Go Back   Team-BHP > Around the Corner > Shifting gears > Gadgets, Computers & Software


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 20:12   #9856
BHPian
 
sbkumar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 344
Thanked: 82 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I have had similar experience using swiftkey! unfortunately I bought the app and wasted 50.xx (when it was on sale) which i should not have.

I am not back to swype beta and touchpal. Both are good and i somehow like touchpal for its accuracy. In some cases swype is annoying, asking you to touch the word again to save it in dictionary whereas touchpal learns it automatically! However, speed & accuracy of both these keyboards is on par i believe. Have you guys tried the touchpal ?
Yes, I am using touchpal on my optimus one now. I had to move to stock 2.3.3 after a failed attempt to go to ICS from the custom CM7 I had earlier and had some trouble getting swype link. So thought of trying out touchpal. I find it almost the same or slightly better in terms of accuracy but the layout of Swype was better IMO. I am back to Swype after trying out Swiftkey on Note though.
sbkumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 20:17   #9857
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbkumar View Post
Yes, I am using touchpal on my optimus one now. I had to move to stock 2.3.3 after a failed attempt to go to ICS from the custom CM7 I had earlier and had some trouble getting swype link. So thought of trying out touchpal. I find it almost the same or slightly better in terms of accuracy but the layout of Swype was better IMO. I am back to Swype after trying out Swiftkey on Note though.
I think there are good stable MIUI Roms based off ICS for optimus. Check if you can get one.


BTW, did anyone try this game "Cut the Rope"? its a nice physics based game and addictive like hell. I am too much into it these days. serves as a good refreshment when sleepy at office
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 20:20   #9858
Senior - BHPian
 
clevermax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Tvm/Amsterdam
Posts: 1,565
Thanked: 360 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post
Thanks for the info.
What is your opinion about the prediction accuracy of Swype Vs Swiftkey?
I have not used Swiftkey to that extent to compare them.. Swype is accurate on longer words and not that accurate on shorter words like "is" "on" "if" "he" etc. The longer the word is, the more accurate it is.
clevermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 20:22   #9859
BHPian
 
A350XWB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: BLR/FRA/STR
Posts: 777
Thanked: 498 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
BTW, did anyone try this game "Cut the Rope"? its a nice physics based game and addictive like hell. I am too much into it these days. serves as a good refreshment when sleepy at office
Yes, I bought the game and loved it. But the only problem now is that all the levels are finished, even the recently released ones
A350XWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 20:23   #9860
BHPian
 
kousik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 200
Thanked: 36 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Dropped my Milestone XT720 and LCD developed a dead patch which is spreading. Given Motorola's thin service network and XT720 not being a popular model I am not hopeful I can repair it for cheap or quick. Don't want to spend too much on unplanned upgrade, again don't want to buy something that wouldn't run ICS. If I budget for 20k +/- 10% what are my options? 1G processor, 1G RAM, 5/8 MP camera are desirable. Though not a Moto fan, what about Atrix 2 (23k at flipkart)? Or Xperia? Or even Xolo?
kousik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 20:24   #9861
BHPian
 
kri$hna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bhagyanagarabad
Posts: 231
Thanked: 29 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Yes, I bought the game and loved it. But the only problem now is that all the levels are finished, even the recently released ones
i am almost done. So I am now trying to take all the stars in each level no skipping until i get the max out of every level ! ha ha
kri$hna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 20:25   #9862
BHPian
 
Athani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB
Yes, I bought the game and loved it. But the only problem now is that all the levels are finished, even the recently released ones
Get Touch the Rope Experiments.
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 20:54   #9863
Team-BHP Support
 
ampere's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 15,350
Thanked: 8,167 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by kousik View Post
Though not a Moto fan, what about Atrix 2 (23k at flipkart)? Or Xperia? Or even Xolo?
I am very happy with Atrix 2. At 23K, which ones get a 1GB RAM and GB Dual or equivalent? When I got there were none.
Not sure about today.

Only reason which pulled me to Atrix 2 was 1GB RAM more than anything else.
ICS official Moto upgrade announced for 3Q 2012.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 22:32   #9864
BHPian
 
rajanprash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chennai
Posts: 109
Thanked: 34 Times
Default

One of my friends needs to buy an android mobile for 20k. I was searching for a good mobile in that range and was shocked to find the that there is not even 1 mobile which fits the perfect slot. Back in Dec'11, I bought a Samsung Galaxy R for 19k. It was an awesome mobile which checked all the right boxes, with a 1Ghz dual core processor, 4.2" display, removeable battery and expandable memory card slot as well.
Now there is no mobile which has all these features. Either you get a 4"screen or no remove battery or no memory card option. Manufacturers have fragmented the market terribly.
HTC and Sony seem to be playing a very bad game. Even the HTC One S priced at nearly 30000 does not have expandable Memory. Manufacturers seem to be going the Apple way.
Apart from the Atrix2 there is no mobile which can check all the correct boxes. IMHO next would be no bluetooth transfer and no USB storage options in the future mobiles. Some manufacturers even remove the video calling feature which was there on my 4 year old sony ericsson Java mobile.
Is there any mobile at 20k which has the following features:
1.Expandable sd card slot
2.Removeable battery
3.Front facing camera which can be used for Video calling on 3G networks.
And finally one in which specs are VFM. I expect a dual core processor for 20k. A decent camera ( Unlike moto defy and atrix2 ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
rajanprash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th June 2012, 22:50   #9865
Senior - BHPian
 
adimicra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 1,555
Thanked: 1,051 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
One of my friends needs to buy an android mobile for 20k. I was searching for a good mobile in that range and was shocked to find the that there is not even 1 mobile which fits the perfect slot. Back in Dec'11, I bought a Samsung Galaxy R for 19k. It was an awesome mobile which checked all the right boxes, with a 1Ghz dual core processor, 4.2" display, removeable battery and expandable memory card slot as well.
Now there is no mobile which has all these features. Either you get a 4"screen or no remove battery or no memory card option. Manufacturers have fragmented the market terribly.
HTC and Sony seem to be playing a very bad game. Even the HTC One S priced at nearly 30000 does not have expandable Memory. Manufacturers seem to be going the Apple way.
Apart from the Atrix2 there is no mobile which can check all the correct boxes. IMHO next would be no bluetooth transfer and no USB storage options in the future mobiles. Some manufacturers even remove the video calling feature which was there on my 4 year old sony ericsson Java mobile.
Is there any mobile at 20k which has the following features:
1.Expandable sd card slot
2.Removeable battery
3.Front facing camera which can be used for Video calling on 3G networks.
And finally one in which specs are VFM. I expect a dual core processor for 20k. A decent camera ( Unlike moto defy and atrix2 ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Have a look at the Galaxy S advance. Ticks all your boxes!

Though I feel the Xperia P is the best phone in that range. 16 GB internal memory should be enough for most people unless someone wants to have a HD video library!
adimicra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 01:48   #9866
Senior - BHPian
 
Raccoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Poona
Posts: 1,832
Thanked: 105 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
One of my friends needs to buy an android mobile for 20k. I was searching for a good mobile in that range and was shocked to find the that there is not even 1 mobile which fits the perfect slot. Back in Dec'11, I bought a Samsung Galaxy R for 19k. It was an awesome mobile which checked all the right boxes, with a 1Ghz dual core processor, 4.2" display, removeable battery and expandable memory card slot as well.
Now there is no mobile which has all these features. Either you get a 4"screen or no remove battery or no memory card option. Manufacturers have fragmented the market terribly.
HTC and Sony seem to be playing a very bad game. Even the HTC One S priced at nearly 30000 does not have expandable Memory. Manufacturers seem to be going the Apple way.
Apart from the Atrix2 there is no mobile which can check all the correct boxes. IMHO next would be no bluetooth transfer and no USB storage options in the future mobiles. Some manufacturers even remove the video calling feature which was there on my 4 year old sony ericsson Java mobile.
Is there any mobile at 20k which has the following features:
1.Expandable sd card slot
2.Removeable battery
3.Front facing camera which can be used for Video calling on 3G networks.
And finally one in which specs are VFM. I expect a dual core processor for 20k. A decent camera ( Unlike moto defy and atrix2 ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
You have echoed my concerns exactly. Like you, I'd definitely not like to buy a phone with non removable battery or SD card slot, etc. Dunno what manufacturers are upto (definitely some cheap strategy afoot); but I'm quite clear - if I don't get close (at least!) to what I want, then I'm unlikely to buy. I know, I'd need to buy some phone, but then I'd rather settle for something lot cheaper if I don't get what I want rather than spend more and buy something that has stuff that I don't agree with.

First they started doing away with separate charges. Well, thats a lesser evil; but then some like HTC have also started removing stuff like magnetometers from devices priced in the upper mid range (HTC One V). Even el cheapo China phones have it! Now whats the use of providing a GPS unit if the magnetometer isn't present? Useless for navigation!

I'd suggest people not buy such products. If you buy (and grumble), you are encouraging them to make more such stuff. If you avoid these models, it will force them to accede to consumer demands. Consumer wants/needs should shape the future and not some crafty corporate strategy that takes freedom and convenience away and puts more money in manufacturer's coffers.

Last edited by Raccoon : 27th June 2012 at 01:53.
Raccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 02:33   #9867
BHPian
 
Athani's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 56
Thanked: 7 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash
One of my friends needs to buy an android mobile for 20k.
.......
.......
Is there any mobile at 20k which has the following features:
1.Expandable sd card slot
2.Removeable battery
3.Front facing camera which can be used for Video calling on 3G networks.
And finally one in which specs are VFM. I expect a dual core processor for 20k. A decent camera ( Unlike moto defy and atrix2 ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Sony xperia Sola. Everything except the front cam.
Athani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 09:45   #9868
BHPian
 
rohan_iitr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 992
Thanked: 401 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Is there any mobile at 20k which has the following features:
1.Expandable sd card slot
2.Removeable battery
3.Front facing camera which can be used for Video calling on 3G networks.
And finally one in which specs are VFM. I expect a dual core processor for 20k. A decent camera ( Unlike moto defy and atrix2 ). Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Wait for Samsung Galaxy Ace 2.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 10:24   #9869
Distinguished - BHPian
 
phamilyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Gurgaon
Posts: 5,582
Thanked: 3,244 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
I have not used Swiftkey to that extent to compare them.. Swype is accurate on longer words and not that accurate on shorter words like "is" "on" "if" "he" etc. The longer the word is, the more accurate it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$hna View Post
I think there are good stable MIUI Roms based off ICS for optimus. Check if you can get one
Swiftkey works best for those who write regular sentences - it is a linguistic software, so at the right place it will insert it, if, here there etc. It is pretty accurate even for wrongly typed words(of course of length 5-6 char or more). Its the ideal software for lazy people who don't like to spend time swyping. Because in swyping you must type a good portion of the word. In swype in the first 2/3 chars, it gets what i am saying. Of course, since I am always multi-tasking/moving around while using it - i cannot do swyping. If you have the luxury of typing most of your words, then of course swype is definitely more fun and faster.
phamilyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2012, 11:00   #9870
Senior - BHPian
 
S_U_N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,778
Thanked: 375 Times
Default Re: Android Thread: Phones / Apps / Mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raccoon View Post



Thanks so much S_U_N, but I have the paid version now. Anyway, its its really expiring day after, it won't be of any use. Btw, did you face any issues with the Beta version?

Well, this morning, when I rebooted my phone, the Beta expired. :(.
No, I did no face any issues with the Beta at all.

One advantage of Swype over Swift key or Touchpal is when you are in a moving vehicle and you need to type.
It is easier to drag your finger across the virtual keypad, then it is to accurately type some of the letters.
Hence Swype is easier and faster in that scenario.
S_U_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Quintessential Tablet PC Thread (Android, Apple, BB et al) vcash Gadgets, Computers & Software 1660 7th August 2017 16:25
BMW iDrive, Connected Drive & BMW Apps - Review & FAQ Thread! karan561 In-Car Entertainment 27 11th May 2017 00:39


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:32.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks