and helpful. The main guy behind this ROM is a 19 yr old engr from Kerala. One cannot learn swimming without entering water and you cannot appreciate the beauty of Kashmir without experiencing it, Same way you cannot you cannot appreciate this ROm unless you have used others. This is by far one of the best used by me. Pls check it out and let me know if you need any help.

CheckROM

Make sure you take backup of data and apps before flashing ROM. Preferably by using TB (Titanium backup) App.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:06   #7812
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
The stability is a given. I new OS is version x.0 which to me means work in progress. It is a (near total) rewrite, so some stability and performance compromises are only to be expected. Wait for 4.1 (or at least 4.0.1 or even 4.0.2).

One question: Any experiences with link2SD - speed, hassle, etc.
I have been told by MODS thats 4.0.2 is stable and good. What google is struck is at Visidon Applock. This application uses face recognition to unlock the phone. But users are able to use clicked pictures to unlock the phone. Google is working on this issue which is one of the major reason for holding release of ICS.

Links2SD - No I have not used it, It is basically to move apps installed on interal SD card to external SD card and reverse. It is a little different from app2sd as in this case you can select the app you want to move. Pls find the link for explanation if required.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:40   #7813
BHPian
 
sen2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 536
Thanked: 609 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Hi Sen,

SGS2 is one phone which cannot be bricked very easily. It's a great piece of technology marvel as on date. I have already shared a link of ROM that i am using and since I have used this ROM I have never looked back. The mods of this ROM are very professional and helpful. The main guy behind this ROM is a 19 yr old engr from Kerala. One cannot learn swimming without entering water and you cannot appreciate the beauty of Kashmir without experiencing it, Same way you cannot you cannot appreciate this ROm unless you have used others. This is by far one of the best used by me. Pls check it out and let me know if you need any help.

CheckROM

Make sure you take backup of data and apps before flashing ROM. Preferably by using TB (Titanium backup) App.
Thanks Gadgetfreak for the information. I got myself started from a corner on these. From what I can take in from the last 30 minutes of browsing is that its quite a complicated journey.
I need to understand how to root the device, so that titanium backup can work. The I need to figure out how to work this ODIN thingy and then but the phone in download mode. I will get back here with more and more queries on this.
sen2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:47   #7814
BHPian
 
indian21r's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 731
Thanked: 262 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
Currently I think only one phone is offering ICS officially- Galaxy nexus.
Nexus S has already received the ICS upgrade. ICS is really awesome, Battery life has improved almost by 50% and Speed is also very good.


@sen2009, XDA developers is still your best bet for rooting and flashing ROM. Infact all rooting sites also will give you similar information unless they have developed a new root method.

In between , I have rooted Samsung, LG & HTC phones. The stuff is really simple and easy. May take a little extra time to get the hang at first.

For people who want to remove only the bloat-ware, they can root the phone and install titanium backup or something similar to uninstall just the bloat-ware.
indian21r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st February 2012, 10:57   #7815
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 59
Thanked: 38 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by indian21r View Post
Nexus S has already received the ICS upgrade. ICS is really awesome, Battery life has improved almost by 50% and Speed is also very good.


@sen2009, XDA developers is still your best bet for rooting and flashing ROM. Infact all rooting sites also will give you similar information unless they have developed a new root method.

In between , I have rooted Samsung, LG & HTC phones. The stuff is really simple and easy. May take a little extra time to get the hang at first.

For people who want to remove only the bloat-ware, they can root the phone and install titanium backup or something similar to uninstall just the bloat-ware.
I was not sure if I could mention other site name here, That's the reason I did not mention XDA forum name here.

Sen Xda for mobile rooting is like Team-BHP is for any car detail/issue/help. Correct me if I am wrong anywhere.
Gadgetfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 22:27.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks