Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2012, 09:39   #9766
Distinguished - BHPian
 
nkrishnap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 3,472
Thanked: 4,060 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Recently updated my Samsung Galaxy note to the Andriod ICS 4.0.3. Liked the features and not much of a difference in terms of speed.

However, one wierd thing I notice when I browse the contacts, the phone hangs when I scroll the contacts and get to contacts starting from Alpabet "T". While searching the contacts all other alphabets work except for "T". The moment "T" contacts start off, the phone hangs and shuts down the contacts list.

My friends were teasing me that its the "T" Syndrome because my previous company started with "T".

Any possbile reasons for this and solutions if any?
nkrishnap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 09:49   #9767
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,580
Thanked: 3,324 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
My Swiftkey trial ran out and I was forced to revert back to the stock keyboard on my Ray. It is driving me insane!!

Tried to buy it from Google Play but despite it saying CC or Debit cards are accepted neither HDFC nor IDBI Debit card is working. HDFC Netsafe is not working either. Whats the deal here? Don't Indian CC or Debit cards work on GP?

Is there any solution? If not, is there some good Samaritan who can give me the apk hes purchased? I would buy without too much thought as without it I would not be using this phone. But Google has left me with no option.
Did you try the beta? try SwiftKey VIP Forum

debit cards aside - you need a credit card to do the job. it may not accept indian debit cards. IMO - visa credit cards work perfectly btw. It may recognize netsafe as not being a "permanent" credit card. tried with a regular credit card?
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 10:21   #9768
BHPian
 
Added_flavor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 608
Thanked: 725 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Samsung Galaxy S3 owners! This might be a one-off case, I don't know! But just to keep you guys informed, Samsung Galaxy S III is hot: bursts into flames and melts through its own casing -- Engadget
Added_flavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 11:02   #9769
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,108
Thanked: 3,687 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

@Added_flavor; Sorry but I could not resist this comment. The Samsung SIII is a hot phone, so can even catch fire!
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 13:55   #9770
BHPian
 
Abeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: UP-16
Posts: 199
Thanked: 12 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Finally visited the Samsung Service Center and they installed GB in my Note.

All back to normal now.
Abeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 14:37   #9771
BHPian
 
Newpunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 649
Thanked: 45 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Tried to buy it from Google Play but despite it saying CC or Debit cards are accepted neither HDFC nor IDBI Debit card is working. HDFC Netsafe is not working either. Whats the deal here? Don't Indian CC or Debit cards work on GP?
My Standard Chartered credit card works fine and I have made numerous purchases with it on the Google Play store. So maybe it only works with Credit cards and not Debit Cards.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 14:54   #9772
BHPian
 
vibhu_f430's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 196
Thanked: 63 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Guys,
Just updated my Note to ICS. No major changes, not much faster than before. Just that my battery hardly lasts me more than 7-8 hours ! My usage hasn't changed, and with GB my battery used to last me an entire day. Even longer sometimes.
Also this thing takes a good 2 hours for a full charge. Very annoying, Considering going back to GB.
Anybody else having the same problem?

@nkrishnap
I don't have the issue with 'T', But i noticed that scrolling through the contact list is not as fluid as before. It kinda gets 'stuck' and scrolls . Same issue with even the call logs. Scrolling used to be more fluid with GB.

EDIT : Just read back a few pages. Any idea if Samsung is going to release any fix anytime soon? 4.0.4 ?

Last edited by vibhu_f430 : 21st June 2012 at 15:05.
vibhu_f430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 16:28   #9773
Distinguished - BHPian
 
sgiitk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kanpur
Posts: 7,108
Thanked: 3,687 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
My Standard Chartered credit card works fine and I have made numerous purchases with it on the Google Play store. So maybe it only works with Credit cards and not Debit Cards.
By and large international trade only recognises Credit Cards. Your debit cards are Ok in ATMs though. I was informed of this by my CA before I left for UAE. When we were in the UAE last year, I only used my Debit cards in the ATMs. Incidentally, I am also with SCB.
sgiitk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 16:52   #9774
BHPian
 
ethan3686's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Chandigarh
Posts: 80
Thanked: 12 Times
Default

Can you buy apps on android with a local bank debit card as well? Like canara bank for example?

Last edited by ethan3686 : 21st June 2012 at 16:55.
ethan3686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 17:33   #9775
Senior - BHPian
 
F150's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PUNE
Posts: 1,554
Thanked: 642 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethan3686
Can you buy apps on android with a local bank debit card as well? Like canara bank for example?
No. Only credit cards.
Why do you want to risk your debit card, even if it were allowed ?
F150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 17:49   #9776
Senior - BHPian
 
VW2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: electricity
Posts: 2,467
Thanked: 1,779 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
No major changes, not much faster than before. Just that my battery hardly lasts me more than 7-8 hours ! My usage hasn't changed, and with GB my battery used to last me an entire day. Even longer sometimes.
Also this thing takes a good 2 hours for a full charge. Very annoying, Considering going back to GB.
Anybody else having the same problem?
The ICS on note is draining more battery. I can confirm too. But the overall change is very welcome and i didnt mind the battery problem. Anyway i charge it once a day for the time i spend on gaming in this device and watching videos.

No point in having a beautiful screen and using it for only calling and texting.

I feel the 4.0.4 is far more optimized than the 4.0.3. Criselko ROM is supposedly good on battery.

i am waiting for my note to be back so i can try the Criselko ROM
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 20:06   #9777
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
My HDFC Visa signature card is working without any issues in GP. Have bought few apps using that already.
Thats a credit card, I suppose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Did you try the beta? try SwiftKey VIP Forum

debit cards aside - you need a credit card to do the job. it may not accept indian debit cards. IMO - visa credit cards work perfectly btw. It may recognize netsafe as not being a "permanent" credit card. tried with a regular credit card?
I know about the Beta 3, and also been thru the revs. Really not inclined to use Beta stuff. Maybe as a last resort...

Netsafe is definitely not working. And I don't have a Credit Card. Netsafe, Debit cards and Netbanking have worked for me. So no joy... maybe I should just install some other keyboard. Maybe Swype, but even Swype is not comfy to use on this narrow screen. :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newpunter View Post
My Standard Chartered credit card works fine and I have made numerous purchases with it on the Google Play store. So maybe it only works with Credit cards and not Debit Cards.
Thanks for the info mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
By and large international trade only recognises Credit Cards. Your debit cards are Ok in ATMs though. I was informed of this by my CA before I left for UAE. When we were in the UAE last year, I only used my Debit cards in the ATMs. Incidentally, I am also with SCB.
If that is true, then the least Google could have done is not to display Debit Cards as a payment option. Just wastes so much time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
The ICS on note is draining more battery. I can confirm too. But the overall change is very welcome and i didnt mind the battery problem. Anyway i charge it once a day for the time i spend on gaming in this device and watching videos.

No point in having a beautiful screen and using it for only calling and texting.

I feel the 4.0.4 is far more optimized than the 4.0.3. Criselko ROM is supposedly good on battery.

i am waiting for my note to be back so i can try the Criselko ROM
Don't know about the Note/Samsung, but after experiencing the 4.0.3 on my Sony, I can only say it should never have been released. Its like half baked and buggy all the way. Sony is now out with 4.0.4 which is way better, but it still has its own share of bugs which are really annoying - LED notifications not working, magnetometer not working in GMaps, WiFi issues, Dialler very sluggish, and a lot more (all are known issues, and Sony/Ray is taking a lot of bashing for it). These may be Sony specific though. If suggest to those who haven't yet gotten on to 4.0.3 to give it a skip without a second thought. GB is way better. All you will miss is the bit better eye candy, until the next release is out.

Last edited by Raccoon : 21st June 2012 at 20:12.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:18   #9778
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,573
Thanked: 364 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thats a credit card, I suppose?
Yes of course.


Did anybody try Airdroid? It is a fantastic app to manage your phone from ANY BROWSER! No adb no cable. Just a WiFi hotspot or WiFi connection required. It can even be managed over internet. I like the live screen view and remote clipboard very much. File transfer is also so easy.

I guess this image says it all. Screenshot of Chrome browser in my PC. You can also see the live view of what's happening in the phone.
Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods-air.jpg

Last edited by clevermax : 21st June 2012 at 21:22.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:27   #9779
Senior - BHPian
 
Behemoth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 1,060
Thanked: 1,509 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon
My Swiftkey trial ran out and I was forced to revert back to the stock keyboard on my Ray. It is driving me insane!!

Tried to buy it from Google Play but despite it saying CC or Debit cards are accepted neither HDFC nor IDBI Debit card is working. HDFC Netsafe is not working either. Whats the deal here? Don't Indian CC or Debit cards work on GP?

Is there any solution? If not, is there some good Samaritan who can give me the apk hes purchased? I would buy without too much thought as without it I would not be using this phone. But Google has left me with no option.
SwiftKey 3 is currently on sale for 130 rs currently, almost at 40 percent discount.
Behemoth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2012, 21:48   #9780
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
Yes of course.


Did anybody try Airdroid? It is a fantastic app to manage your phone from ANY BROWSER! No adb no cable. Just a WiFi hotspot or WiFi connection required. It can even be managed over internet. I like the live screen view and remote clipboard very much. File transfer is also so easy.

I guess this image says it all. Screenshot of Chrome browser in my PC. You can also see the live view of what's happening in the phone.
Attachment 944847
Yes, I'v been using it for quite sometime. Works like a charm and does everything it says on the tin. Save for one behavior it rocks - it auto starts and stays in RAM. Even if you kill it resurrects. I need to use it say couple times a week but it wastes RAM on a permanent basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
SwiftKey 3 is currently on sale for 130 rs currently, almost at 40 percent discount.
Indeed! Just checked. Thanks for informing. But no use for me as I can't buy it.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 19:29.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks