Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2012, 02:13   #8371
Senior - BHPian
 
chevelle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: sacto
Posts: 1,290
Thanked: 503 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
I think the difference is that Google Wallet stores your credit card details on their server so that you don't have to enter the credit card details the next time. The same is the case with Apple Itunes where I had to enter my credit card details even if I had always downloaded free apps. This way, your security depends on how secure Google or Apple's systems are.
With an online purchase, you are taken to a secure page where you enter your credit card details but they are not stored anywhere.
Google use to have google checkout which did the same thing. It stored our information and we could do a 1-click checkout at most supported sites. It worked well for all the purchases i did for 2-3 years before i stopped using it and switched to paypal.

I don't see how this is different to those times. Also, i like to monitor my credit card activity every alternate day. Any suspicious thing gets reported and is taken care of. Till now there is only faulty transaction that took place with my card for $150 and i was refunded the same after reporting it.

Its as safe as using a credit card in store or at ATM where magnetic strips can be easily read.
chevelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 09:52   #8372
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Flashed an HTC Sense based GingerBread ROM - LeeDroid. Very fast. In fact, out of all ROMs I tried, this is the only ROM which has a snappy dialer just like the one in the original factory firmware. Goodies like quickoffice and adfree comes standard with this. This ROM really flies with LauncherPro and can beat CM7 in the same phone.

Got a very quick boot up time too, watch this video of my phone starting up from hibernation

Last edited by clevermax : 30th March 2012 at 09:56.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 10:49   #8373
Senior - BHPian
 
Warwithwheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: India
Posts: 1,251
Thanked: 1,013 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Either way, we are trusting our data, including card details, to Google. I don't like that ...but, what to do? If we want, we have to buy. If there is only one shop, we have to shop there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I have a very old card on which I have rejected all credit limit enhancement offers and this is the only one I use online. High limit cards should ideally not be used for online transactions as you stand to lose a lot more money in case the card details get into the wrong hands.
That's prolly one of the safest ways to go online with a Credit card.

Alternatively, you could apply for a add on card and preset the spending limit on the add on card. And use the Add on card exclusively for online transactions.

This would eliminate the need for handling multiple cards. Most CC service providers generate a single bill for both Primary and Add on. Obviously the payment to handle is also just one.

And the best part is you can change the preset limit anytime by just a phone call to the customer care of the CC provider!
Warwithwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 11:23   #8374
BHPian
 
redrage's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Bengalooru
Posts: 544
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

One of my friends got an update on his S2 G model, after updating it (10 Mb) , the phone is stuck at the start up screen!

Any S2 users recently faced this issue while updating?
redrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 11:49   #8375
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,173
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Flashed an HTC Sense based GingerBread ROM - LeeDroid. Very fast. In fact, out of all ROMs I tried, this is the only ROM which has a snappy dialer just like the one in the original factory firmware. Goodies like quickoffice and adfree comes standard with this. This ROM really flies with LauncherPro and can beat CM7 in the same phone.
Leedroid is always known for fast ROMs!

I have been using RSK Team's Sense 3.5 ROM (current version 7.1) for a while now and no FCs or any other issues till date.
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 12:07   #8376
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Leedroid is always known for fast ROMs!

I have been using RSK Team's Sense 3.5 ROM (current version 7.1) for a while now and no FCs or any other issues till date.
Checked that in XDA - looks to be a pretty cool ROM! Is it on Android version 2.3.4? How's the battery life? Performance I am not asking, assuming it to be decent or pretty good.

I flashed Leedroid to get a feel of it, but still on MIUI. I want to get off MIUI and use a Sense ROM for a while. This looks promising.


By the way, I had to flash the stock hboot table back to get LeeDroid working, I was on CM7 R2 table for MIUI. So flashing LeeDroid required an hboot change as well. Is it the same case with RSK's?

Last edited by clevermax : 30th March 2012 at 12:12.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 12:24   #8377
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,173
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Checked that in XDA - looks to be a pretty cool ROM! Is it on Android version 2.3.4? How's the battery life? Performance I am not asking, assuming it to be decent or pretty good.


By the way, I had to flash the stock hboot table back to get LeeDroid working, I was on CM7 R2 table for MIUI. So flashing LeeDroid required an hboot change as well. Is it the same case with RSK's?
Android 2.3.5
Sense 3.5
I am runing on droidzone supernova2 kernal

Regarding battery life, I cannot comment as my phone is always connected to 3G network for data access. I have the charger connected whenever I am near a power source!

RSK ROM requires CM7/R2 hboot. Anyway, changing hboot is not at all time consuming!
I also have one extra ext4 partition on my sd card. (did this while on MIUI AU) Not sure if this is helping in speeding up the ROM.

I was on v6 until yesterday and installed 7.1 just few hours back... Never had any problems with 6 and I don't expect much problems with 7.1 too... Using the Blue framework & Harlos framework did cause issues and I had to reinstall with stock htc framework!
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 12:26   #8378
Senior - BHPian
 
normally_crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,367
Thanked: 387 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by offroad_maniac View Post
The folders which starts with . 'Dot' are considered as hidden in under Unix environment. So what u seeing is completely normal. Just for into options of es file explorer & select the option to show hidden files also, I guess that should solve your issue.
For test in you can do following:
Connect your phone to PC with Mass storage mode. Create to folders 'Temp1' & '.Temp2' - with dot. Now from PC you can see both the folders but from mobile you should only see Temp1. .Temp2 will be visible only if show hidden files option is enabled from explorer.
Did this - I could then see the folder on the phone. But still under the LOST.DIR

If I have moved apps to the external sd - shouldnt they show up on the card ?

In other news - installed WanamLite v10.2 today based on LP3 the O2 UK ICS update- feels really good. V10 and V10.1 had lots of FC's and issues. Everything seems sorted on v10.2. Will run it for a week and check.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 12:32   #8379
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Android 2.3.5
Sense 3.5 I am runing on droidzone supernova2 kernal
RSK ROM requires CM7/R2 hboot. Anyway, changing hboot is not at all time consuming!
I also have one extra ext4 partition on my sd card. (did this while on MIUI AU) Not sure if this is helping in speeding up the ROM.
I was on v6 until yesterday and installed 7.1 just few hours back... Never had any problems with 6 and I don't expect much problems with 7.1 too... Using the Blue framework & Harlos framework did cause issues and I had to reinstall with stock htc framework!
Yes, changing hboot is only a 1 minute job but during that time, nothing bad should happen I do it through fastboot usb mode and not with the image zip file. Good that I can stay on my CM7 R2 table even with this ROM in question.

I also have an ext3 partition for more space for apps. Does ext4 work better in some way? And in RSK ROM, does it recognize the ext3/4 partitions in sd card and automatically identify it as internal storage for apps, without running any scripts after flashing?

Not familiar with the frameworks that you are mentioning. Care to shed some light?

Last edited by clevermax : 30th March 2012 at 12:35.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 13:05   #8380
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,173
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

I don't think there is any difference between ext3 and ext4 in terms of speed!

You have to choose the sd-ext option in the aroma installer.

The framework is something the dev team has done with regards to the UI. I am not sure about this as selecting this caused FCs for all the apps during first boot!

My current partition of sd card:
Partition | fs | capacity | free
sd-ext | ext4 | 1024 | 434.6 MB
sd-ext2 | ext4 | 1024 | 975.9 MB
sdcard | fat32 | 5030 | 1.7 GB
swap | swap | 513 MB

Application storage (Internal) shows 77 MB used and 210 MB free.

I did not run any scripts to move dalvik to sd-ext etc.
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 14:26   #8381
BHPian
 
ontheroad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: KL-01/KL-08
Posts: 297
Thanked: 140 Times
Default

Can someone recommend a good call recording software for Samsung Galaxy SL please?
ontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 14:40   #8382
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
I don't think there is any difference between ext3 and ext4 in terms of speed!

You have to choose the sd-ext option in the aroma installer.

The framework is something the dev team has done with regards to the UI. I am not sure about this as selecting this caused FCs for all the apps during first boot!

My current partition of sd card:
Partition | fs | capacity | free
sd-ext | ext4 | 1024 | 434.6 MB
sd-ext2 | ext4 | 1024 | 975.9 MB
sdcard | fat32 | 5030 | 1.7 GB
swap | swap | 513 MB

Application storage (Internal) shows 77 MB used and 210 MB free.
I did not run any scripts to move dalvik to sd-ext etc.
Thank you!
I see that you have two ext4 partitions. Why two of them are used? I am guessing one is for A2SD+. Is the second one required or recommended for this ROM for some optimization/speeding up purposes? Which class is the sd card?

And, is true two way call recording possible with the kernel you are using?

Too many questions.. I know

Last edited by clevermax : 30th March 2012 at 14:47.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 15:08   #8383
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,173
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thank you!
I see that you have two ext4 partitions. Why two of them are used? I am guessing one is for A2SD+. Is the second one required or recommended for this ROM for some optimization/speeding up purposes? Which class is the sd card?

And, is true two way call recording possible with the kernel you are using?
I created the second ext4 based on Lennox's recommendations for the MIUI Au ICS Rom. Never bothered to remove it after that.
RSK Rom does not mention anything about the second ext partition. I use a class 4 8GB card.
Never bothered about the call recording feature till date, so can't comment about that!
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 15:25   #8384
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,601
Thanked: 403 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
I created the second ext4 based on Lennox's recommendations for the MIUI Au ICS Rom. Never bothered to remove it after that.
RSK Rom does not mention anything about the second ext partition. I use a class 4 8GB card.
Never bothered about the call recording feature till date, so can't comment about that!
Thanks! and one final question -
What is your recovery? CWM or a touch capable recovery like 4EXT? Is that a requirement for RSK - because I've seen that they mention it as a requirement to install Runnymede ROM since the install wizard (AROMA Installer) needs a recovery with touchscreen drivers.

Last edited by clevermax : 30th March 2012 at 15:28.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th March 2012, 16:09   #8385
Senior - BHPian
 
pulsar56's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Singapore
Posts: 1,173
Thanked: 319 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Thanks! and one final question -
What is your recovery? CWM or a touch capable recovery like 4EXT? Is that a requirement for RSK - because I've seen that they mention it as a requirement to install Runnymede ROM since the install wizard (AROMA Installer) needs a recovery with touchscreen drivers.
My current recovery is 4EXT. But, I think I will have to update the recovery as touch does not work in Aroma Installer. I use the buttons to navigate in the installer.
pulsar56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

« The DSLR Thread | - »

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 08:37.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks